• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Ugly win against Montreal

I never know what to think about games like this.

One one hand, the 3rd period was probably the most dominant period I've seen from the Sabres yet. Lindy made a great call putting Vanek, Roy and Pominville together- I hope he doesn't stick with it long-term because it makes our lines very lopsided, but it's what we needed tonight.

Enroth definitely came to play. And for all the criticism I've given to Vanek over the years, he's ridiculous on the shootout. Nothing fancy- just blasts a wrist shot past the goalie and makes it look easy every time.

And we got the 2 points on the road.

On the other hand, we looked amateurish and unprepared for the first two periods. Enroth was the only one who came to play. As bad as Myers has been, I don't know why he was in the press box while Leopold was playing because Leopold was absolutely brutal. Even Regehr screwed up on the 2nd goal, doubling the guy with the puck while two Habs stood open on the other side.

We gave up a goal while on the PK to one of the worst PP teams in the league, and our PP failed to score on the 4 on 3 despite two chances totaling almost 4 min of playing time.

And because we showed up 2 periods late, we gave up the extra point to an EC team for the 3rd time in 5 games.

We got the win, but we didn't play well against a very average Montreal team. I know I'll probably take **** for complaining about a win, but just for once, try not to look at it in terms of this game but in terms of the overall picture. This team has shown some major flaws, many of which have carried over from previous years. And we don't get to play teams that are at Montreal's level or worse. If we put up that kind of effort against Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, Tampa Bay, even Toronto or the Rangers (not to mention 1/2 the Western conference), we lose.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • jcdavey
    • Dec 2006

Re: Ugly win against Montreal

my habs get pretty soft with leads

it's sickening

but that said, i'm glad they're playing better than the first couple weeks of the season

that cole on enroth hit looked pretty nasty

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Sometimes, Op, you should just enjoy the win.

The third period and the SO were things of beauty.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

They won and are one point out of first in the East. All of that despite not playing their best yet.

Methinks you need to look at the big picture.

And, maybe, just maybe, admit that Vanek does not suck at scoring goals. He is one of the best goal scorers in the NHL.

You always say there is never anything good in a loss. If that is true, back off *****ing about wins. You always say that is all you want of the team. So they win and you still are not happy.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

Ugly win, no consistency from their top players, no heart, they are in first place in the division. I wonder what will happen when they get those things in a line.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

And, fwiw, the PK is 3rd in the league and the PP 11th.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

As for consistency - Vanek has goals in 8 different games. That is tied for 3rd in the NHL.

He has played in 17 games. In the first 6 games he had 3 goals. In the next 6 he had 4 goals. In the last 5 he has 4 goals.

Pretty consistent.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                • Aug 2002

I'd like to know what was said between the 2nd and 3rd because that looked like a totally different team in the 3rd.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

Who were those 3rd period guys ??

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                    As for consistency - Vanek has goals in 8 different games. That is tied for 3rd in the NHL.

He has played in 17 games. In the first 6 games he had 3 goals. In the next 6 he had 4 goals. In the last 5 he has 4 goals.

Pretty consistent.
                    That was me being sarcastic BTW.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

I know.

IT was not for you.

I am awaiting being called a blind homer who does not open my eyes though!

Comment

• hydro
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        I never know what to think about games like this.
                        Huh? Of course you know what to say. This is the same thing you always say. About 5% of your post is giving the team credit and the rest is telling us everything they didn't do right. Par for the course, business as usual.
                        BERNIAC!

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

They won and are one point out of first in the East. All of that despite not playing their best yet.

Methinks you need to look at the big picture.

And, maybe, just maybe, admit that Vanek does not suck at scoring goals. He is one of the best goal scorers in the NHL.

You always say there is never anything good in a loss. If that is true, back off *****ing about wins. You always say that is all you want of the team. So they win and you still are not happy.
                          Vanek has been one of the best goal-scorers in the NHL..... for all of 12 games. If you go back and look at the numbers, that statement simply isn't true until VERY recently. And I'm not willing to let 12 games override 4 years.

And that's EXACTLY why I'm still concerned about the larger picture. I don't have confidence that Vanek will keep up this pace. I don't have confidence that we can beat the better teams, especially when we've only managed 2 goals in regulation in 6 of the last 8 games. I don't have confidence that we can win with such a poor PP. I don't have confidence that this team can play complete games.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Pretty consistent.
                            Again, that's over a 17 game period.

Vanek has NEVER been able to maintain that kind of consistency over his career. You're letting 17 games override 4-5 years.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              Vanek has been one of the best goal-scorers in the NHL..... for all of 12 games. If you go back and look at the numbers, that statement simply isn't true until VERY recently. And I'm not willing to let 12 games override 4 years.

And that's EXACTLY why I'm still concerned about the larger picture. I don't have confidence that Vanek will keep up this pace. I don't have confidence that we can beat the better teams, especially when we've only managed 2 goals in regulation in 6 of the last 8 games. I don't have confidence that we can win with such a poor PP. I don't have confidence that this team can play complete games.
                              Actually I bet over the past 4 years he is top ten or top 15 in the NHL in goals scored per game.

And the PP is NOT poor. Do you even read other people's posts?

They are 11th in the NHL. Not great. Above average.

Definitely not poor.

Comment

Working...
                              X