Why wouldn't veteran OL depth help us right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Why wouldn't veteran OL depth help us right now?

A few of us argued that we should have added some veteran OL depth from FA.

Now Levitre will start at his 3rd position this year. He was put on his back multiple times vs. Ware as our starting LT. And since we don't have a vet G/C backup were now forced to move him to C. Basically it shows little to no faith in Colin Brown which shouldn't really surprise anyone. But, shouldn't we have been able to see this potential issue ahead of time?

I like what I think Hairston can do at LT but no one knew for sure whether he could even handle LT coming into this year. We also had question marks about Pears and Urbik but both have done well IMO.

I just feel like we knew we would sustain a injury or two on the OL and that we should have also known that we didn't have quality backups. I'd feel much better if we had signed a vet or two than to keep moving Levitre.
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-15-2011, 05:33 AM.

• DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why wouldn't veteran OL depth help us right now?

The question I have is what veteran did we want to bring in that we missed on? We gave it our all for Clabo, we dont deal with off the field issue or lazy lable players. So who did we ignore that we shouldn't have in people's minds?
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by X-Era

Now Levitre will start at his 3rd position this year. He was put on his back multiple times vs. Ware as our starting LT. And since we don't have a vet G/C backup were now forced to move him to C. Basically it shows little to no faith in Colin Brown which shouldn't really surprise anyone. But, shouldn't we have been able to see this potential issue ahead of time?

I like what I think Hairston can do at LT but no one knew for sure whether he could even handle LT coming into this year. We also had question marks about Pears and Urbik but both have done well IMO.

I just feel like we knew we would sustain a injury or two on the OL and that we should have also known that we didn't have quality backups. I'd feel much better if we had signed a vet or two than to keep moving Levitre.
      Like who?

Comment

• cookie G
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        The question I have is what veteran did we want to bring in that we missed on? We gave it our all for Clabo, we dont deal with off the field issue or lazy lable players. So who did we ignore that we shouldn't have in people's minds?
        Brian Waters

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era

Well, Chan & Buddy had no question about Pears & Urbik. I posted before the season started that Chan thought they had talent when people on the board questioned how good they were.

Chan did say the Bills had no depth on the OL before the season started. There were no quality backups available that the Bills were able to attract.

Comment

• methos4ever
            • Apr 2004

Other than keeping Hangartner there was no one for depth. Anyone who was signed in FA, even late did so because they would be paid like they would start and in fact do start.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by cookie G
              Brian Waters
              Where was he going to play? I agree I think he's better than Urbik/Rhinehart but the thread was about veteran depth. I dont think Waters would of played depth here.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                • Jul 2002

Ruben Brown, House Ballard, Will Wolford, Jim Ritcher-all available.

Comment

• PTI
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2011

We got lucky to finish the year with Incognito last year IMO. Bills could really have used his this year.

Comment

• Mr Bills
                    • Jan 2010

Most teams struggle to have 5 starting caliber players on the Oline, the Bills have 7. Yet the Bills have no depth? And I'm willing to bet Levitre will be better than any washed up scrub center that you would of brought in.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by PTI
                      We got lucky to finish the year with Incognito last year IMO. Bills could really have used his this year.
                      Incognito didn't play for the Bills last year.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mr Bills
                        Most teams struggle to have 5 starting caliber players on the Oline, the Bills have 7. Yet the Bills have no depth? And I'm willing to bet Levitre will be better than any washed up scrub center that you would of brought in.
                        MOST teams struggle to have 5 starting caliber players on the Oline? I don't know if it could be argued that most losing teams struggle to have 5 starting caliber players on the OL. Certainly every winning team has 5 starting caliber players on the OL.

Who besides Wood, Levitre & Urbik would start for most teams? I would say NOBODY. Just because a player has started for the Bills, that does not make him starting caliber, it just means the Bills had nobody better.
                        Last edited by better days; 11-15-2011, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Mr Bills
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by better days
                          MOST teams struggle to have 5 starting caliber players on the Oline? I don't know if it could be argued that most losing teams struggle to have 5 starting caliber players on the OL. Certainly every winning team has 5 starting caliber players on the OL.

Who besides Wood, Levitre & Urbik would start for most teams? I would say NOBODY. Just because a player has started for the Bills, that does not make him starting caliber, it just means the Bills had nobody better.
                          Pears is better than atleast half the RTs in the league and Bell is an adequate starting LT. But ok signing an scrub center would certainly help us.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mr Bills
                            Pears is better than atleast half the RTs in the league and Bell is an adequate starting LT. But ok signing an scrub center would certainly help us.
                            I like Pears, he is a decent RT. Maybe he could start for half the teams in the league, but half is not MOST.

I am not advocating signing a Center myself. I think Levitre will do as well if not better than anyone the Bills could get.

Comment

• cookie G
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              Where was he going to play? I agree I think he's better than Urbik/Rhinehart but the thread was about veteran depth. I dont think Waters would of played depth here.
                              He would have been, and would be starting at RG.

Comment

Working...
                              X