PDA

View Full Version : Exiting the zone

OpIv37
11-15-2011, 10:52 AM
For years, it seems like the Sabres have struggled to exit the defensive zone, even after having the puck in open ice. They often get forced to double back or make a backwards pass, which kills the speed/momentum of the forwards on the rush up ice and allows the defense to get in position.

I noticed this a while back, but I didn't think much of it because not every breakout is going to be clean in hockey.

But, last night something occurred to me: do the Sabres ever force their opponent to do the same thing? I started watching Montreal and I noticed they had to double back or turn around in their own zone MUCH less often than the Sabres.

Now, granted, I only paid attention to the opponent doing this for most of one game, and that's not really enough of a sample size to draw any conclusions. But has anyone else noticed this? Is it just my perception that the other team doesn't do it as much, or is this a real issue?

Dr. Lecter
11-15-2011, 11:11 AM
When I saw the title, I thought you were leaving here. That would leave DraftBoy as the only bullheaded, arrogant, unreasonable poster on the boards. (Oddly enough, both are Notre Dame fans)

But to address your issue,I have not paid a ton of attention to it. IT could be Montreal has better puck carriers or is simply the scheme played against them The other teams could be trying to be more dispurtive against the Sabres because of the Sabres speed at forward

DraftBoy
11-15-2011, 11:15 AM
When I saw the tite\le, I thought you were leaving here. That would leave DraftBoy as the only bullheaded, arrogant, unreasonable poster on the boards. (Oddly enough, both are Notre Dame fans)

But to address your issue,I have not paid a ton of attention to it. IT could be Montreal has better puck carriers or is simply the scheme played against them The other teams could be trying to be more dispurtive against the Sabres because of the Sabres speed at forward

I thought the same but the ONLY? Have you been to the Spin Zone or Bills Zone in the past 5 years?

OpIv37
11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
When I saw the tite\le, I thought you were leaving here.

It did occur to me that my title could be misinterpreted that way, but I left it anyway because it might give Crisis and hydro false hopes.

Dr. Lecter
11-15-2011, 11:22 AM
It did occur to me that my title could be misinterpreted that way, but I left it anyway because it might give Crisis and hydro false hopes.
We are used to it as Buffalo sports fans

-or-

We call that "Obamaing" them

chernobylwraiths
11-15-2011, 11:49 AM

just crisis and hydro?

YardRat
11-15-2011, 04:30 PM
When I saw the title, I was hoping you were leaving here.

Fixed.