PDA

View Full Version : Running game: Fixed or Fluke?

lordofgun
09-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Was the running game yesterday a fluke, or has it been fixed by a committment to the run, better O-line players, etc.

The reason I ask is because the Jets D had one of the worst rush defenses last year. I thought they upgraded significantly in the offseason, but it didn't look like it yesterday.

I'll go on record as saying that the rushing game has simply improved! The threat of a real passing attack definitely helps the running game too.

At any rate, it was great seeing Sammy C get his butt kicked around all day out there.

Ð
09-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Gilbride is a run-oriented OC....

Smashmouth football all the way, baby!!!!!

HenryRules
09-09-2002, 12:03 PM
I think the running game has improved. While the Jets DL isn't all that great, their linebacking group is pretty solid, and on almost all of the running plays, the Jets LB's were falling backwards after running into Henry or Centers. Very seldom did any of the LBs manage to stand either one up. Speaking of the backs, Henry showed amazing vision yesterday, cutting back and finding the holes on almost every play. The guy can find the little creases that open up at the line of scrimmage.
Henry also had some huge holes to run through indicating the OL might have stepped up a lot, but, as I said earlier, that may be because the Jets DL isn't all that great.
Another note for positive feelings about our running game. In the last 6 regular season games they've played, the Bills have produced a 100 yard rusher 4 times. (5 of the last 8 we've produced a rusher with 97 yards or more)

TigerJ
09-09-2002, 12:06 PM
Buffalo played the Jets and their poor run defense twice last year.
Travis Henry played in both games, didn't he. Yesterday he ran for 149 yards, a career high. If the Jets' defense is the same as last year, Sunday's result represent a significant improvement. If the Jets' defense is improved, then the improvement in the Buffalo running game is even more significant.

StillLurkin
09-09-2002, 12:22 PM
we'll know next week if it was a fluke or not. i say not, they showed a commitment to the run and Travis Henry. The line did a great job opening holes.
i can't remember watching a buffalo running back have such a good game. it's been a long time since thurman

northernbillfan
09-09-2002, 02:12 PM
I liked what I saw in TH, hence my new sig.

I have been a fan of his for a while and like the way that man can shake tackles. He looks like a young Emmitt Smith out there.

Tatonka
09-09-2002, 02:18 PM
i got wood watching us run like that..

sup henry, my #3 rb on ff team =)

siva
09-09-2002, 02:31 PM
I feel good about the running game, not just because of the production.

1. We had some success last year too, for example againt Atlanta, but we were running the ball outside all the time. But yesterday, we ran a lot up the middle and Henry was consistently finding the holes and breaking the first tackle, often the second and occasionally even the third.

2. The rushing yards didn't come from a few big gains (again as opposed to the Atlanta game and the preseason Min game) but from a good mix of 3-7 yards per carry.

So, at this point it doesn't seem like a fluke. But we need 1-2 more weeks of similar stuff, before we can be sure.

Ð
09-09-2002, 02:38 PM
hey siva, did you get the error message figured out?

siva
09-09-2002, 02:40 PM
what error message?

Ð
09-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by siva
what error message?

The one from Spam & Ham at BBI

Halbert
09-09-2002, 03:22 PM
While it's possible this game was a fluke, I think it's MUCH more likely that the running game is vastly improved.

The Jets were rather poor last season at rushing D but specifically made that their #1 priority and addressed it rather impressively with the additions of Evans, Cowart, and Webster (and to a lesser degree, Garnes at SS). I saw our linemen moving well and Henry running hard - not any collapse by the Jets D.

Can you imagine the Vikings preparing for our offense now? Who do you key on? About 49 out of 50 times if you rush for that many yards you're going to win so they HAVE to game plan to stop him. With a weak pass rush, the WR's will have plenty of room to run behind the LB's and Drew will have a field day.

Dozerdog
09-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by BigDoug

The one from Spam & Ham at BBI BigDoug-
THis os not SHIVA

This is a different guy

Earthquake Enyart
09-09-2002, 03:36 PM
I miss shiva. NOT. Whiny fat pansy. Boo fricking hooo, my wife is flirting with other men. Boo hooo.

blcny
09-09-2002, 03:37 PM
The run game has deffinatly improved. The OL did a great job of run blocking. They could work on the pass blocking. I think you have to look at the coaching for the running game improvement. I thinks the jets expected a lot more passing from us. Instead we ran the ball right up the middle. Gilbride did a great job calling plays. Henry showed some real talent. He found some good holes and ran away from the d-line. I'm just excited that the offense actully went forward. A lot better then last year.

Earthquake Enyart
09-09-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I miss shiva. NOT. Whiny fat pansy. Boo fricking hooo, my wife is flirting with other men. Boo hooo.

Oh, wait, that was stealth.

I do kind of miss shiva. That guy was out there.