PDA

View Full Version : Lockout

DesertFox24
11-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Look I know a lot of people are complaining about the defense and the offense not using CJ and Brad Smith as much. This got me thinking last night that I wonder if the lockout has an effect on this.

Everyone knows that coaches use the offseason to install new packages and what not, as well as experiment with new players they just signed.

The fact of the matter is the week before training camp Buffalo had no idea who we were going to lose and who we were going to acquire. Also they really did not have the time to work on new packages and probably went along the lines of refining what we did last year and make some smaller tweaks.

Look I have no idea if this is true or not, I played basketball and installing a new offense and defense in basketball takes a couple of practices not months. Those that have played football could probably answer this question more accurately but I do think it might have some baring on this season potentially.

OpIv37
11-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Two things on this:

1. Every team had to deal with the lockout equally.

2. Established teams obviously weren't as affected as young teams or teams trying to install new systems.

Honestly, though, I don't think it's the problem. Our D really didn't change much, and if a lack of practice or experience was the problem, our O should be getting better as the season goes on. Instead, they're getting worse.

I think the problem is that the Bills still lack talent. We are one-trick ponies on both sides of the ball. The D relies on INT's and the O relies on the spread formation and quick slants. Gailey did the best he could with the talent he was given, but once other teams figured out the tricks, we just aren't talented enough to overcome.

Jeff1220
11-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Doesn't seem to be a problem for the 49ers, who have a new coach, system, players, etc.

k-oneputt
11-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Edwards D-cord., there's the big problem. Another first timer on the job and in over his head.
Then you can add in our stellar draft picks the last couple of years, McKelvin, Troup, Batten, Moats,........ these guys do basically nothing.

DesertFox24
11-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Two things on this:

1. Every team had to deal with the lockout equally.

2. Established teams obviously weren't as affected as young teams or teams trying to install new systems.

Honestly, though, I don't think it's the problem. Our D really didn't change much, and if a lack of practice or experience was the problem, our O should be getting better as the season goes on. Instead, they're getting worse.

I think the problem is that the Bills still lack talent. We are one-trick ponies on both sides of the ball. The D relies on INT's and the O relies on the spread formation and quick slants. Gailey did the best he could with the talent he was given, but once other teams figured out the tricks, we just aren't talented enough to overcome.

Yes I agree with you on all terms.

My point was it was hard for our coaching staff going into year 2 to implement potentially changes or new wrinkles to the defense.

Also for the offense to find ways to use Brad Smith.

I guess we will find out next year if Brad Smith is used more, if not then my point is mute.

Mski
11-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Doesn't seem to be a problem for the 49ers, who have a new coach, system, players, etc.BIG differece between Buffalo and San Fransisco.... Talent... they have more then we do

djjimkelly
11-16-2011, 09:27 AM
i actually think the lockout did the opposite for the bills

i think it helped us greatly

gailey came out with a plan to start the year and caught everyone off guard yes we were healthy so extra players helped obviously but gailey showed us he is smart enough to come up with a plan to win.

11 weeks in injuries caught up with us and finally gailey doesnt have enough pieces on O to keep us truly competitive

our D is lacking 2 OLBs which might be beside a serious DT the most important pieces on the D thats why our D isnt doing well