PDA

View Full Version : NFLN and Mayock

northernbillfan
11-18-2011, 09:09 AM
What a bunch of goofs calling last night's game.

During the last Jets drive Mayock said, "Even if they get a 15-18 yard pass on the sidelines and the receiver turns into the middle, they will have to call a quick time out." The problem at that point for the Jets is that they had NO time outs left. I had to rewind it to be sure that's what he said.

Then the Jets get the play off, get another twelve yards or so, run up to spike the ball before the last play of the game. Mayock then says, "They should have called a quick time out. The whistle blew at 18 seconds and they only have 7 left."

Those guys were absolutely terrible last night. I missed last week's game, but if this is what we have to look forward to for the rest of the season, I may not watch too many Thursday night games.

You'd think the NFLN would get a better crew than those two morons.

better days
11-18-2011, 09:23 AM

During the last Jets drive Mayock said, "Even if they get a 15-18 yard pass on the sidelines and the receiver turns into the middle, they will have to call a quick time out." The problem at that point for the Jets is that they had NO time outs left. I had to rewind it to be sure that's what he said.

Then the Jets get the play off, get another twelve yards or so, run up to spike the ball before the last play of the game. Mayock then says, "They should have called a quick time out. The whistle blew at 18 seconds and they only have 7 left."

Those guys were absolutely terrible last night. I missed last week's game, but if this is what we have to look forward to for the rest of the season, I may not watch too many Thursday night games.

Mayock is a very good analyst. He just missed the Jets timeout that was called after Sanchez was sacked earlier in the drive. It was not announced by the officials & the TV showed the Jets having two timeouts left for quite a while after it was called.

I noticed myself that the clock was not running after that sack & said to myself WTF the clock should be running after a sack. I finally realized the Jets had called the time out when it was finally shown they only had 1 left but as I said it was not announced & Mayock just did not notice it so he thought they still had 1 timeout left when they called their last timeout.

Skooby
11-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Besides the timeout incident, I thought the guys called a decent game.

Mr. Miyagi
11-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Bob Papa was good last year as a play-by-play guy. Mayock is a good film breakdown guy but as a color guy someone else might be a better fit.

hydro
11-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I like Mayock's analysis a lot during draft time and even some of the stuff he says during the games is more in depth than what you would hear from a Sims or Aikman but he did have a lot of goof ups last night that made you scratch your head.

better days
11-18-2011, 09:52 AM
I like Mayock's analysis a lot during draft time and even some of the stuff he says during the games is more in depth than what you would hear from a Sims or Aikman but he did have a lot of goof ups last night that made you scratch your head.

What goof up did Mayock have besides missing a time out that was not announced by the officials?

hydro
11-18-2011, 10:17 AM
What goof up did Mayock have besides missing a time out that was not announced by the officials?

One other instance I can remember. He was all over the place about that catch on the sideline that they reviewed. I think it was caught by Burress. It was a catch, well no he had his knee down out of bounds before his feet, well actually it wasn't down before his feet.... It's like these guys are watching the game on a 5" handheld TV.

mikemac2001
11-18-2011, 10:22 AM
They suck

but to be honest that was the only real mistake he made other then that he just sucks

i like watching him but not in the booth.......but what do u expect they have like 6 games a year and don't have a real crew they keep mixing it up....should just hire gus johnson and we won't have an issue

northernbillfan
11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Say what you want about in depth analysis, but I thought they sounded bush league last night. And the timeout was NOT on the score clock at the bottom of the screen. Don't they have a monitor in the booth?

The camera crew was pathetic as well. Lots of moving camera shots that looked like the guy sneezed right before the producer cut to his camera.

BLeonard
11-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Heh, you must not have seen NFLN in it's earlier days...

I remember going to the Bills/Colts preseason game a couple years back... It was the first game at the new Lucas Oil Stadium.

Because I was at the game, I usually videotape them to watch when I get home... NFLN had the game and they employed a 3-man booth for the game:

Play By Play: Sterling Sharpe
Color 1: Marshall Faulk
Color 2: Deion Sanders

I have yet to watch that tape with sound.

-Bill

mikemac2001
11-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Say what you want about in depth analysis, but I thought they sounded bush league last night. And the timeout was NOT on the score clock at the bottom of the screen. Don't they have a monitor in the booth?

The camera crew was pathetic as well. Lots of moving camera shots that looked like the guy sneezed right before the producer cut to his camera.

The camera was shaking because of the stadium noise

ive seen it happen before but don't use that feed (so i blame producers) not the camera guys.

overall its NFLN they have like 6-8 games not a huge deal but still hate watching it

finfan34
11-18-2011, 10:58 AM
i think the nfl network has come a long way in their game coverage. i remember watching a game a few years ago and the HD reception was crap. their morning show on sundays is leaps and bounds above any other nfl show as well.

Skooby
11-18-2011, 11:11 AM
This but I'd take Van Miller any day.

Heh, you must not have seen NFLN in it's earlier days...

I remember going to the Bills/Colts preseason game a couple years back... It was the first game at the new Lucas Oil Stadium.

Because I was at the game, I usually videotape them to watch when I get home... NFLN had the game and they employed a 3-man booth for the game:

Play By Play: Sterling Sharpe
Color 1: Marshall Faulk
Color 2: Deion Sanders

I have yet to watch that tape with sound.

-Bill

DraftBoy
11-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Love Mayock in the booth. His play breakdown is worth it.

better days
11-18-2011, 11:45 AM

The timeouts are in yellow lights at the TOP of the screen. The lights go out when the time outs are used & it showed the Jets still had two time outs for quite a while after the time out was called after Sanchez was sacked.

northernbillfan
11-18-2011, 12:09 PM
The timeouts are in yellow lights at the TOP of the screen. The lights go out when the time outs are used & it showed the Jets still had two time outs for quite a while after the time out was called after Sanchez was sacked.Top, bottom. I still saw the YELLOW lights out when they were talking about the Jests timeout. I sure would like to have tape from that, but since I don't, I'll drop it.

I still didn't like them in the booth.

better days
11-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Top, bottom. I still saw the YELLOW lights out when they were talking about the Jests timeout. I sure would like to have tape from that, but since I don't, I'll drop it.

I still didn't like them in the booth.

Yes the light FINALLY went out, but not for quite a while after the timeout was called. I noticed the light was still on because as I said I noticed the clock had stopped after Sanchez was sacked.

I knew the clock should have still been running after the sack & looked to see if a timeout was called. The light was on until just before the ball was snapped on the next play. As I said there was no official announcement by the officials of the time out.

I think you can blame that gaffe on both the officials & Mayock. That was the only mistake I saw him make during the game. Draft boy & I don't usually agree on much, but I agree with draftboy that Mayock is a good analyst.

BUFF Bills
11-18-2011, 02:04 PM
i was actually telling my buddy last week during the thursday night game, that i really liked mayock. he is an aggressive analyst that knows what he is talking about. i think if they brought in a third guy, it would smooth things out

SaviorEdwards
11-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Agree, NFLN should keep Mayock locked up until draft season. He is a terrible broadcaster....terrible!!!!!!!

TrEd FTW
11-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Mayock is absolutely horrible.

Skooby
11-18-2011, 05:06 PM
It's better than watching Aikman & Joe Buck act like they haven't seen each other all weekend long from different positions.

Mahdi
11-18-2011, 06:40 PM

I think the one mistake (thinking they still had one more TO) led him to make a few incorrect statements and thats it.

I like Mike Mayock's commentary because he talks a lot about each player and background info on them since he scouted them all.

Its a different take on commentary than you usually get.

Lone Stranger
11-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I thought Mayock's insights were quite good.

Oaf
11-19-2011, 08:56 PM
NO one can be as bad as Sims or Joe Buck.