PDA

View Full Version : Overall, This is who we are or expected to be

ghz in pittsburgh
11-21-2011, 06:39 AM
If we had been blown out by NE and yet eke out a win against the Dolphins, the record would be the same but expectations probably would be vastly different.

Chan said many he does not knows in his presser. I'll answer for him (I think he knows): the defense personnel are still not very good - it's hard to change from last in the league a year ago with so many big busts on top defensive draft picks; and the offensive line play hampered by injury, which completely exposed what a true QB Fitz is.

None of this is earth shattering, and deep down I think Nix and Gailey know that, I mean the O-Line depth and defensive talent issues. Of course there is a pray for being lucky to sneak in playoff psych there, but we all know talent wins in NFL.

The only mistake they made in my mind is Fitz's contract extension. I don't think they had that kind of commitment in mind when they started out planning in the off season. Had they waited, they'd probably be on their planned path.

I'd commit to play the rookies, the 2nd year guys on defense, and Spiller the rest of the way. To build through draft, you are going to go through growing pains. I know people like Aaron Williams are being picked apart right now, but he needs to be on the field to start. Heck even Revis was picked apart in his first year by the Bills then.

Night Train
11-21-2011, 07:01 AM
I actually expect this year to start like last year, struggling to win but slowly improving. The roster showed weaknesses all over the place. Thus my 5-6 win prediction.

Then came those improbable rallies against Oakland & the Pats, which fooled many into thinking they were playoff bound.

I thought they could hit a skid but they have looked beyond Pathetic the last 3 weeks and haven't come close to being competitive. It looked like many players just mailed it in yesterday and the D looks completely lost. Can anyone complete a fundamental tackle ? Gailey may like the 3-4 but doesn't have the players for. He may not have players for a 4-3 either.

Can't see it getting any better against the Jets. Tenny at home will speak volumes.

EDS
11-21-2011, 08:33 AM
My questions is why can't Batten or Moats do anything at outside linebacker? Are they just that bad they the team has to employ a defacto 4-3 by using Spencer Johnson at OLB?

Jan Reimers
11-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I didn't expect to lose back-to-back-to-back games 106-26, or to look like a s**t doing it. We were lucky to beat Oakland and the Pats for sure, and now we have been exposed as no closer to respectability than when we started rebuilding many years ago.

In fact, we may have as little overall talent and depth as any Bills' team in memory. We have a good RB (who is 30), a few O-linemen, a young TE, and a few decent defensive players (two of whom are 30). And that's it.

Let the rebuilding continue, indefinitely.

OpIv37
11-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I expected only about 4-5 wins out of this season, BUT I thought we would start slow while slowly improving to the point where we were competitive then finally winning some games.

Instead, the exact opposite has happened. We started fast and we are inexplicably getting worse as the season goes on. The injuries definitely hurt, but 2 or 3 injuries are NOT the reason that we went from beating the Patriots to getting destroyed by an average team like the Cowboys and a below average team like the Dolphins.

The 5 early wins are nothing to be happy about if this is how we follow it up. We knew the team was a work in progress, but that means getting better, not worse.

Instead, 2 years into the Nix/Gailey administration and we are no better than we were when they first took over.

The circle of mediocrity continues.

Bangarang
11-21-2011, 09:26 AM
We are who we thought we were.

OpIv37
11-21-2011, 09:32 AM
We are who we thought we were.

No. We are not.

We thought we were a bad team that was finally on the right track, and that we'd see slow, steady improvement.

Instead, we saw a team that proved to be more than the sum of their parts somehow collapse into utter incompetence. No one thought that.

Bangarang
11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
No. We are not.

We thought we were a bad team that was finally on the right track, and that we'd see slow, steady improvement.

Instead, we saw a team that proved to be more than the sum of their parts somehow collapse into utter incompetence. No one thought that.

A lot of people thought we'd be decent as long as we didn't get injured. We have injuries and now we suck. Our depth sucked. We all knew this going into the season.