PDA

View Full Version : Was this game a success?

The King
11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
With only a few auctions left would you consider this game a success?

It was a risk moving away from our standard BorB format, but we had a lot of participants... so going into 2012 and a modified version of this game would you consider this a success?

chernobylwraiths
11-21-2011, 11:26 AM
moderately

Mski
11-21-2011, 11:27 AM
it was a good change of pace from the old format, and actually made a game out of it... i think it could be tweaked slightly, but i certainly will participate next year

BLeonard
11-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Obviously, I liked the game... Before it came along, I'd only check Billszone every so often. Now, I check it multiple times per day... so, if anything, I'm sure it's brought more traffic to the site.

The one modification I would make would be to have a cap on how much cash can be spent, as opposed to tying the cash to the card itself. That would prevent people from paying obscene amounts of ZB to buy cards (ala Historian). It would also eliminate a bit of work for you, as you wouldn't have to put the dollar values on the cards.

Miyagi initially brought the idea up here: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=207207

Hopefully, I explained how I felt it could work in there. If not, I can elaborate more. But, I really think it would give a boost to trading, while cutting back on richer players spending big bucks on lower capped cards.

-Bill

Static
11-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes, until people started to think they could make the game better.

THATHURMANATOR
11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
As always with anything King there are haters. I thought it was a good idea and I enjoyed it for sure!

DraftBoy
11-21-2011, 12:22 PM
I enjoyed it, not sure if Ill participate in the new version. I also have gone through the million threads/ideas about it either.

YardRat
11-21-2011, 01:53 PM
I've enjoyed it quite a bit...much better than BorB1.0, but in all honesty probably won't participate in v3.0 because the idea of a draft, setting line-ups, etc pushes the time/effort factor over the edge for me. IMO this version found a nice balance.

THATHURMANATOR
11-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah I kinda like this format as it is. I don't think there is a need to change but I am always willing to give something a chance.

Mr. Miyagi
11-21-2011, 02:46 PM
It depends on what the new version is like. I've given my opinion about the cap format.

Frankly though the old version is simpler and invites participation a lot more. This is like playing in a league instead of a pickup game.

The King
11-21-2011, 04:17 PM
I've enjoyed it quite a bit...much better than BorB1.0, but in all honesty probably won't participate in v3.0 because the idea of a draft, setting line-ups, etc pushes the time/effort factor over the edge for me. IMO this version found a nice balance.

that's my goal, to provide a competitive game with no extra work for you guys...
I think you'll be pleased

EricStratton
11-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I like this format and until you prove me wrong I figure whatever tweeks you do will be just fine.

jamze132
11-22-2011, 05:34 AM
I like this game. It doesn't need a major overhaul, just a tweek or two.

"Cash to Cap" needs to be in effect for the next version though.

mysticsoto
11-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Agreed with most of the posters. I already spend too much time around here. If the next version takes more time, I may have to bow out...

The King
11-22-2011, 07:20 AM
The goal is to have you spend more time thinking about your bids, not playing the game.

chernobylwraiths
11-22-2011, 08:21 AM
I kind of wish there was a date where rosters were locked and people couldn't drop high priced cards so they can bid at the end when most people are out of cap room.

utmhead
11-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Just look at how many times each post is looked at. By that this game is a success

EricStratton
11-22-2011, 08:59 AM
My only concern is with a part time poster swooping in and driving the price up when others have planned their money out.

Someone like NBF who made a sale hoping to get a couple bargains this week could be screwed in someone jumped into the game today.

How to cover that is a question for people smarter then me.

chernobylwraiths
11-22-2011, 09:18 AM
My only concern is with a part time poster swooping in and driving the price up when others have planned their money out.

Someone like NBF who made a sale hoping to get a couple bargains this week could be screwed in someone jumped into the game today.

Before the game begins (few weeks), have a sign in for who would play. When the game starts, the number of teams is set.

YardRat
11-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Before the game begins (few weeks), have a sign in for who would play. When the game starts, the number of teams is set.

Good answer.

The Jokeman
11-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Or make a prorated salary cap based on when the game starts in case we do encounter some late comers again. Of course to know when players are in or not could seem difficult unless make it kind of Poker like rule where you need to make a minimum bid to be considered "in".

BLeonard
11-22-2011, 10:09 AM
I kind of wish there was a date where rosters were locked and people couldn't drop high priced cards so they can bid at the end when most people are out of cap room.

The thing is, everyone has the option to do that... Dropping a high priced card this late does have it's risks... Using NBF as an example, he now has to sit until Wednesday... There's a decent chance that he might not win another auction (since there's most likely less than 10 left now) and, as a result, he kinda screws himself by dropping his card this late.

-Bill

The King
11-22-2011, 10:23 AM
You guys are going to be really happy with the modifications I think I have addressed everyone's concerns in the new format.

BLeonard
11-22-2011, 10:28 AM

The only way I can think of preventing that would be to limit how many people play. Others have suggested a "sign up" period. Two problems I see with that:

1: My guess is, Bedard ants to allow as few or as many people to play as wants to. Having a "sign up" period would not allow that.

2: If you do a "sign up" period, what happens if a chunk of people that sign up end up quitting? I've been in a lot of fantasy leagues, pickem leagues, etc and in a lot of cases, you have a chunk of players quitting halfway into the game. That would result in a small handful of people that are playing combined with the "inactives" that signed up, but are no longer playing.

One option to possibly help that would be: If a player wants to "quit," they could then transfer their team to a person who wants to play, but didn't sign up. The new person would then take over the quitting player's spot. I dunno hw well that would work, but, it's the only thing I can think of.

Regarding NBF's situation: He's the one that put himself in that situation. As I said in the previous post, he's taking a big risk dropping a card this late in the game, but he's the one that ultimately made the deision to make the move. Theoretically, Clump could sell Danica McKellar back today and have $190k to work with... But, what are the chances he's gonna be able to serve his 2 day penalty and then win enough of the few auctions left to justify the move?

-Bill

chernobylwraiths
11-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Goodness, I don't want to get into a theoretical debate about a game with women we will never be with nor ever have a chance with, but...

Bidding very high on a card early gives someone a girl that he supposedly desires and hurts his cap. Throwing that card away with the small (IMO) penalty of not being able to bid for a couple days and only having a $10000 cap penalty hurts everyone else who has been fiscally responsible and gotten their cards for less but not allowing them to get someone that they wanted earlier because they don't have the cap room anymore. It also allows people who haven't really been in it all the way to pick up relatively desirable women up cheap.

A deadline would eliminate the second part and would leave enough time for people to not be out of cap space.

Sorry Mike. Now let me go shoot myself.

BLeonard
11-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Goodness, I don't want to get into a theoretical debate about a game with women we will never be with nor ever have a chance with, but...

Bidding very high on a card early gives someone a girl that he supposedly desires and hurts his cap. Throwing that card away with the small (IMO) penalty of not being able to bid for a couple days and only having a $10000 cap penalty hurts everyone else who has been fiscally responsible and gotten their cards for less but not allowing them to get someone that they wanted earlier because they don't have the cap room anymore. It also allows people who haven't really been in it all the way to pick up relatively desirable women up cheap.

A deadline would eliminate the second part and would leave enough time for people to not be out of cap space.

Sorry Mike. Now let me go shoot myself.

That's why I suggested a while back that, instead of a flat $10k cap hit, the player selling the card back should receive a cap hit that is a percentage of the face value of the card. I think I suggested 1/3 of the card cost. So, if Clump sold Danica McKellar back, his hit would be $55k...

Of course, if the cap was on the cash spent and not the card value, it would simplify things and eliminate your concerns.

People knew that the game was going until the end of the year. Bedard shortened it a month and people still blew their cap. My guess is, you're gonna have people that blow their cap early, regardless of any "deadline" you might want to set on trades or selling cards back. But, as I said before, I do agree that the penalty for selling a card back should be proportionate to how much was paid for the card.

-Bill

YardRat
11-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Pretty sure we'd all have a shot with Hope Solo...

Static
11-22-2011, 11:54 AM
You guys are going to be really happy with the modifications I think I have addressed everyone's concerns in the new format.

and yet they still go on and on.........

chernobylwraiths
11-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Pretty sure we'd all have a shot with Hope Solo...

Don't know if I would want a girl who plays with big balls for a living.

northernbillfan
11-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I had fun playing with titties we are never going to touch.

Forward_Lateral
11-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I think it was a success. It was fun, until I ran out of cap space. There's a learning curve with a game like this, and at least we'll have a better idea of how to bid and not overbid.