PDA

View Full Version : Bills vs Texans

Mike
11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I recall a few weeks back, some argued (psubillsfan) that the Bills should be getting the same respect -and they were- as the Texans, and how Dare anyone insinuate that the Texans are better -which they are.

Now does it make sense? They have better talent and have had worst injuries yet they still win.

YardRat
11-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Houston has a real defensive coordinator.

Mahdi
11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
They are definitely more talented. There is no argument there.

Schaub, Johnson, Foster vs Fitz, Jackson, Johnson ==> Texans better

Cushing, Jonathan Joseph, Demeco Ryans, Brooks Reed (5 sacks), Connor Barwin (4.5 sacks) vs Barnett, Florence, Shepp, Sp.Johnson, Kelsay ==> not even close, Texans

madness
11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Wow, this thread is begging to get bumped within the next few weeks.

ServoBillieves
11-22-2011, 12:04 PM
worst injuries bad for Texans of Houston, Ugg says so.

It's "worse", and I have to disagree, not even close to how important players on this squad went down.

Ickybaluky
11-22-2011, 12:15 PM
It's "worse", and I have to disagree, not even close to how important players on this squad went down.

Mario Williams, their best defensive player and one of the best in the NFL, was hurt in their 5th game and went on IR.

Andre Johnson, their best offensive player and maybe the best WR in the NFL, was hurt in the 4th game and has missed their last 6 games.

Matt Schaub, their starting QB, was just put on IR.

That is pretty bad. Probably their 3 most important players, and while Johnson is likely to return this week, that is getting hit pretty hard by injuries. In fact, I would argue that those 3 are better players than anyone on the Bills team.

Houston has had other injuries, like Arian Foster being out early in the season and starting S Danieal Manning missing the last month, but I don't think any team has lost 3 players as good as those three.

better days
11-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I recall a few weeks back, some argued (psubillsfan) that the Bills should be getting the same respect -and they were- as the Texans, and how Dare anyone insinuate that the Texans are better -which they are.

Now does it make sense? They have better talent and have had worst injuries yet they still win.

Well, what is the point in starting a new thread about that now? Does psubillsfan qualify as SOME or are there unnamed others that agreed with him? And if so, why single him out?

ServoBillieves
11-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Mario Williams, their best defensive player and one of the best in the NFL, was hurt in their 5th game and went on IR.

Andre Johnson, their best offensive player and maybe the best WR in the NFL, was hurt in the 4th game and has missed their last 6 games.

That is pretty bad. Probably their 3 most important players, and while Johnson is likely to return this week, that is getting hit pretty hard by injuries. In fact, I would argue that those 3 are better players than anyone on the Bills team.

Houston has had other injuries, like Arian Foster being out early in the season and starting S Danieal Manning missing the last month, but I don't think any team has lost 3 players as good as those three.

Schaub was JUST put on IR, as in he was healthy for all those games. He's an elite player that has helped his team. Schaub makes Johnson who he is, yes he's elite too but he's just one receiver. Mario Williams is also a loss, obviously, but that is just one defensive player.

We lost Merriman who looked like he was back to his old self, we lost Roscoe in a spread receiving offense, we lost Easley who this regime believed in off the bat, we lost Wood. Bell, our LT, essentially the most important player on offense besides the QB, has been injured, and so was his backup. I almost hate to say this, but Kelsay being hurt was a huge loss. Kyle Williams is a phenomenal DT/NT, and he is a game changer just like Williams, and HE is now on IR. Jones was injured, I mean... the list goes on.

That's been ALL YEAR, that hasn't been the past couple days or weeks.

We are starting a group that is no where NEAR what this team planned it to be. Merriman, K. Williams, Dareus at DE, Wilson at safety, Torbor at ILB, that was the plan.

Now we have Sheppard at ILB, Davis on the bench, Moats for Merriman, Batten for Kelsay, Torrell Troup for KW and Dareus inside, Searcy starting at safety, and 0 pass rush. We need Merriman. We need Kyle. We need George Wilson. Otherwise, these Offensive Coordinators are going to have a field day, like they have.

I would consider the myriad of injuries the Bills have had WAY worse than losing an OLB and a receiver, when we've lost 2 OLB's and about 4 receivers. There really is no comparison.

YardRat
11-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Houston plays in a weak-ass division.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Houston plays in a weak-ass division.

They would be the 2nd best team if they were in east

better days
11-22-2011, 12:51 PM

It was not even known if Mario Williams would fit into Wade Phillips defense before the year started. He did & played better than he previously had, but he was being talked about as a bust prior to this year, not one of the best.

better days
11-22-2011, 12:52 PM
They would be the 2nd best team if they were in east

If they were in the East, they would have a DIFFERENT schedule so you don't know what their record would be.

Bill Cody
11-22-2011, 12:59 PM
We lost Merriman who looked like he was back to his old self

when was that I must have been in the bathroom

ServoBillieves
11-22-2011, 01:10 PM

Sealing the edge? Making plays near the LOS? Team's had to gameplan around him, team's still feared him. When starters were in during the preseason, he tore Chicago's line apart. During the season, they went to Kelsays side, minimal gains, quick throws.

He is a loss, and if you deny it, well that must've been one long bowel movement.

better days
11-22-2011, 01:11 PM

He was putting pressure on the QB before being injured that the Bills have not had since.

EDS
11-22-2011, 01:31 PM
It was not even known if Mario Williams would fit into Wade Phillips defense before the year started. He did & played better than he previously had, but he was being talked about as a bust prior to this year, not one of the best.

Who has ever called Mario Williams a bust? Guy has averaged almost 10 sacks a year over his career. If that is a bust then what does that make every player the Bills have drafted in the past 6 years?

better days
11-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Who has ever called Mario Williams a bust? Guy has averaged almost 10 sacks a year over his career. If that is a bust then what does that make every player the Bills have drafted in the past 6 years?

Google or Bing his name. You will find MANY times he was being called a bust. He was the #1 pick in the draft & GM Charlie Casserly was fired for picking him.

When a draft pick is responsible for getting the GM fired, I think it is pretty safe to call him a bust.

psubills62
11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Who is psubillsFAN, exactly?

EDS
11-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Google or Bing his name. You will find MANY times he was being called a bust. He was the #1 pick in the draft & GM Charlie Casserly was fired for picking him.

When a draft pick is responsible for getting the GM fired, I think it is pretty safe to call him a bust.

Mario Williams had 14 sacks in his second season in the league!!!!!!! I very much doubt he was fired for taking Williams since the other option was Reggie Bush.

psubills62
11-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I'll be honest, I don't remember arguing specifically about the Texans. Show me the link and I'll respond appropriately. I'm also curious about the timeline of your claim, as "a few weeks" sounds like 2-3 weeks ago, whereas the only (faintest possible) recollection I have about arguing this sort of stuff was after the first 2-3 weeks of the season.

I'm still not sure what the point of this thread is. You're calling me out for arguing that AT THE TIME (which is still not established) Buffalo should be getting the same respect as the Texans? And maybe I'm just guessing here, but I'm quite sure you're putting words in my mouth ("how Dare anyone insinuate that the Texans are better").

Now I know I've got my own stalker. Maybe I should have called you out when we were winning for the stupid comments you made about the Bills?

psubills62
11-22-2011, 02:16 PM

Texans have had some awful injuries and I'm certainly not going to minimize those in any way. Replacing a star player is very difficult. However, it's obvious to most everyone that Houston's offense revolves around the run, and as far as I've seen, none of their OL have been injured.

However, they can't compare to the Bills in sheer number. We've had injuries to three OL, one of them our best interior guy and center, the others who were decent LT's. Our Pro Bowl DT, obviously the best player on our roster, has been out. McGee was out, Wilson is now not playing, Merriman (as ineffective as he seemed, was certainly better than what we have now), Kelsay was out for a while, three WR's who could have played significant roles all on injured reserve, two before the season even started (Easley, Parrish, Jones).

I'm not going to argue that those are the reasons we lost, because it's not. However, the rash of injuries has happened at the same time as this awful losing streak and it's not a coincidence.

Bill Cody
11-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Sealing the edge? Making plays near the LOS? Team's had to gameplan around him, team's still feared him. When starters were in during the preseason, he tore Chicago's line apart. During the season, they went to Kelsays side, minimal gains, quick throws.

He is a loss, and if you deny it, well that must've been one long bowel movement.

Please. 9 tackles and 1 sack in 5 games. Lights out?:laughing:

better days
11-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Mario Williams had 14 sacks in his second season in the league!!!!!!! I very much doubt he was fired for taking Williams since the other option was Reggie Bush.

Well, the HC is the SAME as when Casserly was GM. The pick was BOOED by Texans fans when made. Like I said google his name & you will see he has been called a bust.

Are you saying Reggie Bush & Mario Williams were the only two people in that draft?

better days
11-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Please. 9 tackles and 1 sack in 5 games. Lights out?:laughing:

At least he was putting pressure on the QB which allowed for many of the ints the Bills were getting.

k-oneputt
11-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Who cares if the pick was booed.
Casserly made the right pick with Williams over Bush.
The only people who think different are the Madden players and the Buffalo Bills.

better days
11-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Who cares if the pick was booed.
Casserly made the right pick with Williams over Bush.
The only people who think different are the Madden players and the Buffalo Bills.

I don't disagree that Mario was the better pick between him & Bush. My point is that Mario Williams was not a bigger loss to the Texans than Kyle Williams was to the Bills.

EDS
11-22-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't disagree that Mario was the better pick between him & Bush. My point is that Mario Williams was not a bigger loss to the Texans than Kyle Williams was to the Bills.

How do you figure? Both are their respective teams best defensive player.

better days
11-22-2011, 02:50 PM
How do you figure? Both are their respective teams best defensive player.

Well, if both are their respective teams best defensive player, how is the loss of Mario a greater loss to the Texans than Kyle is to the Bills?

trapezeus
11-22-2011, 02:56 PM
well the texans can show us how awesome they are now that they've got Leinart as their QB. I can only assume they are heading on the same downward trajectory as the bills unless they are playing an unusually weak schedule.

It's going to be a lot of fun to be the only team that hasn't made the playoffs since 1999 once houston and detroit rid the monkey from their backs this January.

better days
11-22-2011, 03:05 PM
well the texans can show us how awesome they are now that they've got Leinart as their QB. I can only assume they are heading on the same downward trajectory as the bills unless they are playing an unusually weak schedule.

It's going to be a lot of fun to be the only team that hasn't made the playoffs since 1999 once houston and detroit rid the monkey from their backs this January.

That's IF Houston makes it. with Leinart, I'm not so sure. The Colts may get their one win against the Texans.

Ickybaluky
11-22-2011, 04:07 PM

I'm not sure who called him a bust, but he is a great player. He is a 2-time Pro Bowler, so I'm not sure how you could label him a bust. And... before you come back with the predictable "it's a popularity contest" comment, he was a 2-time All-Pro as well.

As for his fitting in with Wade Phillips defense, he had 5 sacks in 4 and a half games before getting hurt, so he seemed to be doing OK.

Ickybaluky
11-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Texans have had some awful injuries and I'm certainly not going to minimize those in any way. Replacing a star player is very difficult. However, it's obvious to most everyone that Houston's offense revolves around the run, and as far as I've seen, none of their OL have been injured.

However, they can't compare to the Bills in sheer number..

Point taken, but still the caliber of player being hurt is pretty mind-boggling. Mario Williams and Andre Johnson are among the best at their position in the NFL (IMO, Andre Johnson is the best WR in the NFL, just ahead of Calvin Johnson). Matt Schaub is a good QB.

I think that makes it comparable. It would be like Green Bay losing Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews Jr. and Greg Jennings, or the Patriots losing Tom Brady, Wes Welker and Vince Wilfork. We are talking guys who are great players. It is hard to replace players that caliber.

I agree the thread is kind of pointless, though. I'm not sure what Houston suffering injuries has anything to do with anything.

Ickybaluky
11-22-2011, 04:15 PM

They do get Andre Johnson back, which helps. I imagine Leinart will be handing the ball off a lot. A whole lot. They have Arian Foster and Ben Tate. They may have a run/pass mix like the Broncos now.

SABURZFAN
11-22-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure who called him a bust, but he is a great player. He is a 2-time Pro Bowler, so I'm not sure how you could label him a bust. And... before you come back with the predictable "it's a popularity contest" comment, he was a 2-time All-Pro as well.

As for his fitting in with Wade Phillips defense, he had 5 sacks in 4 and a half games before getting hurt, so he seemed to be doing OK.

nobody called him a bust. yordad is just talking out of his ass.