PDA

View Full Version : What happened to this Top 15 defense we were supposed to have?

BillsFever21
11-24-2011, 12:58 PM
This defense is totally pathetic. I remember myself and other posters debating many others on here who thought our defense was HAD TO IMPROVE and would be at least a Top 15 defense just because we drafted Dareus along with guys like Sheppard, Williams and Searcy along with other guys like Troupe and Carrington entering their 2nd season and would only get better. They acted like we are the only team in the league who gets to draft players to try and get better.

According to some we were supposed to go from a horrible defense to a Top 15 defense just because of these. Well none of them guys have contributed much and Dareus has been only average so throw that out the window.

Our defense is even worse this year. At least last year we would give up yards but not break as much. We at least had a chance to win games. This year teams are just going up and down the field at will and scoring TD's and our defense hasn't been able to hold most of them drives to FG's.

Before we know it the defense has already given up a few TD's and our offense starts off bad most of the games. We had a couple lucky 2nd halves early in the season and came back from them but that wasn't going to continue to happen.

Now our offense can't even get their act together after the slow start to keep us in the game. That's what happens when your entire passing game is as easy to defend as ours is since we run the same short plays time after time and can't/won't try to force the ball down the field.

This is one of the worst teams in the league that had a couple lucky wins early in the season. We should easily be a 3 win team right now. We might win 2 more games the rest of the year if we're lucky. We will be a team drafting in the Top 15 instead of a team in the Top 5-10 where we belong. This is a pathetic team right now.

Mahdi
11-24-2011, 01:02 PM
All that was predicated on Merriman and KW being healthy and getting into the backfield. Combined with signing Barnett and Dareus inside, it could have been a solid unit.

ServoBillieves
11-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Injuries to Kyle Williams, Chris Kelsay, Shawne Merriman, Terrence McGee, Reggie Torbor, and the inability to keep the offense on the field. That's what happened.

BillsFever21
11-24-2011, 01:40 PM
All that was predicated on Merriman and KW being healthy and getting into the backfield. Combined with signing Barnett and Dareus inside, it could have been a solid unit.

Here we go with the injury excuses to Merriman and Williams. The Williams one hurt but he's not an elite monster that would have made that much of a difference. Our defense was bad last year too when he had his best season ever and to even count Merriman as a huge factor who hadn't done anything in 4 years and has always been injured was foolish on our front office and fans.

Plus our defense was still terrible the 5 games that they did make it through. It was terrible from the start of the season. Once the lucky turnovers eventually stopped it was only going to get worse.

To base our defenses success on a player with 4 sacks in like the last 4 years and who couldn't stay healthy was foolish. He's just another player in the NFL now and one that can't even stay healthy. You can't look at the Merriman of his 1st few years into the equation. That was a healthy juiced up version of him.

We were still giving up 27 points a game give or take when them guys were in the lineup and we still would be. Our CB's are horrible, we play 4 linebackers and only one of them are decent, our DL is average at best and that's with Kyle Williams and our DC is a joke.

You were blaming injuries a couple weeks ago on Hairston, Williams and Kelsay being out. Well we had all of them back and we see what kind of difference that makes.

The injuries that do kill us now are the ones to Jackson, Wood and even Wilson. Them guys were the core of our team and playing better then anyone else on the team. Them are players we will truly miss. Not that it matters now anyway since this team is back to normal and showing their true colors.

I guess if only we would have had Merriman, Williams and Kelsay we would be 7-3 or 8-2 right now though.

2slowtogofast
11-24-2011, 01:41 PM
George Edwards an injuries

Beebe
11-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Every good team fixes there defense first and then there offense we never do any of them were always in between trying to do both every year is same game plan and we never get it right, and when we develop a good player we let them leave because we don't want to pay them that's why nobody want's to come and play for us.I hate that we never get an exciting defensive coordinator. When is it our turn to have a great defense? Just do one thing at a time.We have been waiting since JIM KELLY and BRUCE SMITH to get it right and I just think that's sad and I think we have to do better, NOW.

ServoBillieves
11-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Every good team fixes there defense first and then there offense we never do any of them were always in between trying to do both every year is same game plan and we never get it right, and when we develop a good player we let them leave because we don't want to pay them that's why nobody want's to come and play for us.I hate that we never get an exciting defensive coordinator. When is it our turn to have a great defense? Just do one thing at a time.We have been waiting since JIM KELLY and BRUCE SMITH to get it right and I just think that's sad and I think we have to do better, NOW.

Marcell Dareus, Kelvin Sheppard, Aaron Williams, DaNorris Searcy, Chris White, Justin Rodgers, Michael Jasper, Torell Troup, Alex Carrington, Arthur Moats, Danny Batten.

I would consider that trying to fix the defense while building through the draft. CJ was unnecessary, I'll give you that, but this team has drafted and brought in DEFENSE.

Injuries and a terrible DC are the problem, not the front office's failure to draft.

YardRat
11-24-2011, 02:43 PM
I knew George Edwards sucked, but I underestimated by how much.

Beebe
11-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Marcell Dareus, Kelvin Sheppard, Aaron Williams, DaNorris Searcy, Chris White, Justin Rodgers, Michael Jasper, Torell Troup, Alex Carrington, Arthur Moats, Danny Batten.

I would consider that trying to fix the defense while building through the draft. CJ was unnecessary, I'll give you that, but this team has drafted and brought in DEFENSE.

Injuries and a terrible DC are the problem, not the front office's failure to draft.

I GUESS I JUST WANT THEM TO GET IT RIGHT ALREADY AND NOT ALWAYS HAVE AN EXCUSE FOR THE 450 YARDS AND 38 POINTS WE GIVE UP ON EVERY GAME .

Raptor
11-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Injuries and lack of depth are issues but IMO most of it lands on the DC...Edwards needs to go. We need to get someone in here with a lot of experience in a 3-4

better days
11-25-2011, 12:06 AM
This defense is totally pathetic. I remember myself and other posters debating many others on here who thought our defense was HAD TO IMPROVE and would be at least a Top 15 defense just because we drafted Dareus along with guys like Sheppard, Williams and Searcy along with other guys like Troupe and Carrington entering their 2nd season and would only get better. They acted like we are the only team in the league who gets to draft players to try and get better.

According to some we were supposed to go from a horrible defense to a Top 15 defense just because of these. Well none of them guys have contributed much and Dareus has been only average so throw that out the window.

Our defense is even worse this year. At least last year we would give up yards but not break as much. We at least had a chance to win games. This year teams are just going up and down the field at will and scoring TD's and our defense hasn't been able to hold most of them drives to FG's.

Before we know it the defense has already given up a few TD's and our offense starts off bad most of the games. We had a couple lucky 2nd halves early in the season and came back from them but that wasn't going to continue to happen.

Now our offense can't even get their act together after the slow start to keep us in the game. That's what happens when your entire passing game is as easy to defend as ours is since we run the same short plays time after time and can't/won't try to force the ball down the field.

This is one of the worst teams in the league that had a couple lucky wins early in the season. We should easily be a 3 win team right now. We might win 2 more games the rest of the year if we're lucky. We will be a team drafting in the Top 15 instead of a team in the Top 5-10 where we belong. This is a pathetic team right now.

Well, I don't remember reading one post that said the Bills would have a top 15 defense. Let's see one.

YardRat
11-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Injuries and lack of depth are issues but IMO most of it lands on the DC...Edwards needs to go. We need to get someone in here with a lot of experience in a 3-4

If we can't get somebody with experience, might as well pitch it and just stick with a 43.

kishoph
11-25-2011, 04:19 AM
The Defense is different one every week due to either injuries or EDWARDS incompetence.

Jan Reimers
11-25-2011, 10:03 AM
You will never have a top defense without a pass rush.

Bill Cody
11-25-2011, 10:06 AM
You will never have a top defense without a pass rush.

Not fair. If Merriman hadn't gotten hurt he'd have 2 sacks by now.

Bill Cody
11-25-2011, 10:07 AM
I GUESS I JUST WANT THEM TO GET IT RIGHT ALREADY AND NOT ALWAYS HAVE AN EXCUSE FOR THE 450 YARDS AND 38 POINTS WE GIVE UP ON EVERY GAME .

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

EDS
11-25-2011, 11:30 AM
If anyone in the Bills organization was predicating defensive improvement on Shawne Merriman being healthy and effective they should be fired.

From my perspective, I thought the primary reason for expecting defensive improvement this season over last was the fact that they had one years experience under their belt already.

Obviously no 3-4 defense is going to be very effective without edge pass rushers and the Bills organization has not invested any significant assets in terms of bringing in that type of player since Maybin. Bringing in a broken down Merriman and 6th round draft picks don't count.

Results speak for themselves.

ServoBillieves
11-25-2011, 12:55 PM

RAWR!

better days
11-25-2011, 10:11 PM
If anyone in the Bills organization was predicating defensive improvement on Shawne Merriman being healthy and effective they should be fired.

From my perspective, I thought the primary reason for expecting defensive improvement this season over last was the fact that they had one years experience under their belt already.

Obviously no 3-4 defense is going to be very effective without edge pass rushers and the Bills organization has not invested any significant assets in terms of bringing in that type of player since Maybin. Bringing in a broken down Merriman and 6th round draft picks don't count.

Results speak for themselves.

Well, I am still waiting to see a post where ANYONE predicted the Bills would have a top 15 defense.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2011, 01:32 AM
If anyone thought we had a chance at a top 15 defense before this season started they were delusional.

Plain and simple.

Skooby
11-26-2011, 01:35 AM
If anyone thought we had a chance at a top 15 defense before this season started they were delusional.

Plain and simple.

Barring the injuries, were we that far away?

Mr. Pink
11-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Barring the injuries, were we that far away?

We can't even pick a scheme, we have a DC who can't run anything properly, we have no pass rush ability and we have corners who are absolutely atrocious in man coverage.

We're years away from a top 15 defense.

better days
11-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Plain and simple.

Well, as far as I know NOBODY was that delusional. I have yet to see a post by ANYONE stating the Bills would have a top 15 defense.

I have no idea where the origional poster came up with that. I think he is the only delusional person on this board if he thinks anybody thought that.