PDA

View Full Version : Well...at least we figured out how to use Brad Smith

RoscoeMagic
11-27-2011, 05:07 PM
If only we could now learn not to run Spiller between the tackles :scratch:

Mahdi
11-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Spiller ran well between the tackles when there was actually a hole there. Otherwise there was a wall of green in his face all day.

He picked up about 5-6 first downs today on tough runs. I think he will only get better.

RoscoeMagic
11-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Spiller ran well between the tackles when there was actually a hole there. Otherwise there was a wall of green in his face all day.

He picked up about 5-6 first downs today on tough runs. I think he will only get better.

I understand that and I know Wood was out, but Spiller's forte is not pounding it up the gut. Why we don't run more tosses and screens for him, off-tackles and pitches to the outside is beyond me. He's lethal in space. We need to utilize his speed.

Forward_Lateral
11-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I thought Spiller did well today, which is off topic, I know.

They had no choice but to use Brad Smith today. They will have to the rest of the season.

RedEyE
11-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Agreed!

Brad Smith is better suited in this offense at WR. His athleticism and hands open opportunities down field where as Donald Jones is a liability and a wasted play.

Give Fitz and Smith time to work out some timing and I think this could be even a better tandem in the future.

RoscoeMagic
11-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Agreed!

Brad Smith is better suited in this offense at WR. His athleticism and hands open opportunities down field where as Donald Jones is a liability and a wasted play.

Give Fitz and Smith time to work out some timing and I think this could be even a better tandem in the future.

He did look like an actual NFL receiver. He's big and fast and uses his body well. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks he's shown more in one game starting than Donald Jones has in two years. Of course Smith is 27 and Jones hasn't even completed his 2nd year in the league, but I'm just saying, Smith was on the bench a lot during this entire season. It's a shame we couldn't get him on the field in some capacity sooner. Hindsight is 20/20 but we should have toyed with him at WR before we put Spiller there.

RedEyE
11-29-2011, 05:59 AM
He did look like an actual NFL receiver. He's big and fast and uses his body well. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks he's shown more in one game starting than Donald Jones has in two years. Of course Smith is 27 and Jones hasn't even completed his 2nd year in the league, but I'm just saying, Smith was on the bench a lot during this entire season. It's a shame we couldn't get him on the field in some capacity sooner. Hindsight is 20/20 but we should have toyed with him at WR before we put Spiller there.

You're not alone. I can't stand Jones and have ground my teeth to dust from watching this guy drop one good pass after another.

Smith has excellent concentration and is a play maker. His size, burst and overall athleticism adds instant dimension to this offense.

Fitz and Gailey need to work on getting timing down with Smith's vertical more involved in this weeks game. If you throw to him high and away [from the DB] he's going to come down with it every time.

Jones has great size but his hands stink.

YardRat
11-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Brad Smith shouldn't be anybody's answer at WR...He's a nice complement to throw out there at times, but never top 2.

As far as Spiller, this is the NFL, not college, and getting him outside and into the open isn't as easy as it sounds and any big plays like that are a rarity. If he's going to make any mark at this level, he's going to have to learn how to run between the tackles and make his hay when he gets to the second level and then has an opportunity to kick in the afterburners.

RedEyE
11-29-2011, 07:01 AM
Brad Smith shouldn't be anybody's answer at WR...He's a nice complement to throw out there at times, but never top 2.

While that could be true, 4 catches 77 yds and a TD from a 2nd WR isn't a difficult pill to swallow. The Bills do not have a better option downfield.

RoscoeMagic
11-29-2011, 03:08 PM
If he's going to make any mark at this level, he's going to have to learn how to run between the tackles and make his hay when he gets to the second level and then has an opportunity to kick in the afterburners.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Reggie Bush makes his living with his speed, not between the tackles. Guys like Darren Sproles too, PRs, speedy RBs who can catch, etc. find their niche and become good NFL players even if they can't run between the tackles. I think that's what we need to do with Spiller.

However, you're right in that Spiller should be at least given the opportunity to see if he can pound it up the gut, I'm just skeptical. He was drafted 9th overall so obviously OBD views him as a guy who can pound the rock 20-25 times a game, so they're gonna give him all the chances possible. I just think, and thought at the time of the draft, that he's not that kind of RB. Hence, the waste of a 9th overall pick. But he still can be a very good player and carve out a nice role for himself like Reggie Bush. Worth the 2nd overall pick? Nope. An asset to the team? Absolutely.

RoscoeMagic
11-29-2011, 03:10 PM
While that could be true, 4 catches 77 yds and a TD from a 2nd WR isn't a difficult pill to swallow. The Bills do not have a better option downfield.

Looks to me like all Smith needs to work on is his hands and running better routes to get open. Hmm...sounds like Donald Jones needs work on the same things.

I could be wrong but has Smith ever been given the opportunity to be a full-time WR in the NFL? What do we have to lose? We're paying him big money, it's better than him sitting his ass on the bench and coming in two plays a game to run the wildcat and take four knees in the endzone per game when the other team kicks off.