PDA

View Full Version : What will make you think this season is a success?

Forward_Lateral
11-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Let's face it, playoffs are pretty much out of the picture, unless the Bills run the table and a few teams choke.

What are you hoping for the rest of the season, to make it a success? I'd still like to see 8-8. I think a 4 win improvement over last season is very good.

I obviously want to see the Bills pay the Dolphins back and mud stomp them in 2 weeks. I want to see Tim Tebow get crucified on Christmas Eve.

It would also be sweet if the Bills swept the Pats, but that might be asking for too much.

better days
11-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Let's face it, playoffs are pretty much out of the picture, unless the Bills run the table and a few teams choke.

What are you hoping for the rest of the season, to make it a success? I'd still like to see 8-8. I think a 4 win improvement over last season is very good.

I obviously want to see the Bills pay the Dolphins back and mud stomp them in 2 weeks. I want to see Tim Tebow get crucified on Christmas Eve.

It would also be sweet if the Bills swept the Pats, but that might be asking for too much.

I just want to see EXCITING Football the rest of the season, like yesterdays game. It would be GREAT to see the Bills sweep the Pats*, that would make the season for me.

OpIv37
11-28-2011, 08:59 AM
8-8 and no worse than 3-3 in the division.

I'd also like to see the D tighten up and show some semblance of a pass rush, and I'd like to see Spiller show he belongs in the NFL now that he has the opportunity.

delectrolux
11-28-2011, 09:04 AM

I'd also like to see the D tighten up and show some semblance of a pass rush, and I'd like to see Spiller show he belongs in the NFL now that he has the opportunity.

This is exactly what I'd like to see too. I would be excited for next year with this result.

Extremebillsfan247
11-28-2011, 09:07 AM

It would also be sweet if the Bills swept the Pats, but that might be asking for too much. Give me 2 more wins. If they did nothing else this year, going 7-9 is a decent improvement over 4-12. JMO

better days

I think Spiller played well yesterday considering he had no holes to run through. I doubt he puts up big numbers the rest of the year behind this OL, but he kept some drives alive by making the 1st down & caught a few balls.

I can't wait to see what he does next year behind a decent OL.

Albany,n.y.
If Ralph cleans house & gets rid of Nix & Gailey.

djjimkelly
11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
if the powers that be use this season to realize we need

2OLBS desperately

2WRS desperately

then it will be a sucess

djjimkelly
11-28-2011, 09:13 AM

ridiculous

THATHURMANATOR
11-28-2011, 09:14 AM
There is no way for this season to be a success at this point. It only can be judged a complete failure.

Some things I would like to see however are:
1) Spiller show he can be a lead NFL back
2) Johnson to mature and worry more about the game than his antics
3) Aaron Williams to get a lot of playing time and progress into a decent starter
4) See above for Kelvin Sheppard
5) George Edwards fired

better days
11-28-2011, 09:26 AM
if the powers that be use this season to realize we need

2OLBS desperately

2WRS desperately

then it will be a sucess

An OT or two wouldn't hurt either. Preferably a LT, but if they could get a VERY GOOD RT in the draft, I would settle for that.

Forward_Lateral
11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
There is no way for this season to be a success at this point. It only can be judged a complete failure.

Some things I would like to see however are:
1) Spiller show he can be a lead NFL back
2) Johnson to mature and worry more about the game than his antics
3) Aaron Williams to get a lot of playing time and progress into a decent starter
4) See above for Kelvin Sheppard
5) George Edwards fired

Are you serious? Why is it a complete failure? Can you honestly say that before the season you expected the Bills to win 11 or more games and make the playoffs? Because that's very likely how many wins it will take.

bf1
11-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Are you serious? Why is it a complete failure? Can you honestly say that before the season you expected the Bills to win 11 or more games and make the playoffs? Because that's very likely how many wins it will take.

Talent wise, do you see any progress? I see the same old team, just with better game planning from Chan. I think Chan squeezed all of the water out of this rock. Now it's up to Bumbling Buddy to wake the f up and get some real bonafide talent on this team. No more Merriman type experiments.

justasportsfan
11-28-2011, 09:45 AM
All I wanted was improvement. Signs of moving the right direction. Although it started that way, we now know that Gailey is not a miracle worker. He can only do so much with a bunch of nobodies. We're going to need more talent and a better DC.

Albany,n.y.
11-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I believe any season that the team is not either a Super Bowl contender or shows signs of becoming one in the not too distant future is a complete failure. The goal should always be to field a Super Bowl winning team & anything else IS a failure.
I go to just about every home game and while a win is nice to leave the stadium & the nearly 300 mile trip is a lot more pleasant after a win, I just can't see how anyone can be satisfied with a team that has no chance of being a Super Bowl contender now & in the forseeable future. That good feeling after a win is soon replaced with the reality that my team isn't very good.
Herm Edwards had it all wrong =for the NFL players (remember something-we're just fans with no ability to win or lose any games) you don't "Play to win the game." What NFL players play for, besides the $, is to win a championship. That's why there ARE meaningless games in the NFL, and unfortunately, the Bills play in far too many of them come December.

Forward_Lateral
11-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Talent wise, do you see any progress? I see the same old team, just with better game planning from Chan. I think Chan squeezed all of the water out of this rock. Now it's up to Bumbling Buddy to wake the f up and get some real bonafide talent on this team. No more Merriman type experiments.

On defense, no.

On offense, yes. Before Wood got hurt, the O-line was much improved I thought. David Nelson looks improved, they have a viable threat at TE in Chandler. The running game was improved (until Fred got hurt).

It's going to take a lot more than Marcel Dareus to fix the Defense.

better days
11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I believe any season that the team is not either a Super Bowl contender or shows signs of becoming one in the not too distant future is a complete failure. The goal should always be to field a Super Bowl winning team & anything else IS a failure.
I go to just about every home game and while a win is nice to leave the stadium & the nearly 300 mile trip is a lot more pleasant after a win, I just can't see how anyone can be satisfied with a team that has no chance of being a Super Bowl contender now & in the forseeable future. That good feeling after a win is soon replaced with the reality that my team isn't very good.
Herm Edwards had it all wrong =for the NFL players (remember something-we're just fans with no ability to win or lose any games) you don't "Play to win the game." What NFL players play for, besides the $, is to win a championship. That's why there ARE meaningless games in the NFL, and unfortunately, the Bills play in far too many of them come December.

There is no question fans can help their team win games. There are some Cities other teams hate to go to because the fans give that team a home field advantage. Buffalo is one of those Cities.

baalworship
11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I will be watching Nix's draft picks and make my mind up there. Record doesn't mean anything now it's what we have as our future.

First draft of Nix looks bad. Spiller is a nice player but not worth #9 pick. Troupe a healthy scrath and Carrington is just a guy. Best player from the draft was Nelson who we picked up undrafted.

This year Dareus has shown signs but he needs to continue to develop. He has looked anywhere from awesome to ordinary. DT's typically don't develop as quickly so I am going to cut him some slack (plus he was sick yesterday). Aaron Williams, Searcy look decent but who knows. Williams could be a decent starter. The best pick from the draft might be Hairston who could be our future LT but he needs seasoning.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-28-2011, 10:37 AM
No playoffs, no success. They have shot themselves in the foot (figuratively, not literally... ahem, Mr. Johnson). There is no way a team on its twelfth consecutive non-playoff season in a league supposedly devoted to parity can consider itself successful with that long of a streak.

Success = playoffs. Period. Anything less = failure.

Barring a miracle, they've failed.

PTI
11-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I would like to se Fitzpatrick undoubtedly show that he is capable of the Bills passing on a QB in round 1 next year. I do not think this is possible though.

Mr. Pink
11-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Those two clowns shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

ServoBillieves
11-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Honestly? This season has already been a success. I'll get flamed for saying that, and in many ways rightfully so... But as many have said in other threads, did we really expect much out of this team?

Compared to last year...
1) We have a threat at TE that we haven't had in a while.
2) Stevie wasn't a 1 year wonder, and David Nelson looks legit
3) The O-Line (pre-injury) looked great and was keeping Fitzy on his feet

This team has it's ups and downs. We aren't all there yet, but we are pretty close.

For those of us who believed in the 3 year deal, we're in year 2, think we're in the right direction?

Oh, and since it apparently needs to be said every post... Fire George Edwards.

TacklingDummy
11-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Success would be losing out and getting in the best draft position possible.

OpIv37
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Success would be losing out and getting in the best draft position possible.

Why? So we can draft another Spiller, Maybin, McKelvin or Lynch? At this point I'll just take the win because we're gonna botch the draft regardless if we're #1 or #32.

And before anyone says "well that was the previous FO," take a look at the 2010 draft.

PromoTheRobot
11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
8-8 would salvage the season. Anything less than 7-9, though a decent improvement from 4-12, would feel like failure after the 5-2 start.

PTR

Historian
11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Jim Kelly buys the team...

Ed
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I said before the season that I would be disappointed with anything less then 9-7. I'll stick by that. I still want to see this team have a winning record to show that they're really making some progress. This division is too tough to settle for anything less.

The things I want to see the rest of the way:

CJ Spiller stepping up and looking like a legit big play threat.
Our rookies on D to continue to get playing time and gain experience.
Fitzpatrick to continue to play like he did yesterday and look like a leader that can take us to the playoffs.
Someone else starting at OLB instead of Spencer Johnson.

Forward_Lateral
11-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Jim Kelly buys the team...

That would make the past 15 years worth it, IMO.

MattyNH
11-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Since I live in New England, beating the Pats made the season for me. Other than that I want to see progress mostly at the QB position and there has been some compared to years past. I would like to see some of the few first round picks to make progress. McKelvin has been taken off defense so that is a loss. that leaves Spiller and Dareus. I want to see them do better than they have to date. Dareus I have high hopes for.

superbills
11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I would like to se Fitzpatrick undoubtedly show that he is capable of the Bills passing on a QB in round 1 next year. I do not think this is possible though.

It's hardly "out on a limb" and I'm sure you didn't "hear it here first", but I'll go on record saying that the Bills will NOT be drafting a QB in round 1 in April, regardless of the outcome of the rest of the season.

SABURZFAN
11-28-2011, 02:36 PM

losing the current owner would make this season a success.

bf1
11-28-2011, 03:08 PM
The only way to deem THIS season a success is if September 2012 we can look back and see all of the holes filled. Defensive end, linebackers, big physical receiver(s), all around depth. You know, stuff Bumbling Buddy Nix has been ignoring for 2 straight years.

DesertFox24
11-28-2011, 04:24 PM

I agree 8 wins would make me happy. I said before the season 7-9 and that we lacked the depth and overall talent to be a playoff team.

We all had a false sense of hope, but I think this team is getting better and getting better players and that we should be good next year.

Next season had better be 9 wins or better.

I said when they hired Nix and Gailey that the 2012 season would be the one that I judged them by.

DesertFox24
11-28-2011, 04:26 PM
The only way to deem THIS season a success is if September 2012 we can look back and see all of the holes filled. Defensive end, linebackers, big physical receiver(s), all around depth. You know, stuff Bumbling Buddy Nix has been ignoring for 2 straight years.

I would not say he has ignored them. He has built a respectable OL when we did not have one the year before he and Gailey arrived. The DL is bigger and we are better at stopping the run, we just need OLBs who can contain. That means stop playing spencer Johnson as a OLB and play him at RE.

imbondz
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
from a 5-2 start to finish 7-9 some of you would consider a successful season. wow. drink some more kool-aid.

it doesn't matter what we thought before the season started. our expectations changed based on starting 3-0, then 5-2, and you can't then go back to pre-season expectations. makes no sense.

from 5-2, going 3-6 the rest of the way is not a successful season. we lost our #1 guy to a season ending injury, potentially having one of the greatest seasons in Bills history. our Defense is embarrassingly bad w/ zero pass rush, our O-line is ok IF Fitz gets the ball out in 2 seconds, and our #1 WR is injured. Endless, key injuries to - Kyle Williams, Chris Kelsay, Shawne Merriman, Wood, Terrence McGee, Reggie Torbor...

we got smoked BY THE F-*&^(*& DOLPHINS 35-8.

We lose to the Jets twice, the first game at home we don't even show up, yesterday, we lose because our WR loses all ability to catch the ball under 2 minutes left. We've been blown out 3 of the last 5 losses. Jets/Dallas/Dolphins.

if we go 9-7, then maybe I can see it as a successful season from last year. But we'll still have to have the best draft we've had in years for me to say we're moving forward.

better days
11-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Those two clowns shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

No, Williams, Mularkey & Jauron should not have been hired in the first place.

They left a DEEP hole for Nix & Gailey to climb out from.

Historian
11-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Donahoe really.

He was the guy that shoved this team into reverse, with very questionable front office moves.

We were an extremely sucessful franchise for the previous 15 years, then he ripped at the fabric of the team:

the pro personnel dept
the training department
the marketing department...and on and on.

I don't really care that we drafted player B before player A or visa versa.

What bothers me are the fundamental changes he made to an organization that had a very good track record in the past....cahanges that did NOT need to be made.

The result: a franchise that flounders for a decade and beyond.

:(

Extremebillsfan247
11-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Talent wise, do you see any progress? I see the same old team, just with better game planning from Chan. I think Chan squeezed all of the water out of this rock. Now it's up to Bumbling Buddy to wake the f up and get some real bonafide talent on this team. No more Merriman type experiments.Talent wise there is progress. Dareus, Sheppard, A. Williams, Searcy are all starting to play well. This could turn out to be one of the best Bills draft classes in years. JMO

Ed
11-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Talent wise there is progress. Dareus, Sheppard, A. Williams, Searcy are all starting to play well. This could turn out to be one of the best Bills draft classes in years. JMO
I agree. Now that we're pretty much out of the playoff picture, the best thing that can happen for the rest of the season is seeing our rookies gain some experience and show some progress. I really like the results so far too. We have five rookies starting right now, and they all look like they belong.

BillsFever21
11-30-2011, 09:05 PM

When you start off 3-0 and then 5-2 and end up as a 7 or 8 win team if we are lucky then yes that is a huge failure. It doesn't matter how you try to spin it we had an epic collapse.

Without some lucky bounces and wins in a few of them first 5 wins it would be even worse. Two of the wins were games you might win once in every 10 tries. We happened to win both of them. After the league caught up with us we were junk.

I predicted a 6 win season with a possibility of 7 or 8 wins if we get some lucky bounces and wins in a couple games. After the 5-2 start I was happy to finally be wrong only for the Bills to pull another choke job and keep my prediction streak of the last 5 years or so alive.