PDA

View Full Version : Young CBs Performed

Mahdi
11-28-2011, 10:20 AM
A positive out of this game is that the young CBs performed really well I thought.

Rogers and Williams were making a lot of plays and showed real good coverage on their WRs.

I think we might have 2 really good players there going forward.

Florence was good yesterday too...

Forward_Lateral
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Williams made a few mistakes, but he did play better than McKelvin's been playing.

Oaf
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Williams sucked IMO. Most 3rd down pass conversions, not to mention the TD pass at the end, were on his guy. I think he'll be good, but needs a ton more experience. Is it insane I was asking for where McKelvin was?

Mahdi
11-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Williams sucked IMO. Most 3rd down pass conversions, not to mention the TD pass at the end, were on his guy. I think he'll be good, but needs a ton more experience. Is it insane I was asking for where McKelvin was?
I didn't see that at all. I saw them making plays all over the field and that was when Sanchez had several seconds to throw.

The TD at the end can't be blamed on anyone from the secondary. We blitzed, didn't get there and gave Sanchez all the time he needed to wait on his WRs to get open.

You can't cover for that long...

WeAreArthurMoates
11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
I agree, both played very well considering there rookies. If they continue this play the rest of the season not only will it help us win some games, but it will ease my concerns going into the offseason about the position. I really liked how Rodgers played, looked like a young Greer out there.

trapezeus
11-28-2011, 11:01 AM
hard to tell in that game. Sanchez was so inaccurate that they could kind of roam around and had passes thrown behind the receiver. Rogers wouldn't have made that goal line break up if it was thrown well.

It did give me hope that it still is about getting quality LB's into the unit so that the CB's aren't in coverage for weeks at a time.

tampabay25690
11-28-2011, 11:22 AM
I cant figure out wy we can't cover a frgin TE....................

How many years have we been saying this...........

mrbojanglezs
11-28-2011, 11:39 AM
rodgers made a great play diving in front of a pass in the endzone to break it up.

Williams looked good, but its obvious he is a rookie and he made mistakes. Although he shows promise and I think he will be a good corner for us. At least he seems smart, I think that is Mckelvin's main problem is his lack of smart play

Mahdi
11-28-2011, 11:45 AM
To add to this thread,

I thought Hairston and the rest of the OL had a really strong game in pass protection. They gave Fitz a pocket to step up into all day which gave Stevie time to lose Revis.

Despite the losing streak, I think we have some future starters on this team.

Brad Smith
Hairston
Williams
Rogers
Searcy looked good too
Shepp has been ok, hard to tell though when our DL is being knocked off the ball
Chambers looks very tough to cover

If only we can find an OLB that can do something.... anything

mrbojanglezs
11-28-2011, 11:50 AM
To add to this thread,

I thought Hairston and the rest of the OL had a really strong game in pass protection. They gave Fitz a pocket to step up into all day which gave Stevie time to lose Revis.

Despite the losing streak, I think we have some future starters on this team.

Brad Smith
Hairston
Williams
Rogers
Searcy looked good too
Shepp has been ok, hard to tell though when our DL is being knocked off the ball
Chambers looks very tough to cover

If only we can find an OLB that can do something.... anything

I think Nix's last draft was great, his 2010 draft is looking more and more like a complete failure.

If Nix can repeat or improve upon this past draft with the next one we will be in good shape.

Pass rushers, big fast WR, another CB or two are all areas i'd like to see addressed

PTI
11-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Well, Sanchez was getting over 230 yards a game and he had 181. I know the 4 TDs are not good. The Jets receivers made some really great catches.

Ed
11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
I think our failures on pass defense have stemmed largely from a complete lack of a pass rush, and not so much because of our secondary play. Sanchez had all day to throw yesterday. I'm on board with adding another rookie CB next year to replace McGee, but our lack of pass rush is what's killing us.

EDS
11-28-2011, 12:30 PM
I think Nix's last draft was great, his 2010 draft is looking more and more like a complete failure.

If Nix can repeat or improve upon this past draft with the next one we will be in good shape.

Pass rushers, big fast WR, another CB or two are all areas i'd like to see addressed

Last year around this time people thought guys like Moats and Troupe were players with a future . . .

tampabay25690
11-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Last year around this time people thought guys like Moats and Troupe were players with a future . . .

They still are.

kingJofNYC
11-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Considering the pass rush our backend played really well. Searcy, despite his blown coverage, was pretty good for a guy playing his 2nd game. Like Williams as well. If we had a pass rush they would've looked even better, Sanchez would've never been able to scramble for that TD.

YardRat
11-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Williams and Searcy are keepers, and Rogers looked OK.

mrbojanglezs
11-28-2011, 09:44 PM
They still are.

maybe moats, but troupe is looking like a bust chronic back problems at his age won't get any better when he gets older Bills should just cut him

madness
11-28-2011, 11:26 PM
I didn't see that at all. I saw them making plays all over the field and that was when Sanchez had several seconds to throw.

The TD at the end can't be blamed on anyone from the secondary. We blitzed, didn't get there and gave Sanchez all the time he needed to wait on his WRs to get open.

You can't cover for that long...

Williams did own up to it. He left his man to help out, leaving Holmes uncovered. If he had stayed home, Sanchez probably would have had to make a tough throw to Keller with Scott all over his back or run it OB for a few yards.

Otherwise, I liked what I saw from these young corners as well. More time on the field and film study will eliminate these mistakes.

CB Williams hard on himself (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/11/28/cb-williams-hard-on-himself/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2011-11-28T01:14:05+0000"> November 28, 2011 – 1:14 am </abbr> </small>

It was just his second career start, so there’s an awful lot for Aaron Williams to learn in the NFL. But that wasn’t going to be used as an excuse by the rookie cornerback, who was one of the last players to leave Buffalo’s locker room at MetLife Stadium after Buffalo loss to the Jets. A loss Williams felt he was a more important part of than he wanted to be.
Williams drew the assignment of Santonio Holmes. And while early in the game he broke up a 1st-and-goal touchdown pass from Mark Sanchez that was intended for Holmes and on the whole played well it wasn’t making him feel any better knowing he allowed Holmes to catch what proved to be the game-winning touchdown reception with just over a minute remaining.
“My only responsibility was to be on Santonio and I had him in the end zone and I turned my head to see Sanchez scrambling so I look at my guy again and he’s right next to me,” Williams told Buffalobills.com. ”Then I look back and there’s a guy coming across and I didn’t see anybody on him so I figured I’d pick him up, and I completely forgot my man and that play is on me. I probably was one of the main factors for why we lost, but I can’t do anything about it now. I have to learn from it and move on.”
Williams will be fine in time, the talented cornerback just needs more time on the job.
Buffalo has had its share of hard lessons under Chan Gailey first with an 0-8 start in 2010 and three losses this season by four points of less. Gailey is hopeful his team learns from these painful lessons.
“If it doesn’t kill you it makes you stronger. Hopefully we get stronger through all of this,” said Gailey. ”I hope we become not only stronger, but smarter because we can be very good and if we dumb games away we’re killing ourselves. So everybody has got to be on board with where we are and we’ve learned some tough lessons and hopefully it’ll pay dividends. We’re fighters and we’re tough guys, but we’re not getting the job done in the win column.”

jamze132
11-29-2011, 04:47 AM
I think Williams is going to be a good CB. These mistake were going to be made regardless, hopefully he learns from them.

Revis was torched a couple of times as a rookie too. (no, I'm not comparing Williams to Revis)

RoscoeMagic
11-29-2011, 03:21 PM
I liked what I saw out of Rogers and Williams. Unfortunately I have to remain guarded because Mark Sanchez was the QB.