PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Jags fire Coach, Selling the team.

Extremebillsfan247
11-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Adam Schefter reporting via Twitter.

Extremebillsfan247
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
This could mean they may end up in LA, hopefully its another peg that keeps the Bills tents in Buffalo. JMO

BLeonard
11-29-2011, 10:03 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7293624/jacksonville-jaguars-fire-longtime-coach-jack-del-rio-sources-say

In addition, the Jaguars are in the process of being sold, a sources familiar with situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and Mortensen. Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver will announce the sale during Tuesday's news conference. The league will need to approve the sale of the team and the purchaser is unknown. The plan is for the team to remain in Jacksonville.

Then again, I'm pretty sure they said the exact same thing about the Seattle Supersonics.

-Bill

RedEyE
11-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Can we bring him in as a replacement for Edwards?

justasportsfan
11-29-2011, 10:17 AM

would that mean switching back to 4-3 and asking Poz to come with him?

BLeonard
11-29-2011, 10:20 AM
One more interesting not on the team being sold...

Until this came out, I had heard nothing regarding a potential sale of the Jags... That tells me that, even in this day of information leaking before half of the parties involved know about what's happening, things can be still kept confidential, if the parties involved want to keep it confidential.

We could very well hear about Ralph and the Bills' succession plan in the exact same way, even though, at this moment, we know nothing. One day, nothing is know, the next, then entire plan is on the front page of ESPN...

-Bill

RedEyE
11-29-2011, 10:23 AM
would that mean switching back to 4-3 and asking Poz to come with him?

ROFL

Pinkerton Security
11-29-2011, 10:23 AM
the plan is to keep them in Jax IF the next owner wants that...i know i wouldnt want that, they dont make any money there.

Skooby
11-29-2011, 10:28 AM
http://mobile.tampabay.sbnation.com/2011/11/29/2596127/jaguars-will-be-sold-to-shahid-kahn-set-to-stay-in-jacksonville

BLeonard
11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
the plan is to keep them in Jax IF the next owner wants that...i know i wouldnt want that, they dont make any money there.

Well, word I'm getting is that the next Jags owner will be Shahid Khan...

Tried to buy the Rams, until Stan Kroenke matched Khan's offer, which he was allowed to do because of a clause in the ownership agreement.

Khan is from Illinois, so no real ties to Jacksonville that I can find...

-Bill

RedEyE
11-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Khan is just a great name for football, isn't it?

Fuel for gametime signage:
You have Gengis Khan...
The Wrath of Khan...
..and Chaka Khan - oh , wait...

Skooby
11-29-2011, 10:42 AM

You have Gengis Khan...
The Wrath of Khan...

Kublai Khan:

http://www.thenagain.info/webchron/china/kublaikhan.html

Oaf
11-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Wrong animal IMO. Khan should really go for Bengals.

BLeonard
11-29-2011, 10:48 AM

You have Gengis Khan...
The Wrath of Khan...

Wrestling fans of the 1980's might remember Killer Khan...

http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/pictures/killerkhan2.jpg

And of course, Kahn Souphanousinphone:

http://images.wikia.com/kingofthehill/images/e/e8/Khan.jpg

-Bill

BertSquirtgum
11-29-2011, 10:57 AM
The L.A. Jaguars. That has a nice sound to it.

better days
11-29-2011, 11:00 AM

You have Gengis Khan...
The Wrath of Khan...

Chaka was hot back in the day.

DraftBoy
11-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Khan has given written word to the Jags former owner Wayne Weaver that he will keep the team in Jacksonville.

Jacksonville was never really a team that was going to move to LA.

better days
11-29-2011, 11:04 AM
The L.A. Jaguars. That has a nice sound to it.

Jaguars.........what a STUPID name for a Football team....from Jacksonville Fla. But it is generic so I guess they would not have to change it if they don't want to when they move.

IMO, I would dump that name in a heartbeat.

trapezeus
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
LA Cougars would make more sense.

OpIv37
11-29-2011, 11:12 AM
One more interesting not on the team being sold...

Until this came out, I had heard nothing regarding a potential sale of the Jags... That tells me that, even in this day of information leaking before half of the parties involved know about what's happening, things can be still kept confidential, if the parties involved want to keep it confidential.

We could very well hear about Ralph and the Bills' succession plan in the exact same way, even though, at this moment, we know nothing. One day, nothing is know, the next, then entire plan is on the front page of ESPN...

-Bill

Yeah well, if they end up moving the team, it's interesting in a BAD way.

Think about it- if an owner is doing things to make sure a team stays put after they die- a la Lamar Hunt, why WOULDN'T you want that to be public information? It's great PR.

The only reason you would keep a sale quiet is the intent to move the team, or something else that will likely be unpopular with fans. I suspect the Jags will end up moving, which is why this was kept so quiet.

better days
11-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Nice, I like what you did there. I'm sure there are MANY Cougars roaming the bars & resturants of LA.

DraftBoy
11-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Think about it- if an owner is doing things to make sure a team stays put after they die- a la Lamar Hunt, why WOULDN'T you want that to be public information? It's great PR.

The only reason you would keep a sale quiet is the intent to move the team, or something else that will likely be unpopular with fans. I suspect the Jags will end up moving, which is why this was kept so quiet.

Keep in mind this wasn't that quite. Khan was in the market and Weaver has known financial issues pending. Its happened fast which is why it appears quiet.

better days
11-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Khan has given written word to the Jags former owner Wayne Weaver that he will keep the team in Jacksonville.

The City of Jacksonville paid Weaver for any unsold seats. If they continue to do that, they may be able to hold on to the team but I doubt a piece of paper Khan gave to Weaver will keep the Jags there if Khan decides to move them.

BLeonard
11-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Believe me, I've thought about it... Here's what I came up with:

I think we can all agree that Ralph is a ****ty football owner. That being said, he is a very good businessman. Currently, the number one reason people feel compelled to buy tickets is the whole "If we don't buy tickets, the team will move" myth. How many times have people said that?

Now, let's assume for a second that Ralph came out tomorrow and announced his succession plan, stating that the Bills were secure in Buffalo. While that's good to hear, his #1 selling point (fear of the team moving if people don't buy tickets) is now gone. With the franchise's future secure, people wouldn't feel compelled to buy tickets nearly as much as they do now.

Long story short, I believe the reason for Ralph not announcing his succession plan is the simple fact that, if he does, he loses his best bargaining chip for selling tickets and keeping the revenues flowing in.

Let me ask you this: Which press conference would benefit Ralph more today? One announcing the team being secure in Buffalo, or one stating that if ticket sales continue to fall short, he might have to consider looking at alternatives?

Which press conference is more likley to help sell out the Bills/Titans game on Sunday?

-Bill

paladin warrior
11-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Nice, I like what you did there. I'm sure there are MANY Cougars roaming the bars & resturants of LA. Southern Ca have alots of mountain lion and Should change the name Jag into LA Mountain lionhttp://cdn2.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CSP/CSP434/k4346901.jpghttp://cdn5.fotosearch.com/bthumb/BDX/BDX357/bxp68851.jpg

better days
11-29-2011, 11:43 AM

I just read on Profootballtalk.com that there is nothing in WRITING from Khan that the Jags will stay in Jax.

DraftBoy
11-29-2011, 11:48 AM
I just read on Profootballtalk.com that there is nothing in WRITING from Khan that the Jags will stay in Jax.

CBS's Mike Freeman originally said it was, he has since retracted and said he got bad info.

Sad day, Weaver was a genuine nice guy.

paladin warrior
11-29-2011, 11:50 AM
DO u thing it going to happen if NY Giant and Chargers lose in wildcard spot and fire Tom Coughin and Norv Turner

» Jeff Fisher would be very attractive to the Cowboys or Giants -- he is very close to ownership there and those jobs would be appealing to him, according to sources. One of them could open up. He'd be a natural fit in either, and he doesn't bring a designated general manager or personnel guy with him, which fits both models there (Dallas doesn't have one, and the Giants are very pleased with the work of Jerry Reese).

There will be more openings than there are hot coordinators on the rise, which could mean potential jobs for Brian Billick, Jim Mora, Mike Sherman, or perhaps even some consideration for Brad Childress. It will be a unique marketplace if upwards of 10 jobs open in a climate in which so many rising coordinators have already been hired in the past few years, taking them off the market. There are only so many top candidates to go around, and the specter of a host of new GMs could lead to some coaches being hired who aren't on our radar right now.

better days
11-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Southern Ca have alots of mountain lion and Should change the name Jag into LA Mountain lionhttp://cdn2.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CSP/CSP434/k4346901.jpghttp://cdn5.fotosearch.com/bthumb/BDX/BDX357/bxp68851.jpg

Well, that would be better than Jags, but I like traps suggestion of Cougars. LA is known for its many good looking Cougars.

trapezeus
11-29-2011, 02:34 PM
hypotheticla situation: I am ridiculously wealthy and want to own an NFL team. I am still a die hard Bills fan.

Situation 1a: Bills are not available for sale and the Jags come up for sale. I would have no issues buying the team and then moving the team to make bigger profits.

Situation 1b: bills are for sale. I would purchase and gut the franchise. Everyone scout and front office staff would be fired immediately. I would then be very committed to staying in buffalo because it's my hometown.

the point of this, if you aren't from an area, your team is an investment and returns are paramount. If the team means something beyond an investment, you'd do anything no matter how stupid to help your team in the city they belong.

justasportsfan
11-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Situation 1b: bills are for sale. I would purchase and gut the franchise.

there goes my football fan card and watch WNBA :ill:

SABURZFAN
11-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Wrestling fans of the 1980's might remember Killer Khan...

http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/pictures/killerkhan2.jpg

-Bill

absolutely. he broke Andre the Giant's leg.

Saratoga Slim
11-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Regardless of who the new owner is, the thing complicating a relocation is the Jags' stadium lease, which carries a very heavy opt-out fee. Change in ownership doesn't get you out of the lease.

stuckincincy
11-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Wrong animal IMO. Khan should really go for Bengals.

Brown would never leave. The most one-sided stadium deal in history. All maintenance, no possibility of a ticket tax, full say over what happens in the stadium,,County responsible for all maintenance, Brown can veto any businesses nearby, if a percentage of other stadiums get some improvement (like BUF's new Jumbotron), taxpayers have to buy same for Mikie, etc.

Somebody wrote a book about it.

Hamilton County, OH:

Slash somebody's face with a razor? You get processed, and back out in the street in 4 hours - no room at the jail. County can't afford a new one. Have to pay the stadium debt.

Think your gas pumps and scales are accurate? Nope - the weights and measures folks were canned.

Worried about the massive fraud in the social agencies? Hamilton fired their inspectors, one of which recovered $900k his last year. Headline in the paper here a month or so ago..six-figure fraud ring discovered. Pay that stadium debt.

Food and eatery inspection? Roll the dice.

Property tax? Already in the top three in the state by a factor of two. Soon to rise.

My wife will retire in a bit. We will move, and not to any area where there is a NFL presence.

If the Bills want a new stadium, fine. Let them float private bond issues, keep their claws out of the people's money. Let those that want it, open their own wallets and peel off their own greenbacks.

Like that would happen. Fans - so-called - want others to pay for their yucks. Same as crabbing at cable companies who resist raising prices on everybody, who tell the NFL that would be happy to offer a PPV tier for those who want it - it falls on deaf ears of the NFL and crummy fans who want others to pay for their jollies.

The "economic impact" of sports teams has been debunked ages ago.

ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Jaguars.........what a STUPID name for a Football team....from Jacksonville Fla. But it is generic so I guess they would not have to change it if they don't want to when they move.

IMO, I would dump that name in a heartbeat.

Why is that stupid? The southern US once had a healthy population of Jaguars. They're larger, more powerful and a bit nastier than Cougars.

Beebe's Kid
11-29-2011, 04:45 PM

::rimshot

Beebe's Kid
11-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Why is that stupid? The southern US once had a healthy population of Jaguars. They're larger, more powerful and a bit nastier than Cougars.

I believe there are still a few left in the Everglades, no?

The jaguar is a bad mother shut your mouth. They kill ****, then take in up a tree to eat it. I'm not talking about a ****ing baby hyena either, big ****ing animals. They are strong enough to carry, what I believe is, their own weight in prey up a tree.

That's just impressive...like Baxter eating an entire cheese wheel.

better days
11-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Regardless of who the new owner is, the thing complicating a relocation is the Jags' stadium lease, which carries a very heavy opt-out fee. Change in ownership doesn't get you out of the lease.

Well, that was the case a few years ago, not so much now about the opt out of the lease. The number goes down every year. It is more affordable to break the lease now than back when it was signed.

Also Weaver asked that $148 Million dollars be spent by the City of Jax to improve the Stadium back in 2008. I am not aware that they have done anything about that.

YardRat
11-29-2011, 04:51 PM

He really only has 1 season experience as a DC....Pass.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
As I understand things, the commitment to keep the team in Jacksonville was verbal and not written. Given the fact that Khan tried to buy the Rams before, another team that was tied to LA rumors... the chances of the Jags moving to LA are still pretty good. Khan could be a mere middleman or partner for either the Johnson/Lieweke or the Roski groups. In other words, he could agree (even in writing, depending on the phrasing) to keep the team in Jacksonville, but once he sold it to someone else the successor wouldn't be bound to that word. 760M is relatively cheap for an NFL team, so any fees would simply bring the price up to the average.

ParanoidAndroid
11-30-2011, 05:45 AM

The jaguar is a bad mother shut your mouth. They kill ****, then take in up a tree to eat it. I'm not talking about a ****ing baby hyena either, big ****ing animals. They are strong enough to carry, what I believe is, their own weight in prey up a tree.

That's just impressive...like Baxter eating an entire cheese wheel.

If there are any in the Everglades, they are completely cut off from the rest of the Jaguar population.

OpIv37
11-30-2011, 07:23 AM

There are panthers in the Everglades, which are a very close relative of- but not the same- as jaguars.

And the panthers are very rare. I saw a documentary about them and they said there are forest rangers who can work their whole careers in the Everglades and never even see one.

RedEyE
11-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Well, Khan it is and Khan says the team stays in Jacksonville.

With the LA stadium set for an unveiling in 2016-2017, the Jaguars could still very well be a candidate if ticket sales fail to increase.

At this point in time the Jaguars are committed to the lease with Jacksonville until 2027. But as someone already mentioned there is the ability of opting out of the lease. However the fine for moving the team before 2027 could cost the owner tens of millions of dollars.

As a Bills fan this concerns me as the Bills lease is up in 2013. Considering the above, if Khan was inclined at moving the Jaguars, he would certianly have to wiegh the finacial negatives against the positives to determine the best course of action. Where as, Wilson, or any new owner (if something happens to Wilson, or he sells the team) would not have to weigh the same options.

I know Wilson has been trying to sign a 10 year extension with the county. The county is not concerned and thinks it has time to better settle on descisions. I beg to differ. If Wilson's health takes a turn for the worse next year and he passes, his benefactors may not be as gracious with negotiations forcing a sale to the highest bidder.

Based on past Jaguars ticket sales I was always of the impression it would be the Jaguars team bowing out and heading to LA. This latest development now has me concerned as a life long Bills fan. I think the Bills just moved up past Jacksonville on the LA franchise team targeting list.

jamze132
11-30-2011, 07:57 AM
There are panthers in the Everglades, which are a very close relative of- but not the same- as jaguars.

And the panthers are very rare. I saw a documentary about them and they said there are forest rangers who can work their whole careers in the Everglades and never even see one.
No. The female orgasm; that's the myth.

better days
11-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Well, Khan it is and Khan says the team stays in Jacksonville.

With the LA stadium set for an unveiling in 2016-2017, the Jaguars could still very well be a candidate if ticket sales fail to increase.

At this point in time the Jaguars are committed to the lease with Jacksonville until 2027. But as someone already mentioned there is the ability of opting out of the lease. However the fine for moving the team before 2027 could cost the owner tens of millions of dollars.

As a Bills fan this concerns me as the Bills lease is up in 2013. Considering the above, if Khan was inclined at moving the Jaguars, he would certianly have to wiegh the finacial negatives against the positives to determine the best course of action. Where as, Wilson, or any new owner (if something happens to Wilson, or he sells the team) would not have to weigh the same options.

I know Wilson has been trying to sign a 10 year extension with the county. The county is not concerned and thinks it has time to better settle on descisions. I beg to differ. If Wilson's health takes a turn for the worse next year and he passes, his benefactors may not be as gracious with negotiations forcing a sale to the highest bidder.

Based on past Jaguars ticket sales I was always of the impression it would be the Jaguars team bowing out and heading to LA. This latest development now has me concerned as a life long Bills fan. I think the Bills just moved up past Jacksonville on the LA franchise team targeting list.

Well, I don't see a jump in ticket sales in Jax & The Vikings seem to be having a problem getting a stadium deal as well. I heard on NFL Network it will only take $50 Mill to get out of the lease in Jax. I'm not concerned about the Bills moving.

Jaydog57
11-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Yeah, there's only about an estimated 30 panthers left in the wild. Every once in a great while someone will snag a pic of one, or even as rare as it is, one will get hit by a car.

As far as the Jags team, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Jeff Fisher coaching there soon. He's a pretty good coach and all of his experience comes coaching a team in the Jags division. He just seems like a good fit to me. :peace:

Night Train
11-30-2011, 01:44 PM
This new owner will realize he can make 4-5 times the $$ in LA and move in a second.

Weavers' word means nothing. He just stated 3 weeks ago he wasn't selling the team. The new guy hasn't said a thing and Jacksonville is a total failure of an NFL city.

k-oneputt
11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
They will be in LA by the 2013 season. Latest.