PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson proved once again why he isn't worth a big contract for #1 WR money

BillsFever21
11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
On top of the many passes he already drops he once again choked on a game winning catch when he was wide open just like last year against Pittsburgh. A #1 worthy WR catches them passes even if they do have some occasional drops every now and then. Both of them were wide open passes with the game on the line and he choked.

Outside of all that he also isn't a big play WR. He hardly gets any YAC. The majority of the time when he catches the ball he falls right down and hardly ever gets or fights for any yards afterwards. He's either close to laying on the ground when he catches it or after he does it seems like he goes down on his own with the defender around him going for the tackle. He should be fighting for them extra yards in them situations. He's a possession WR at best.

I would like to keep him around but only at the right price. I'd give him 5 or 6 million a year and that is it. If he's looking for a Lee Evans type of contract for 9+ million a year then let him walk. He would make a good #2 but he has proven he isn't good enough or a clutch WR to be paid #1 type money.

Among all the other needs of the Bills we really need a top flight #1 WR. AJ Green would've looked good on this team right now. He will be a Calvin Johnson type of WR. I guess it will depend on how Dareus pans out if that pick was worth it.

Looking back at the draft I would much rather have the Bengals first two draft picks. Dalton and Green should be a good combination for years to come. Dalton will be a good but not elite QB and Green will be an elite WR. He is already almost playing like one in his rookie season.

YardRat
11-29-2011, 09:03 PM
If you're going to offer Stevie 5 or 6 mil tops, get ready for him to walk and a slew of 'Ralph is cheap' threads.

BillsFever21
11-29-2011, 09:18 PM
If you're going to offer Stevie 5 or 6 mil tops, get ready for him to walk and a slew of 'Ralph is cheap' threads.

Then let him walk. He isn't a #1 WR and isn't worth #1 WR money. It's not worth paying a guy 9+ million a year who isn't worth the money. He definitely isn't worth more then 7 million a year.

He is worth the going rate of a Top 5 #2 WR or a Top 20 #1 WR. If he wants anymore then that then let him walk.

Good teams pay the right players what they are worth(Steelers, Packers, Patriots, etc) and let the average ones who want more then they are worth leave for more money if they choose to.

The difference between us and them teams are that they are able to actually draft good players to replace them if not already have a backup plan ready to step in. The Bills aren't and always screw up their draft picks.

A great example is Santonio Holmes. He was a great player with the Steelers but they didn't like his attitude and didn't think he would be worth 9+ million a season so they traded him and they had somebody to step right in and do even better. At best he is just under the level of Holmes. Holmes is more of a playmaker and has proven to make clutch catches unlike Johnson who also drops a lot of passes on top of it. That would put him in the 6 million dollar range or 7 at the very most. Not a dime more then that.

He is a worthy player to keep around but not for top money. His value is a #1 WR on a bad team like the Bills or a #2 WR on a playoff contending team. There's a difference from keeping players around and paying them big money because they are worth it then just keeping them around because you feel there is no other choice. A perfect example is Chris Kelsay and even Lee Evans to an extent. At least Evans had a couple great seasons, had good hands and was a playmaker when he got the money.

If we were a playoff contender then he might be worth paying a little extra for. Since he isn't a top #1 WR and we are far from a playoff team he isn't worth 9+ million a year.

BillsFever21
11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Too many Bills fans have the tendency to think just because the player is a starter on the Bills then that is the money they are worth. On a good team Johnson would be a #2 along with many other of our starters.

Just because they are starters on the Bills doesn't mean they are starting players on most other teams. If so then we wouldn't be as bad as we have been for years. There is a reason why we are a losing team every year and a laughing stock of the NFL.

Johnson just doesn't have the hands, mental control/stability, big play ability or a track record of being a clutch player to pay him Top 10 or so WR money.

The Jokeman
11-29-2011, 10:12 PM
FYI Steve has a higher % catch rate than other top rated receives like Roddy White, Calvin "Megatron" Johnson and just under 1% below Brandon Marshall. He's also better than Dwayne Bowe for what it's worth:

http://boston.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=9001
http://boston.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7203
http://boston.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8256
http://boston.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7868
http://boston.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8277

So I'm curious if we let Stevie go, who do you all propose we can bring in that will be any better?

EDIT: Added Dwayne Bowe.

BertSquirtgum
11-29-2011, 10:53 PM
I think they will franchise him and then work out a deal.

ServoBillieves
11-29-2011, 11:05 PM
And if we drafted Green Dareus sould've looked good now. There is honestly no winning with Bills fans. Top flight D-lineman?! shoulda gone WR!

BertSquirtgum
11-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Bills will be drafting Michael Floyd and Steve will be the #2 so I wouldn't pay more than 7-8 million for him. He himself said he knows he isn't worth top money.

Pinkerton Security
11-30-2011, 07:01 AM
uh Stevie might not be a top 10 WR in the NFL but hes very talented. He has some drops, yes, but you people are ridiculous...do you think Donald Jones would have gotten ANY catches against Revis? Bc i dont.

Do you want our WR corps to have David Nelson or Donald Jones as our #1 and #2 next year? That thought sickens me, so I hope your answer is no. Stevie is a legit WR, case closed.

Also, why are you so concerned about the money? The Bills have oodles of cap space, so whats the big deal?

Extremebillsfan247
11-30-2011, 07:13 AM
So, then sign him to #2 receiver money and get a #1 or at least a receiver to compete with him so he knows his job isn't safe. Once someone with a big attitude realizes there's someone waiting to take his job, it changes the dynamic. JMO

jamze132
11-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Stevie's issues can be fixed. He just needs the right person to get inside his head.

OpIv37
11-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Do you want our WR corps to have David Nelson or Donald Jones as our #1 and #2 next year? That thought sickens me, so I hope your answer is no. Stevie is a legit WR, case closed.

False dichotomy argument. Stevie, Nelson and Jones are NOT the only options out there. It's up to the FO to do better.

ZEUS
11-30-2011, 08:29 AM
They should cut him and cut Fred too while they're at it.

Pinkerton Security
11-30-2011, 08:32 AM
False dichotomy argument. Stevie, Nelson and Jones are NOT the only options out there. It's up to the FO to do better.

And you have so much faith in our FO that they'll bring in someone better than Stevie? Come on man. If Stevie walks without a contract we will simply fill from within, havent we learned that already?

Lone Stranger
11-30-2011, 08:36 AM
A perplexing situation. Bills' Fever is correct in his comments, in general. However, we have little if Stevie wanders(sic). From what I gather he is looking at #1 $ yet he does not warrant that $.

I think the $6-7 million is reasonable. I think the guy has a big ego and wants a lot more. Somebody in the Bills organization has to do a good selling job.

If we had someone else I wouldn't mind him walking but we don't.

trapezeus
11-30-2011, 08:41 AM
is stevie a number 1 WR? No

Will the bills have to overpay? Yes.

This need for wanting superstars everywhere or nothing is absurd. The guy is a piece to the puzzle. would he be aided by having a stud receiver? Yes. Would hte stud receiver be even more dangerous with a number 2 who can line up with revis and win that battle all day? Yes.

Pay him 5-10mm a year. and dont let that be an excuse to sit on the remaining money. the bills need to get better. not want a superstar and if he isn't perfect to let him go and develop someone else.

Mski
11-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Stevies lack of YAC has less to do with him, and more to do with the incredible inacuracy of the QB... If Fitz is throwing the ball at his ankles and behind him more times then not, and if its not low its too high, how is he supposed to stay on his feet and keep running?

yes the drop over the middle is on Stevie, although that wasnt a good spot for the ball either, but it hit him square on the hands... no excuses for that

Mski
11-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Also, if he isnt a true #1 reciever.... how is it he holds the 2 best games by a reciever against Revis, arguably the best CB in the league.

OpIv37
11-30-2011, 08:49 AM
And you have so much faith in our FO that they'll bring in someone better than Stevie? Come on man. If Stevie walks without a contract we will simply fill from within, havent we learned that already?

No, I don't have faith in them. I'm simply saying that's what they SHOULD do because that's what the teams that win do. I don't actually think it will happen.

justasportsfan
11-30-2011, 09:29 AM
We're not any better with Evans gone and we wont be better with Stevie gone. Either bring in a high draft pick or bring in a proven wr opposite Stevie.

trapezeus
11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
exactly. Stevie can play. he isn't a sure handed reliable guy. he has two legendary drops.

The bills need to add. the addition by subtraction is now over with whitner gone. If you aren't replacing players with studs, then don't let average to above average players leave and pretend like you'll find another one.

This team was good for 6 weeks. the bills first loss to thejets was the efirst blow out loss and that was more a factor of line injuries and refing. the first just out matched game was the cowboys and then miami. they were back in the game against the jets.

They are building whether it feels like it or not. to scrap everything and want to start over is a bad move in my opinion.

DesertFox24
11-30-2011, 11:46 AM
You guys are crazy.

All you need to do is look at Revis' stats versus other WRs and you will see that Stevie is a numbe 1 and could very well become one of the top 5 wrs in the game. The guy is only 25 years old.

Johnson has had more yards and catches vs Revis in a two game span than any other WR since Revis was in his second year.

You guys always talk about letting guys go and Ralph being cheap and not signing FA, and then always mention how we never should have let guys like Pat Williams Winfield, Fletcher go. Yet if you go back in time you guys all say they are not worth the money. Hate to break it to you guys in order to keep home grown talent and stop the rinse and repeat cycle we have been in we have to pay to keep our guys and might have to overpay.

However, here is the great thing. By 2013 Ralph has to spend up to 92% of the cap, so he has no choice but to spend.

Hopefully Nix will keep his word and keep productive players in Buffalo.

Stevie, Chandler, Urbik, and Pears are must keeps in my opinion. We need to draft more defense and depth players this year, and hopefully sign one starter on Defense.

trapezeus
11-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Desertfox nailed it.

although i would say we need possibly 3 starters on D. A DE, a OLB and a corner.

On the offensive side, we just need more bodies on the OL who are capable to back up the starters in the position they specialize in. no more moving centers to guard and guards to Tackle. especially no more moving starters to other positions. it's crazy to have a LT issue and move levitre to LT where he's a lesser LT and have a lesser guard replace levitre.

Skill position, i think we are set unless there is a can't miss QB, WR out there. i do think we need to stay away from RB's for a while now. Build that line and freddie, CJ and a bigger back should be fine.

OpIv37
11-30-2011, 11:52 AM
You guys are crazy.

All you need to do is look at Revis' stats versus other WRs and you will see that Stevie is a numbe 1 and could very well become one of the top 5 wrs in the game. The guy is only 25 years old.

Johnson has had more yards and catches vs Revis in a two game span than any other WR since Revis was in his second year.

You guys always talk about letting guys go and Ralph being cheap and not signing FA, and then always mention how we never should have let guys like Pat Williams Winfield, Fletcher go. Yet if you go back in time you guys all say they are not worth the money. Hate to break it to you guys in order to keep home grown talent and stop the rinse and repeat cycle we have been in we have to pay to keep our guys and might have to overpay.

However, here is the great thing. By 2013 Ralph has to spend up to 92% of the cap, so he has no choice but to spend.

Hopefully Nix will keep his word and keep productive players in Buffalo.

Stevie, Chandler, Urbik, and Pears are must keeps in my opinion. We need to draft more defense and depth players this year, and hopefully sign one starter on Defense.

Two games against Revis proves nothing. It's way too small of a sample size. And Stevie is no Williams, Fletcher or Winfield. Those guys all had proven themselves on the field when it was time for their big contracts. Stevie has not, unless you have accepted mediocrity and think that two good games against Revis means he's "proven."

I am not advocating getting rid of Stevie necessarily, but if we give this guy a big contract, we will regret it.

mrbojanglezs
11-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Then let him walk. He isn't a #1 WR and isn't worth #1 WR money. It's not worth paying a guy 9+ million a year who isn't worth the money. He definitely isn't worth more then 7 million a year.

He is worth the going rate of a Top 5 #2 WR or a Top 20 #1 WR. If he wants anymore then that then let him walk.

Good teams pay the right players what they are worth(Steelers, Packers, Patriots, etc) and let the average ones who want more then they are worth leave for more money if they choose to.

The difference between us and them teams are that they are able to actually draft good players to replace them if not already have a backup plan ready to step in. The Bills aren't and always screw up their draft picks.

A great example is Santonio Holmes. He was a great player with the Steelers but they didn't like his attitude and didn't think he would be worth 9+ million a season so they traded him and they had somebody to step right in and do even better. At best he is just under the level of Holmes. Holmes is more of a playmaker and has proven to make clutch catches unlike Johnson who also drops a lot of passes on top of it. That would put him in the 6 million dollar range or 7 at the very most. Not a dime more then that.

He is a worthy player to keep around but not for top money. His value is a #1 WR on a bad team like the Bills or a #2 WR on a playoff contending team. There's a difference from keeping players around and paying them big money because they are worth it then just keeping them around because you feel there is no other choice. A perfect example is Chris Kelsay and even Lee Evans to an extent. At least Evans had a couple great seasons, had good hands and was a playmaker when he got the money.

If we were a playoff contender then he might be worth paying a little extra for. Since he isn't a top #1 WR and we are far from a playoff team he isn't worth 9+ million a year.

I agree 100% 7 million per year with a nice signing bonus is as much as I would like to see.

This isn't the jauron era anymore, gailey has done a really great job getting production out of his WRs if stevie got more than elsewhere I would let him walk and get a stud WR in the draft if possible like an AJ Green

If you can keep Stevie for under 7 million and get another AJ Green type receiver in the draft then thats ideal

I just don't see Stevie being a solid nubmer 1 receiver worth 9+ million

It would be a mistake I believe but then again its not my money.....

BertSquirtgum
11-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Michael Floyd in 2012.

justasportsfan
11-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Stevie is NOT a proven no.1. With that said we still keep him.

The Jokeman
11-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Stevie is NOT a proven no.1. With that said we still keep him.
We better or then we'll need 2 starting WRs this offseason.

better days
11-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Two games against Revis proves nothing. It's way too small of a sample size. And Stevie is no Williams, Fletcher or Winfield. Those guys all had proven themselves on the field when it was time for their big contracts. Stevie has not, unless you have accepted mediocrity and think that two good games against Revis means he's "proven."

I am not advocating getting rid of Stevie necessarily, but if we give this guy a big contract, we will regret it.

Well, for an even comparison, take any two games by any other WR against Revis & see how Stevie matches up. I will bet he matches up well.

Figster
11-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Myself personally, I for one was starting to get pretty down on SJ (and Fitz) until his last performance against Revis. Fitz/ SJ when clicking properly is a very hard combo to defend and I can't help but wonder what another Elite receiver would do for the Bills Offense.

The Jokeman
11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Myself personally, I for one was starting to get pretty down on SJ (and Fitz) until his last performance against Revis. Fitz/ SJ when clicking properly is a very hard combo to defend and I can't help but wonder what another Elite receiver would do for the Bills Offense.
Or if we can't land an elite receiver get an elite TE like Jermichael Finley who's an UFA this offseason.

better days
11-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Or if we can't land an elite receiver get an elite TE like Jermichael Finley who's an UFA this offseason.

I doubt either happen. My hope is that Easley STAYS healthy next year & becomes a great compliment to Stevie.

Figster
11-30-2011, 01:16 PM
I doubt either happen. My hope is that Easley STAYS healthy next year & becomes a great compliment to Stevie.

I keep hearing rumors its over for Marcus Easley(football career), is it all speculation or does anyone actually know whats up wth this guy?

Figster
11-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Along with the up and coming Scott Chandler that would sure but a grin from ear to ear on my face as far as the TE position is concernd. Good TE's to work the middle of the Football field are an essential ingredient for a productive NFL Offense in my opinion, without them the K-Gun never would have happened,

Mercy! You get me excited just thinking about it!

DesertFox24
11-30-2011, 02:09 PM

80 plus catches 1000+ yards and 10 TDs last year, that coupled with this year is enough for me to PAY DA MAN as Deion would say.

I love you guys ***** about we do not have any stars and then complain about the ones we have and say they are not worth dung.

Beebe
11-30-2011, 11:50 PM
So with that drop, who will we draft so he can say he did it for that player,and when you wear that BILLS UNIFORM you represent all the BILLS fan's so when you drop the possible game winning ball and you had a penalty that gave them 7 points and momentum not only do you have to give a good excuse, so do we when other fans from other teams tell us the next day at work "what happen" and yet this is your 3rd fine in 2 years. I still think we should keep him it's some thing different for our team.
JUST GET IT RIGHT:father:

kingJofNYC
12-01-2011, 07:13 AM
If we don't resign him in the offseason OpIv will be here telling everyone that he should've been traded before the start of the '11 season, because there wasn't a reason to keep him on the roster if the front office wasn't going to resign him in '12.

He may not be a star number one but he's a good receiver and we don't have many to begin with. Sign him to a reasonable to deal.

OpIv37
12-01-2011, 08:27 AM
If we don't resign him in the offseason OpIv will be here telling everyone that he should've been traded before the start of the '11 season, because there wasn't a reason to keep him on the roster if the front office wasn't going to resign him in '12.

He may not be a star number one but he's a good receiver and we don't have many to begin with. Sign him to a reasonable to deal.

Once again, you're making up a hypothetical situation then taking a guess at how I would reacted, and using your guess at my reaction to a situation that never occurred to make your argument. That's absolutely absurd.

And for the record, I wouldn't say anything that stupid because the trade deadline has long since passed, so they couldn't trade him if they wanted to.

And once again, it's not about me. It's about winning football games. Stevie's good, but not great, and he's at his worst when it counts the most. He didn't do what it took to win the game on Sunday. It's as simple as that.

kingJofNYC
12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
No, of course you wouldn't advise trading him now, but you would make the same argument like you did with Whitner and Poz, or have you forgotten your post from earlier in the year?

You kept wondering why they were kept on the roster when they weren't going to be resigned in the offseason, did you forget those absurd posts?

OpIv37
12-01-2011, 09:30 AM
No, of course you wouldn't advise trading him now, but you would make the same argument like you did with Whitner and Poz, or have you forgotten your post from earlier in the year?

You kept wondering why they were kept on the roster when they weren't going to be resigned in the offseason, did you forget those absurd posts?

Those posts have nothing to do with Stevie, but if you insist on discussing them, they weren't absurd at all.

Poz should have been traded the moment we switched to a 3-4. Clearly, he's more comfortable in the 4-3, and clearly other teams perceive him as having value in the 4-3, so it's quite possible that he could have been traded before last season. Instead, we got 1 year of mediocre play then NOTHING when he walked.

In the case of Whitner, the guy is a headcase and it was obvious that he was going to want more than the team was willing to pay for him. I would have traded him for a sack of potatoes because, again, a sack of potatoes is worth more than the NOTHING we got for him.

kingJofNYC
12-01-2011, 09:37 AM
I can see the post already, Stevie was a "head case" should've traded him before the '11 season started. Get something while his stock was high!

Too easy.

OpIv37
12-01-2011, 09:38 AM
I can see the post already, Stevie was a "head case" should've traded him before the '11 season started. Get something while his stock was high!

Too easy.

once again, creating a hypothetical situation and guessing how I would have reacted. That's not an argument- it's just conjecture. And the fact that you made it about me instead of addressing the points I made shows you have no legitimate response.

kingJofNYC
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Here's a legit response.

Stevie needs to be resigned, probably looking at 2nd tier WR money, 7m per. Get it done. Nuff said.

QQ more.

better days
12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Here's a legit response.

Stevie needs to be resigned, probably looking at 2nd tier WR money, 7m per. Get it done. Nuff said.

QQ more.

I'm not sure how much it will take to sign Stevie, but I know it will be much more than the last contract Evans signed with the Bills.

kingJofNYC
12-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure how much it will take to sign Stevie, but I know it will be much more than the last contract Evans signed with the Bills.

I used Boldin as the benchmark, deal he signed last year is 28 for 4 years. Steve is young but hasn't had Boldin's production. Should be around 7m for Steve.

User Manuel
12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
You're right, he tore up the best CB in football. He did drop the ball. Thasnk god no one else who was a number 1 dropped the ball...well, except for T.O....etc...

BuffaloSoldier
12-01-2011, 04:32 PM
We are not going to get another big name free agent WR or get them through a trade. Many WR aren't interested in going to Buffalo and a lot of the bigger market teams have a better shot. I would sign Stevie long term with big money because he's one of the most talented WR in the league and has all the potential in the world.