PDA

View Full Version : Letting Stevie walk would only add to Bills' dysfunction

YardRat
12-04-2011, 09:08 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article659133.ece

I believe it's in the Bills' best interests to sign Johnson, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, to a long-term contract extension. Yes, he needs to grow up. He needs to hold onto the ball in the critical moments. But he's one of their best players, and you don't become a contender by letting those guys walk.

This isn't to say they should overpay. Johnson isn't an elite receiver, one of the NFL's top 10 wideouts. He's not much of a deep threat. There are 31 NFL wide receivers with at least 600 yards receiving this season. His average per catch (11.5 yards) is the lowest among all of them.

So Johnson is essentially a great possession receiver who wants to be paid like a elite wideout. But in the context of Chan Gailey's offense, which employs a lot of multi-receiver sets and puts a premium on short, accurate throws, Johnson is a valuable asset, a guy with a gift for getting open in short, tight spaces.

Figster
12-04-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article659133.ece

I believe it's in the Bills' best interests to sign Johnson, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, to a long-term contract extension. Yes, he needs to grow up. He needs to hold onto the ball in the critical moments. But he's one of their best players, and you don't become a contender by letting those guys walk.

This isn't to say they should overpay. Johnson isn't an elite receiver, one of the NFL's top 10 wideouts. He's not much of a deep threat. There are 31 NFL wide receivers with at least 600 yards receiving this season. His average per catch (11.5 yards) is the lowest among all of them.

So Johnson is essentially a great possession receiver who wants to be paid like a elite wideout. But in the context of Chan Gailey's offense, which employs a lot of multi-receiver sets and puts a premium on short, accurate throws, Johnson is a valuable asset, a guy with a gift for getting open in short, tight spaces.

Fitzpatrick is not the most accurate of QB's and its very possible SJ would be much more productive with a better #2 / supporting cast.

Mr Bills
12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
If OBD replaces Stevie with guys like Pierre Garcon or Mario Manningham, I will puke.

YardRat
12-04-2011, 10:42 AM
I think he walks.

The team is going to be looking at 7-9mil per, and I'm betting Stevie and his agent are in the 10 to 12mil range.

Can't wait for a fresh round of 'cheap bastard' threads.

Luisito23
12-04-2011, 10:49 AM
His agent is crazy if he thinks he can get Stevie 10 to 12 mil.

No team is that stupid.

JohnnyGold
12-04-2011, 10:52 AM
we HAVE to spend to the cap next year, and are very far under it.

it's almost to the point mods should move threads about stevie and jacksons contracts to off topic.

they are both getting resigned, and both for a lot of money, possibly above what is current "market value."

end of discussion.

YardRat
12-04-2011, 10:58 AM
we HAVE to spend to the cap next year, and are very far under it.

it's almost to the point mods should move threads about stevie and jacksons contracts to off topic.

they are both getting resigned, and both for a lot of money, possibly above what is current "market value."

end of discussion.

So, exactly how far under the cap is the team at the moment?