• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Could Stevie run an out route?

Going rate for receivers of Johnson's caliber is about $8 million

All the national attention Stevie Johnson attracted last week for his touchdown celebration penalty obscured one fact: He's getting a pot of gold before next season.

Johnson has done enough this year to ensure that some team, if not the Bills, is going to pay big money for his services. The fact the Bills have yet to reach a deal on a contract extension with him means the Bills have missed any window they might have had to re-sign him for slightly under market value.

The time to get him at under market value was August or September, or maybe even immediately after quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick signed his contract extension on Oct. 29. Early in the season, a player in his contract year still has some motivation to strike an under-market deal, because he's getting security in the event of a serious injury during the season.

With only five games remaining starting with today's meeting with the Tennessee Titans at Ralph Wilson Stadium, the finish line of the season is in sight. Any player who makes it through four NFL seasons healthy and in the prime of his career owes it to himself to either hit the free-agent market or get true, fair-market value for his services.

Does that mean Johnson is gone?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • BUFF Bills
    • Feb 2009

Re: Could Stevie run an out route?

no chance in hell... we gave him his chance, and groomed him into the baller he is today. he seems humble enough to recognize that, and reward buffalo by re-signing him.

Comment

• jimmacie
      • Dec 2008

Are you kidding? You think he'll be loyal and sign with us if he can get more money elsewhere - especially in a bigger market where he can become a media celebrity by preening on the field and spouting off online and to the
      press? I think he wants to be the next T.O.

I remember talking with Stevie at his first training camp in Pittsford. He was a shy, soft-spoken young man. No more. It shows how a degree of fame and wealth can change a young person very quickly into an attention-seeking hot-dog. (At least today, when he scored, he handed the ball to the ref. Maybe he is maturing and there is hope for him in the future even though it will probably be with another team.)

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jimmacie
        Are you kidding? You think he'll be loyal and sign with us if he can get more money elsewhere - especially in a bigger market where he can become a media celebrity by preening on the field and spouting off online and to the
        press? I think he wants to be the next T.O.

I remember talking with Stevie at his first training camp in Pittsford. He was a shy, soft-spoken young man. No more. It shows how a degree of fame and wealth can change a young person very quickly into an attention-seeking hot-dog. (At least today, when he scored, he handed the ball to the ref. Maybe he is maturing and there is hope for him in the future even though it will probably be with another team.)
        it seemed to me his handing the ball to the ref was laced with sarcasm. maybe i'm over analyzing, but that's how it looked to me
        I came.
        I saw.
        I conquered.

Comment

• BillsFever21
          • Aug 2004

That sounds right around the neighborhood. I could see 7 million a season tops. Some people on here is willing to give him 10+ million a year.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍