PDA

View Full Version : LB, CB, WR

X-Era
12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Thats what I'd be after.

Kelvin Sheppard continues to do little to impress me. I think he may only end up being a solid backup in this league. Put it this way, nothing in his game so far tells me we have found the answer for our need for a starting ILB. Vontaze Burfict or Luke Kuechly would be possibilities around the 15 pick. The LB corp needs quick, strong, playmakers who find the ball fast and hit like a truck.

Pass rushing OLB is a big need already. Courtney Upshaw would be a great pickup in the mid-1st. We are desperate for a pass rusher who can also play against the run. Upshaw fits the Bill.

At CB, McGee is about done, Florence gets too many penalties and is best suited to play underneath. Rogers is playing well and Williams has potential but thats not enough. Dre Kirkpatrick may be available at around the 15 spot.

It will be interesting to see if we keep Stevie. Even if we do, Parrish may not be resigned, Easley may be done for good, and Nelson belongs in the slot. WR is a big need. Blackmon may not drop out of the top 10, and we may not pick that high. He'd be ideal IMO. After that, I'd like guys like Ryan Broyles (assuming he can come back from the ACL), Marquis Maze, but maybe Michael Floyd in the 1st.

One area that may not be addressed is OT. As I said weeks ago, when Bell became healthy, Hairston will still start at LT. The Bills like Hairston at LT and I think they let Bell leave and start him there long term. The OL overall is good as far as starters, depth could still use help.

I also don't see DL being much of a possibility, DE, DT, and NT are all set so unless we go after a rusher, I think we may not take anyone early.

One thing to watch for would be a mid to late round QB as a backup. I'd love Weeden but his stock is on the rise.

Really, ILB, OLB, CB, and WR are the priorities IMO.

Ed
12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
LB is the biggest need by far to me. I could see our first two picks being a LB and CB.

DraftBoy
12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
We need at held at nearly every position whether that be as a starter or depth. This FO has not done a good job addressing our depth issues.

YardRat
12-04-2011, 02:36 PM
LBer, CB and WR...no special order, just take the BPA in any of those when our turn comes around.

Luisito23
12-04-2011, 02:41 PM
You forgot QB.

ServoBillieves
12-04-2011, 03:08 PM
With all the injuries, I have no clue what this team truly needs other than depth-wise. All we know is our backups are decent enough to play in the NFL, but what about our starters?

bf1
12-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Forgot DE.

Buddo
12-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I think you're wrong about Sheppard. It looked to me today, as though he was in on a lot of the better plays the D had. It's called making progress, and I feel that that's what he's doing.
No argument about OLB who can pass rush, and actually beat his man occasionally on a 1 to 1.
I think Rogers and Williams are very promising. Florence will still be here, and maybe McGee also, depending on injury. Not sure about McKelvin, but I think if Williams and Rogers continue to progress, we aren't so badly off at CB as it might have seemed through the first part of the season.
TBH, I think it could well be a toss-up as to our biggest need being between OLB and WR.
We need another quality WR, without a shadow of a doubt. I consider Jones to be depth, tbh. Parrish may not be completely done, but he's hardly available these days, so should also only be depth.
By the looks of things today, our TE group isn't that bad. I like Chandler, and both the other guys look like they can make a play or two. They aren't a Gates or Hernandez, but they aren't required to be in our current offense.
Depth is still a problem, especially on the O-Line. Not only may we need another OT, but we could do with seriously looking at Center. Letting Hangman go to save money, was a mistake that doesn't need to be repeated. We need a genuine backup Center/Guard, as having your starters do it, is actually asking for trouble.
I think we could, and should, go either WR or OLB with our 1st round pick for the next draft, as it's where we need a playmaker the most.

tampabay25690
12-04-2011, 08:43 PM
I agree with everything besides Shepperd.
Thats silly.

Shepperd is improving week after week.

BillsFever21
12-04-2011, 10:12 PM
The talk went from a playoff appearance or maybe winning the division to the 2012 draft all within a month. At least it took this long before the only thing we had to look forward to was the draft so we can grab some more players that never end up any good.

DesertFox24
12-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Look David Harris did not light the world on fire his rookie year. Lets give the guy some time, he did not lead the SEC in tackling for 2 or 3 years because he sucks.

I do agree though that we will need some more ILBs because Barnett is getting older and three of our backups are on expiring contracts.

A guy I really like is Sean Spence out of Miami he could be the heir apparent to Nick Barnett and would a demon on special teams for the 12 and 13 seasons.

DraftBoy
12-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Look David Harris did not light the world on fire his rookie year. Lets give the guy some time, he did not lead the SEC in tackling for 2 or 3 years because he sucks.

I do agree though that we will need some more ILBs because Barnett is getting older and three of our backups are on expiring contracts.

A guy I really like is Sean Spence out of Miami he could be the heir apparent to Nick Barnett and would a demon on special teams for the 12 and 13 seasons.

I dont see Spence as any more than a Cover 2 LB in a 43. Too small for our system imo.

DesertFox24
12-05-2011, 07:06 AM
I dont see Spence as any more than a Cover 2 LB in a 43. Too small for our system imo.

Oh he is small now but he is 5'11 and 225. He could probably bulk up to 235 in 2 years with us and not lose any of his speed.

Also I don't want to make comparison to Ray Lewis but he was told he was to small as well.

My point is this if the guy can play, which I think he can, why not take a chance.

I would only take him in the mid second to mid third, but like you said some cover 2 team will probably take him before our second pick anyway.

I think he is a good player though.

Kuechly is a more athletic Poz, and is going to be a beast.

I love Shep but I would have no issue with us taking Kuechly. I am a firm believe in drafting Best Player Available regardless of position.

I also am becoming a fan of Mike Floyd and would like that pick as well.

Floyd, Johnson, Nelson, Smith, Jones could be one nasty WR corps for our spread attack.

DraftBoy
12-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Oh he is small now but he is 5'11 and 225. He could probably bulk up to 235 in 2 years with us and not lose any of his speed.

Also I don't want to make comparison to Ray Lewis but he was told he was to small as well.

My point is this if the guy can play, which I think he can, why not take a chance.

I would only take him in the mid second to mid third, but like you said some cover 2 team will probably take him before our second pick anyway.

I think he is a good player though.

Kuechly is a more athletic Poz, and is going to be a beast.

I love Shep but I would have no issue with us taking Kuechly. I am a firm believe in drafting Best Player Available regardless of position.

I also am becoming a fan of Mike Floyd and would like that pick as well.

Floyd, Johnson, Nelson, Smith, Jones could be one nasty WR corps for our spread attack.
Yes but Spencer is an OLB who hasn't shown the versatility a guy like Harvey showed us last year.

Im pretty sure Lewis played inside and outside at Miami as well which spoke to his versatility.

Moving Spence inside doesn't make much sense to me. He already really struggles to fight off blocks.

DesertFox24
12-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Yes but Spencer is an OLB who hasn't shown the versatility a guy like Harvey showed us last year.

Im pretty sure Lewis played inside and outside at Miami as well which spoke to his versatility.

Moving Spence inside doesn't make much sense to me. He already really struggles to fight off blocks.

Good points. I thought Spence played ILB his freshman year, but I could be wrong.

I agree he could be a stud for a cover 2 team as a WILL, but I hope NIx explores him as a possible ILB and look to see if could work.

We need another strong draft to get key depth and some OLBs that can replace Spencer Johnson.

Lone Stranger
12-05-2011, 07:46 AM
The talk went from a playoff appearance or maybe winning the division to the 2012 draft all within a month. At least it took this long before the only thing we had to look forward to was the draft so we can grab some more players that never end up any good.

I agree completely. You have said it all.

DBrown77
12-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Sheppard shouldnt be starting yet, but you cant write him off as a career backup. He has barely played 3/4 a season.

X-Era
12-05-2011, 10:19 AM
I agree with everything besides Shepperd.
Thats silly.

Shepperd is improving week after week.You know I wasn't a fan when he played at LSU. But the reasoning is that he's slow to diagnose and react, overpursues too much, is often late to the ball, and doesn't make enough plays for me. Nothing he's done so far shows me he's getting much better. You get about one token play from him each game but he's silent pretty much the rest of it.

At that spot we need a snot knocker who finds the ball fast and makes plays in the hole.

justasportsfan
12-05-2011, 10:24 AM
We need at held at nearly every position whether that be as a starter or depth. This FO has not done a good job addressing our depth issues.

actually they have depth. Problem is they made the depth players into starters. What we need are proven players in front of the guys we have starting.

DraftBoy
12-05-2011, 10:36 AM
actually they have depth. Problem is they made the depth players into starters. What we need are proven players in front of the guys we have starting.

No those "depth" players have proven they shouldn't even be that. Simply having bodies is not the same as having depth.

The Jokeman
12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Sheppard shouldnt be starting yet, but you cant write him off as a career backup. He has barely played 3/4 a season.
But if you read some pre draft publications on Shepperd he was forecast by some of them to be nothing more than a depth LB. That said I'll give him a chance to prove them wrong. The Bills have many needs but the biggest is a game changing/dynamic pass rushing OLB. I hope we draft someone early and bring in a guy like John Abraham in UFA (for use on 3rd downs) next year to help fill that void. I'm also not a big Chandler fan so love to grab an UFA like JerMichael Finley at TE too.

Ed
12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Well at least Sheppard is getting some valuable experience. Also, keep in mind that we had a short off-season and he missed a lot of training camp with a hamstring injury. It's my understanding that he's being asked to make all the defensive pre-snap calls right now, so he may be a little overwhelmed, which could be contributing to any mistakes he's making. I like his size and speed, and I've heard he's a smart player. So a full off-season of work and getting Kyle Williams back in front of him a long with Dareus could do him a lot of good.

Barnett is getting older though, and we don't seem to have much talented depth, so I'd be ok with getting another ILB in the first four rounds.

The Jokeman
12-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Well at least Sheppard is getting some valuable experience. Also, keep in mind that we had a short off-season and he missed a lot of training camp with a hamstring injury. It's my understanding that he's being asked to make all the defensive pre-snap calls right now, so he may be a little overwhelmed, which could be contributing to any mistakes he's making. I like his size and speed, and I've heard he's a smart player. So a full off-season of work and getting Kyle Williams back in front of him a long with Dareus could do him a lot of good.

Barnett is getting older though, and we don't seem to have much talented depth, so I'd be ok with getting another ILB in the first four rounds.
Kyle Williams will never be a true NT in a 3-4 so I don't think it's wise to keep playing this D when he does get healthy. The problem then would be with Shepperd who isn't a guy who could man the middle by himself in a 4-3. In other words we have the wrong personnel in whichever D we chose to go with thought it appears we have more 3-4 type guys in Edwards and Dareus at DE and Shepperd and Barnett at ILB. Yet as Draftboy's eluded too before our CBs are not 3-4 types and I feel were not getting the best out of Bryd at FS in a 3-4 either.

Ed
12-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Kyle Williams will never be a true NT in a 3-4 so I don't think it's wise to keep playing this D when he does get healthy. The problem then would be with Shepperd who isn't a guy who could man the middle by himself in a 4-3. In other words we have the wrong personnel in whichever D we chose to go with thought it appears we have more 3-4 type guys in Edwards and Dareus at DE and Shepperd and Barnett at ILB. Yet as Draftboy's eluded too before our CBs are not 3-4 types and I feel were not getting the best out of Bryd at FS in a 3-4 either.
I wasn't implying that Kyle Williams would be playing NT. I actually would rather see him at DE and ideally have Troup step up and become something at NT, or get another NT through FA or the draft. I don't see why Sheppard couldn't play MLB in a 4-3. I'm pretty sure that's what he played at LSU.

X-Era
12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
No those "depth" players have proven they shouldn't even be that. Simply having bodies is not the same as having depth.I agree.

tampabay25690
12-06-2011, 08:10 PM
You know I wasn't a fan when he played at LSU. But the reasoning is that he's slow to diagnose and react, overpursues too much, is often late to the ball, and doesn't make enough plays for me. Nothing he's done so far shows me he's getting much better. You get about one token play from him each game but he's silent pretty much the rest of it.

At that spot we need a snot knocker who finds the ball fast and makes plays in the hole.

I guess me and you are seeing different players.

ddaryl
12-07-2011, 09:41 AM
T
I also don't see DL being much of a possibility, DE, DT, and NT are all set so unless we go after a rusher, I think we may not take anyone early.

DE is a HUGE priority HUGE.. We need speed at the DE position

DraftBoy
12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
DE is a HUGE priority HUGE.. We need speed at the DE position

No we need speed at OLB, at DE we need power and technical skills.

tampabay25690
12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
No we need speed at OLB, at DE we need power and technical skills.

We need seriuos help on the outside....

TigerJ
12-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I think OLB is probably a bit higher priority than ILB, but those are probably the top 4 needs.

Extremebillsfan247
12-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Burfict would be a great pick in my opinion.

DraftBoy
12-07-2011, 01:54 PM
We need seriuos help on the outside....

No doubt but Id argue we need help all over as well.

dannyek71
12-07-2011, 02:23 PM
We also need QB, RB & LT

djjimkelly
12-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Thats what I'd be after.

Kelvin Sheppard continues to do little to impress me. I think he may only end up being a solid backup in this league. Put it this way, nothing in his game so far tells me we have found the answer for our need for a starting ILB. Vontaze Burfict or Luke Kuechly would be possibilities around the 15 pick. The LB corp needs quick, strong, playmakers who find the ball fast and hit like a truck.

i think sheppard is gonna be all right u can see hes still thinking instead of reacting right now

if 4-5 games in next season he still looks like he does ill be concerned

however right now i think hes getting adjusted hes flashed enough to me so far that id roll with next year and worry about OLB as the top priority for our LB corps