PDA

View Full Version : Fitz just isn't gonna work.

Mr. Cynical
12-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm sorry but he's too streaky and just hasn't stepped up enough to justify that monster contract. For that kind of money he should be carrying the team on his shoulders. All he's done is play average at best, and is playing more bad than good.

Feels a similar RJ move. Big $ on too little performance history.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Have to agree. For that kind of money a QB needs to make all the throws and Fitz can't make all the throws.

Novacane
12-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Still can't understand why they had to do that contract when they did!

TacklingDummy
12-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Not sure why they didn't wait until end of season to work on contract. He's not Tom Brady.

mikemac2001
12-04-2011, 02:34 PM
we can always cut our losses ....he is also iffy in bad weather

Mr. Cynical
12-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Typical poor FO management by the Bills. They got nervous he would ask for more money given his early season streak, so they overpaid too early. Anyone with any football savvy would have known that he hasn't even played a full season as a starter so there wasn't enough history to deserve a $59M contract. I just hope it was structured in such a way that they can still go after a franchise QB and re-structure it to one he deserves (like half that amount)

BertSquirtgum
12-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I've been saying this since the day I heard the bad news. Horrible decision on the Bills' behalf.

trapezeus
12-04-2011, 02:38 PM
i still think it's the right move. the bills need a fitz type qb who understands the x's and o's to teach a guy with the raw ability.

i agree, they didn't need to give that contract to him then. but he should be in the organization for a long time.

BertSquirtgum
12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
i still think it's the right move. the bills need a fitz type qb who understands the x's and o's to teach a guy with the raw ability.

i agree, they didn't need to give that contract to him then. but he should be in the organization for a long time.
yes, as the back up qb.

YardRat
12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
The timing was right, and so was the money. Fair contract at a fair time for both sides.

Joe Fo Sho
12-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Monster contract? 10 mil per year with an apparent easy escape clause is not a monster contract. It's not like his contract is putting us right up to the cap..

Mr. Cynical
12-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Not sure how you calculate "fair". He's missed at least 3 critical throws today so far to wide open receivers, 2 of which were likely 6 points. That's ok for a B level QB, but not one with a $59M contract.

Mr. Cynical
12-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Monster contract? 10 mil per year with an apparent easy escape clause is not a monster contract. It's not like his contract is putting us right up to the cap..

How much was guaranteed?

trapezeus
12-04-2011, 02:47 PM
yes, as the back up qb.

but the starter for now. he should be holding the fort. it's not like the team is the jets that has the pieces and is being held back by bad qb. it's a team putting some pieces togehter. but still missing a lot on both sides of the ball.

djjimkelly
12-04-2011, 02:52 PM
gg

YardRat
12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Fitz certainly has his issues, especially with accuracy on long balls and being streaky, but he'd look a helluva lot better if we had some guys that could actually catch the ball.

Buffalo Thriller
12-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Fitz certainly has his issues, especially with accuracy on long balls and being streaky, but he'd look a helluva lot better if we had some guys that could actually catch the ball.
Why all they would do is run 5 yard routes...

imbondz
12-04-2011, 03:02 PM
what if Fitz scores a TD here on this drive, does that change anything?

imbondz
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
nope!

BertSquirtgum
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Fitzputrid is terrible.

Mr. Cynical
12-04-2011, 03:08 PM

That last drive should put to rest any defense of his accuracy and ability to rise to the occasion. He is just way too hot and cold, and more cold than hot since he signed. He's a backup, just like the rest of the QB's we've had since Kelly. Just hope we can cut him loose the minute a real starting QB is available.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-04-2011, 03:10 PM
what if Fitz scores a TD here on this drive, does that change anything?

Not for me. He can't throw deep and isn't very accurate. Seems to have trouble with throwing towards the sideline. JMO.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Fitz or want him to fail. Would love to see him succeed but he just can't make all the throws necessary.

Night Train
12-04-2011, 03:21 PM
The limited Fitz seems to have been figured out on film and neutralized, ala Flutie.

Bills were hoping to get through another year with him, the way that contract was set up ( no hit after 2012 ) but it may be wise to consider a QB sooner than later.

Couple that with a D that fails during critical times and it only magifies the need.

Borosai
12-04-2011, 03:23 PM
I would rather see the Bills focus on defense in the draft, but there are a number of QBs other than Luck that look promising. Wilson (Wisconsin) and Griffin III (Baylor) come to mind, although I'm not sure if they're entering the draft. Strong arms, mobile and accurate.

I too would like to see Fitzpatrick succeed, but if it's not happening, so be it.

YardRat
12-04-2011, 03:26 PM
That last drive should put to rest any defense of his accuracy and ability to rise to the occasion. He is just way too hot and cold, and more cold than hot since he signed. He's a backup, just like the rest of the QB's we've had since Kelly. Just hope we can cut him loose the minute a real starting QB is available.

If you're ready to cut Fitz, then you should be on board with cutting Spiller and letting Stevie walk for the same reasons.

kishoph
12-04-2011, 03:26 PM
We have to get away from being a pass happy Offense, 46 attempts compared to 23 rushes is not very balanced.

Mr. Cynical
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Not for me. He can't throw deep and isn't very accurate. Seems to have trouble with throwing towards the sideline. JMO.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Fitz or want him to fail. Would love to see him succeed but he just can't make all the throws necessary.

With a minute to go, from our 30, he had the chance to rise up and make the throws. He didn't. Similarly paid elite QBs would have.

Billsfan3
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
give him one more year if he does not lead us to the playoffs next year we need to move on

Mike13
12-04-2011, 04:07 PM
You have to give him one more year, because you sure as hell cant just dump him after giving him that much money.

Mr. Cynical
12-04-2011, 04:28 PM
If you're ready to cut Fitz, then you should be on board with cutting Spiller and letting Stevie walk for the same reasons.

Different situtions.

Fitz was drafted in 2005 by STL, played 3 seasons on two different teams (STL and CIN), couldn't break into the starting lineup so we got him in 2009. Didn't produce until last half of last year, and then the beginning of this year, and THEN we gave him the money. Since then stinko.

Both Spiller and Stevie are our own recent draft picks and therefore got their deals on draft day. There's nothing else you can do but hope. But when it comes time to renew their contracts, then yeah, I would seriously consider what we should be paying them and if they push too hard then let them walk. Neither are elite (certainly not Spiller to this point) and Stevie has shown flashes but is not consistent. I still have some hope they will mature and make a go of it, but I'm not blindly clinging to that hope either.

I think it's more important to build proper lines to be honest - we have suffered for eons on that point - so I'd start pumping more money towards making them actually good.

Philagape
12-04-2011, 04:33 PM
It's not a monster contract, it's in the middle tier for starters. It's not binding long-term and it doesn't keep them from making a change.

That said, I'm becoming more discouraged by the week. Every so often he'll throw a wow 20-yard dart, and others it's like WTF.
Things I've noticed that have changed over the season: he gives up on the pocket too quickly (and when he doesn't, he doesn't get rid of as fast as he was), and he checks down too often. Some might say the offense has a lot of injuries, but Fitz hasn't reacted well to that. It's his job to adjust.

Mr. Cynical
12-04-2011, 04:35 PM
It's not a monster contract, it's in the middle tier for starters. It's not binding long-term and it doesn't keep them from making a change.

That said, I'm becoming more discouraged by the week. Every so often he'll throw a wow 20-yard dart, and others it's like WTF.
Things I've noticed that have changed over the season: he gives up on the pocket too quickly (and when he doesn't, he doesn't get rid of as fast as he was), and he checks down too often. Some might say the offense has a lot of injuries, but Fitz hasn't reacted well to that. It's his job to adjust.

What are the details of the contract? I know it's $59M total but I realize the devil is in the details. How much did he get guaranteed? If it's like $10M, and we're on the hook for $10M/yr, then I feel a little better. That can be a sunk cost and we can move on without breaking the bank.

Cleve
12-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Not sure why they didn't wait until end of season to work on contract. He's not Tom Brady.

I'd be willing to BET that it was a 93 year old Ralph Wilson Jr. interfering in the operations of the team once again, just like I'd bet it was him that forced that idiotic contract with Jauron.

These decisions in the last few years of the Bills - the contract for Jauron, the drafting of Spiller, the ludicrous contract for Kelsay, and now Fitzpatrick.... these actions really sort of resemble the odd, peculiar activities and decisions of an aged relative, living in an adult care home, whose mental faculties are in serious decline. And this is WHY I think it's Wilson making these bizarre addled decisions.

ZEUS
12-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Fitzputrid is terrible.

Typical Fitz hater BS thread as usual on this board. Half of you idiots probably don't remember or weren't born for all the bad throws and picks Kelly threw. You guys would have crucified him. No QB elite or not is going to make EVERY throw. If we had defense that could stop the run, had a pass rush, and an offense that wasn't so damn pass happy, we'd be heading to the playoffs.

YardRat
12-04-2011, 06:10 PM
I think it's more important to build proper lines to be honest - we have suffered for eons on that point - so I'd start pumping more money towards making them actually good.

Agree 100%.

YardRat
12-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Half of you idiots probably don't remember or weren't born for all the bad throws and picks Kelly threw. You guys would have crucified him.

This is the truth.

Cleve
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Maybe his first few games.... BUT.....unlike Fitzpatrick, Kelly displayed rapid improvement and far superior talent very quickly in the NFL. Fitzpatrick has been beating around the league for 6 seasons now - what you see with Fitzpatrick is what you get, and ALL you're going to get..... I.E., a somewhat below average starting QB.

Like all QBs, Fitzpatrick has better games than others. But unlike an elite QB, Fitzpatrick's number of bad games will be a much higher percentage of his total games played. A good QB is more consistent - Fitzpatrick is NOT consistent.

BigZ
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Time to can the beard.

Philagape
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Typical Fitz hater BS thread as usual on this board. Half of you idiots probably don't remember or weren't born for all the bad throws and picks Kelly threw. You guys would have crucified him. No QB elite or not is going to make EVERY throw. If we had defense that could stop the run, had a pass rush, and an offense that wasn't so damn pass happy, we'd be heading to the playoffs.

And none of that says anything about Fitz other than he's the mediocre game manager that he is.
I gave Fitz the benefit of the doubt, but he hasn't been good enough, according the bar that he set for himself. His passes haven't been good enough. His decisions haven't been good enough. When Fitz wills this team to win as much as Kelly did, not just for five weeks, then they can be mentioned in the same paragraph.

ZEUS
12-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Maybe his first few games.... BUT.....unlike Fitzpatrick, Kelly displayed rapid improvement and far superior talent very quickly in the NFL. Fitzpatrick has been beating around the league for 6 seasons now - what you see with Fitzpatrick is what you get, and ALL you're going to get..... I.E., a somewhat below average starting QB.

Like all QBs, Fitzpatrick has better games than others. But unlike an elite QB, Fitzpatrick's number of bad games will be a much higher percentage of his total games played. A good QB is more consistent - Fitzpatrick is NOT consistent.

Obviously you didn't watch any of the superbowls, the Frank Reich comeback against the oilers, or the playoff game against the expansion team Jaguars. Kelly was well into his prime or past it and he made some BIG mistakes. I'm a big fan of Jim Kelly. But they don't always make the throws they need to. This is Fitz's first year as the stater. He was great in the begining of the season with all the other staters around him. You guys lay all the blame on him and it's rediculous. Lay the blame where it belongs and that starts with the defense.

BertSquirtgum
12-04-2011, 09:06 PM
My dad and I were always yelling at the tv when he threw his horrible interceptions but he always came back with exceptional throws to make up for them, most of the time. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Fitzputrid is nothing more than a back up quarterback.

BertSquirtgum
12-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Obviously you didn't watch any of the superbowls, the Frank Reich comeback against the oilers, or the playoff game against the expansion team Jaguars. Kelly was well into his prime or past it and he made some BIG mistakes. I'm a big fan of Jim Kelly. But they don't always make the throws they need to. This is Fitz's first year as the stater. He was great in the begining of the season with all the other staters around him. You guys lay all the blame on him and it's rediculous. Lay the blame where it belongs and that starts with the defense.

He's the starting qb and it would be ridiculous not to blame him for his inaccurate throws.

Philagape
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Lay the blame where it belongs and that starts with the defense.

Have you not seen all the fire-George Edwards threads??? The defense has taken plenty of heat.
This thread is about Fitz, who deserves the blame for his failures.

Oaf
12-04-2011, 10:34 PM
That one guy who was posting after the NYG game was right.

ZEUS
12-05-2011, 05:00 AM
I've agonized through years of bad QB's. Todd Collins, AVP, Rob Johnson, Flutie, Bledsoe (he was on fire for half a season), JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and I think there's another one I'm forgeting. You guys must have just started watching the Bills a couple years ago, if you hate Fitz so much. Especially you, Epic Boob. He made some great throws as the pocket collapsed, but you guys just pick out the few bad ones. The guy throws very few picks and is a smart, tough player. He's ranked among top QB's in the league. Do I wish he made more accuarate throws, sure. But, after many years of terrible QB play in Buffalo, I'm glad Fitz is here.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-05-2011, 05:10 AM
Fits looks like a very good backup.

pats-were-right
12-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Did someone just put Fitzpatrick and Kelly in the same sentence?

Cleve
12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Did someone just put Fitzpatrick and Kelly in the same sentence?

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous

By the early part of his second season in the NFL, Kelly was QB'ing a team with a winning record. This is, what, Fitzpatrick's 6 or 7th season... where is the winning record? :laughing:

THATHURMANATOR
12-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry but he's too streaky and just hasn't stepped up enough to justify that monster contract. For that kind of money he should be carrying the team on his shoulders. All he's done is play average at best, and is playing more bad than good.

Feels a similar RJ move. Big $ on too little performance history.
While I agree he isn't going to be a guy that carries us to the Big game and I also think we should draft a top QB if one is available in the draft he didn't get a monster QB contract. He received an exactly middle of the road starting QB contract. 16th highest overall.

better days
12-05-2011, 10:54 AM
With a minute to go, from our 30, he had the chance to rise up and make the throws. He didn't. Similarly paid elite QBs would have.

Fitz did not get an elite QB contract, he got an AVERAGE Starting QB contract.

PTI
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
If not for garbage time stats in several games Fitz woudl surely be ranked in the 70's right now.

mrbojanglezs
12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Coming from the same guy that prob would ***** if the bills didn't overpay a good player and let him walk because he wanted top money

Syderick
12-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm willing to give Fitzpatrick another year. The Defense really needs to be fixed soon.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous

By the early part of his second season in the NFL, Kelly was QB'ing a team with a winning record. This is, what, Fitzpatrick's 6 or 7th season... where is the winning record? :laughing:
You do recall that Mr. Kelly also had two seasons in the USFL, so it was his fourth season with a top pro team.

Meathead
12-05-2011, 08:34 PM
fitz is sooo not the problem here

justasportsfan
12-06-2011, 10:40 AM
this is Fitz's biggest problem, his deep balls. Very inconsistent. Calls himself a gunslinger but he make make the deep throws that Brees and Rogers can.

If he can't improve on his deep balls, the team may have to find find speedy 6'5" players. THe medium passing and running game is all good until we fall behind and have to play catch up . The deep balls we had vs. the Pats no longer exists. It was a fluke.

Fitz out to improve accuracy

“I missed Brad (Smith) on a couple of the deep throws, being able to hit the plays when they’re there. That’s something that I’ve got to focus on and the way you do that is you practice and you get reps with these guys. You start to feel more comfortable then you start to hit them. That’s something that I definitely need to work on.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/12/05/fitz-out-to-improve-accuracy/

Extremebillsfan247
12-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Get him receivers who can actually hold on to the ball when it hits them in the hands, and he'll play better. JMO

ddaryl
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
he is still better then 50% of the QB's in this league, and until we are in a position to actually draft a decent QB worth grooming he will continue to be the best thing we have.

the contract was not a bad deal as it is essentially a 3 year deal with Buffalo holding the options on years 4, 5 ,6 and it does not keep us from grooming a QB under Fitz. That deal was the price you pay for a mediocre starting QB in the NFL these days...

the bottom line is he has thrown 20 TD's and has only been sacked 15 times.. He may not be the best arm but until we actually can find such a QB worth grooming he is better then the Edwards and Losman's available out there.

yes I would like to see an upgrade, but the deal was not far fetched or wrong.

PromoTheRobot
12-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Still can't understand why they had to do that contract when they did!

Well half the folks here plus Jerry Sullivan himself said the Bills would be FOOLS for not signing him. So of course they are fools FOR signing him.

PTR

PTI
12-09-2011, 01:25 PM
he is still better then 50% of the QB's in this league, and until we are in a position to actually draft a decent QB worth grooming he will continue to be the best thing we have.

the contract was not a bad deal as it is essentially a 3 year deal with Buffalo holding the options on years 4, 5 ,6 and it does not keep us from grooming a QB under Fitz. That deal was the price you pay for a mediocre starting QB in the NFL these days...

the bottom line is he has thrown 20 TD's and has only been sacked 15 times.. He may not be the best arm but until we actually can find such a QB worth grooming he is better then the Edwards and Losman's available out there.

yes I would like to see an upgrade, but the deal was not far fetched or wrong.

He is not better than guys that ARE backups right now. Think about it, all people say is Fitz just needed a chance, well, he has it, and he is dresdully average to below average, and it is without a doubt in my mind that guys like Matt Flynn and even Ryan Mallett could play just as well as Fitzpatrick. I don't even think Thigpen would have this team in that much a different place if he was QB.

Luisito23
12-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Fitz sucks, and I lay all the blame on him...Thank you. :refuse:

better days
12-09-2011, 01:37 PM
He is not better than guys that ARE backups right now. Think about it, all people say is Fitz just needed a chance, well, he has it, and he is dresdully average to below average, and it is without a doubt in my mind that guys like Matt Flynn and even Ryan Mallett could play just as well as Fitzpatrick. I don't even think Thigpen would have this team in that much a different place if he was QB.

Even if you are right, what is your point? We are stuck with Fitz until the Bills can get someone better.

BertSquirtgum
12-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Robert Griffin III in 2012.