PDA

View Full Version : Who is realistically going to be available to replace Edwards?

Crisis
12-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Wanny? I'm afraid we're going to fire this guy just to make another lateral move... seems to be the Bills' MO

Ginger Vitis
12-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Eric Mangini?

kishoph
12-04-2011, 04:53 PM
The guy pumping gas down the street from me. No really I give the Defense some credit, they put us in a position to win the game the last 2 weeks but the Offense failed. to score.

Novacane
12-04-2011, 04:55 PM
The guy pumping gas down the street from me.

I don't think he could be worse. That's the sad thing!

kingJofNYC
12-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I have no real solution to be honest. I guess you'd have to look at the best defenses in the league and pick a LB/DL/DB coach from said staff, just like the Giants did with Spags because there really isn't a big name out there besides Mangina. Spags will be available but that dude is going to the Eagles if Reid is still there.

Mahdi
12-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Kevin Greene. LB coach for Packers. Would be a huge pick up. Maybe Barnett can recruit him.

Cleve
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
The guy pumping gas down the street from me. No really I give the Defense some credit, they put us in a position to win the game the last 2 weeks but the Offense failed. to score.

Meh, they gave up 150 yds of rushing today to one Titans' player. That's pretty sieve -like in my opinion.

It's especially disheartening when you realize the Bills have made little progress in improving run defense, although it's been a pressing need for years.

cookie G
12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Kirby Smart

YardRat
12-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Smart will take a hc job at the college level over a dc position in the NFL.

Maybe Gailey can pull a couple of G-Tech strings and lure Al Groh back to the big leagues.

ServoBillieves
12-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Let's get K. Williams, George Wilson, Shawne Merriman, Terrence McGee, Chris Kelsay, Chris White, Torrell Troup, and Reggie Torbor healthy enough to have an off season where they can train, stay fit and provide what this defense was drawn up to be.

I still find it hilarious that people don't blame injuries for this team's downfall. You go in to a season with a set 53 man roster. When that roster goes to ****, and even all at the same spot, you're going to be screwed.

kingJofNYC
12-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Kirby Smart is going to coach everywhere next year.

mikemac2001
12-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Nolan

Phins D-Cord

depends on coaching switch but usually they will bring in there guys

Johnny Bugmenot
12-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Let's get K. Williams, George Wilson, Shawne Merriman, Terrence McGee, Chris Kelsay, Chris White, Torrell Troup, and Reggie Torbor healthy enough to have an off season where they can train, stay fit and provide what this defense was drawn up to be.

I still find it hilarious that people don't blame injuries for this team's downfall. You go in to a season with a set 53 man roster. When that roster goes to ****, and even all at the same spot, you're going to be screwed.
Good coaches know how to keep their players healthy.

ServoBillieves
12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Good coaches know how to keep their players healthy.

Yeah, it's called a strength and conditioning coach, and he must be a ****ing moron. Also, a good defensive coordinator can keep his defense off the field, so yeah, you're somewhat right, but why is it that no one on other teams lose their BEST PLAYERS (Bell, Williams, Jackson, Hairston, Wilson, Merriman, McGee, Kelsay) and lose role players instead of key cogs in the grand scheme?

How the heck is it we lose our stud sumo man, have to move our stud DE to that part, then lose his backup so we bring in Subway employees to fill in? We lost Kelsay who finally decides he wants to be a playmaker with essentially a rookie in Batten and there is no pass rush?

The coaches aside from Chan suck. It's obvious, it's pathetically obvious, but it's not the players fault. We have the talent. Hell, we have the pieces, and the coordinators made the perfect plan for them. All the key players did great... but when you lose the keys, you can't open the lock to the playoffs. Injuries doomed this team and it's coordinator, since he lost his cogs and lost any form of support.

No depth = Career death.

jimmacie
12-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Anybody would be better than Edwards - totally in over his head.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-04-2011, 07:27 PM
what makes anyone think chan is going to fire edwards?
I'd bet $1000 he does NOT get fired and will be back next year

NOT THE DUDE...
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
mike nolan or mangini

psubills62
12-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't know that Edwards will be back next year, wouldn't be so sure about it at all.

That said, can't bring myself to trust Gailey's choice in coaches.

Wanny, to me, doesn't make much sense. Mainly because Gailey will be on the hot seat next year and I doubt he wants to bother switching defenses at this point. Then again, I never thought that switching from a 4-3 to 3-4 immediately was a good idea, but they still did that.

cookie G
12-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Smart will take a hc job at the college level over a dc position in the NFL.

Maybe Gailey can pull a couple of G-Tech strings and lure Al Groh back to the big leagues.

It depends on the career path he wants. He'd definitely make more as a college head coach (Are you listening Jayhawks?) than an NFL coordinator. But a good DC in the NFL is one step away from one of the 32 most coveted head coaching jobs in football.

I'm usually not big on college coaches moving to the NFL, but his defense seems different. Disciplined aggression. Rarely see his teams get beat on a reverse or a screen, rarely out of place, everyone seems to know where they are supposed to ho.

We could use a little of that.

BertSquirtgum
12-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Jeff Fisher

psubills62
12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
It depends on the career path he wants. He'd definitely make more as a college head coach (Are you listening Jayhawks?) than an NFL coordinator. But a good DC in the NFL is one step away from one of the 32 most coveted head coaching jobs in football.

I'm usually not big on college coaches moving to the NFL, but his defense seems different. Disciplined aggression. Rarely see his teams get beat on a reverse or a screen, rarely out of place, everyone seems to know where they are supposed to ho.

We could use a little of that.
Supposedly, Smart is waiting for the University of Georgia job to open up (or possibly wait until Saban retires). I certainly wouldn't mind Smart, don't know what level of interest either side would actually have though.

Historian
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Chuck Knox!

Ed
12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Let's draft a few more Alabama players and hire whoever their DC is.

Seriously though, I have a feeling Edwards ends up staying. I'm perfectly ok with making a change, but in his defense this defense lacked adequate talent to begin with and got hit hard by injuries. We've been starting four rookies the past few weeks. Our best player, Kyle Williams has been hurt all year. The only pass rusher with any proven success that he was given, Merriman, has basically been hurt all year. Our secondary has had multiple guys injured for just about every game. Troup's been hurt all year. And our LB group is about as weak as I can ever remember.

I can totally see Chan wanting to give him another year. And he's the one that picked Edwards, so who's to say he's going to pick someone better. I think if he decides to make a change, or gets forced into making a change, they'll just promote Wannstache.

Mski
12-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Mangini, Fisher, DelRio, Wanny

YardRat
12-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Mangini, Fisher, DelRio, Wanny

Ugggh.

Fisher won't take a DC job, Del Rio has 1 year experience only, and Wanny flat out sucks.

Mangini being the only viable option out of the group says a lot.

Mski
12-05-2011, 03:06 PM
haslet? talley?

streetkings01
12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
haslet? talley?What the hell has Talley ever done as far coching goes on any level?

Mski
12-05-2011, 03:31 PM
What the hell has Talley ever done as far coching goes on any level?could he be any worse than what we have now?

SABURZFAN
12-05-2011, 03:33 PM
realistically???? somebody that The Old Fart doesn't have to shell out a lot money to. that's who his replacement will be.

Cleve
12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
realistically???? somebody that The Old Fart doesn't have to shell out a lot money to. that's who his replacement will be.

Wilson will occasionally lavish money on players (some worthy, some definitely not worthy of the money) but he will not pay for quality coaches and quality staff - that's been proven time and again over the years.

The Jokeman
12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Jon Tenuta, he has a history with Gailey at Georgia Tech or at the very least we could hire him as the replacement for LB coach when Wanny gets promoted to DC when we let go of Edwards this off season.

BertSquirtgum
12-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Let's draft a few more Alabama players and hire whoever their DC is.

Seriously though, I have a feeling Edwards ends up staying. I'm perfectly ok with making a change, but in his defense this defense lacked adequate talent to begin with and got hit hard by injuries. We've been starting four rookies the past few weeks. Our best player, Kyle Williams has been hurt all year. The only pass rusher with any proven success that he was given, Merriman, has basically been hurt all year. Our secondary has had multiple guys injured for just about every game. Troup's been hurt all year. And our LB group is about as weak as I can ever remember.

I can totally see Chan wanting to give him another year. And he's the one that picked Edwards, so who's to say he's going to pick someone better. I think if he decides to make a change, or gets forced into making a change, they'll just promote Wannstache.

I can totally see myself not watching the Bills if they don't fire Edwards.

kingJofNYC
12-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Jon Tenuta, he has a history with Gailey at Georgia Tech or at the very least we could hire him as the replacement for LB coach when Wanny gets promoted to DC when we let go of Edwards this off season.

He was terrible at ND, but ND is terrible. Not really feeling it. Why not pouch one an assistant from the Ravens. All but a few moved to NY with Rex, but they seemed to have picked up right where they left off.

RedEyE
12-06-2011, 11:28 AM

I wouldn't mind that at all.

And as Gailey has a working relationship with Ken Whisenhunt, if he is let go the end of this season, it would be nice to see Gailey secure the just HC role and hire Whisenhunt as OC.

Though I doubt any of this will happen...but you never know.

DraftBoy
12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
How much does George Edwards make?

I only ask because Cookie mentioned Kirby Smart who would be a fantastic hire but lets not forget Smart is already making $850K at Alabama this year, in addition to living in a town where they treat you like a King.

So unless we are going to spend some real money you may as well look at either out of work DC's or positional coaches who are looking for their break.

ServoBillieves
12-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Ugggh.

Fisher won't take a DC job, Del Rio has 1 year experience only, and Wanny flat out sucks.

Mangini being the only viable option out of the group says a lot.

Mangini said that Stevie Johnson's antics were the reason he didn't want to coach again, therefore putting us on the very, very back burner if he even decides to coach make a return to the sideline.

I wish I could find the article. If I stumble across it again I'll post the link...

Extremebillsfan247
12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
:D Mike Ditka

Historian
12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Wade Phillips is a great DC!

Oh...sorry.

SABURZFAN
12-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Wilson will occasionally lavish money on players (some worthy, some definitely not worthy of the money) but he will not pay for quality coaches and quality staff - that's been proven time and again over the years.

he will extend contracts for deadbeats though. look up Dick Jauron.

zone
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Mike Singletary?