PDA

View Full Version : My interest in the Bills over the past decade...

TacklingDummy
12-04-2011, 04:50 PM
...has been dwindling, dwindling, dwindling, and dwindling. This past season there have been games I barley watched even when I had the time

I'm not sure how much more I can take before I finally say piss on football.

Crisis
12-04-2011, 04:52 PM
It's like a dead marriage where you look at every hot piece of ass that walks by, but you know you could never cheat and you're stuck for life.

Novacane
12-04-2011, 04:52 PM
You're not the only one. I was just thinking how dead this board is after another loss. There was a day when this place would be on fire right now. We are getting used to losing.

Mad Bomber
12-04-2011, 05:18 PM
You're not the only one. I was just thinking how dead this board is after another loss. There was a day when this place would be on fire right now. We are getting used to losing.
Yes and no....I have been a Bills fan since 1964. I've seen the best and worst that this team can give us (more worst than best). We are not getting used to losing-- some of us long-suffering fans (like Jan Reimers and myself) are getting f u c k i n g TIRED of losing. After a while it just gets to be too much to deal with year after year after year after year.....

I have become numb (not Comfortably Numb - I love Pink Floyd) to the point that I watch the games and don't even get pissed off over a loss anymore. My wife has noticed this...she's not afraid of me going nonlinear after a Bills loss any more.

As Danny Glover said in one of the Lethal Weapon movies.... "I'm getting too old for this s h i t "

kingJofNYC
12-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Early in the decade, when I was young, I really didn't give a ****. It seems I care more now than I ever did before.

imbondz
12-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Early in the decade, when I was young, I really didn't give a ****. It seems I care more now than I ever did before.

you're doing it wrong then.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-04-2011, 05:43 PM
definately not the same now as in the past... went christmas shopping today and really did not care much about the game since it was blacked out... and now even after the loss Im feeling like "whatever" about the bills right now

kingJofNYC
12-04-2011, 05:45 PM
you're doing it wrong then.

And yet here we are, discussing how much we don't care about this team.

I think I'll stop giving a **** when I get married and my wife forces me to do **** on Sundays, or the Bills move.

Captain Obvious
12-04-2011, 05:47 PM
...This past season there have been games I barley watched even when I had the time

So in the offeseason you won't be able to comment on player evaluations since you have since such little of the Bills games

TacklingDummy
12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
So in the offeseason you won't be able to comment on player evaluations since you have since such little of the Bills games

I watched in the beginning of the season. Haven't watched much since then. Probably haven't watched much at all since after the 1st Jets loss.

It's not hard to evaluate dog shlt. It was easy early on to see how awful this team was even with 3 fluke wins.

Billz_fan
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Yes and no....I have been a Bills fan since 1964. I've seen the best and worst that this team can give us (more worst than best). We are not getting used to losing-- some of us long-suffering fans (like Jan Reimers and myself) are getting f u c k i n g TIRED of losing. After a while it just gets to be too much to deal with year after year after year after year.....

I have become numb (not Comfortably Numb - I love Pink Floyd) to the point that I watch the games and don't even get pissed off over a loss anymore. My wife has noticed this...she's not afraid of me going nonlinear after a Bills loss any more.

As Danny Glover said in one of the Lethal Weapon movies.... "I'm getting too old for this s h i t "

This is exactly how I feel. Went to my first game in 1975 as a teenager. I used to be as big a homer as many of the young guys on here. Now it's just blah. I don't get angry anymore sometimes I don't even watch all the games. Im just in a really strange place. Game day used to really mean something. Now , not so much :/

bf1
12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
What makes it worse it the front office makes a very minimal effort each year to improve.

trapezeus
12-04-2011, 06:10 PM
i agree. i had friends in town and went for brunch without second thought of missing the first half.

They just are a miserable organization. the scouts still just suck. the 2010 draft is as bad or worse than the 2006 class. Watching the ngata piece on espn, it's absurd.

They literally could pay this board like $200,000 to be split across 50 of us and let us vote on what we think and we'd have fielded a better team. it's not hyperbole.

Ralph wilson was the first bankster. He gets funded year after year after failure and more failure.

warsawbassman
12-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I was as die hard as any from early 80's knox era till they just kicked me in the balls this year. Back to back 2-14's, wide right, 4 straight losses in the sb, home run throwback, epic collapses in 02',08' and this year, finding new ways to lose games over and over again the last decade plus (i.e. Dallas monday nighter, 04 home opener, etc...) oh I almost forgot, losing to scrubs with a playoff birth on the line in 04'..... Enough is enough for me. I am taking a break, I still follow out of curiosity, but I am putting a lot of distance between me and them, no jumping up and down excited when the win, or down in the dumps when they lose. It's like they already have left town, cause thats how I will treat them when they do.

ServoBillieves
12-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm 24 years old. This team has literally defined my life. Take that as one of the most pathetic things you have ever read or just something interesting, but the Bills have been why I was ripped on living in Pittsburgh, why my nickname in high school and college was Buffalo, and why I have watched every game this year. Toss in my Bills tattoo and that's where my bandwagon/sometimes real Steeler fan friends respected me.

This team is cursed. I get beyond excited when they do well, but they will forever crush my heart and soul because there is something within this organization that prevents this team from winning.

If it's not talent, it's injuries. If it's not injuries, it's been lack of talent. If both have been OK, it's terrible coordinators. It's a maddening, awful situation that since my first memories has been dug in to my memory and will never go away. If we had 50% of the players that were either on IR or just constantly injured (Wilson, Kelsay, Bell, Hairston), this team would be GOLDEN... But no. Our best players are either done for the year or completely banged up.

As of today, I will say **** this team, but I will constantly be at this board, I will follow the draft, I will be obsessed with FA, and when this team starts off to a 4-2 start next year, I'll get my hopes up...

But let's face it... It's just not going to happen.

jimmacie
12-04-2011, 07:11 PM
I have followed this franchise since 1960 and I concur that the frustration has reached a new all-time high (or is it low?).

Most older Bills fans don't need a dynasty like New England or the Cowboys in the 1990's or 49ers in the 80's. Most of us just want ONE Super Bowl Championship (and ONE Stanley Cup Championship) before we die. As each frustrating year fleetingly goes by, it appears less and less likely that we Old-timers will ever see it happen. Man of us are running out of "next years" and it just adds to the frustration and lack of urgency in trying to turn it all around.

If I had Ralph Wilson's money and was 93 years old, I'd do ANYTHING necessary to try to win a championship before the end. But, NOOOO - not Ralph. Maybe after he is gone and the team moves (what a sad day that will be for Buffalo and all its long-suffering fans), fans will storm the Ralph Wilson Field House and destroy it as if it were the Bastille!

The frustration level has become unbearable. I agree with a lot of other posters, it just isn't the same anymore. Many longtime rabid fans are just burned out and have become numb to it all from all the losing and ineptitude involved with this franchise for SO long.

warsawbassman
12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I feared that when the air got let out of the balloon this time, it would be bad. There is nothing worse than a fan base that quits caring........and thats what they have drove me too, and by the sounds of it, many others.

bigbub2352
12-04-2011, 07:41 PM
this organization and the front office is a joke

SabreEleven
12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
I'll always be a Bills fan because I really enjoy getting kicked in the nuts.

Mike
12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I have learned to enjoy meaningful victories, or at least when they seem meaningful, and to roll with the losses. I am a realist, so the Bills have not disappointed my low expectations.

Mike
12-04-2011, 08:19 PM
It's like a dead marriage where you look at every hot piece of ass that walks by, but you know you could never cheat and you're stuck for life.

Go out & get laid!

Football is for fun. If its becoming a chore or source of pain & suffering let it go. Life is so short & so precious the last thing you should do is waste it on something that brings you so much suffering.

Historian
12-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Yesterday was a milestone for me: I didn't even check on the score until about 730 when the NBC pregame show was airing.

I simply did. not. care.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have been very busy in the autumn for the last several years, being a little league football board member, and attending both my daughters athletic events. (They both now compete for their High School)

But to be honest, I usually attend a couple games....and I've always at least watched when they were on tv. These last few weeks I haven't even bothered.

I think what stings the most, are the bad plays by the executive offices. And the worst part, is that it's not like a player that you can cut. These guys are like Supreme Court justices...they're there for life, or until someone new purchased the team. The arrogance that these clowns show on an annual basis (and you all know who they are, the Overdorfs, the Littmans, the Brandons) is appalling. They honestly think people are really that stupid.

The result: Nothing's gonna change.

I don't blame Chan. He's actually made hamburger look like steak at times. I don't even know that I blame Ralph at this point. I sometimes wonder if he even knows what is going on. I place blame on this inner circle of executives, who seem to be running their own agenda, which is anti-fan, as well as anti-winning.

I simply do not have the time or energy to care anymore, and probably will not until a successor is named.

And if for some reason the franchise is moved, I will be sad, as it has been a large part of my social life since 1967, but I will not be surprised. Sad too, as my son is just getting to the age where he's learning the game, and becomming a fan.

On the other hand, he plays soccer anyway.

Peace.

YardRat
12-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Ehhh...I've accepted the fact that it's in my blood, and always will be. After 40+years the wins are still exciting, but I've learned to let the losses go a lot quicker.

YardRat
12-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Great post, Dave.

RedEyE
12-05-2011, 06:17 AM
...has been dwindling, dwindling, dwindling, and dwindling. This past season there have been games I barley watched even when I had the time

I'm with ya. Going into this season I was already not even that excited. The Bills started off good and I thought, ok, maybe there is a chance they've finally figured it out.

But this latest let down season has left me deflated. I've got nothing left this season and find myself really not even caring that much about it.

DraftBoy
12-05-2011, 06:55 AM
I dont know that Ill ever be able to stop watching. This team along with two other things are the only thing that tie me back to where I was born. I can't let that go unfortunately.

However I can say I always expect the collapse to happen now. Early in the season this team was fun again for the first time in a while. Yes the collapse came but at least we got a glimmer, I suppose.

I know I'm grasping at straws here.

Albany,n.y.
12-05-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm 58, I've been a fan of this team for over 40 years, ever since I arrived in WNY for college. I haven't lived in WNY since 1982, but when I moved to Albany from LI in 1988 I started regularly attending Bills games again instead of one home game & a road game or 2 like I did in my LI years in the 1980s. I've had season tickets since 1991 and once had a streak from mid 1990 to November of 2007 where I never missed a real (I don't count preseason) game at Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium. I went to all home playoff games at Rich/Ralph and the 4 Super Bowls. I've missed 4 home games in the past 22 seasons which will increase to 5 when I miss the Denver game on 12/24 because I'll be in California that day. So, considering I live over 290 miles away, I've been a pretty dedicated fan.
Well-I'm sick of this. I don't know yet if I'll be renewing my season ticket for 2012. If my friend who has the 2 seats next to mine doesn't renew next year-he lives 90 miles further away form the Ralph than I do & will only get to 3 games this year-I won't either. Even if we do, I'm going to be dumping a lot more tickets, like he currently does & I'll be limiting the number of games I go to. What's the point of doing all this travel to see the same garbage year after year? I'd rather they be truly bad and get a superstar in the draft than this mediocrity year after year. At least then I could justify losing-right now they're just losing and it's the same old xxxx.
I've lost my enthusiasm. Yesterday, I went out there alone because my friend sold his two seats on ticket exchange. When I got to WNY on Saturday, I had very little desire to even go to the game. Fortunately, he sold his seats to a group af great guys who bought 4 of the tickets on either side of me. I moved over so the group could be together & we all had a good time. But-the Bills still lost & I had that long ride home alone. I'm not into doing this anymore. The only way I'll go to another Super Bowl will be if I go the the one in NY without the Bills on the field.
I've had enough & even if I renew next year, at least half the games will be on Ticket Exchange & I won't go. Why should I consider even going in December when the season will be worthless by then? I got lucky yesterday with the weather, but I'm getting too old for this to care anymore.

Fletch
12-05-2011, 07:55 AM
The arrogance that these clowns show on an annual basis (and you all know who they are, the Overdorfs, the Littmans, the Brandons) is appalling. They honestly think people are really that stupid.

But they have been that stupid. Not to offend anyone here.

But this FO has been the same for years. Ever since AJ/Butler, etc. left. Oh sure, they've rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic every now and again by shifting one Peter-Principled incompetent to a "new" position, but all in all it's the same caste.

Here's the thing, their style hasn't changed since day-one, and it was a losing recipe back then.

I guess it's just taken a hard, cold kick in the nuts to get most people to really believe/see it.

It's the methodology stupid. ... as the saying goes.

The team simply didn't know how to recognize talent. They are like ignorant kids, signing big names whose careers were over and drafting like complete bozos.

I mean look at this year's team on offense. It's a roster full of undrafted free agents and 7th round picks for the most part. It's rare to pull down a Fred Jackson, but that's our only success, luck. Even then, they didn't play him nearly as much in the beginning when it was obvious he was better than Lynch. They forced their money bags.

The trend of poor coaches and coordinators has even gotten worse and it was far from competitive before, years ago.

The writing was on the wall on these results years ago, and a big part of why the organization has gotten away with it is exactly because the fans have been that stupid.

Fletch
12-05-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm 58, I've been a fan of this team for over 40 years, ever since I arrived in WNY for college. I haven't lived in WNY since 1982, but when I moved to Albany from LI in 1988 I started regularly attending Bills games again instead of one home game & a road game or 2 like I did in my LI years in the 1980s. I've had season tickets since 1991 and once had a streak from mid 1990 to November of 2007 where I never missed a real (I don't count preseason) game at Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium. I went to all home playoff games at Rich/Ralph and the 4 Super Bowls. I've missed 4 home games in the past 22 seasons which will increase to 5 when I miss the Denver game on 12/24 because I'll be in California that day. So, considering I live over 290 miles away, I've been a pretty dedicated fan.
Well-I'm sick of this. I don't know yet if I'll be renewing my season ticket for 2012. If my friend who has the 2 seats next to mine doesn't renew next year-he lives 90 miles further away form the Ralph than I do & will only get to 3 games this year-I won't either. Even if we do, I'm going to be dumping a lot more tickets, like he currently does & I'll be limiting the number of games I go to. What's the point of doing all this travel to see the same garbage year after year? I'd rather they be truly bad and get a superstar in the draft than this mediocrity year after year. At least then I could justify losing-right now they're just losing and it's the same old xxxx.
I've lost my enthusiasm. Yesterday, I went out there alone because my friend sold his two seats on ticket exchange. When I got to WNY on Saturday, I had very little desire to even go to the game. Fortunately, he sold his seats to a group af great guys who bought 4 of the tickets on either side of me. I moved over so the group could be together & we all had a good time. But-the Bills still lost & I had that long ride home alone. I'm not into doing this anymore. The only way I'll go to another Super Bowl will be if I go the the one in NY without the Bills on the field.
I've had enough & even if I renew next year, at least half the games will be on Ticket Exchange & I won't go. Why should I consider even going in December when the season will be worthless by then? I got lucky yesterday with the weather, but I'm getting too old for this to care anymore.

Here's the thing, if fans had taken this approach in 2005, then maybe we'd have a competitive team today. Wilson would have had to ***** or get off the pot.

TacklingDummy
12-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Glad Im not the only one who fells this way.

blackonyx89
12-05-2011, 08:45 AM
I have followed this franchise since 1960 and I concur that the frustration has reached a new all-time high (or is it low?).

Most older Bills fans don't need a dynasty like New England or the Cowboys in the 1990's or 49ers in the 80's. Most of us just want ONE Super Bowl Championship (and ONE Stanley Cup Championship) before we die. As each frustrating year fleetingly goes by, it appears less and less likely that we Old-timers will ever see it happen. Man of us are running out of "next years" and it just adds to the frustration and lack of urgency in trying to turn it all around.

If I had Ralph Wilson's money and was 93 years old, I'd do ANYTHING necessary to try to win a championship before the end. But, NOOOO - not Ralph. Maybe after he is gone and the team moves (what a sad day that will be for Buffalo and all its long-suffering fans), fans will storm the Ralph Wilson Field House and destroy it as if it were the Bastille!

The frustration level has become unbearable. I agree with a lot of other posters, it just isn't the same anymore. Many longtime rabid fans are just burned out and have become numb to it all from all the losing and ineptitude involved with this franchise for SO long.

It's been a very long time I've posted, but this post hits the core of the Bills problems all these years, Ralph. A trillion times YES! to this post!!!! Time for a new owner, with aggressive ideas and a plan to win games again and be competitive again! Don't want them to move, but the franchise needs a new owner, big time!!!

He is destroying his own creation and doesn't care one iota if he does. Sad to see it happen. He is a control freak who wants puppets and patsies he can control and has an archaic mentality of how to run an NFL franchise. This isn't the 1970's anymore, adapt or lose and he has chosen the latter and Bills fans are paying the price for his ineptness as an owner. Hate to say I told you so haters of me on this board about this franchise, but I told you so. You know who you are. Bills Fan 4 Life! :peace:

Pinkerton Security
12-05-2011, 09:54 AM
PEACE!

SABURZFAN
12-05-2011, 04:22 PM

i will not go to a Bills game until The Old Fart is gone. you could give me the best seats in The Ralph and i still wouldn't go.

Skooby
12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I was invited for the home opener & figured we'd find a way to suck, so I didn't go. I can't see us fielding a decent product for several more years, at least until we find a QB to build around.

Yasgur's Farm
12-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Let's see if Buffalo can trade the NFL Bills for the CFL Argos.

I'm half serious... The product on the field (at least from our perspective) would be comparable.

unpaid_bills
12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
that is the sad part the Bills because of the play over the past 10+ years are not only turning off many long-time fans, but the younger generations. I grew up in the Buffalo area, my grandpa, dad and uncles all rooted for the Bills. I now live in CA, have 3 boys they like and watch only because of me. They love football but honestly arent into it. I am taking them to their first game this Saturday and they are not even really too excited - we will have fun none the less, but it's just not the excitement (even for me). I like many others will come back for more I am not giving up yet but it is really hard and frustrating. One can only take so much dissapointment, ridiculing, jokes. Losing is not fun -

JohnnyGold
12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
cliche: it's always darkest before the dawn.

you guys have every right to be pissed, to give up, to feel like this 5-2 start was 2008 all over again, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, and all that.

that it's a decade of losing.

here's the thing:

nix and gailey took over a BAD team, and they never said they could do it in 2 years. in fact, they said not to believe our start this year... we're still rebuilding. if we had started 0-7 and won 5 in a row, you guys would be happy.

this team has talent.

i've said it on here, and i've said it on twobillsdrive:

next year... NEXT YEAR... this team will compete for a super bowl birth.

yes, they are that close.

TacklingDummy
12-12-2011, 06:04 AM
...and dwindling.