PDA

View Full Version : Oh Bumbling Buddy, you almost had me fooled

bf1
12-05-2011, 02:17 PM
For a few weeks there I thought maybe my instincts were wrong. Maybe you really were some sort of genius. But I was right all along (unfortunately). You're 3 years into this (2 gm, 1 scout director) and the team is no better than it was when you started.

ServoBillieves
12-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, he busted Merriman's knee, took a crowbar to Jackson's femur, beat up Kyle Williams, made Easley smoke til he had a heart problem, told Kelsay to sit a couple weeks, et cetera et cetera...

djjimkelly
12-05-2011, 02:47 PM
For a few weeks there I thought maybe my instincts were wrong. Maybe you really were some sort of genius. But I was right all along (unfortunately). You're 3 years into this (2 gm, 1 scout director) and the team is no better than it was when you started.

im sorry but this team is much better then the last few years

we need 2 wrs

we need 2 OLBs

once we get that we have a very solid team.

fitz while not perfect is the best option we have had at qb since the 90's

the team as a whole needs more talent our first rounders from the last 5 years none are starting pre buddy i know wood is hurt

spiller is the best back on this team he will be a factor here before he ends his career as a bill

we in a major transition on D we dont have a capable OLB healthy on this roster

simple buddy needs more time

but this team is much better then it was a few years ago

kingJofNYC
12-05-2011, 03:12 PM
You've been bashing Nix since last season, he never fooled you, thanks for the thread!

EDS
12-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Who is the best player Nix has added to the roster?

kingJofNYC
12-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Urbik/Chandler/Nelson are all quality players so far.

I think the '11 draft class looks good so far, though I'm disappointed with the SEC duo.

djjimkelly
12-05-2011, 04:05 PM

i think barnett is playing well the other LBers arent sheppard shows at times

however with sheppard you can see him thinking out there hes just not comfortable yet give him this offseason he will look great next year im sure

EDS
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
i think barnett is playing well the other LBers arent sheppard shows at times

however with sheppard you can see him thinking out there hes just not comfortable yet give him this offseason he will look great next year im sure

So the best player he has brought in is a 30 year old free agent linebacker coming off a serious injury?

Says it all right there.

EDS
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Urbik/Chandler/Nelson are all quality players so far.

I think the '11 draft class looks good so far, though I'm disappointed with the SEC duo.

None of those guys are difference makers.

kingJofNYC
12-05-2011, 04:17 PM
None of those guys are difference makers.
The only difference makers in the NFL are primo OLBs/DE/QB, those positions affect the game more than any other, so yeah he hasn't brought in any difference makers. On occasion you'll find a once in a gen CB, but they're rare.

Larry Fitz is a difference maker at WR, but he's not much of a factor without a quality QB.

It's not what you asked in your OP though.

djjimkelly
12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
So the best player he has brought in is a 30 year old free agent linebacker coming off a serious injury?

Says it all right there.

i agree we need our best players to be not nick barnett but its a start.

we need to create a culture that promotes people to want to be here.

also we need to start taking chances on others misses maybin a total bust here is playing decent in the role jets using him in.

we need to start taking those same chances

EDS
12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
The only difference makers in the NFL are primo OLBs/DE/QB, those positions affect the game more than any other, so yeah he hasn't brought in any difference makers. On occasion you'll find a once in a gen CB, but they're rare.

Larry Fitz is a difference maker at WR, but he's not much of a factor without a quality QB.

It's not what you asked in your OP though.

Larry Fitzgerald has almost 1000 receiving yards already this season despite horrid QB play.

Buddy has ignorned the pass rush entirely in the draft and free agency. Have to wonder, if you are moving to a new scheme that requires edge rushers, and you have none on your team, wouldn't you at least use some assets to acquire one? Or would you rest your entire success on a couple of late round picks and a guy who has not played meaningful football in 4 years?

kingJofNYC
12-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Larry Fitzgerald has almost 1000 receiving yards already this season despite horrid QB play.

Buddy has ignorned the pass rush entirely in the draft and free agency. Have to wonder, if you are moving to a new scheme that requires edge rushers, and you have none on your team, wouldn't you at least use some assets to acquire one? Or would you rest your entire success on a couple of late round picks and a guy who has not played meaningful football in 4 years?
Well lets look at the '10 draft with regards to pass rushers.

If we look at the first round, I see no one special besides JPP. JPP was a boom or bust guy, everyone missed on him but the Giants. Giants could afford to take the risk with Tuck/Osi already established.

Guess they could've nabbed Dunlap or Everson Griffen in the 2nd/4th, but both are 4-3 ends and both had character concerns. I still would've taken a flyer on either.

Too soon to tell with '11 but Aldon Smith is the only guy who was available @ 3 and is also playing well.

They'll hopefully address it this year. Andre Carter was really the only DE available that would've made an impact.

Some of you act like pass rushers grow on trees. I expect them to try and get one this year, but I don't really see any stud DE/OLB this year. Maybe Ingram, not an Upshaw fan.

Edit: Bruce Irvin is intriguing but his numbers have been pedestrian, though the scheme he's in is a bit ****. Guy would fly with Rex Ryan though.

mrbojanglezs
12-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I like Nix's 2011 draft a lot actually

Dareus
Williams
Sheppard
Searcy
Hairston

All look like good players

Justin rodgers made some good plays recently

I liked bringing in Barnett last offseason.

if we can repeat 2011 draft this year I think Nix is doing good.

His 2010 draft was bad....very bad. He also had a lot of bad luck as well with the health issues of troup and easley

I actually like Nix, other than his refusal to sign big FAs....

EDS
12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Well lets look at the '10 draft with regards to pass rushers.

If we look at the first round, I see no one special besides JPP. JPP was a boom or bust guy, everyone missed on him but the Giants. Giants could afford to take the risk with Tuck/Osi already established.

Guess they could've nabbed Dunlap or Everson Griffen in the 2nd/4th, but both are 4-3 ends and both had character concerns. I still would've taken a flyer on either.

Too soon to tell with '11 but Aldon Smith is the only guy who was available @ 3 and is also playing well.

They'll hopefully address it this year. Andre Carter was really the only DE available that would've made an impact.

Some of you act like pass rushers grow on trees. I expect them to try and get one this year, but I don't really see any stud DE/OLB this year. Maybe Ingram, not an Upshaw fan.

Edit: Bruce Irvin is intriguing but his numbers have been pedestrian, though the scheme he's in is a bit ****. Guy would fly with Rex Ryan though.

Here are the rookies with more sacks than anyone on the Bills roster:

Von Miller - 10.5
Aldon Smith - 9.5
Ryan Kerrigan - 6.5
Brooks Reed - 6
Pernell McPhee - 6
Adrian Clayborn - 5.5
Jabaal Sheard - 5.5
Robert Quinn - 5
Sam Acho - 5
J.J. Watt - 4.5
Phil Taylor - 4
Karl Klug - 4

Hard to imagine the Bills could not do better then they haveas far as adding a pass rusher.

The Jokeman
12-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Von Miller - 10.5
Aldon Smith - 9.5
Ryan Kerrigan - 6.5
Brooks Reed - 6
Pernell McPhee - 6
Adrian Clayborn - 5.5
Jabaal Sheard - 5.5
Robert Quinn - 5
Sam Acho - 5
J.J. Watt - 4.5
Phil Taylor - 4
Karl Klug - 4

Hard to imagine the Bills could not do better then they haveas far as adding a pass rusher.
To be fair if took Miller, Smith, Kerrigan, Quinn or Watt than we wouldn't have Dareus who I think is a more complete player than any of those listed above.

Passing on Sheard and Reed for the sake of Aaron Williams is definately looking bad. I also have issues with passing on Acho and another name you didn;t mention Justin Houston since all seem to fit in the OLB many were crying for us to address in the draft.

ServoBillieves
12-05-2011, 09:35 PM
This thread has just become hilarious. How many excuses do you need to make before you realize with a healthy roster Buddy and Chan have done a great job? Give me some great reasons as to why, and I'll be astonished.

kingJofNYC
12-05-2011, 10:51 PM

Von Miller - 10.5
Aldon Smith - 9.5
Ryan Kerrigan - 6.5
Brooks Reed - 6
Pernell McPhee - 6
Adrian Clayborn - 5.5
Jabaal Sheard - 5.5
Robert Quinn - 5
Sam Acho - 5
J.J. Watt - 4.5
Phil Taylor - 4
Karl Klug - 4

Maybin has 5 sacks, having more sacks than anyone on the Bills isn't much of a feat.

Yeah, they should of drafted Miller since he was available at 3....

Like I said, Smith is the only guy that was available at 3 that would've had a major impact this year. The rest of the 1st round guys you listed would've been reaches at 3. Sheard and Reed would've made sense in the second but Sheard isn't a 3-4 OLB.

I also seem to recall you saying that Von Miller wasn't a top 5 talent, so yeah, how's that working out. I'm also going to assume that you hated the Dareus pick and feel that he's a bust. Think we should cut him?

Mike
12-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Yeah, he busted Merriman's knee, took a crowbar to Jackson's femur, beat up Kyle Williams, made Easley smoke til he had a heart problem, told Kelsay to sit a couple weeks, et cetera et cetera...

Texans Lost their Pro Bowl QB, Pro Bowl RB, Best WR in NFL, Pro Bowl DE, and they still won 6 IN A ROW!

Last year the most injured team WON THE SB!

Get Over it. Lack of DEPT is a sign of a poorly built Team

better days
12-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Texans Lost their Pro Bowl QB, Pro Bowl RB, Best WR in NFL, Pro Bowl DE, and they still won 6 IN A ROW!

If you did not know this was a poorly built team over the last decade you weren't following the Bills.

The Texans & Packers did not build their team in TWO years. Give Nix as long as those teams have had to build & the Bills will be much better than they are now.

2slowtogofast
12-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Results count I don't care what players look good or if we did't have so many injuries blah blah blah. If Buddy can build a team that gets into the post season and does't embarass itself then I will consider him a good GM. Untill then he is just the lastest person in a long line of failures hired by the bills FO.

EDS
12-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Maybin has 5 sacks, having more sacks than anyone on the Bills isn't much of a feat.

Yeah, they should of drafted Miller since he was available at 3....

Like I said, Smith is the only guy that was available at 3 that would've had a major impact this year. The rest of the 1st round guys you listed would've been reaches at 3. Sheard and Reed would've made sense in the second but Sheard isn't a 3-4 OLB.

I also seem to recall you saying that Von Miller wasn't a top 5 talent, so yeah, how's that working out. I'm also going to assume that you hated the Dareus pick and feel that he's a bust. Think we should cut him?

I was a fan of taking Dareus long before he was the pick, and I would have taken him first overall if given the opportunity. I would have made him a DT in a 4-3 defense though.

Doubt that was me saying Miller was not worthy of a top pick.

djjimkelly
12-06-2011, 09:15 AM

and u expect anyone to fix that in 2 offseason

the cupboard was empty when nix took over what we had kyle williams on D

or we had wood and levitre on the o line those are the only starters that buddy had when he took over

he needs more time our roster was horrific after dickless jauron

Historian
12-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm willing to give him three more years.

What the hell do I care?

I don't pay for this semi-pro slop to begin with.

BillsFever21
12-07-2011, 07:46 PM

This team was going down the drain long before Jackson and Wood got injured. Kelsay isn't a huge difference maker either. Also he's been playing the past few weeks and we are still losing so what's your excuse for that one?

As far as Merriman goes if you were penciling him in as the guy from 5 years ago and an everyday starter who was going to last the season that then was being naive on your part. They took a chance on him and his health and it failed.

This team had 2 lucky comeback wins that usually happens once a year if you're lucky and we were also lucky to hold onto the Eagles game after a 21 point lead and it took 5 turnovers with a few fluke ones just to win that game.

Our other two wins came against KC in week one who clearly wasn't ready to play since they were smoked the following couple weeks or so after that too and our other win was against a Redskin team that couldn't beat anybody at the time.

This team isn't much if any better then last season and it's been proven after our fast lucky start started to level off. You can try to blame it on injuries if you want but we were in the middle of the collapse while Jackson was still healthy, we're still losing since Kelsay returned and he was only gone a few games anyway and we would still be losing if Merriman wouldn't have gotten injured.

Losers blame their losses on injuries even if they happened while or after the losing is going on. The Texans were missing Andre Johnson for most of the season, lost their starting QB, lost their backup QB in the middle of the next game and have lost other players and yet they are still 9-3.

Too many apologist that don't want to face reality blame injuries or other excuses. Every team has injuries but some around here act like the Bills are the only team in the league. This is just a bad team. Time to face reality.

Extremebillsfan247
12-08-2011, 01:28 AM

I only have one question right now when it comes to front office personnel. What the hell is keeping Jim Overdorf in Buffalo? In my opinion, he is a much bigger problem than Nix is. My only guess would be that maybe he is Ralph Wilson's perennial watch dog. If that is the case, then Nix doesn't have as much control over this team as we may think. Of course, it's hypothetical. I don't pretend to know the goings on behind closed doors at One Bills Drive, so like most fans I'm left to assumptions of preconceived notions. It just strikes me as odd that he is still with this organization. That is about all I have to add to this topic.

BertSquirtgum
12-08-2011, 01:48 AM
This thread has just become hilarious. How many excuses do you need to make before you realize with a healthy roster Buddy and Chan have done a great job? Give me some great reasons as to why, and I'll be astonished.

Great job? I don't see it that way.