PDA

View Full Version : Putting on my optimist hat

TigerJ
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I realize that given the current mood this might be a risky proposition, since I don't particularly like getting flamed. Let me also say that being an optimist doesn't mean I'm not pretty disgusted at how the season has gone down the dumper. BUT, let me lay out why I feel like all is not lost regarding the future of the Bills.

First, looking at this season: Remember that the Bills are playing without arguably the best nose tackle in the NFL, Kyle Williams. They are also playing without one of the elite all around running backs in the NFL in Fred Jackson and without arguably their best offensive lineman in Eric Wood. Yeah that last part is not a slam dunk. Andy Levitre has played pretty well at times this season too, especially when the whole line was healthy. He's not on IR, but George Wilson hasn't played for a few games and he was being touted as one of the better strong safeties in the league a little earlier in the season. Other players the Bills have counted on have struggled with various issues too. Torrell Troup eventually went on IR after it became evident his back wasn't going to let him contribute effectively this season. Buffalo has had to resort to shifting players around on both the offensive and defensive lines just to have healthy people playing. I don't think these health issues cost the Bills all of the losses of their recent skid, but they certainly haven't helped.

So, why should I think things will get better next year? First, I don't think that the Bills are cursed, and therefore doomed to have injury issues as bad as this every year. I believe Kyle Williams will come back and be a productive player again, though as I understand it his surgery was significant enough to doubt that he'll be ready at the start of training camp and he might mot even be able to start the season. I do think he'll play part of the season, and I look for him to be more effective than this year when he does return.

I believe Fred Jackson has a couple more good seasons left in him, and that the experience CJ Spiller is getting right now is going to help him be a more effective compliment to Jackson next season.

I think Eric Wood will contribute next season, though like Kyle Williams he might not be ready to go by game one or the regular season. I think the Bills have all but decided not to resign Demetrius Bell because they like Chris Hairston as their starting left tackle going forward. While I wasn't quite ready to give up on Bell, I'm OK with Hairston. I believe that next year, while the Bills offensive line is still going to be one of the younger lines in the league, the experience they have gained this year will make them better next year, Just like they were better this season when everyone was healthy than they were last season.

I don't know if Shawn Merriman will come back and contribute next year or not. Frankly, I'm not really counting on him, but I do think the Bills will seek to upgrade their outside linebacking like they did their inside linebacking this season. Whether that is via the draft or free agency remains to be seen. I can only hope that they will succeed, and at least begin to show some ability to get to opposing passers next season.

In the secondary, I think the Bills are pretty well set at safety. Byrd has made a few mistakes this season, but most of the time has played well, as has George Wilson. I think the Bills will get another season or two out of Scot as a backup, and Searcy has the makings of a solid backup safety with starting potential down the road. At cornerback, we finally found out that McKelvin is never going to be a solid starter in this league. I don't know when his contract is up, but I doubt he's re-signed. He is a useful nickel or dime back until then though. I think Aaron Williams showed he might be able to start once he has a little more experience, and when Justin Rogers finally got on the field, I think he showed he can play. I think the cornerbacks are a position in transition for the Bills, and they might draft/sign a couple more this offseason. I think once the Bills find a pass rush, they'll find their secondary will perform a lot better.

Unlike some, I do think that Buddy Nix knows what he's doing, and while I expect him to retire in a year or two, I think he'll make the team better next year. I also think Chan Gailey is a good coach, though not perfect.

All that being said, I reiterate the prediction I made last spring, the Bills will make the playoffs in the 2012-2013 season. Until the Bills started out the 2011 season on fire, I thought making the playoffs in the 2011 was going to be iffy.

The one thing I fear, and I don't think it's likely to happen, is that Ralph Wilson will step in again and blow up the team. I think continuity is the best way to success at this point because we've already seen that there are certain coaches that Buffalo is simply not going to be able to sign. We never stood a chance to get Mike Shanahan (whom we all thought was God's gift to coaching) and Bill Cowher (whom many though was God) or Jim Harbaugh etc. We fire Gailey and we'll again be competing for coaches that are perceived around the league as "second tier." I'd rather stick with what we have and see what he can do with more time.

better days
12-05-2011, 11:07 PM
I realize that given the current mood this might be a risky proposition, since I don't particularly like getting flamed. Let me also say that being an optimist doesn't mean I'm not pretty disgusted at how the season has gone down the dumper. BUT, let me lay out why I feel like all is not lost regarding the future of the Bills.

First, looking at this season: Remember that the Bills are playing without arguably the best nose tackle in the NFL, Kyle Williams. They are also playing without one of the elite all around running backs in the NFL in Fred Jackson and without arguably their best offensive lineman in Eric Wood. Yeah that last part is not a slam dunk. Andy Levitre has played pretty well at times this season too, especially when the whole line was healthy. He's not on IR, but George Wilson hasn't played for a few games and he was being touted as one of the better strong safeties in the league a little earlier in the season. Other players the Bills have counted on have struggled with various issues too. Torrell Troup eventually went on IR after it became evident his back wasn't going to let him contribute effectively this season. Buffalo has had to resort to shifting players around on both the offensive and defensive lines just to have healthy people playing. I don't think these health issues cost the Bills all of the losses of their recent skid, but they certainly haven't helped.

So, why should I think things will get better next year? First, I don't think that the Bills are cursed, and therefore doomed to have injury issues as bad as this every year. I believe Kyle Williams will come back and be a productive player again, though as I understand it his surgery was significant enough to doubt that he'll be ready at the start of training camp and he might mot even be able to start the season. I do think he'll play part of the season, and I look for him to be more effective than this year when he does return.

I believe Fred Jackson has a couple more good seasons left in him, and that the experience CJ Spiller is getting right now is going to help him be a more effective compliment to Jackson next season.

I think Eric Wood will contribute next season, though like Kyle Williams he might not be ready to go by game one or the regular season. I think the Bills have all but decided not to resign Demetrius Bell because they like Chris Hairston as their starting left tackle going forward. While I wasn't quite ready to give up on Bell, I'm OK with Hairston. I believe that next year, while the Bills offensive line is still going to be one of the younger lines in the league, the experience they have gained this year will make them better next year, Just like they were better this season when everyone was healthy than they were last season.

I don't know if Shawn Merriman will come back and contribute next year or not. Frankly, I'm not really counting on him, but I do think the Bills will seek to upgrade their outside linebacking like they did their inside linebacking this season. Whether that is via the draft or free agency remains to be seen. I can only hope that they will succeed, and at least begin to show some ability to get to opposing passers next season.

In the secondary, I think the Bills are pretty well set at safety. Byrd has made a few mistakes this season, but most of the time has played well, as has George Wilson. I think the Bills will get another season or two out of Scot as a backup, and Searcy has the makings of a solid backup safety with starting potential down the road. At cornerback, we finally found out that McKelvin is never going to be a solid starter in this league. I don't know when his contract is up, but I doubt he's re-signed. He is a useful nickel or dime back until then though. I think Aaron Williams showed he might be able to start once he has a little more experience, and when Justin Rogers finally got on the field, I think he showed he can play. I think the cornerbacks are a position in transition for the Bills, and they might draft/sign a couple more this offseason. I think once the Bills find a pass rush, they'll find their secondary will perform a lot better.

Unlike some, I do think that Buddy Nix knows what he's doing, and while I expect him to retire in a year or two, I think he'll make the team better next year. I also think Chan Gailey is a good coach, though not perfect.

All that being said, I reiterate the prediction I made last spring, the Bills will make the playoffs in the 2012-2013 season. Until the Bills started out the 2011 season on fire, I thought making the playoffs in the 2011 was going to be iffy.

The one thing I fear, and I don't think it's likely to happen, is that Ralph Wilson will step in again and blow up the team. I think continuity is the best way to success at this point because we've already seen that there are certain coaches that Buffalo is simply not going to be able to sign. We never stood a chance to get Mike Shanahan (whom we all thought was God's gift to coaching) and Bill Cowher (whom many though was God) or Jim Harbaugh etc. We fire Gailey and we'll again be competing for coaches that are perceived around the league as "second tier." I'd rather stick with what we have and see what he can do with more time.

Good post, but I would hope Nix stays on as a scout/consultant when he wants to cut down on his responsibilities as GM.

Oaf
12-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Great reasons to be optimistic about 2012. But the problem is the only reasons to be optimistic, are for 2012.

Jeff1220
12-06-2011, 06:08 AM
If I remember correctly, Buddy and Chan talked about a 3 year rebuilding plan. As disappointing as this season has been, it still seems like a next step with next year being the year to "show me the baby."
This always seems to be a team of "ifs"...but if this team upgrades the D, and if they can stay healthy, then I still see no reason the Bills can't put it all together in 2012.

jamze132
12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Nix needs to scrap his anti-free agency thing and get some people on defense who can actually make a difference. I loved the Nick Barnett signing, but that was very "un-Buddy" like. He needs to do more of that.

TigerJ
12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Great reasons to be optimistic about 2012. But the problem is the only reasons to be optimistic, are for 2012.

Yeah, that's true. I figure once the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs, which has now happened, I really start to think about next year and beyond. It's not that I would want the Bills to lose games to raise their draft position though. I think the focus for the remainder of the season is to:

A. Address the execution issues that have plagued the Bills - dropped passes, penalties, missed assignments, etc. and. . .

B. Find out what young guys who have had little chance to play this year deserve a chance to have an expanded role next season.

C. Win a few games to lay a better psychological foundation for next season.

TigerJ
12-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Good post, but I would hope Nix stays on as a scout/consultant when he wants to cut down on his responsibilities as GM.

That would be my hope too. I think he is a good evaluator of talent. He is over 70 though and at that age you never know when health issues will start to have an impact on what you cann do. I'm nearing 60 and I am accutely aware of what's happening to my body.

ServoBillieves
12-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Why... WHY is it when I post this same exact thing it's overlooked, yet someone else finally gets it and they're considered saints?

Buddy is doing his job, injuries have RUINED this team, and with one more good draft and some decent FA pick ups we will be golden. We have addressed all our needs so far minus the backup few (and CB). It is not the players, it's mostly the coordinators fault, and having 0 blitz scheme.

Get a REAL DC, get our players healthy, get a real Strength and Conditioning Coach, and with a good draft, we are set for years.

TigerJ
12-07-2011, 01:24 PM
You're a wonderful human being and ahead of the curve when it comes to understanding the Bills, ServoBillieves.