PDA

View Full Version : I think Johnson is gone...whether we want him or not

User Manuel
12-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Of course, this is my opinion only. After listening to his 4pm with the Bulldog on WGR yesterday I think he is going to decide not to resign. I don't think he wants to be here, I think he feels victimized by the fans and media and he just doesn't seem to grasp the signifigance of the penalty and the drops. He just sounds like a guy who will run for the bus to someplace hoping the grass is greener. I hope I am wrong, but that is my gut feeling.

Of course, we could use the franchise tag, but that seems like just way too much for Stevie. Thoughts?

Ed
12-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't know why he'd feel victimized by Buffalo. It's the national media that's been killing him.

Mski
12-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't know why he'd feel victimized by Buffalo. It's the national media that's been killing him.infact most of the local media has been supporting him, with exception of sullivan, but he doesnt support anyone not named george wilson

trapezeus
12-06-2011, 10:31 AM
if what the original poster says is true, johnson couldn't handle playing on any team other than buffalo. The spot light of drops will be harder in a town that gets a reaction from the national media. buffalo doesn't.

i get the feeling that johnson wants to be here and will sign at a reasonable contract. if the bills let him go for nothing, i am giving up.

he's good enough to be on the team. he's a quality receiver. why the bills seem intent to follow this "must be the ebst or we'll look again" methodology is precisely why they suck so much.

THATHURMANATOR
12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Coach Sal will tell you that players don't get affected by fan reactions.

OpIv37
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Yeah well, I feel victimized by Johnson every time he fails to make a big play.

So, suck it up because the feeling goes both ways.

G Wolly
12-06-2011, 10:36 AM
If he can't handle "victimizing" or heavy criticism for the choices and mistakes he makes, he should leave the league, not Buffalo.

justasportsfan
12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Victimized? If he played for the giants he would have been neutered.

Ed
12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
infact most of the local media has been supporting him, with exception of sullivan, but he doesnt support anyone not named george wilson
I don't live in Buffalo, so I can't really comment on what the vibe is locally, but I feel like Stevie's rep nationally is based mostly on negative things like the celebration penalties/fines and the drops, fair or not.

He's not exactly putting up huge numbers this year, so I would expect fans of another team to not exactly be jumping for joy if they sign Stevie to a mega deal. They'll be way more critical and harder on him then anyone.

I really hope we re-sign Stevie. Losing him would just put another huge hole at an important position. We're never going to see improvement if we can't keep the few good players we have.

OpIv37
12-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I really hope we re-sign Stevie. Losing him would just put another huge hole at an important position. We're never going to see improvement if we can't keep the few good players we have.

That argument goes both ways though. How are we supposed to get better by re-signing the same players? We could do worse than Stevie, but we could also do better.

Jan Reimers
12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't know why he'd feel victimized by Buffalo. It's the national media that's been killing him.
He has killed himself with the TD drop against Pittsburgh, the stupid TD celebrations, including the mindless one against the Jets, and then the key drop in the same game.

He is not worth top WR money or the franchise tag. He is basically an idiot with very inconsistent hands and average speed.

BertSquirtgum
12-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I was listening to him. He sounded like a spoiled little ***** crying because people make fun of him. Grow the **** up Steve.

Lone Stranger
12-06-2011, 11:28 AM
That argument goes both ways though. How are we supposed to get better by re-signing the same players? We could do worse than Stevie, but we could also do better.

We are into the perennial arguments of whether free agents want to come to Buffalo and whether or not the organization is willing to pay the $. I am dubious of the organization's ability and desire to obtain FAs.

Extremebillsfan247
12-06-2011, 11:47 AM
My thoughts are the Bills should sign him if they can sign him. Letting him walk would be a bad move by this organization. This team is already in trouble at that position. The problem with this team is that there is Stevie Johnson and then everyone else as far as receivers go. We already have a great slot receiver in Nelson, so why not sign S. Johnson, and bring in another receiver who is just as good, or better? That makes more sense to me than to just let him walk because he dropped a pass, or likes to celebrate touchdowns. JMO

ServoBillieves
12-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Victimized? If he played for the giants he would have been neutered.

Beat me to it.

He goes to any other team in the NFL and it's immediately a bigger market. He heads to any NFC East team, he's doomed. He heads to Pittsburgh and makes 1 drop? Can you imagine the signs the NFC North could make? Done. He heads to another AFC East team? We will tear him to shreds.

I can think of very few safe teams where he wouldn't be 'victimized'. His safest bet is to go hide in the AFC South and be a #2 or #3 receiver.

WOW, in doing this little rant, I just realized how pedestrian of a receiver he is. Sure he has value and hands, but it's become very sad that being the Bills #1 receiver isn't a huge deal.

Man... I miss Moulds, Price, et cetera...

Mahdi
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
LOL. This post is hilarious and also ridiculous.

As if Andre Johnson or Larry Fitz are going to sign their next contracts in Buffalo.

The Buffalo fan base really needs to learn to appreciate their players, especially the ones that perform on Sundays.

If Stevie leaves, the main reason will not be the Bills it will be annoyingly bitter Bills fans... How about we try supporting our players for once!

OpIv37
12-06-2011, 12:24 PM

As if Andre Johnson or Larry Fitz are going to sign their next contracts in Buffalo.

The Buffalo fan base really needs to learn to appreciate their players, especially the ones that perform on Sundays.

If Stevie leaves, the main reason will not be the Bills it will be annoyingly bitter Bills fans... How about we try supporting our players for once!

Except that Johnson doesn't perform on Sundays.... at least not when it counts the most.

The idea that we should support our players just because they're wearing the right colors is hilarious and ridiculous. We shouldn't support our players when they cost us wins. We should support our players when they earn it.

Stevie cost us a win with the drop against Pittsburgh last year. Stevie cost us a win with two drops and a stupid penalty against the Jets this year. And both times, he went on Twitter and acted like a jackass about it.

I will never understand why people who claim they want the team to win insist on defending players who didn't do what was necessary to get us a win. It's nonsensical.

EDS
12-06-2011, 12:42 PM

You are on crack if you think any player makes his free agent decisions based on the fans. It is all about the money, winning and the potential for more money.

kingJofNYC
12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Hope Johnson does bail, we need to create more holes on this team. I'm also morbidly curious to see what he could do with a really good QB/team. Why waste away in Buffalo like Evans.

BertSquirtgum
12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Hope Johnson does bail, we need to create more holes on this team. I'm also morbidly curious to see what he could do with a really good QB/team. Why waste away in Buffalo like Evans.

are you even a Bills fan?

Mahdi
12-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Except that Johnson doesn't perform on Sundays.... at least not when it counts the most.

The idea that we should support our players just because they're wearing the right colors is hilarious and ridiculous. We shouldn't support our players when they cost us wins. We should support our players when they earn it.

Stevie cost us a win with the drop against Pittsburgh last year. Stevie cost us a win with two drops and a stupid penalty against the Jets this year. And both times, he went on Twitter and acted like a jackass about it.

I will never understand why people who claim they want the team to win insist on defending players who didn't do what was necessary to get us a win. It's nonsensical.
Stevie does perform Sundays and the stats prove it. So don't need to waste my time with it.

Did he cost us a couple wins, possibly. You don't know that for sure, did he drop two balls right in his hands? Yes.

I'm just not as ready as you are to get rid of him because of two or three mistakes. I take his entire body of work into account, and that tells me that he is a damn good receiver and one that gets the best of the best CB in the league who happens to be in our division.

Also, maybe 10 years ago players didn't base their signing on fans, but these days, with social media making the connection between fan and player so strong, it absolutely plays a factor.

Especially after 100s of whining fans with no lives go and insult a guy for dropping a pass or a mistake he owned up to and making him feel unappreciated.

Money is the most important factor, but comfort level and fan support plays a role now, and Stevie has not been supported.

And don't forget that Takeo Spikes was lured to Buffalo by the fans...

Ed
12-06-2011, 01:39 PM
We get better by adding new talent to what talent we already have and replacing the starters that actually need to be replaced. We already know that we need serious upgrades at LB for example. So the guys we have at LB don't need to be re-signed, they need to be replaced. We could argue that we need to get better at WR too. To do that we need to find guys that are better then Donald Jones and Roosevelt, not by having to find a better player then those guys and a replacement for Stevie. Just because your team's not good enough to make the playoffs doesn't mean you need to replace every single player on the team.

We have way more spots on this team that need upgrading over Stevie Johnson's spot. We simply don't have enough top draft picks and available top free agents to be able to upgrade the biggest weaknesses on our team and replace the good players we do have.

PromoTheRobot
12-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Johnson has made posts about his childhood home in San Fran that made me think he'd rather be there than here. Just my take.

From 11/28/11

California State of Mind. I'm Ready to See You Again! Bayview Hunters Point SFC I Love How You Raised Me! S/O Fairfield,Ca Also. #415 #707

PTR

OpIv37
12-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Stevie does perform Sundays and the stats prove it. So don't need to waste my time with it.

Did he cost us a couple wins, possibly. You don't know that for sure, did he drop two balls right in his hands? Yes.

I'm just not as ready as you are to get rid of him because of two or three mistakes. I take his entire body of work into account, and that tells me that he is a damn good receiver and one that gets the best of the best CB in the league who happens to be in our division.

Also, maybe 10 years ago players didn't base their signing on fans, but these days, with social media making the connection between fan and player so strong, it absolutely plays a factor.

Especially after 100s of whining fans with no lives go and insult a guy for dropping a pass or a mistake he owned up to and making him feel unappreciated.

Money is the most important factor, but comfort level and fan support plays a role now, and Stevie has not been supported.

And don't forget that Takeo Spikes was lured to Buffalo by the fans...

Stats don't prove everything. If you take his entire body of work into account, then you have to account for the two big drops and the immaturity. He's not a guy that can be counted on in the big moment.

And if he feels unappreciated, that's him being whiny. Stevie knows that Buffalo fans are starved for wins. He made key mistakes in a game against a division rival that would have kept us in the playoff hunt for at least 2 more weeks if we had won.

Like I said earlier in this thread, support isn't guaranteed just because a player puts on the right color jersey. It has to be earned. Stevie has had some good games and put up some good numbers, but it hasn't led to more wins and his mistakes have cost us two wins. Contrary to what Stevie thinks, the fans don't owe him support.

And, as several other people have pointed out, if he thinks things are tough here, maybe he should try playing for the Jets, Giants, Eagles or Patriots, then see what kind of crucifixion he gets for this type of mistake. If he doesn't get some thicker skin, then he's in the wrong profession.

Stevie gets paid millions to play a game. The drawback is that if he makes a mistake on the job, millions of people will see it and he will hear about it. It's a trade-off that most of us would make in about two seconds flat. If he doesn't want to hear fans complain after he ****s up, then he has to stop ****ing up.

Oaf
12-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Stevie I think runs some of the best routes in the NFL. I hope we hold onto him.

ddaryl
12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Johnson has proven without a doubt that he is a solid #2 WR...

He doesn't deserve #1 money IMO... but he would make a great #2 next to a bonafide #1 WR

that will be the hard part.. Will he hold out for #1 money, and will the Bills be willing to franchise him=.

Ed
12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
If he doesn't want to re-sign here then the Bills should at least franchise him and trade him. Don't just let him walk.

PTI
12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
He really should have been signed to a decent mid deal in the middle of last year, Bills just make mistakes all the time on how much and when to make deals.

EDS
12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
If I were the Bills GM I would definitely make every effort to retain Steve Johnson. He is far and away the best receiver on the roster and his absence would without question reduce the Bills receiving corps to the absolute basement of units from a talent perspective in the NFL (probably in the SEC too).

Obviously he is no Calvin Johnson so he should not expect to get paid like he is.

streetkings01
12-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Of course, this is my opinion only. After listening to his 4pm with the Bulldog on WGR yesterday I think he is going to decide not to resign. I don't think he wants to be here, I think he feels victimized by the fans and media and he just doesn't seem to grasp the signifigance of the penalty and the drops. He just sounds like a guy who will run for the bus to someplace hoping the grass is greener. I hope I am wrong, but that is my gut feeling.

Of course, we could use the franchise tag, but that seems like just way too much for Stevie. Thoughts?I felt the same way after listening to the interview. I came away thinking...........the only way he stays in Buffalo is if they put the tag on him..........he's as good as gone.

streetkings01
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Coach Sal will tell you that players don't get affected by fan reactions.Coach Sal also thinks he knows more football then everybody else.

streetkings01
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Hope Johnson does bail, we need to create more holes on this team. I'm also morbidly curious to see what he could do with a really good QB/team. Why waste away in Buffalo like Evans.Yea because Evans is making Nix look stupid by lighting up the stat sheet in B'More.

SABURZFAN
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM

Of course, we could use the franchise tag, but that seems like just way too much for Stevie. Thoughts?

The Old Fart isn't going to pay top money to franchise him.

kingJofNYC
12-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Yea because Evans is making Nix look stupid by lighting up the stat sheet in B'More.

My post was made in jest, but Evans did waste his prime years in Buffalo. Evans is older and not what he once was. He had ****ty QBs, if he played with a real one his numbers would've been much better.

Skooby
12-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Another guy that chokes during the biggest plays for the Bills, I've heard this song somewhere before.

clumping platelets
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
If he does not want to be here, then treat him like Price....franchise tag and trade him. I'll take Crabtree and a pick from SF

YardRat
12-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I think he'll walk also.

Buddo
12-06-2011, 07:34 PM
The irritation I have with all of this, is that the 'problems' are all of his own making.
He really needs to realize there are lines it's best not to step across.
What he could do with, is someone to actually take him to one side, and have a long, sensible, talk to, someone he innately respects, like a George Wilson (for example).
I don't think the kid is a wrong one, but he really does need to calm down a bit, and ensure his primary focus, is the game.

Whoever said that we can't be sure he cost us two games, is half right. He definitely cost us the Steelers game, as if he caught the football, it was a TD, in overtime, which simply equals a win. You can debate the Jest game as much as you like, but the fact was, if he had made the first catch, we would have been in great field position to score - not eventually struggling from 20+ yards away, against a very good secondary. Smith, Spiller or even Choice would have had a chance, and it would have altered the coverages.

Overall, I like the guy, and feel he's definitely worth trying to keep, but much will come down to his own demands I feel. I'd say he's probably worth the sort of money Sully was talking about the other day, around the $7 million mark. He's a pretty good WR, but not 'elite'. 'Elite' doesn't make the mistakes he has, in respect of catching the football.
He is however, very capable of making exceptional plays as well, hence being prepared to pay that sort of money.

Mahdi
12-06-2011, 08:57 PM
The irritation I have with all of this, is that the 'problems' are all of his own making.
He really needs to realize there are lines it's best not to step across.
What he could do with, is someone to actually take him to one side, and have a long, sensible, talk to, someone he innately respects, like a George Wilson (for example).
I don't think the kid is a wrong one, but he really does need to calm down a bit, and ensure his primary focus, is the game.

Whoever said that we can't be sure he cost us two games, is half right. He definitely cost us the Steelers game, as if he caught the football, it was a TD, in overtime, which simply equals a win. You can debate the Jest game as much as you like, but the fact was, if he had made the first catch, we would have been in great field position to score - not eventually struggling from 20+ yards away, against a very good secondary. Smith, Spiller or even Choice would have had a chance, and it would have altered the coverages.

Overall, I like the guy, and feel he's definitely worth trying to keep, but much will come down to his own demands I feel. I'd say he's probably worth the sort of money Sully was talking about the other day, around the $7 million mark. He's a pretty good WR, but not 'elite'. 'Elite' doesn't make the mistakes he has, in respect of catching the football.
He is however, very capable of making exceptional plays as well, hence being prepared to pay that sort of money.
I don't agree, Evans got 9 mil 4 years ago, which means Johnson is worth more due to the increase in salary across the league AND the fact that he is a better WR than Evans.

Meathead
12-06-2011, 09:51 PM
stevie isnt going anywhere

im telling you right now, the bills will offer him something reasonable for his skill set, most likely the same thing they already have, and they will just wait. if he doesnt sign they will franchise him, which he will hate because it offers him no security. after playing hurt all season he will realize he doesnt want to take that risk and has it pretty good here and will sign before the season starts

its gonna get uncomfortable for a spell but this is how it will ultimately play out

THATHURMANATOR
12-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Coach Sal also thinks he knows more football then everybody else.
Well he has a radio show so he must.

Novacane
12-07-2011, 07:48 AM
It will be the same way wherever he goes. Worse in some cities.

Coach Sal
12-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Coach Sal will tell you that players don't get affected by fan reactions.

You're right, I will.

But, heck, since you're around them so often, why don't you tell us what they feel and think about it?

Look, As I tried to explain to you, the players I've asked about that stuff more than often just shrug it off and laugh at some of the things they hear and read. In fact, most of them get FAR more support from fans than they do grief from them when they screw up. Even Stevie has.

Stevie loves Buffalo. His wife loves Buffalo. I know this. Even AFTER the Jets game talking with both of them I know this. I'm not trying to pull a "I know them and you don't" thing here, but if you want to call me out and take shots then I'm going to have to respond that way and defend myself.

The bottom line is this: IF SJ13 leaves, it will NOT be because of the fans!! It will be because of $$ one way or the other.

Coach Sal
12-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Well he has a radio show so he must.

See, there's just no need for stuff like this here.

I can lend insight into stuff for people here, but when I do, I'm just a blowhard on the radio, I guess?! OK. Can't win.

But that's ok, you keep giving stupid little condescending jabs. I'll keep doing my job.

Jan Reimers
12-07-2011, 08:37 AM
I think that Stevie will never be a superior receiver, and his tweeting, TD celebrations and other antics will just make his lack of consistency and mistakes in key situations appear that much worse.

If he shuts up and concentrates 100% on becoming a better player, he might end up being a pretty good receiver, rather than the brunt of jokes and media derision.

Coach Sal
12-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Coach Sal also thinks he knows more football then everybody else.

OK.

Feel better now?

Coach Sal
12-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Tell you what, Thurm.

If Stevie leaves, and either publicly or privately says, "it was because of the fans and the way they treated me," I'll be the first to come here, even start a thread stating how I think he's a coward AND you were completely right and I was wrong.

I have no issue with that.

But I don't see that happening.

jamze132
12-07-2011, 09:18 AM
:popcorn:

Ed
12-07-2011, 09:49 AM
stevie isnt going anywhere

im telling you right now, the bills will offer him something reasonable for his skill set, most likely the same thing they already have, and they will just wait. if he doesnt sign they will franchise him, which he will hate because it offers him no security. after playing hurt all season he will realize he doesnt want to take that risk and has it pretty good here and will sign before the season starts

its gonna get uncomfortable for a spell but this is how it will ultimately play out
I think the franchise tag is like $12 million guaranteed. That's a pretty decent amount of security for one season of football.

streetkings01
12-07-2011, 09:52 AM
My post was made in jest, but Evans did waste his prime years in Buffalo. Evans is older and not what he once was. He had ****ty QBs, if he played with a real one his numbers would've been much better.If Andre Johnson played with Brady his numbers would be better. If Evans was as good as people think he would've played well no matter who was throwing him the ball like Moulds did.

Ed
12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
If Andre Johnson played with Brady his numbers would be better. If Evans was as good as people think he would've played well no matter who was throwing him the ball like Moulds did.
I don't know. I don't think any WR could play well with Trent Edwards at qb. Evans played well with Bledsoe and Losman.

THATHURMANATOR
12-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Tell you what, Thurm.

If Stevie leaves, and either publicly or privately says, "it was because of the fans and the way they treated me," I'll be the first to come here, even start a thread stating how I think he's a coward AND you were completely right and I was wrong.

I have no issue with that.

But I don't see that happening.
Ok cool.

Calm down too no one is hating on you. I listened to your Chad Kelly interview Saturday. Good stuff.

I am simply saying that on a human level it HAS to bother him. He might in a sincere manner tell you that it doesn't. I also agree, and have always said that money is the deciding factor, but if all things are the same and we continue to be A holes to him on Twitter etc I could see it playing a part in him choosing to leave.

Coach Sal
12-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Ok cool.

Calm down too no one is hating on you. I listened to your Chad Kelly interview Saturday. Good stuff.

I am simply saying that on a human level it HAS to bother him. He might in a sincere manner tell you that it doesn't. I also agree, and have always said that money is the deciding factor, but if all things are the same and we continue to be A holes to him on Twitter etc I could see it playing a part in him choosing to leave.

Ok, so we're cool now? Bald-headed MB bros?! :)

Is that your dome in that sig pic?

You may ultimately wind up right. I heard the interview. He surprised me a bit. BUT I still don't think there's any way he leaves BECAUSE of the fans.

And thanks, Chad was cool. Gonna have him in the tv show next week, too, I think.

THATHURMANATOR
12-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Ok, so we're cool now? Bald-headed MB bros?! :)

Is that your dome in that sig pic?

You may ultimately wind up right. I heard the interview. He surprised me a bit. BUT I still don't think there's any way he leaves BECAUSE of the fans.

And thanks, Chad was cool. Gonna have him in the tv show next week, too, I think.
Of course!

I only give a hard time to those I love Sal

Agreed money is of course the main issue but all I was saying is people were being so ridiculous to him on Twitter it made me sick, and trust me I am fine with criticizing these guys.

Nice! Maybe someday he will be a Bill???? :D

Ed
12-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Of course!

I only give a hard time to those I love Sal

Agreed money is of course the main issue but all I was saying is people were being so ridiculous to him on Twitter it made me sick, and trust me I am fine with criticizing these guys.

Nice! Maybe someday he will be a Bill???? :D
Were all those people on twitter Bills fans though? I mean fans are a-holes everywhere. If he goes to another team and makes a mistake, but he's making $8-10 million instead of $800k or whatever he's making, those fans aren't going to be any nicer to him.

Extremebillsfan247
12-07-2011, 11:30 AM
If I had to take a wild guess at where Johnson could end up should he decide not to return to Buffalo, it would probably be either the 49ers, or Raiders. He's from the Bay area, big SF Giants fan, etc. Just makes sense in my opinion.

OpIv37
12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Ok cool.

So, Johnson can go on Twitter, which is a PUBLIC forum accessible to anyone, and blame God for the drop last year and refuse to take responsibility for the drop this year, but the fans aren't allowed to give him **** for it?

First, that's absurd. Second, this is Donte Whitner 2.0.

And once again, the utter stupidity of both Twitter and the people who use it is revealed.

THATHURMANATOR
12-07-2011, 01:28 PM
So, Johnson can go on Twitter, which is a PUBLIC forum accessible to anyone, and blame God for the drop last year and refuse to take responsibility for the drop this year, but the fans aren't allowed to give him **** for it?

First, that's absurd. Second, this is Donte Whitner 2.0.

And once again, the utter stupidity of both Twitter and the people who use it is revealed.
You are absurd.

OpIv37
12-07-2011, 01:33 PM
You are absurd.

The "I know you are but what am I?" comeback.

Nice.

THATHURMANATOR
12-07-2011, 03:24 PM
The "I know you are but what am I?" comeback.

Nice.
No it was the "you are absurd" comeback and it was a very appropriate one!

I win again!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

YardRat
12-07-2011, 05:07 PM
He'll leave because of money, but if he continues to catch grief from a lot of the fan base it will most certainly grease the skids. I can't see him taking less than what he perceives to be market value to stay in Buffalo, but I can see him softening the line a bit from another team to get out if the money from Buffalo is close to equal.

BillsFever21
12-07-2011, 06:59 PM
If he can't handle the criticism from the Buffalo fans or the media then there isn't many places he can hide out. I'd like to see him in the NY, Dallas, Philadelphia or other tough markets after the costly game-winning drops and penalties he has made over the past couple seasons.

He doesn't seem like he is very mentally tough and if he can't handle the comments in a small place like Buffalo then that is all the proof you need. Maybe he can go hide out in a place like Jacksonville where nobody cares either way.

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I think the franchise tag is like $12 million guaranteed. That's a pretty decent amount of security for one season of football.
Not even close. More like 9 million. If it was just based on this year, it would be 12,000,000. The new cba has franchise tags as the average of the top 5 wide receivers for the last 5 years. Ends up being around 9 million. Which I think is overpaying for a guy who can't catch the ball when it counts.

better days
12-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Not even close. More like 9 million. If it was just based on this year, it would be 12,000,000. The new cba has franchise tags as the average of the top 5 wide receivers for the last 5 years. Ends up being around 9 million. Which I think is overpaying for a guy who can't catch the ball when it counts.

Well, if Stevie doesn't want to be in Buffalo, I would tag & trade him like the Bills have done before with Peerless Price.

kingJofNYC
12-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Well, if Stevie doesn't want to be in Buffalo, I would tag & trade him like the Bills have done before with Peerless Price.

The Peerless trade was a one time thing, we ripped the Falcons off, what a heist. Teams don't want to pay a player via a long term contract and give up picks while doing so unless they're an elite talent.

Most you would get is 2nd round pick.

better days
12-08-2011, 09:45 AM
The Peerless trade was a one time thing, we ripped the Falcons off, what a heist. Teams don't want to pay a player via a long term contract and give up picks while doing so unless they're an elite talent.

Most you would get is 2nd round pick.

Well, I would take a 2nd rnd pick or whatever I could get over letting him walk for nothing.

kingJofNYC
12-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Well, I would take a 2nd rnd pick or whatever I could get over letting him walk for nothing.
I agree but I think a 2nd round pick is best case scenario, may be lower.

I'd rather tag and keep him for a year, unless we want more holes to fill in the offseason. If you ask me we need to go out and sign/draft another WR in the offseason to complement Steve.

Roscoe's a goner, so that just leaves Brad Smith and David Nelson as locks for '12. I have no faith in Jones, and Roosevelt is more of a slot guy, which we have in Nelson.

Ed
12-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Well whatever the exact number is, it's still all guaranteed. That was my point. That's still a decent amount of security for one season of football.

PromoTheRobot
12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/StevieJohnson13

His latest tweet: StevieJohnson13 Stevie Johnson California Dreamin'...

Guy sure gets homesick.

PTR

Ed
12-09-2011, 06:02 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/StevieJohnson13

His latest tweet: StevieJohnson13 Stevie Johnson California Dreamin'...

Guy sure gets homesick.

PTR
If you grew up in California and had to spend the winter months in Buffalo, you'd probably get homesick too.

BertSquirtgum
12-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Steve is a pussy.