X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Demon
    • Mar 2003

Pegula buys NFL agency firm

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Having spent hundreds of millions of dollars on hockey over the past year, Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula has turned his attention -- and deep pockets -- to the NFL and the player's side of the ball.
    The Pennsylvania billionaire expanded his sports empire on Tuesday by acquiring the Atlanta-based France AllPro Athlete Management, a high-profile NFL player agent firm headed by Todd France.
    "This was an easy decision for us," Pegula said in a release issued by both the Sabres and the firm. "We did extensive research to find the perfect fit. All of my resources had nothing but praise for Todd. His reputation among the elite NFL executives was phenomenal."
    AllPro represents more than 50 NFL players, including Baltimore running back Ray Rice, Kansas City receiver Dwayne Bowe and Buffalo Bills rookie first-round draft pick, tackle Marcell Dareus.
    It's estimated the firm has negotiated more than $1 billion in player contracts since 2005.
    France will maintain his role as the agency's president and CEO.
    Having spent hundreds of millions of dollars on hockey over the past year, Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula has turned his attention -- and deep pockets -- to the NFL and the player's side of the ball.

Whatever floats his boat. lol
    Last edited by Demon; 12-06-2011, 10:40 PM.
    Impossible is Nothing.

• BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Re: Pegula buys NFL agency firm

His first step towards the NFL.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

Save some money Pegs... we'll need a bailout after Ralph bites it.
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
        Actually I wonder if this would be an anti-step.

No way the NFL would approve an owner who also owned a NFL Rep Agency.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I'm not sure if this is really a good entree into the NFL. I would think he would have to divest himself of this agency if he were to try to buy the Bills.

Sorry, DB, didn't see your post.
          Last edited by Jan Reimers; 12-07-2011, 12:04 AM.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• THRILLHO
            This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy

Exactly. Who would hire an agent that is also the owner of the team you are signing with?
            True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              Legendary Zoner
              • May 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy

I'm thinking it gets his feet wet about the inner workings of the NFL, which is very smart on his part if that's why he did this. He could then sell it off if or when he wants to purchase the Bills.
              Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 12-07-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• hydro
                • Oct 2005

I'm thinking it gets his feet wet about the inner workings of the NFL, which is very smart on his part if that's why he did this. He could then sell it off if or when he wants to purchase the Bills.
                Yeah I don't think this is the ideal avenue to get his "feet wet" in the inner workings of the NFL. All he is getting experience with is the agent/player interaction.
                BERNIAC!

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

concur with this is not helpful for buying an NFL team. i have to think that investment is fairly illiquid. Not a lot of people wanting to buy an agency from someone else. and then if he did want the bills, he doesn't want that asset that can't be quickly sold sitting there as a condition of signing a team. it kills the value of the agency.

but then again, he probably isn't really that affected by the overall price of an agency firm compared to his total net worth.

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Pegula enjoys being in the loop in learning about players. When Dareus' name was mentioned during a casual meeting with The Associated Press in September, Pegula immediately pulled out his cell phone and texted an agent to learn more about the player.
                    Interesting. Almost seems like he just wants to become more familiar with the players of the NFL.

I think it's hard to say exactly how this affects the possibility of him buying an NFL team. Obviously if he holds onto it, his chances are nil of buying anyone. However, if he can sell it relatively easily, then I don't see this affecting anything. I believe most people didn't see Pegula as a realistic owner option anyway (despite what they hope for).
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by hydro
                      Yeah I don't think this is the ideal avenue to get his "feet wet" in the inner workings of the NFL. All he is getting experience with is the agent/player interaction.
                      I disagree, he will also get a feel for teams interactions with players & their agents.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days
                        I disagree, he will also get a feel for teams interactions with players & their agents.
                        Im not sure how much of that I would buy.

Let's keep in mind Player Agents and NFL Owners are not on the same team. Some of the agents got too involved in the last CBA battle and the owners haven't forgotten.

Asking the NFL BOG to approve an owner who is basically a friend of the agents is risking some negotiating in a future CBA.

Besides that as an owner of an agency firm I dont know that Pegula would have an interation with team/player and agent negotiations. He's not a NFLPA licensed agent so Im not sure how much of the interaction process he'll actually be a part of.

I want Pegula to be the next Bills owner but I can't see how this is a logical step in that direction.
                        Last edited by DraftBoy; 12-07-2011, 10:47 AM.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Cleve
                          • Oct 2004

If I were Terry, I'd stay focused on the Sabres right now instead of getting sidetracked by the NFL. When they can only get 14 shots on goal in 3 periods against the Predators, the team definitely needs additional help.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                          per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by hydro
                            Riiiight.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

He's already been financing an agency, somewhere out of the Carolinas I believe, and I think that one was absorbed into the new purchase.

Gonna be great when Pegula's agent plays hardball and Dareus walks after his rookie contract is up.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X