PDA

View Full Version : Pegula buys NFL agency firm

Demon
12-06-2011, 10:38 PM
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Having spent hundreds of millions of dollars on hockey over the past year, Buffalo Sabres (http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-sabres) owner Terry Pegula has turned his attention -- and deep pockets -- to the NFL and the player's side of the ball.
The Pennsylvania billionaire expanded his sports empire on Tuesday by acquiring the Atlanta-based France AllPro Athlete Management, a high-profile NFL player agent firm headed by Todd France.
"This was an easy decision for us," Pegula said in a release issued by both the Sabres and the firm. "We did extensive research to find the perfect fit. All of my resources had nothing but praise for Todd. His reputation among the elite NFL executives was phenomenal."
AllPro represents more than 50 NFL players, including Baltimore running back Ray Rice (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11289/ray-rice), Kansas City receiver Dwayne Bowe (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10467/dwayne-bowe) and Buffalo Bills (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills) rookie first-round draft pick, tackle Marcell Dareus (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13992/marcell-dareus).
It's estimated the firm has negotiated more than $1 billion in player contracts since 2005.
France will maintain his role as the agency's president and CEO.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7325044/buffalo-sabres-owner-terry-pegula-buys-nfl-player-agent-company

Whatever floats his boat. lol

BertSquirtgum
12-06-2011, 11:07 PM
His first step towards the NFL.

ServoBillieves
12-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Save some money Pegs... we'll need a bailout after Ralph bites it.

DraftBoy
12-06-2011, 11:24 PM

Actually I wonder if this would be an anti-step.

No way the NFL would approve an owner who also owned a NFL Rep Agency.

Jan Reimers
12-07-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure if this is really a good entree into the NFL. I would think he would have to divest himself of this agency if he were to try to buy the Bills.

Sorry, DB, didn't see your post.

THRILLHO
12-07-2011, 12:03 AM

Exactly. Who would hire an agent that is also the owner of the team you are signing with?

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2011, 12:07 AM

I'm thinking it gets his feet wet about the inner workings of the NFL, which is very smart on his part if that's why he did this. He could then sell it off if or when he wants to purchase the Bills.

hydro
12-07-2011, 06:35 AM
I'm thinking it gets his feet wet about the inner workings of the NFL, which is very smart on his part if that's why he did this. He could then sell it off if or when he wants to purchase the Bills.

Yeah I don't think this is the ideal avenue to get his "feet wet" in the inner workings of the NFL. All he is getting experience with is the agent/player interaction.

trapezeus
12-07-2011, 08:52 AM
concur with this is not helpful for buying an NFL team. i have to think that investment is fairly illiquid. Not a lot of people wanting to buy an agency from someone else. and then if he did want the bills, he doesn't want that asset that can't be quickly sold sitting there as a condition of signing a team. it kills the value of the agency.

but then again, he probably isn't really that affected by the overall price of an agency firm compared to his total net worth.

psubills62
12-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Pegula enjoys being in the loop in learning about players. When Dareus' name was mentioned during a casual meeting with The Associated Press in September, Pegula immediately pulled out his cell phone and texted an agent to learn more about the player.
Interesting. Almost seems like he just wants to become more familiar with the players of the NFL.

I think it's hard to say exactly how this affects the possibility of him buying an NFL team. Obviously if he holds onto it, his chances are nil of buying anyone. However, if he can sell it relatively easily, then I don't see this affecting anything. I believe most people didn't see Pegula as a realistic owner option anyway (despite what they hope for).

better days
12-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Yeah I don't think this is the ideal avenue to get his "feet wet" in the inner workings of the NFL. All he is getting experience with is the agent/player interaction.

I disagree, he will also get a feel for teams interactions with players & their agents.

DraftBoy
12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I disagree, he will also get a feel for teams interactions with players & their agents.

Im not sure how much of that I would buy.

Let's keep in mind Player Agents and NFL Owners are not on the same team. Some of the agents got too involved in the last CBA battle and the owners haven't forgotten.

Asking the NFL BOG to approve an owner who is basically a friend of the agents is risking some negotiating in a future CBA.

Besides that as an owner of an agency firm I dont know that Pegula would have an interation with team/player and agent negotiations. He's not a NFLPA licensed agent so Im not sure how much of the interaction process he'll actually be a part of.

I want Pegula to be the next Bills owner but I can't see how this is a logical step in that direction.

Cleve
12-07-2011, 11:51 AM
If I were Terry, I'd stay focused on the Sabres right now instead of getting sidetracked by the NFL. When they can only get 14 shots on goal in 3 periods against the Predators, the team definitely needs additional help.

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Riiiight.

YardRat
12-07-2011, 04:59 PM
He's already been financing an agency, somewhere out of the Carolinas I believe, and I think that one was absorbed into the new purchase.

Gonna be great when Pegula's agent plays hardball and Dareus walks after his rookie contract is up.

Beebe's Kid
12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Pegula doesn't have to worry about a thing, money wise. As long as he is allowed to keep destroying the state of PA he'll be able to dabble in as many multimillion dollar businesses as he likes. As long as PA has Corbitt, as gov, it'll be smooth, tax-free sailing for Pegs.

After all he is a job creator, and we'd hate to have him quit destroying Pennsylvania, because he was forced to pay taxes on his billions...and I am sure when the land is destroyed, he'll hang around and keep employing people because of all of the revenue the state was willing to take on the chin, while they cut money for useless programs, like education.

The good news is that he'll be amassing enough wealth to buy off enough legislators in NY, so the legacy can continue. I mean, who the **** needs drinking water, or other hippie **** like trees, anyway? When he buys the Bills, if we're lucky, maybe the water level of Lake Erie will rise, and we can just build a zillion dollar complex on the spot of Ralph, which will be our lakefront stadium!

He truly is an American hero.

I really don't give a **** if he owns the Sabres.

YardRat
12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
As long as he is allowed to keep destroying the state of PA he'll be able to dabble in as many multimillion dollar businesses as he likes.

That's been a concern of mine from the very beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we see another Rigas-type meltdown.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Pegula doesn't have to worry about a thing, money wise. As long as he is allowed to keep destroying the state of PA he'll be able to dabble in as many multimillion dollar businesses as he likes. As long as PA has Corbitt, as gov, it'll be smooth, tax-free sailing for Pegs.

After all he is a job creator, and we'd hate to have him quit destroying Pennsylvania, because he was forced to pay taxes on his billions...and I am sure when the land is destroyed, he'll hang around and keep employing people because of all of the revenue the state was willing to take on the chin, while they cut money for useless programs, like education.

The good news is that he'll be amassing enough wealth to buy off enough legislators in NY, so the legacy can continue. I mean, who the **** needs drinking water, or other hippie **** like trees, anyway? When he buys the Bills, if we're lucky, maybe the water level of Lake Erie will rise, and we can just build a zillion dollar complex on the spot of Ralph, which will be our lakefront stadium!

Do you ever say anything without that smarmy, condescending sarcastic tone? Pegula cashed out of that business several years ago. That's why he has the liquid assets to buy these sorts of things. He's not losing his money on it if it goes bust-- it's in Shell's hands now.

And destroying Pennsylvania? Most of PA, much like WNY, has been declining for decades. People apparently thought it was pretty much worthless up until they discovered this process. All this noise about "TOXIC CHEMICALS IN UR DRINKIN WATER!!!!11" is trumped-up nonsense brought on by an environmentalist bunch of NIMBYs who want to see this area economically destroyed as much as they say the drillers are out to destroy it environmentally. This population exodus is fine to them-- more space for their sprawling estates-- as long as they can tap into those rich Wall Street people in New York and the same types in Philly. I'm not buying it.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Oh, and while we're talking about Pennsylvania, remember, this is the same territory that was marked by a whole bunch of coal mines back in the 1800s and early 1900s. The drillers aren't destroying anything that hasn't already been done already.

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2011, 09:20 PM

I don't care what he did in or to Pennsylvania. I live in New York.

trapezeus
12-08-2011, 08:58 AM
interesting that the day of free agency when we were checking on richards etc, the state of new york allowed fracking to occur in western new york. I doubt he's completely out of gas and oil. he even said in his ownership speech, "if i wanted to make money, i'd drill another oil line" or something to that effect.

But the true genius, is that pegula is so much a sabre fan, he isn't ruining the environment for the sake of money. he's trying to weaken the powerhouse that is philly and Pittsburgh. What a diabolical long term strategy.