X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Bills sign TE, Fendi Onobun

Saw this on the official message board and double checked at bb.com. He was drafted in the sixth round by the Rams in 2010. Be warned that all the inane comments ("Superbowl!") and jokes ("He can do endorsements for McDonalds - On-o-bun") have already been made, so anything you do along that line is not likely to be original.

Onobun comes from a basketball background. He's 6'6" and 249lb. He runs a 4.45 40, outstanding for such a big guy, but does not have great acceleration off the line of scrimmage.

Also over on the official message board are all kinds of derogatory remarks about Buddy Nix over the signing. I posted and called posters out on that. As I said there, this is an injury driven signing. The team made the decision that it would be best not to play Lindell again this season and put him on IR leaving a roster space open. At this point in the season, you're not going to find someone with experience who has a whole lot left in the tank, let alone the star some naive fans expect the Bills to sign at this point. Buffalo's Scott Chandler is injured and not going to play Sunday. Buffalo figured it made sense to pick up a player who could step in and play if Chandler's injury lingers and either Causen or Smith get nicked up too. You'd still like to be able to run a 2 TE set if the circumstances call for it.

The kind of guy you're going to find at this point in time is a has been, or a young guy that couldn't hook up with somebody else long term. A lot of guys signed under such circumstances never amount to much, and Buddy Nix knows that as much as anyone. Some do. Nix signed Chandler under similar circumstances a year ago, and he's on the verge of setting a Bills record for receptions by a tight end in Buffalo if he can get back on the field this season. Nix also signed Urbik and several other contributors to the Bills this season, young guys who weren't making it elsewhere.

Like other Nix signings, Onobun has potential upside due to his athleticism. He's obviously not going to have an impact on the Bills this season other than possibly allowing Buffalo to go into their remaining games with a full range of possible offensive personnel packages. Nix is thinking ahead to next year and figures Onobun may be able to compete for a roster spot, and if they're lucky do much more down the road.

I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • clumping platelets

Re: Bills sign TE, Fendi Onobun

This is a young player they may have liked coming out of college and now have a chance to bring him in for a few weeks and see how he fits. I find nothing wrong with this addition

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

Me neither. I don't know how high the potential reward might be, but even if it doesn't pan out, there is zero risk.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

Knowing this team, he'll turn into a solid player... but then we'll draft another bum in round 1 and 2 this year.
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Cleve
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Crisis
          Knowing this team, he'll turn into a solid player once he's traded to another team.
          Fixed that for ya. LOL

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
          per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

At least when we get to the 'I give up' stage anybody that stubs a toe gets IR'd and some new guys are brought in for a look.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Terrific size and athleticism but he was very raw from what I recall. He played only one season of collegiate football at Houston. He had spent the previous four years on the Arizona Wildcats basketball team.

Has 2 career catches and a TD, but also blocked two XP's which speak to his athletic ability. He ran a confirmed 4.49 40 at his Pro Day in 2010. Was a hot riser late in the 2010 draft based on his size and timed speed. Was compared to Antonio Gates coming out but that was due more to basketball background than a similar skill set.

Drafted in the 6th Round by St. Louis he spent 2010 with them and 2011 with Jacksonville. 2 Career catches for 15 yards, though he did have two good preseasons. In 2010 he caught four passes for 64 yards, and in 2011 he caught five for 43. He didn't start any of those games so that was likely against mostly backups.

It's not a bad pickup, but considering how deep we are at TE right now (depending on Chandler injury) its interesting. He could certainly split out into the slot if need be and run routes from a WR position.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Some extra numbers per NFL Draft Scout:
                40-4.45
                20-2.69
                10-1.64
                Bench-16 Reps
                Vert-37.5"
                Broad-11'01"
                20 Yd Shuttle-4.15
                3 Cone-6.85

If he had been at the combine he could of had the 2nd best 40, 10th best bench press, 4th best vert, the best broad jump, the best 20 yard shuttle and the best 3 cone drill among the TE class that included Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Greshman, and Dorin Dickerson.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  Some extra numbers per NFL Draft Scout:
                  40-4.45
                  20-2.69
                  10-1.64
                  Bench-16 Reps
                  Vert-37.5"
                  Broad-11'01"
                  20 Yd Shuttle-4.15
                  3 Cone-6.85

If he had been at the combine he could of had the 2nd best 40, 10th best bench press, 4th best vert, the best broad jump, the best 20 yard shuttle and the best 3 cone drill among the TE class that included Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Greshman, and Dorin Dickerson.
                  But the big question is, can he play TE in the NFL?

Comment

• djjimkelly
                    • Apr 2003

sounds like the bills bought a hand bag

Comment

• djjimkelly
                      • Apr 2003

and i definitely dont have an issue with the signing just think guys like urbik small under the radar moves at this time last year are fixtures on our o line

dont know if i like the signing but like the thought process

i have faith in buddy he just needs time

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Terrific size and athleticism but he was very raw from what I recall. He played only one season of collegiate football at Houston. He had spent the previous four years on the Arizona Wildcats basketball team.

Has 2 career catches and a TD, but also blocked two XP's which speak to his athletic ability. He ran a confirmed 4.49 40 at his Pro Day in 2010. Was a hot riser late in the 2010 draft based on his size and timed speed. Was compared to Antonio Gates coming out but that was due more to basketball background than a similar skill set.

Drafted in the 6th Round by St. Louis he spent 2010 with them and 2011 with Jacksonville. 2 Career catches for 15 yards, though he did have two good preseasons. In 2010 he caught four passes for 64 yards, and in 2011 he caught five for 43. He didn't start any of those games so that was likely against mostly backups.

It's not a bad pickup, but considering how deep we are at TE right now (depending on Chandler injury) its interesting. He could certainly split out into the slot if need be and run routes from a WR position.
                        This is strictly a developmental signing. That he is as raw as a live cow is a given, though he's probably learned a couple of things bouncing around the league in the 19 months since he was drafted. By signing him now, he's got the entre offseason to digest the Billls' offensive playbook. He's still going to be raw when next season rolls around, but he might have enough work under his belt to have a chance for a roster spot. If he does that, he'll probably get on the field about as often as Lee Smith this season, which is to say not much at all unless somebody gets hurt. Still, with that kind of athleticism, there's nothing wrong with taking a chance on the guy. Caussin is a borderline guy anyway. If Onobun can play at all, it's not hard to figure out who he might replace.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                          • Jan 2010

Hopefully he shows something because it seems like the only good players the bills get are developmental ones. Then they let them walk

Comment

• Don't Panic
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Dec 2005

So aside for being a diehard Bills fan, I am a diehard Arizona basketball fan. Those are pretty much the only teams that I put on the highest pedestal.

I know Fendi well. He was a hell of an athlete for us but not much of a true basketball player. He's not built like Tony G and Gates... not as thick. He had minimal football experience coming out of U of A. When the Rams drafted him, I knew they were going to have to be patient and let him grow. I kind of figured he would have fizzled out by now, but apparently he's still trying to make it work.

I think he's definitely worth the minimal investment we're putting in to him. He may turn into a pretty decent pass catching TE. I can't imagine he'll ever be a blocking TE, but he could combo nicely with Chandler in a best case scenario. Take it for what its worth.

Comment

Working...
                            X