Is Chan Gailey calling out Buddy Nix and his players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Is Chan Gailey calling out Buddy Nix and his players?

I didn't realize what Gailey said until I heard them playing clips from the press conference on WGR this morning. Read these quotes and tell me he wasn't calling out Ryan Fitzpatrick, plus the defense and basically telling Buddy Nix that he doesn't have talent and needs to do his job better.....

Originally posted by Chan Gailey
    On how much the fake punt changed things --- "If you're a good football team, you have to overcome those things and we're not."

Does it come down to talent at some point? --- "I hate to admit that, because we got NFL players. I hate to say that's it. I want to say that with the players that we got, umm, I think we can be a RESPECTABLE football team. I don't know if we can be good right now, but we can be respectable."

On Ryan Fitzpatrick --- "At times, he misses some things he hit earlier in the season. I see that as well. I think he would say the same thing. Then I see him make a great throw right on the money down the sideline to Stevie on the go. I think it boils down to a consistency factor. I don't know what that is, because we were very consistent in the first part of the year."

On why the defensive blitzes don't work --- "That's always the question. If you think you can cover them, then you can blitz more to try to get pressure. If you don't think you can cover them 1-on-1, if you're struggling to cover 1-on-1, then you can't blitz. You got to try to sit back and hopefully the front 4, the 4-man rush will get there. That's always the question you ask yourself. Can your 4-man rush get enough pressure on there or do you have to blitz? We don't have that answer."

Do you feel like you got a demoralized team? --- "I think that umm, they are down, yes. I hate to go all the way to demoralized, but I think they are down. I think they don't have any confidence right now. I think we are fighting that right now as a football team. I don't think there's any question about that. I thought we were making progress after the last two football games. I did. I thought we were making some progress. Then we just played awful today."
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Re: Is Chan Gailey calling out Buddy Nix and his players?

Good stuff. I at least appreciate Chan's honesty. He's not really trying to hide anything or make lame excuses.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ed
      Good stuff. I at least appreciate Chan's honesty. He's not really trying to hide anything or make lame excuses.
      That's what I like about him. Dick Jauron would have said, they are trying and we just can't excute or something else lame.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

he should blame himself for the talent he has since he picked Fitz just like Jauron picked Trent.

We need corners who can win one on one. We had corners that did well in the zone D.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

I don't really think Chan is calling out Nix. Both Buddy & Chan said the Bills need 3 years time to get better players when they were hired.

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
            he should blame himself for the talent he has since he picked Fitz just like Jauron picked Trent.

We need corners who can win one on one. We had corners that did well in the zone D.
            Did he have a better alternative than Fitz?

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Michael82
              That's what I like about him. Dick Jauron would have said, they are trying and we just can't excute or something else lame.
              So you're having more fun watching a team coached by a guy with a 31% win percentage than you did watching a team coached by a guy with a 42% win percentage.
              Sorry, but I find it difficult to like anything about a coach who is losing close to 70% of the games he is coaching no matter how nice & honest he is in his press conferences.
              I'd rather have a guy like Bill Parcells or Bill Belichick who say nothing in their press conferences, get surly when they lose & win Super Bowls.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan

You'd rather see Thigpen in there?

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                  Will not tolerate vandalism.
                  • Apr 2006

I want to say that with the players that we got, umm, I think we can be a RESPECTABLE football team. I don't know if we can be good right now, but we can be respectable.
                  A money quote right there. If your coach comes out and says that this team doesn't have the talent to be good, there is a serious problem. But then again, dumping your best players on injured reserve is all his fault.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Did he have a better alternative than Fitz?

My point is that WGR is reading too much into what Gailey said that he might be sending a message to Nix about needing more talent because Chan himself put Fitz on a pedestal. Chan has pretty much made his bed at the qb position.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

I still like Gailey. I think he's straight up honest about what's happening. I agree they still need better talent, but with the team they have they still should be executing better than what they are, and he admitted that.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                        A money quote right there. If your coach comes out and says that this team doesn't have the talent to be good, there is a serious problem. But then again, dumping your best players on injured reserve is all his fault.
                        Houston is down to their 3rd QB, a 5th round rookie, lost their best defensive player & have had their best RB & WR miss games & all they do is keep winning.
                        Injuries are a part of the game but somehow it's always the Bills coaches who can never come up with the answer to overcome them. Every year this team gets devastating injuries and every year the fans use them as excuses for losing. The only excuse is that from the top down, this is a bad organization. We need a new owner, GM, coach & better players. Oh yeah-we could probably get a better water boy too.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                          You'd rather see Thigpen in there?

huh? I never said that. I for one was all for giving Fitz an extension. With the way he played early in the season no one could argue that he didnt deserve that extension. Just saying that Gailey can't tell Nix he needs some talent at some positions that Chan himself picked.
                          Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-12-2011, 10:41 AM.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Albany,n.y.
                            Houston is down to their 3rd QB, a 5th round rookie, lost their best defensive player & have had their best RB & WR miss games & all they do is keep winning.
                            Injuries are a part of the game but somehow it's always the Bills coaches who can never come up with the answer to overcome them. Every year this team gets devastating injuries and every year the fans use them as excuses for losing. The only excuse is that from the top down, this is a bad organization. We need a new owner, GM, coach & better players. Oh yeah-we could probably get a better water boy too.
                            Well, this goes to show what good players with good coaching can do. The Texans have a lot of talent & getting Wade to coach the defense made all the difference for that team.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                              Exactly! Good post.

Comment

Working...
                              X