PDA

View Full Version : We Need to Enter the Free Agent Market Big Time

Jan Reimers
12-12-2011, 11:16 AM
We probably won't, as long as Ralph is in charge, but the only thing that will turn this team around is a very serious foray into Free Agency. We simply have too little talent and too little depth to fill all of our holes through the draft.

The Bills will need to spend big money on good players. We just can't draft enough bodies to get anywhere near the level of our competition. Draft picks alone don't even make up for what we lose to age, injury, free agency, retirement, etc. every year.

It's obvious that we need a couple of pass rushers, a number 1 receiver, a cornerback, an O-lineman or two, and decent depth almost everywhere. If we want to get better quickly -and after 12 s**t years I would think we do - we can't do it all through the draft.

While in all likelihood we will continue to sit on the sidelines during the FA sweepstakes, filling a number of holes with quality free agents is the only thing that will prevent us from rebuilding every year, forever, as we have been doing.

Pinkerton Security
12-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Anyone have a link to a list of likely FA's next year?

Night Train
12-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Here's what could change things quickly.

1. An experienced DC with an actual plan. Putting players into positions of strengh with a good scheme.
2. A pass rushing DE/OLB.
3. QB

Bills could actually show some balls and select a QB like Barkley or RG III if they are sitting there when the Bills are on the clock.

Fitz threw about 3-4 really good passes yesterday and missed badly on 15 others that a decent QB would have completed. He's been figured out and his limitations don't allow him to do anything else.

So naturally, the Bills will instead select a WR or RB with scoliosis.

Jan Reimers
12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Here's what could change things quickly.

1. An experienced DC with an actual plan. Putting players into positions of strengh with a good scheme.
2. A pass rushing DE/OLB.
3. QB

Bills could actually show some balls and select a QB like Barkley or RG III if they are sitting there when the Bills are on the clock.

Fitz threw about 3-4 really good passes yesterday and missed badly on 15 others that a decent QB would have completed. He's been figured out and his limitations don't allow him to do anything else.

So naturally, the Bills will instead select a WR or RB with scoliosis.
I agree, NT, and would add a QB to my list. A 1st round QB would be great, but it bumps us down in getting an OLB, DE, WR, CB, etc. which we also need. I just don't think we can get our many holes filled through the draft, and need a serious infusion of FA talent to supplement it.

Lone Stranger
12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Your premise is fine but who wants to come here. However, it just might be possible to bring in a few good(not great) FAs who won't cost a fortune. But we have to keep what talent we have or we will just keep the current cycle going.

BertSquirtgum
12-12-2011, 12:04 PM
All the free agents of 2012.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/dl.html

Jan Reimers
12-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Your premise is fine but who wants to come here. However, it just might be possible to bring in a few good(not great) FAs who won't cost a fortune. But we have to keep what talent we have or we will just keep the current cycle going.
I'm not really sure that free agents don't want to come to Buffalo. I think it's more that Ralph doesn't want to pay what top free agents command.

But I totally agree that we need to keep whatever talent we have. I would just like to see our talent supplemented through free agency as well as the draft. Building almost exclusively through the draft has really put us well behind most other teams.

THATHURMANATOR
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
We need to hit on more free agents like Barnett who has been great for us..

Don't see much on that Futures list that intrigues me.

better days
12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
We need to hit on more free agents like Barnett who has been great for us..

I would love to see the Bills sign Mario Williams LB for the Texans, but I'm sure he will cost too much.

Garay NT for S.D., Pouha NT for the Jets, & Avril DE Lions intrigue me. I was surprised to see so many defensive players are going to be FA.

I think the Bills should at least be able to upgrade from what they have with some of these guys even if just for depth.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-12-2011, 02:30 PM
The problem, of course, is that most years, there aren't nearly enough free agents to fill all the holes on this team. Take, for instance, the Sabres last year. They signed three of the top four free agents out there (Ehrhoff, Regehr on D, Leino on O; the lone exception being Brad Richards) but still haven't improved much over last year. Consider that NFL rosters are more than twice the size of a hockey roster, and that'd be like half a dozen new top-line free agents. Although I know the dynamics are different in football than they are in hockey, you can see how futile trying to fill all the holes on a team through free agency can be.

YardRat
12-12-2011, 02:40 PM
We could use a couple of nice FA signings in key spots for sure, but as Night Train already mentioned a real DC would do wonders for this team.

BertSquirtgum
12-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Is that because you know the Bills would never make a play for them or because there seriously isn't one person you would want? Personally, if the Bills could afford it, there are five players I would like them to sign.

SABURZFAN
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
:roflmao:

sorry Jan but that would mean that The Old Fart would have to spend money. we all know he's not going to do that.

don137
12-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately the only one that truly cares about putting a winning product on the field are the fans. The owner does not care. He spends just enough to make it look like he is trying but the guy refuses to spend on a front office, scouting department, etc.
Next year, the same thread will appear when the Bills are out and how the Bills need to spend and what are the needs because between RW being cheap and terrible front office their is very little talent and depth.

unpaid_bills
12-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Totally agree Problem is big name FAs will be very reluctant to sign in Buffalo franchise and small market. We will be left to sign second fiddle or guys coming back from injury - that is the facts. We HAVE to draft better we need depth at almost every position.

Pass Rushers
OL
DBs
LBs
WR
QB

Not many bright spots on special teams with exception of a few. It is a daunting task for any coach for sure. Bills started off so well, then seem to regress every week. Coaches dont seem to have a clue or a plan to get better. Poor conditioning lots of injuries.

We need some Swagger and Attitude - that is the biggest disappointment for me. SJ , Freddie and Nick are the only ones I see the other guys literally just seem to be out there at least from what I see. Other guys Chandler, Nelson, Sheppard are some potential guys i see stepping up. Hatre

This is the THE MOST frustrating part. I know they are all professianals but it sure looks like many of the guys are just so beatdown, overmatched every week - there seems to be no sense of urgency especially when things go bad we just dont have enough playmakers bottom line. Poor and Mediocare at best coaching also doesnt help - with all that Yes i will still root for the Bills it is very frustrating

The Jokeman
12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
I would love to see the Bills sign Mario Williams LB for the Texans, but I'm sure he will cost too much.

Garay NT for S.D., Pouha NT for the Jets, & Avril DE Lions intrigue me. I was surprised to see so many defensive players are going to be FA.

I think the Bills should at least be able to upgrade from what they have with some of these guys even if just for depth.

Stevie Johnson is the most important UFA for the Bills. I've also mentioned in other threads I felt that guys like OLB John Abraham (as a nickel LB) and TE JerMichael Finley intrgue me. I could also see a guy like NT Aubrayo Franklin being a guy to look at as he has experience in a 3-4. If we're looking for a #2 WR with some size/speed guys to look at include Pierre Garcon, Robert Meachem, Early Doucett, Jerome Simpson are also worth a look. Devin Aromashodu and Andre Caldwell, Josh Morgan are also guys have on my radar if can't name any of the first list.

BertSquirtgum
12-12-2011, 06:00 PM
When does free agency start anyway?

BertSquirtgum
12-16-2011, 02:20 PM
when does free agency start?

YardRat
12-16-2011, 05:39 PM
when does free agency start?

Right about... (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=nfl+free+agency+period+2012)

madness
12-16-2011, 06:35 PM
March 13 at 4pm.

BertSquirtgum
12-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Didn't it used to start in february?

BertSquirtgum
12-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Right about... (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=nfl+free+agency+period+2012)

never tells you a date on there and i didn't want to have to read 10 articles to find out an answer.

madness
12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Didn't it used to start in february?

As close as you can get. Before this upcoming year, it was March 1 @ midnight.