PDA

View Full Version : Easley cleared to play again

mrbojanglezs
12-14-2011, 12:06 PM
What kind of heart ailments just go away?

Good news though

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/12/14/easley-to-be-cleared-to-play-again/

WR Marcus Easley had a medical condition at the start of the season that forced him to injured reserve ending his 2011 season. The receiver has chosen not to speak about his condition publicly, but* head coach Chan Gailey provided some indication Wednesday that he’d be able to play football again come 2012.

When asked if Easley, health-wise, would be cleared to play again Gailey answered in the affirmative.

“Oh yeah,” said Gailey. “Oh yeah, no question.”

While that’s certainly good news, Gailey was a bit vague in assessing Easley’s ability to play and be a member of this roster.

“That’s up to him,” said Gailey. “We’re going to give him every opportunity, but that’s up to him. Every player gets an opportunity, but what they do with that opportunity… that’s up to him.”

mysticsoto
12-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Interesting...I thought his football career was over...

Forward_Lateral
12-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know what was/is wrong with him?

Johnny Bugmenot
12-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Does anyone know what was/is wrong with him?
Yeah, it was "Chan Gailey likes to dump every player he can onto IR as an excuse to lose-itis."

Historian
12-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Heart murmurs.....guillaim-barre syndrome.....gout...lyme disease.

What is with this organization?

Figster
12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Thats awesome news!

streetkings01
12-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Roscoe also says he wants to be back so we can basically do this all over again next season. I like our WR core of Johnson, Parrish, Easley, Nelson, Jones and Roosevelt if they can all stay healthy for at least 3/4 of the season.

justasportsfan
12-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I like our WR core of Johnson, Parrish, Easley, Nelson, Jones and Roosevelt if they can all stay healthy for at least 3/4 of the season.

I don't. Thats a core of unproven, inconsistent players. We need proven players to start. Other than Stevie the others can be depth. If Stevie goes down from that list, we're screwed.

Oaf
12-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Roscoe also says he wants to be back

Where at?

DesertFox24
12-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Roscoe has been in BLO for the past 6 weeks like Easley.

Also BB.com posted some great news about Kyle Williams and Troup saying both should be 100% by May and ready to go for offseason.

Kyle I think we can expect to see his pro bowl form back and maybe even more since he actually can bend his ankle now.

Troup I am hoping for the best and crossing my fingers but I always worry about back injuries, lets just hope it is nothing serious and we can get him back because we need all the healthy bodies we can get.

I am also hoping the full offseason helps our young players develop and we get deeper via the draft and FA.

All in all I think most of us were waiting for the 2012 season to judge Nix and Gailey and I expect 500 or better, anything less then it is a coaching issue.

Granted if Fitz gets hurt early and on IR that could change my opinion, but he is the only player that this rule applies to.

madness
12-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Good to hear. I feel he could Easley be the most talented receiver on this roster.

trapezeus
12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
the guy with the heart issue joins the team that has shown no heart. awesome.

madness
12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Buffalobills.com spoke to Easley shortly after Gailey revealed that Easley’s playing career would continue and the receiver confirmed the positive development.

“At this point it’s definitely looking good,” Easley said. “The doctors gave me the okay. At this point I’m just working my way back to get back in football shape.”
Already cleared to do football related activities now, Easley has been at One Bills Drive for the better part of the last six weeks working out and running routes. He expressed confidence that he would be cleared to play football come next spring when the team returns for OTA workouts.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Easley-to-play-again/c8d6236f-b51c-42fb-aae1-8d598ff8cad1

Night Train
12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Once again, we are clinging to blind faith.

But WR is not a priority if they sign Steve Johnson. Pass rushing DE/OLB,QB & more front 7 help.

THRILLHO
12-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Interesting...I thought his football career was over...

He thought so too when he found out he was drafted by The Buffalo Bills.

Mr. Miyagi
12-14-2011, 09:27 PM
FINALLY some good news for this team. :bf1:

YardRat
12-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Next season's going to be his last shot in Buffalo, I hope he can make the most of it.

BLeonard
12-14-2011, 09:39 PM
What kind of heart ailments just go away?

Good news though

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/12/14/easley-to-be-cleared-to-play-again/

Well, I am 33 years old and have had 2 open heart surgeries in my lifetime (had one when I was 6 and another last year). While I'm not an expert or anything, I can tell you, I probably have a bit more experience with the human heart than most average people do.

First, I'm going to have to assume that, whatever his issue was, if the condition required surgery, it wasn't done by opening the chest, like my two were (hence the term "open heart surgery"). If they were, his career would almost 100% be over, as any shot to the chest could literally be deadly.

That tells me that they likely used one of two methods to solve the problem:

1: Medication. I've been on plenty on it in the past and I can tell you that, when you are on it (obviously depending on what you are on) it can really be an energy drainer. In most cases, it takes a fair amount of time to "balance" the medication and, until the correct balance is found, it is in most cases advised that the patient doesn't do any sort of activity that could be strenuous to the heart. Football would certainly fall under "stenuous to the heart."

2: If they did surgery, with medical advances, it's quite possible that it could have been done without opening the chest. I had multiple issues when they did my second surgery, but, in the event that some of those same problems arise again, it could be possible to go through a very small hole in the chest, through an artery in the leg, or a combination of the two.

My guesses would be:

1: He had some sort of irregular heart rhythm and needed medicine (or a balance of medicines) to correct it. Since they had no idea how long the meds would take to be "balanced," and they certainly wouldn't want him playing until everything was resolved, they IR'd him to be safe.

2: He could have had a bad heart valve and gotten it replaced by a similar method as described above and in this article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190348,00.html

Why would he want to keep it "undisclosed?" Well, in some instances, heart issues can be hereditary. I can see a person not wanting that to be known to the world.

Again, these are just my guesses, based on what I've gone through. Not saying any of them are the correct answer, but they would be my best guesses as to why Easley was IR'd and now, the story is that he'll "definitely" be able to play in 2012.

-Bill

Scumbag College
12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Easley played well in a preseason game and looked awful the rest of the time. Going into next season he's the #4 WR at best in a pretty lousy WR corps.

I'm glad his heart problem isn't serious enough to end his career. I wouldn't stake the success of the 2012 Bills WRs on this guy right now, however.

billsburgh
12-14-2011, 10:06 PM
this will be the Bills' excuse when they let Stevie walk away and not resign him.

Figster
12-15-2011, 12:09 PM
this will be the Bills' excuse when they let Stevie walk away and not resign him.

I sure hope not because this one step forward two steps back has got to stop.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-15-2011, 12:09 PM

No chance at all!

From what I understand, the issue between Stevie and the Bills is solely the level setting, as in top 5, top 10, top 15, top 20, top 25.

I'd think top 25 should be a good category to put him in but I guess Stevie's camp have a different view. It's hard to say Stevie is always open like Jerry Rice does without being overly strong or speed. Yet he can pull things like he did to Revis. He certainly does not have one trait like Evan's super good speed based routes, nor Eric Moulds type of physical strength winning close proximity battles all the time.