X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Erik Pears contract details

From Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News.....

Pears deal worth $9.3 million

The deal signed by Bills right tackle Erik Pears is worth a total of $9.3 million over the next three years, The News has learned. The extension keeps Pears in the fold through 2014. Pears will get $3.85 million guaranteed in the contract.

"I feel great," Pears said after practice today. "I’ve enjoyed my time here and I’m happy to be here for three more years, I couldn’t be more excited. ... I can’t thank the organization enough for giving me a real opportunity to get in there and show them what I could do. I feel I really took advantage of the offseason and came in prepared to do the job."
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • jimbohastle51
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Erik Pears contract details

That is such a great deal for the Bills for a starting RT!

Comment

• clumping platelets

Some of that is undoubtedly on the 2011 cap. Wish they would break it down more

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Very good deal. And if you were to add this past year into the mix...we'll have him for 4 yrs at a total $10 Mil. And Op is *****ing about that??? As many of us always say, some people ***** just to *****...

Comment

• tampabay25690
          • Feb 2004

Awesome deal.
          Glad he wants to be here and he has been a very nice addition to the OL..
          GO Gators!!!!!!
          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
            Will not tolerate vandalism.
            • Apr 2006

That's backup money. I'm thinking they will be in the market for a replacement next year...

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
              That's backup money. I'm thinking they will be in the market for a replacement next year...
              That's not backup money for Ralph & the Bills-See Hangartner. If Pears goes to the bench once there is no more guaranteed $, he goes to the street.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Albany,n.y.
                That's not backup money for Ralph & the Bills-See Hangartner. If Pears goes to the bench once there is no more guaranteed $, he goes to the street.
                Well, if Pears goes to the bench, I think he would be a much better backup than Hangartner would have been at his salary. Hangartner is a smart guy, but he is just not big or strong enough to play in the AFC East against guys like Wilfork & Pouha IMO.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Jul 2007

Great deal, good player, interesting situation.

I'm still a little confused as to why people are saying he's a backup when he's played as good or better than each player on our offensive line this season?

Thanks Coach, have been interested in the details since starting the thread the other day.
                  Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Buddo
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by better days
                    Well, if Pears goes to the bench, I think he would be a much better backup than Hangartner would have been at his salary. Hangartner is a smart guy, but he is just not big or strong enough to play in the AFC East against guys like Wilfork & Pouha IMO.
                    While that is probably true, I still believe we would have been much better off retaining Hangman - at least for this year.

I think Pears is a good signing, and will actually probably improve somewhat, as he knows where he is, and what he's going to be doing. While his play may have dropped off a little recently (whose hasn't?), he was undoubtedly one of our better linemen, early on in the season.
                    I like what he brings to the group as a whole tbh, as he also has experience at LT if push came to shove and someone went down.
                    I think the comments from the coaches about him, that he plays the down as he's supposed to, make a lot of difference in how he should be viewed. If all of the O-Line did that every play, they would be considerably better as an entity.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                      • Jul 2005

No that is not backup RT money.

Not many teams pay backups more than 1 million either.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                        Will not tolerate vandalism.
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DesertFox24
                        No that is not backup RT money.

Not many teams pay backups more than 1 million either.
                        They will once they have to start spending to the cap. But if this is starter money, they ought to be flogged. This team needs improvement, and if you only pay your RT $3M a year, that doesn't show a lot of value.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

They will once they have to start spending to the cap. But if this is starter money, they ought to be flogged. This team needs improvement, and if you only pay your RT $3M a year, that doesn't show a lot of value.
                          That doesn't make any sense. If Pears is fine with his contract, then how does that NOT show good value? His play WAY exceeded his contract this year and they rewarded him w/a 3 yr contract for it. If he's happy, that's all that matters. Maybe he's not a greedy person who values money above anything else. And that leaves the Bills more money to spend elsewhere - we need serious help on defense...

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

So if they paid him more he'd be a better value?

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

The report is 3.85 mil is guaranteed. i would think that the guaranteed money was paid in the form of a signing bonus this season because of our cap flex ability. if this is the case he cap hit the next 3 years will be pennies compared to other starting RT's in this league.

Comment

Working...
                              X