PDA

View Full Version : Why I feel Bills will go QB in first round if one of top 3 QBs available

don137
12-18-2011, 03:24 PM
It is all common knowledge the Bills were going to draft Cam Newton if he fell to #3 in the draft. He was taken so the Bills stuck with Fitz and not address QB since no one worthy of a pick. Fitz played well early in season and was given a contract extension with basically an out clause to cut him and not lose a whole lot. Since Fitz has sucked royally since contract extension it is apparent to everyone he is not the answer at QB. If they were willing to go QB at last year's draft the Bills brass have to be convinced more than ever that Fitz is not the answer and QB is a strong need.

Today's loss not only put them in better draft position for one of top 3 but was final nail in coffin for Fitz. Please note, I don't have anything against Fitz other than convinced he is not the answer for the Bills.

THATHURMANATOR
12-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Sounds good to me.

Novacane
12-18-2011, 03:27 PM
They have to go QB if they can get one of the top 3.

YardRat
12-18-2011, 06:19 PM
I'd still rather have a defensive player or offensive lineman.

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2011, 06:23 PM
I would rather the Bills draft a qb and find lineman in free agency.

cgbm
12-18-2011, 06:26 PM
THANK YOU.

and yardie would want to still go lineman.

because its obvious that our problem isnt fitz, its our line............

HMMMMMM

YardRat
12-18-2011, 06:29 PM
THANK YOU.

and yardie would want to still go lineman.

because its obvious that our problem isnt fitz, its our line............

HMMMMMM

Our offensive line sucks, and has all season.

Novacane
12-18-2011, 06:32 PM
We need so many things we may as well start with the most important position on the team.

YardRat
12-18-2011, 06:33 PM
We need so many things we may as well start with the most important position on the team.

Well, that would be LT :D

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Yepp. Quarterback is definitely the most important position on the team.

tampabay25690
12-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Yea RG3 or Barkley look good in a Bills uniform...

Cleve
12-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Yepp. Quarterback is definitely the most important position on the team.

Why do we fans know this, the columnists know this, the sports writers know this, the sports analysts know this, but yet somehow the management at One Bills Drive seems to think it isn't that important and hasn't made it a priority? Why did we waste so many years on Losman, Edwards, and now Fitzpatrick when none of them clearly had the talent to be top notch starting QBs?

The Bills have need for years to draft or hire via free agency a franchise QB and build the team around him.

That's the strategy that nearly every other successful NFL franchise has followed, but somehow the Bills think they can take a different road to success than everyone else. 13 seasons of FAIL proves otherwise.

Philagape
12-18-2011, 08:26 PM

Fitz has played far worse than the line during the collapse.

X-Era
12-19-2011, 05:29 AM
They have to go QB if they can get one of the top 3.I'm convinced one of the top 3 will be there; I think we will pick at 7. But, I'd be shocked if we took one. I can't see us dropping that much coin into a position where only one will play.

YardRat
12-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Fitz has played far worse than the line during the collapse.

Can't argue against Fitz sucking as well.

Buddo
12-19-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm convinced one of the top 3 will be there; I think we will pick at 7. But, I'd be shocked if we took one. I can't see us dropping that much coin into a position where only one will play.

That's the thing, it's not going to be inordinately expensive, with the new rookie cap - especially when the Bills could cut Fitz after next year, and save a whole bunch of dough. It would be for one year.

We will probably beat the Broncos next week though, and stuff it all up once again.

DraftBoy
12-19-2011, 07:28 AM
It's either QB or LT for me at this point.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-19-2011, 07:44 AM
im cheering for a tebow magic day and belicheck getting even for the bills embarassing him early in the season

RedEyE
12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
I think they must go for a QB if available. A decent functioning QB would have had this team winning more games than what Fitz was able to produce.

I know the defense is in a bad situation but I think some of this can be rectifyied with a good coach.

QB in the 1st round. Fill in the blanks with the FA. Time to pay for these ****ing guys to come in!!!!!

better days
12-19-2011, 07:54 AM
That's the thing, it's not going to be inordinately expensive, with the new rookie cap - especially when the Bills could cut Fitz after next year, and save a whole bunch of dough. It would be for one year.

We will probably beat the Broncos next week though, and stuff it all up once again.

Well, even if the Bills don't win another game, I would be very surprised if one of the top 3 is available when the Bills pick.

Luck will be gone for sure with the 1st pick. That leaves 2 QB's from the 2nd pick to where the Bills pick.

If one of the two are there however, I am all for the Bills taking him.

The King
12-19-2011, 07:56 AM
I'd still rather have a defensive player or offensive lineman.

Agreed. A good Qb isnt going to do much if we still suck everywhere else. Build the foundation insert the QB. Just ask Sam Bradford about a team drafting a QB with no talent around him.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-19-2011, 08:00 AM
I think or offensive line did a pretty decent job this year its def not the weakness its been in the past

Mr. Pink
12-19-2011, 12:12 PM
We won't be drafting QB in Round 1.

No chance.

justasportsfan
12-19-2011, 12:46 PM
We won't be drafting QB in Round 1.

No chance.

When Nix was at SD, they took Rivers even when Brees was arguably playing better than the way Fitz is playing now.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2011, 01:00 PM
When Nix was at SD, they took Rivers even when Brees was arguably playing better than the way Fitz is playing now.

Has nothing to do with it.

It's all about the money.

You don't sign a guy one month for BIG money then 6 months later go out and get a guy to replace him also signing him to BIG money.

If you have almost 18 million tied to the QB position and you don't have Brady, Brees or Manning...your management is a colossal failure and is inept.

Not to mention the fact it takes away from upgrading various other holes this team has, like for example, most of the defense.

justasportsfan
12-19-2011, 01:06 PM

You don't sign a guy one month for BIG money then 6 months later go out and get a guy to replace him also signing him to BIG money.

If you have almost 18 million tied to the QB position and you don't have Brady, Brees or Manning...your management is a colossal failure and is inept.

Not to mention the fact it takes away from upgrading various other holes this team has, like for example, most of the defense.

NIx is all about fanchise qb. If he's there and add the way Fitz is playing I can see Nix pull the trigger.

DynaPaul
12-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Sure, go for a QB if an awesome one is available but the rest of the draft picks better be spent on shoring up the lines.

better days
12-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Well, Fitz was not signed for BIG money, he was signed for AVERAGE starter money. He was playing under a back up QB contract prior to the new deal.

And a first rnd draft pick is not BIG money anymore either.

cgbm
12-20-2011, 10:35 AM

SAFE TO SAY FITZ SUCKS WAY WORSE.....

cgbm
12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Agreed. A good Qb isnt going to do much if we still suck everywhere else. Build the foundation insert the QB. Just ask Sam Bradford about a team drafting a QB with no talent around him.

riiiight......

the rams went from 1-15 in 09, to 7-9 in 10.

just ask the rams. they went from setting worst records to relevent.

grantid they suck this year. but stil are already better than 09. so they put a good qb on a team and build around him.

just ask the colts. they went from garbage. to great by adding a qb and building around him.
they also show that when you have a great qb you dont need to have anything else. hahahha. kinda a joke.

cgbm
12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
btw

this is my favorite thread.

manly because FINALLY most people are agreeing that we need a qb early.

i love you all.....

OpIv37
12-20-2011, 10:54 AM
This thread is a perfect example of why this team will never win. The incompetent FO is constantly spinning their wheels. They rarely pay players, and when they do, they pay the wrong guys.

We just gave a big contract to a QB a month ago. We shouldn't even have to consider a QB in the draft, especially with all the other holes on this team.

But, the incompetent FO paid a bad QB, and less than a month later, going QB in the draft makes sense- at least enough sense that we are discussing it.

It's ridiculous. This team just keeps trying and failing to address the same positions over and over again.

k-oneputt
12-20-2011, 10:59 AM
This thread is a perfect example of why this team will never win. The incompetent FO is constantly spinning their wheels. They rarely pay players, and when they do, they pay the wrong guys.

We just gave a big contract to a QB a month ago. We shouldn't even have to consider a QB in the draft, especially with all the other holes on this team.

But, the incompetent FO paid a bad QB, and less than a month later, going QB in the draft makes sense- at least enough sense that we are discussing it.

It's ridiculous. This team just keeps trying and failing to address the same positions over and over again.

I would say that about covers it.
Twelve years and counting. Maybe the scouting dept. will have one of their gems lined up from the Sunbelt Conf. to come in and save the day.

better days
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Nix & Gailey have both said repeatedly that if a Franchise QB is available, the Bills will draft him regardless of Fitz. They know Fitz is not the long term answer but resigned him to a REASONABLE contract because he is the SHORT TERM answer.

DraftBoy
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Nix & Gailey have both said repeatedly that if a Franchise QB is available, the Bills will draft him regardless of Fitz. They know Fitz is not the long term answer but resigned him to a REASONABLE contract because he is the SHORT TERM answer.

Saying is one thing, doing is another. Some would argue there was a franchise QB available last year they passed.

better days
12-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Saying is one thing, doing is another. Some would argue there was a franchise QB available last year they passed.

I assume you are referring to Dalton. He has been a pleasant SURPRISE for the Bengals but he was not rated to go as high as #3.

If the Bills drafted him, MANY people on this board would have been screaming. I am HAPPY the Bills took Dareus last year myself at #3.

As bad as the Bills defense looks, it would look much worse without Dareus now & next year with a more experienced Dareus, a healthy Kyle Williams & a couple more defensive players added, the Bills defense will look much better.

Cleve
12-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Paul Hamilton RIPPED on the Nix-Gailey regime today for both drafting Spiller in the first place, and then using him sparingly the way they have;

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/11761133.php?contentType=4&contentId=9594609

The senseless drafting of Spiller when we already had two decent running backs is just another symptom of the deep-rooted organizational problems this team has. Like Paul Hamilton, I couldn't understand wasting a draft pick at that critical time on an R.B. when there other far more pressing needs.

It will NEVER get much better until the front office is fixed. And I just don't see that happening. And with the Spiller draft, was that REALLY a Nix/Gailey decision, or was it Ralph Wilson Jr once again incompetently meddling in football operations?

stuckincincy
12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I assume you are referring to Dalton. He has been a pleasant SURPRISE for the Bengals but he was not rated to go as high as #3.

If the Bills drafted him, MANY people on this board would have been screaming. I am HAPPY the Bills took Dareus last year myself at #3.

As bad as the Bills defense looks, it would look much worse without Dareus now & next year with a more experienced Dareus, a healthy Kyle Williams & a couple more defensive players added, the Bills defense will look much better.

CIN, as well as SEA (afaik) had serious hots for Dalton. Especially CIN - they all but telegraphed it. Not a 1st pick for CIN, but I read somewhere where SEA regretted not picking him at #25 - I chalk that up as sour grapes.

Nobody would have picked him at #3 overall. When Dalton was available in the 2nd round - bingo.

Dareus was a good pick - you have the opportunity to grab a top-rated DL or OL, you pull the trigger. Green and Petersen have had nice rookie seasons. They may go on to have decent careers.

Could Dareus be a bust? Sure - all picks can be. The board would have indeed gone nuts if they picked (yet) another cb at that spot, after their predilection for drafting tons of dbs over the past several years.

DraftBoy
12-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Im not referring to any one QB. Just saying that the Bills can say whatever they want, it doesn't mean ****.

OpIv37
12-20-2011, 12:00 PM

hence the problem. There is NEVER a long-term answer at any position.

Was Lee Evans supposed to be the long-term answer at #1 WR? We gave him a reasonable contract. Well, he never really lived up to his billing as #1 WR and now he's gone.

Was Willis McGahee supposed to be the long-term answer at RB? What about Marshawn Lynch when we took him in the 1st round 4 years later, or CJ Spiller two years after that? That's 3 RB's in the 1st round in 7 years.

Drayton Florence, Leodis McKelvin, Chris Kelsay- the list goes on and on. This team is made up of guys who either never lived up to the hype, or who were signed to be short-term answers that ended up making careers out of mediocrity.

Fitz is the same way, and if we sign Stevie Johnson, he'll be the same way too.

Seriously, what long-term answers do we have on this team right now? Kyle Williams, Dareus, Wood (if he can stay healthy), Levitre, jury's still out on Aaron Williams and Justin Rodgers, arguably Byrd. That's it. At best, we have quality starters who will be around for a while at 7 of 22 positions, and the current FO inherited 3 of them.

Ickybaluky
12-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Maybe they should have take John Skelton instead of Ed Wang in the 2010 draft, LOL.

better days
12-20-2011, 07:30 PM
hence the problem. At best, we have quality starters who will be around for a while at 7 of 22 positions, and the current FO inherited 3 of them.

This is the PROBLEM. ONLY 3 quality starters were here when Nix was hired. It will take time to build an ENTIRE roster which Nix must do.