PDA

View Full Version : 2 Positives: Justin Rogers and CJ Spiller

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2011, 08:10 AM
I don't care to talk about the loss, or how anybody else played. These two are impressing the hell out of me. Rogers looks like he's going to be the return threat the Bills have missed since McGee was returning kicks and Parrish punts.

CJ, to me anyways, is proving that he can be a legitimate running back in the NFL. He's not a gadget back. He looks just as dangerous, at times, as FJ did early this season. Spiller still has a lot to learn about getting down hill faster, but he looks eons better than he did last season. He might not be such a bust afterall.

Pinkerton Security
12-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Ill agree with this, for sure. Spiller has looked much much better, which is a good sign. I just hope they dont take this sign as "oh lets allow Freddie to walk".

Rogers and Aaron Williams have both been around the ball a lot, Williams had another shot at a pick yesterday, but needs to capitalize on those opportunities as it seems hes let a couple picks slip through his hands.

psubills62
12-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Rogers is also one of the only CB's I've seen on our team who undercuts routes. Williams did it once yesterday as well, but Rogers did it multiple times as soon as he got playing time.

And yeah, Spiller is showing everyone why they drafted him. Kid looks pretty good.

zone
12-19-2011, 08:25 AM
I don't care to talk about the loss, or how anybody else played. These two are impressing the hell out of me. Rogers looks like he's going to be the return threat the Bills have missed since McGee was returning kicks and Parrish punts.

CJ, to me anyways, is proving that he can be a legitimate running back in the NFL. He's not a gadget back. He looks just as dangerous, at times, as FJ did early this season. Spiller still has a lot to learn about getting down hill faster, but he looks eons better than he did last season. He might not be such a bust afterall.
Agreed and I am going to add Williams to that list.

I also have been pleasantly surprised by the fire Choice has played with.

psubills62
12-19-2011, 08:30 AM
However, now that they've shown promise, they'll get some season-ending injuries next year and completely suck after that.

mysticsoto
12-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Ill agree with this, for sure. Spiller has looked much much better, which is a good sign. I just hope they dont take this sign as "oh lets allow Freddie to walk".

Rogers and Aaron Williams have both been around the ball a lot, Williams had another shot at a pick yesterday, but needs to capitalize on those opportunities as it seems hes let a couple picks slip through his hands.

The better Spiller looks the more I can guarantee you that they let Freddie walk (they really didn't want to sign him anyway and are just looking for any excuse).

And you know what that means, right? Belichek will scoop him up immediately as he's always been impressed with FJ. The Patriots with a real RB, Brady top TEs and likely a revamped defense in '12 (if I'm them I'm drafting almost exclusively for def) and the Patriots likely glide into playoffs next year without a loss.

Night Train
12-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Spiller needs to wait a moment for his blocks, then make a cut. If he ever learns that, he'll be dynamite.

He goes by people like they're standing still.

Rogers does indeed look like a positive in both CB and returns.

DesertFox24
12-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Yeah I really thought Aaron williams and Rogers are playing better every week. They have the potential to be really good corners for us. Now if we could just get two more good ones.

Dareus played well, and I firmly believe once we get williams back he will be a force.

Sheppard did some good things as well.

I know Pears got abused yesterday hopefully that was just a bad game. How did Bell and Hairston look. I know Hairston had the false start, but how did he do in blocking?

Also was there any real difference between Hairston and Bell? Who was better, please be honest.

Ickybaluky
12-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Spiller definitely looks the part, and is benefitting from the playing time he is getting. You can't coach speed, and he brings that to the game. He adds an explosive dimension to the offense that is lacking elsewhere, and teams needs to respect that.

I don't think they should get rid of Jackson, though. That's just dumb. Nothing the matter with having 2 good backs.

Ed
12-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't know why people are saying that they're going to let Freddie walk. He's still under contract for 2 more years. He's not going anywhere whether he likes it or not.

mikemac2001
12-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't know why people are saying that they're going to let Freddie walk. He's still under contract for 2 more years. He's not going anywhere whether he likes it or not.

Because people believe everything that is posted on a message board, and don't look at facts.

DraftBoy
12-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Rogers is also one of the only CB's I've seen on our team who undercuts routes. Williams did it once yesterday as well, but Rogers did it multiple times as soon as he got playing time.

And yeah, Spiller is showing everyone why they drafted him. Kid looks pretty good.

Kid had a lot of picks in college and I said when we drafted him he has a nose for the ball.

tomz
12-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Spiller needs to wait a moment for his blocks, then make a cut. If he ever learns that, he'll be dynamite.

He goes by people like they're standing still.

Rogers does indeed look like a positive in both CB and returns.
Spiller did just that in setting up one of the screen plays. You could see him hesitate until Levitre slid out.

Now if they would just run the ball more than 10 times a game....

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Spiller did just that in setting up one of the screen plays. You could see him hesitate until Levitre slid out.

Now if they would just run the ball more than 10 times a game....

It's tough to run when you are losing for most of the game.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Or when your idiot linemen get penalties and put you in 2 and 20 instead of 2nd and 4.

mysticsoto
12-19-2011, 11:43 AM

Yes, actually, I made a mistake. He's signed thru next year and is a UFA afterward...This season is almost done so he has 1 more year to go.

better days
12-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Yes, actually, I made a mistake. He's signed thru next year and is a UFA afterward...This season is almost done so he has 1 more year to go.
And he will be 32 years old after next year. That seems to be the age most RBs hit the wall.

mysticsoto
12-19-2011, 01:52 PM
And he will be 32 years old after next year. That seems to be the age most RBs hit the wall.

Except that he started later in his career and b'cse of his elusive style, he really hasn't taken the typical hits that a RB normally takes...

SquishDaFish
12-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Totally agree and I would add Williams to that list.

better days
12-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Except that he started later in his career and b'cse of his elusive style, he really hasn't taken the typical hits that a RB normally takes...

True & because of that he may have less wear & tear on his body but a 32 year old body does not heal as fast as a 25 year old body does.

Any NFL player or anyone that does physical work for that matter will tell you you feel the aches & pains for a longer period the older you get.

YardRat
12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm liking what Rogers has shown the last couple of weeks, both in coverage and on 'teams.

This quote from Gailey regarding Spiller is a little troubling, although not at all surprising to some of us...

http://observertoday.com/page/content.detail/id/566689/Offense-seems-to-take-step-back--with-each-passing-week.html?nav=5010

"He is not the biggest back in the world and I don't think he can go out there and carry it 25-30 times. I don't want to put him in that position right now to carry it 25-30 times. I think we have to split the carries to take some of the hits off of C.J."

Even Chan doesn't think CJ is an every-down back at this point. Hopefully that bodes well for us getting another 2-3 seasons out of Freddie before he hits the wall.

psubills62
12-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Kid had a lot of picks in college and I said when we drafted him he has a nose for the ball.
He really does. I'm hoping he continues to grow and anticipate well, even when teams start using double moves against him. I remember McKelvin showing promise, then he just started getting burned all the time when teams figured out what worked against him (sluggo for TD I remember, but can't remember against who).

Honestly, I'm just sick of all our DB's sitting back and "keeping everything in front of them," i.e. letting teams pass all over them. I loved seeing Rogers follow the route, kick the extra gear and cut under the receiver while knocking the ball away.

djjimkelly
12-19-2011, 03:10 PM
The better Spiller looks the more I can guarantee you that they let Freddie walk (they really didn't want to sign him anyway and are just looking for any excuse).

And you know what that means, right? Belichek will scoop him up immediately as he's always been impressed with FJ. The Patriots with a real RB, Brady top TEs and likely a revamped defense in '12 (if I'm them I'm drafting almost exclusively for def) and the Patriots likely glide into playoffs next year without a loss.

freddy is a real nice story and has played great IMO but he is on the wrong side of 30 and is truly not part of our future CJ is.

letting freddy walk is the right move

what would u rather see the bills pay freddy and not steve johnson or not pay someone FA at a position of need.

freddy is NEVER gonna get paid by the bills

YardRat
12-19-2011, 06:17 PM
freddy is a real nice story and has played great IMO but he is on the wrong side of 30 and is truly not part of our future CJ is.

letting freddy walk is the right move

what would u rather see the bills pay freddy and not steve johnson or not pay someone FA at a position of need.

freddy is NEVER gonna get paid by the bills

Pretty sure they could pay Freddie and Stevie and still be decently active in FA.

Beebe
12-19-2011, 07:59 PM
CHAN ***ked up by saying he's not a every down back, that sucks for SPILLER to know that your coach doesn't think your good enough,but think he's shown us BILLS fans that he's not a bust and we fans know that CJ'S playing well and were all starting to like him but CHAN's all in love with his ex player from college,it's almost like he's trying to force him into the team.It's frustrating that when us the fans like a player and we see that he is a good player, the coach's never like him.It wasn't fair that he only had 8 carries in the first half, and he finished the game with twelve. When we think he should have gotten the ball more, and even the reporters think so as well. As for Rogers, he has a lot of potential, more than Corner will ever have.

djjimkelly
12-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Pretty sure they could pay Freddie and Stevie and still be decently active in FA.

the contract freddy would demand id rather see it spent on 1 other piece we cannot have 15 mil wrapped up in rbs

madness
12-19-2011, 09:29 PM
I think Gailey just expects Spiller to work harder on his weaknesses. All the good Spiller did yet he still missed a critical blitz pickup which led to an INT.

Spiderweb
12-20-2011, 01:50 PM

It still doesn't change his age.... Father Time grants extremely few extensions.