PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Johnson Contract

Lone Stranger
12-20-2011, 09:59 AM
A lot of fans are unwilling to give Stevie a #1 contract and that is a true dilemma. However, I see little choice in the matter since the Bills have little else to offer on the receiver front. And please don't insult me with the likes of Parrish and Easley. I do have a twist on this.

Recently, it was reported that the NFL's TV contract had increased 60% for the following 10 years beginning in 2014, if I am correct. That, of course, means the salary cap will increase in a like manner. I am proposing the Bills give Stevie a 5 year $50 miilion contract backloaded with reachable incentives beginning in the 2014 year. That way they can control the cap hit for 2012 and 2013 and push more $ forward.

I don't think it would take a genius to structure this contract and, besides, the contracts are going to substantially escalate in the future.

Mahdi
12-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Stevie should get his #1 WR contract, period.

He is a #1 WR, his numbers show that, and if Fitz wasn't having a horrible second half of this season, Stevie's numbers would be much much better.

Just look at how many times Fitz has had Stevie open on plays down the field this year and missed... that's like 4 or 5 easy TDs.

Stevie needs to be paid and anyone who says otherwise has no clue. Calvin Johnson or Roddy White are not coming to Buffalo next year so pay the man and lets actually add another good player on the roster without having to fill another.

What Stevie needs is a complimentary WR on the other side that has big time speed.

TacklingDummy
12-20-2011, 10:12 AM
I am so tired of the Bills sucking that I don't even care if they pay this semi talented clown.

OpIv37
12-20-2011, 10:20 AM

He is a #1 WR, his numbers show that, and if Fitz wasn't having a horrible second half of this season, Stevie's numbers would be much much better.

Just look at how many times Fitz has had Stevie open on plays down the field this year and missed... that's like 4 or 5 easy TDs.

Stevie needs to be paid and anyone who says otherwise has no clue. Calvin Johnson or Roddy White are not coming to Buffalo next year so pay the man and lets actually add another good player on the roster without having to fill another.

What Stevie needs is a complimentary WR on the other side that has big time speed.

What about Stevie's drops? What about the way he didn't fight for that INT along the sidelines?

Being a #1 WR is about more than just numbers.

Think about this: we've had Stevie for the last two years and it's gotten us nowhere. I realize there is a steep dropoff at WR on this team after Stevie, but he has proven that he can't get the job done when it counts the most.

The Bills will pay Stevie because they simply have no choice. The FO has created a situation where there are no good options, and paying Stevie is the "least bad" option. But this team will continue to lose, and one reason why will be relying on Stevie as the team's #1 WR.

cgbm
12-20-2011, 10:23 AM

how many times has stevie dropped the game winning TD. this and last year combined?

TOOOO MANY

Mahdi
12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
What about Stevie's drops? What about the way he didn't fight for that INT along the sidelines?

Being a #1 WR is about more than just numbers.

Think about this: we've had Stevie for the last two years and it's gotten us nowhere. I realize there is a steep dropoff at WR on this team after Stevie, but he has proven that he can't get the job done when it counts the most.

The Bills will pay Stevie because they simply have no choice. The FO has created a situation where there are no good options, and paying Stevie is the "least bad" option. But this team will continue to lose, and one reason why will be relying on Stevie as the team's #1 WR.
Wow,,, 2 big drops in two years... its not like he drops the ball on a consistent basis.

How many times has he caught a TD to take a lead in a game?

And that INT along the sideline was an underthrown ball from Fitz. He was supposed to lead him with that throw, he underthrew it and Stevie clearly couldn't get back fast enough to make a play on it because the defender had inside position.

Its fans like you that deserve a loser in Buffalo. Even the bright spots of our team are criticized.

cgbm
12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Wow,,, 2 big drops in two years... its not like he drops the ball on a consistent basis.

And that INT along the sideline was an underthrown ball from Fitz. He was supposed to lead him with that throw, he underthrew it and Stevie clearly couldn't get back fast enough to make a play on it because the defender had inside position.

Its fans like you that deserve a loser in Buffalo. Even the bright spots of our team are criticized.

he did it more than twice in two years.

he missed two in the same game.

how many times has other no 1s done it. megatron, fitzgerald, marshall, holmes...etc????????

NOT MANY OR NONE

OpIv37
12-20-2011, 02:16 PM

First, he's had more than 2- those were just the most memorable.

Second, they're the only 2 clutch catches he had to make, and he failed both times. Once again, you are looking at pure numbers and not at the actual situation.

Yes, Fitz definitely underthrew the ball, but Stevie was right there when the DB jumped for it and backed off. It was Fitz's fault but Stevie showed zero effort to even attempt to do anything about it. There is no excuse for EVER showing zero effort.

lmao- it's fans like you who deserve a loser because in your twisted, mediocre world, Stevie Johnson is a "bright spot." I expect more from my team. This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity. And for that, you earn the Krusty brand Seal of Approval:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_45PrdFm2YQw/SjtkffahNMI/AAAAAAAAACY/m_2Op0QgF6U/s200/800KrustySealOfApproval2007.jpg

Mahdi
12-20-2011, 02:16 PM

how many times has other no 1s done it. megatron, fitzgerald, marshall, holmes...etc????????

NOT MANY OR NONE
Really, then why is Roddy White leading the league in dropped passes? Don't see ATL fans calling for his head.

Pinkerton Security
12-20-2011, 02:18 PM

NOT MANY OR NONE

marshall dropped 2 TD's against us...so much for your theory.

I'll always maintain that Stevie isnt a true #1, but I will also maintain this...if we dont re-sign Stevie, we're going to have a WR corps of Jones, Nelson, Roosevelt, Hagan. Johnson is head and shoulders above anyone else on our team and it isnt close.

Mahdi
12-20-2011, 02:18 PM

Second, they're the only 2 clutch catches he had to make, and he failed both times. Once again, you are looking at pure numbers and not at the actual situation.

Yes, Fitz definitely underthrew the ball, but Stevie was right there when the DB jumped for it and backed off. It was Fitz's fault but Stevie showed zero effort to even attempt to do anything about it. There is no excuse for EVER showing zero effort.

lmao- it's fans like you who deserve a loser because in your twisted, mediocre world, Stevie Johnson is a "bright spot." I expect more from my team. This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity. And for that, you earn the Krusty brand Seal of Approval:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_45PrdFm2YQw/SjtkffahNMI/AAAAAAAAACY/m_2Op0QgF6U/s200/800KrustySealOfApproval2007.jpg
You call it the only two clutch catches because he didn't make them, that's called being hypocritical.

He has made many catches for TDs that gave us a lead in a game or catches that led us towards a game winning TD. You just don't remember them because they were CAUGHT.

Pinkerton Security
12-20-2011, 02:19 PM

We get it...you dont approve of anyone on our roster. Stop posting about it.

Does anyone on this board think we're a better team without Steve Johnson?

OpIv37
12-20-2011, 02:19 PM
You call it the only two clutch catches because he didn't make them, that's called being hypocritical.

He has made many catches for TDs that gave us a lead in a game or catches that led us towards a game winning TD. You just don't remember them because they were CAUGHT.

Wins aren't defining this team right now.

Losses are.

Stevie was in a position to give this team 2 more wins in just over a calendar year, and he failed both times.

Fans are supposed to want the team to win, not defend the players who have cost us wins.

OpIv37
12-20-2011, 02:22 PM

I don't even think we're a better team without Stevie Johnson. But, that's only one side of the coin. The other side is this:

Does anyone really think we are going to be winners with Stevie Johnson as our #1 WR? If so, why?

The guy has shown a propensity to make mental mistakes- not just the drops but the stupid penalty. And then on top of that, his effort has gone down and he showed immaturity in taking responsibility for his mistakes both times. Immature guys who can't be counted on in crunch time don't win football games.

madness
12-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Really, then why is Roddy White leading the league in dropped passes? Don't see ATL fans calling for his head.
He actually dropped two game winners just in this season alone. I believe Julio Jones had one as well. Fans are oblivious as to what goes on around the NFL outside of Buffalo.

Luisito23
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Fans are oblivious as to what goes on around the NFL outside of Buffalo.

Not everyone, just the ones that want to prove their points at all costs.

kishoph
12-20-2011, 02:47 PM
how many times has stevie dropped the game winning TD. this and last year combined?

TOOOO MANY

How many times has Fitz missed a wide open Stevie that had beaten the Defenders ? Tooo many.

DraftBoy
12-20-2011, 02:53 PM

There are plenty that are wondering aloud about him but give Julio's drops they can't complain much plus they are winning.

Not a good example.

DraftBoy
12-20-2011, 02:55 PM

Better team immediately no? But could (and that's a big bad word with out FO track record) we do better? Absolutely.

OpIv37
12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
He actually dropped two game winners just in this season alone. I believe Julio Jones had one as well. Fans are oblivious as to what goes on around the NFL outside of Buffalo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Roddy White's mistakes in Atlanta don't justify Stevie Johnson's mistakes here. Just because players on other teams make mistakes doesnt' give our guys an excuse to make mistakes.

DraftBoy
12-20-2011, 03:15 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Roddy White's mistakes in Atlanta don't justify Stevie Johnson's mistakes here. Just because players on other teams make mistakes doesnt' give our guys an excuse to make mistakes.

No but the unrealistic expectations of perfection don't help any. Drops happen, the timelyness and context are what separate good WR's from great ones.

madness
12-20-2011, 03:35 PM

So you're saying it's okay to hold him contractually accountable to something better players around the league do as well? When another receiver comes in and ends up doing the same thing do you cut him right on the spot or let him finish out his contract and repeat the process until you've eliminated the entire league at that position?

kingJofNYC
12-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Steve's not perfect but neither is his QB. Let's look at the last game, or the one against the Giants where he smoked Webster repeatedly. He's made mistakes but with a QB capable of throwing a fade/deep ball his production would've been much better. Whoever wants him gone will being crying a year from now on how inept this front office is for letting him go.

trapezeus
12-20-2011, 04:07 PM
stevie is someone that teams gameplan around. and he has to high profile drops and a couple dances.

aside from that he is consistent. more so than lee evans was in his last 3 years.

Stevie is a piece to the puzzle. he needs to be on this team and the bills need to help with with another receiver,.

cgbm
12-20-2011, 07:11 PM
we need stevie, no questions asked.

he is not a no1.

he may be the best no2 in the game, when its all said and done.

Mr. Pink
12-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Stevie Johnson = Braylon Edwards.

That being said, this team needs him back since we barely have another NFL capable WR besides him.

Mahdi
12-21-2011, 12:53 AM
There are plenty that are wondering aloud about him but give Julio's drops they can't complain much plus they are winning.

Not a good example.
Yeah as in the rest of their team covers their flaws and they still win. But because Stevie plays for a crap team his mistakes are magnified...

Its a perfect example...

SaviorEdwards
12-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Most overrated WR ever, he doesn't possess #1 speed, size, or hands yet because he's a funny likable guy Bills fans want to give him a huge payday. This franchise deserves what it gets.

OpIv37
12-21-2011, 07:53 AM
So you're saying it's okay to hold him contractually accountable to something better players around the league do as well? When another receiver comes in and ends up doing the same thing do you cut him right on the spot or let him finish out his contract and repeat the process until you've eliminated the entire league at that position?

If we are going to pay him what those guys get paid, he damn well better be held to the same standards or better. Like DB said- drops happen- it's when they happen that separate the great ones from the rest of the pack. You guys found ONE example of a true #1 WR who has the same number of game winning TD drops as Stevie. That's it. If we are ever going to win, we can't afford to have a #1 WR who isn't great. Period.

OpIv37
12-21-2011, 07:54 AM
stevie is someone that teams gameplan around. and he has to high profile drops and a couple dances.

aside from that he is consistent. more so than lee evans was in his last 3 years.

Stevie is a piece to the puzzle. he needs to be on this team and the bills need to help with with another receiver,.

If they pay Stevie, do you honestly see them drafting or paying another WR? That's not how this team works.

Mahdi
12-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Most overrated WR ever, he doesn't possess #1 speed, size, or hands yet because he's a funny likable guy Bills fans want to give him a huge payday. This franchise deserves what it gets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NieSFbGiZUA&feature=related

Sorry but this guy is not overrated. He is underrated.

So because he isn't 6'3 220 he isn't elite? The fact that he is basically uncoverable at his size and speed speaks to his ability as a route runner and his ability to shake defenders and create space for himself.

You know who else wasn't a big receiver and ran a 4.5 40 yet couldn't be covered? Jerry Rice. Another guy who still plays and is very much like Stevie would be Reggie Wayne. None of these guys have elite speed or size but they are incredibly gifted route runners and know how to create space for themselves.

Stevie is a very rare WR which is why a guy like Revis has difficulty matching up with him.

In a different offense with a better QB Stevie would be leading the league in receptions and probably TDs as well. If I was Stevie, no way I would re-sign in Buffalo when I can go play with Brady or Vick, two teams that would love to get their hands on him.

WAKE UP people! This kid has talent that people all over the league recognize yet us GENIUS Bills fans are the only ones who are the wiser?

Yeah just like McGahee and Lynch were also damaged goods right. And Whitner was just an average safety who is playing for the best D in the league right. Where has our pass defense gone since Whitner left? We were 3rd last year, this year we are sixteenth, allowing 8 plays of 40 yards or more, last year having allowed only 4.

OpIv37
12-21-2011, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NieSFbGiZUA&feature=related

Sorry but this guy is not overrated. He is underrated.

So because he isn't 6'3 220 he isn't elite? The fact that he is basically uncoverable at his size and speed speaks to his ability as a route runner and his ability to shake defenders and create space for himself.

You know who else wasn't a big receiver and ran a 4.5 40 yet couldn't be covered? Jerry Rice. Another guy who still plays and is very much like Stevie would be Reggie Wayne. None of these guys have elite speed or size but they are incredibly gifted route runners and know how to create space for themselves.

Stevie is a very rare WR which is why a guy like Revis has difficulty matching up with him.

In a different offense with a better QB Stevie would be leading the league in receptions and probably TDs as well. If I was Stevie, no way I would re-sign in Buffalo when I can go play with Brady or Vick, two teams that would love to get their hands on him.

WAKE UP people! This kid has talent that people all over the league recognize yet us GENIUS Bills fans are the only ones who are the wiser?

Yeah just like McGahee and Lynch were also damaged goods right. And Whitner was just an average safety who is playing for the best D in the league right. Where has our pass defense gone since Whitner left? We were 3rd last year, this year we are sixteenth, allowing 8 plays of 40 yards or more, last year having allowed only 4.

"On a better team Stevie would look better." Really? You're going that route?

It's a TEAM game. EVERY player would look better on a better team because that's how team sports work. Some players need better players around them, and some players make the players around them better. The Bills have too many of the former and not enough of the latter.

And in case you haven't noticed, many of the people around the league who "recognize" Johnson's talent don't actually WATCH Bills games like Bills fans do. Players on our team get overrated or underrated all the time because we're not good enough for the rest of the country to pay attention. They just go by highlight reels and stats. Most of us have watched literally every play of Stevie's career. I can guarantee that the mystery people "all over the league" that you are quoting haven't done that.

Mahdi
12-21-2011, 10:47 AM
"On a better team Stevie would look better." Really? You're going that route?

It's a TEAM game. EVERY player would look better on a better team because that's how team sports work. Some players need better players around them, and some players make the players around them better. The Bills have too many of the former and not enough of the latter.

And in case you haven't noticed, many of the people around the league who "recognize" Johnson's talent don't actually WATCH Bills games like Bills fans do. Players on our team get overrated or underrated all the time because we're not good enough for the rest of the country to pay attention. They just go by highlight reels and stats. Most of us have watched literally every play of Stevie's career. I can guarantee that the mystery people "all over the league" that you are quoting haven't done that.
Problem is you watch with jaded eyes.

Stevie is a pure receiver, that gets open with special talent. I almost hope he goes somewhere else, and somewhere where he will play us twice a year and kick our asses because that's what Bills fans deserve.

Its more tiring listening to Bills fans than watching the Bills play...

DraftBoy
12-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah as in the rest of their team covers their flaws and they still win. But because Stevie plays for a crap team his mistakes are magnified...

Its a perfect example...

No they aren't and it isn't.

Falcons WR's drops are covering for Matt Ryan's poor deep ball skills. The drops are at the center of attention down here right behind horrific OL play.

OpIv37
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Problem is you watch with jaded eyes.

Stevie is a pure receiver, that gets open with special talent. I almost hope he goes somewhere else, and somewhere where he will play us twice a year and kick our asses because that's what Bills fans deserve.

Its more tiring listening to Bills fans than watching the Bills play...

Wrong.

You watch with rose-colored glasses. Getting open is only part of what a receiver needs to do. Putting in the effort on every play and making the clutch catch are also part of being a "special talent." You fail to see Stevie's limitations and fail to acknowledge that the Bills are terrible right now even with him. You consistently support every player who wears the uniform, even when their play keeps the team from winning.

Fans like you deserve to lose because you insist on supporting players who don't do what they have to do in order to get wins.

Mahdi
12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Wrong.

You watch with rose-colored glasses. Getting open is only part of what a receiver needs to do. Putting in the effort on every play and making the clutch catch are also part of being a "special talent." You fail to see Stevie's limitations and fail to acknowledge that the Bills are terrible right now even with him. You consistently support every player who wears the uniform, even when their play keeps the team from winning.

Fans like you deserve to lose because you insist on supporting players who don't do what they have to do in order to get wins.
My criticisms of many Bills players on this board are well documented. I view things objectively at all times.

Stevie has had TWO big drops, one for a TD and one to get in position for one. Every WR has done it. Calling it a trend for him is ridiculous considering all the other beautiful catches he has made and several TDs that gave the Bills the lead in a game.

I was critical of Trent Edwards from the first day he played for Buffalo till the last while many on here were drinking his kool aid. How does that make me a homer?

I was also critical of Jabari Greer BTW and had no problem not paying him top money because he has a critical flaw.

I call it like I see it, good or bad. Stevie is a talented #1 WR and deserves that respect and deserves a new contract that falls in line with his talent.

Should he get Larry type money, no, but he should be no less than the 15th highest paid WR in the game.

better days
12-21-2011, 12:55 PM
My criticisms of many Bills players on this board are well documented. I view things objectively at all times.

Stevie has had TWO big drops, one for a TD and one to get in position for one. Every WR has done it. Calling it a trend for him is ridiculous considering all the other beautiful catches he has made and several TDs that gave the Bills the lead in a game.

I was critical of Trent Edwards from the first day he played for Buffalo till the last while many on here were drinking his kool aid. How does that make me a homer?

I was also critical of Jabari Greer BTW and had no problem not paying him top money because he has a critical flaw.

I call it like I see it, good or bad. Stevie is a talented #1 WR and deserves that respect and deserves a new contract that falls in line with his talent.

Should he get Larry type money, no, but he should be no less than the 15th highest paid WR in the game.

If the Bills need to step up & pay Stevie more than he is worth, I say do it. Nix has said the Bills will not sign overpriced FAs from other teams, but would spend money on Bills players they want to keep.

To lose Stevie would be a HUGE mistake IMO, especially after losing Evans.

OpIv37
12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
If the Bills need to step up & pay Stevie more than he is worth, I say do it. Nix has said the Bills will not sign overpriced FAs from other teams, but would spend money on Bills players they want to keep.

To lose Stevie would be a HUGE mistake IMO, especially after losing Evans.

if Nix said that, he should be shown the door ASAP. The team we have is NOT good enough to win, and we're not going to get there via the draft alone.

OpIv37
12-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Well you are NOT looking at Stevie objectively because a) it's been more than 2 drops- those are just the two most notable ones, b) he doesn't always put in the necessary effort and c) he has shown immaturity both on and off the field.

So what if he runs great routes? He does other things that prove you can't rely on him when it matters most, and no team can win when they can't rely on their highest paid players.

Jan Reimers
12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Stevie, given his production and propensity to drop passes at critical times, is no better than an average #2 receiver. Thus, the Bills will probably pay him more than any #1 in the league.

That way, the FO can blow smoke up our butts by pretending we have a really top guy, while not having to chase a valid #1 in free agency or get one in the draft.

Isn't that how we roll?

Mahdi
12-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Stevie, given his production and propensity to drop passes at critical times, is no better than an average #2 receiver. Thus, the Bills will probably pay him more than any #1 in the league.

That way, the FO can blow smoke up our butts by pretending we have a really top guy, while not having to chase a valid #1 in free agency or get one in the draft.

Isn't that how we roll?
This is pure nonsense.

I guess Revis is having difficulty with an average #2.

OpIv37
12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
This is pure nonsense.

So, because the guy had 2 good games against Revis (both of which we LOST, btw), he's suddenly a #1 who should get paid?

Funny how you remember those two games against Revis, but dismiss his drops and don't seem to recall the times he's gone stone cold against far lesser CB's.

Mahdi
12-21-2011, 03:30 PM
So, because the guy had 2 good games against Revis (both of which we LOST, btw), he's suddenly a #1 who should get paid?

Funny how you remember those two games against Revis, but dismiss his drops and don't seem to recall the times he's gone stone cold against far lesser CB's.
When Fitz actually makes a commitment to throw to Stevie he produces. Throughout the season Fitz has been up and down and even on good days Fitz spreads the ball around way too much which is one of the reasons our offense has stalled in the second half of the season.

Stevie beats his man often and if he were targeted more he would produce more.

You are talking about two instances in 2 seasons, I am talking about a body of work, who is being more realistic?

Stevie has had his issues but overall he is a top 15 WR.

Jan Reimers
12-21-2011, 03:49 PM
This is pure nonsense.

My post contained some sarcasm, but not on the issue of Stevie being a #1. Like you, I watch a lot of games, and Stevie would not be a #1 on almost any team except Buffalo.

His performances against Revis not withstanding, he has dropped far too many balls in the most critical, game changing situations, and put up small numbers in too many games, to be anywhere near a #1.

It is only because we are so devoid of quality receivers that he is OUR #1. That's pretty easy when you play for a talent starved team.

Mahdi
12-21-2011, 03:57 PM
I had to just give up arguing about the Edwards issue and I'll do the same here.

Most fans should just watch and not comment on football because a lot of the time its just silly. Unfortunately, most fans, particularly Bills fans, have difficulty evaluating football players and understanding the game.

I'm not trying to act like I'm Lombardi here but what I'm reading on this board is just nonsense half the time.

We'll see soon enough just how good Stevie is or isn't.

better days
12-21-2011, 04:07 PM
I had to just give up arguing about the Edwards issue and I'll do the same here.

Most fans should just watch and not comment on football because a lot of the time its just silly. Unfortunately, most fans, particularly Bills fans, have difficulty evaluating football players and understanding the game.

I'm not trying to act like I'm Lombardi here but what I'm reading on this board is just nonsense half the time.

We'll see soon enough just how good Stevie is or isn't.

The fact is nobody is right all the time. Even GMs & HCs are not always right. I have had my mind changed about some things by posters on this board & hopefully I have changed a few peoples minds about some other things.

That is what I enjoy about this board. The give & take & sharing different opinions.

Mahdi
12-21-2011, 04:15 PM
The fact is nobody is right all the time. Even GMs & HCs are not always right. I have had my mind changed about some things by posters on this board & hopefully I have changed a few peoples minds about some other things.

That is what I enjoy about this board. The give & take & sharing different opinions.
I agree with this, however I'm just tired of all the constant bashing and criticizing of even our good players.

Our team sucks and that's unfortunate but we have good players throughout this team that would be stars elsewhere.

Too bad Bills fans can't at least recognize that...

bf1
12-21-2011, 08:32 PM
He's not a #1 wr on any good team.

better days
12-21-2011, 11:02 PM
I agree with this, however I'm just tired of all the constant bashing and criticizing of even our good players.

Our team sucks and that's unfortunate but we have good players throughout this team that would be stars elsewhere.

I agree & the Jets lost last week because former Bill Jim Leonhard is out injured.

ThunderGun
12-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Recently, it was reported that the NFL's TV contract had increased 60% for the following 10 years beginning in 2014, if I am correct. That, of course, means the salary cap will increase in a like manner. I am proposing the Bills give Stevie a 5 year $50 miilion contract backloaded with reachable incentives beginning in the 2014 year. That way they can control the cap hit for 2012 and 2013 and push more $ forward.
I posted this in another thread:

Here are some of the WR's who signed contracts before the season:

Santonio Holmes - 5 year, $45 million = $9 mil/year
Sidney Rice - 5 year, $41 million = $8.2 mil/year
Miles Austin - 7 years, $57 million = $8.14 mil/year
Steve Breaston - 5 year, $25 million = $5 mil/year
Santana Moss - 3 year, $15 million = $5 mil/year

Stevie isn't elite, but he is a solid #1. He would get at least $8 million per year on the open market, imo.

Mahdi
12-22-2011, 01:49 PM
5 years $50 million isn't nearly enough. I posted this in another thread:

So you are saying that Stevie is on par with Breaston? Stevie isn't elite, but he is a solid #1. He would get $8 million per year on the open market.
5 years 50 million in 10 mil per season, I would say that is a good deal, maybe even a bit of a bonus for Stevie.

ThunderGun
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM
5 years 50 million in 10 mil per season, I would say that is a good deal, maybe even a bit of a bonus for Stevie.

I'm sorry....I totally misread (and misquoted) the OP. I was thinking he said 5 years, $25 million.

Yes, 5 years $50 million is totally fair.

Lone Stranger
12-22-2011, 02:38 PM
5 years $50 million isn't nearly enough. I posted this in another thread:

So you are saying that Stevie is on par with Breaston? Stevie isn't elite, but he is a solid #1. He would get $8 million per year on the open market.

I am confused by your response. My proposed contract calls for an average of $10 million per year which is above all that you have quoted.

Jan Reimers
12-22-2011, 02:46 PM

Most of us who feel Stevie is not a #1 are not really bashing him. To me, he is a good receiver who has had some great moments. He is a fine #2 and should be paid accordingly.

He is simply not a #1, or at least not the type of #1 that we need to get us out of our 12 year slide.

I think we are being realistic.

better days
12-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Most of us who feel Stevie is not a #1 are not really bashing him. To me, he is a good receiver who has had some great moments. He is a fine #2 and should be paid accordingly.

He is simply not a #1, or at least not the type of #1 that we need to get us out of our 12 year slide.

I think we are being realistic.

Well, if there is even one team in need of a receiver & I'm sure there are several including the Bills, Stevie will get PAID. Most likely as a FA he will be the highest paid receiver on whatever team he signs with. I just hope that team is the Bills.

OpIv37
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Maybe, instead of saying "they'd be stars elsewhere," you should ask yourself why they're not stars here.

Again, it's a team game, and some players make the players around them better, and some need better players around them. Just like all our other supposed "stars," Stevie is the latter.

But, instead of holding our players accountable, you just blame the rest of the team so you can defend the players on the Bills that you consider "stars."

And, it's all about winning. Our "stars" aren't doing what it takes to win games, and therefore the bashing and criticizing is well deserved. Everyone on this team has blood on their hands for what happened this season, even Stevie.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2011, 03:21 PM

Poz is a star in Jacksonville!

Whitner is a star in San Fran!

Clements became a star in San Fran too!

Greer is a star in New Orleans!

McGahee was a star in Baltimore and now Denver!

Evans is the MAN now in Baltimore!

Lynch did a lot last year with Seattle, he has had a resurgence this year and is on pace for his best statistical season. 1 out of 7 ain't bad on your star elsewhere theory though.

Fixxxer
12-23-2011, 07:16 AM
I posted this in another thread:

Stevie isn't elite, but he is a solid #1. He would get at least $8 million per year on the open market, imo.

We would do ourselves no favors if we don't re-sign Steve. I really don't care about him being the 1st, the 2nd or 3rd WR. I care that he produces and is a good target for any of our QB.

The money should not be an issue, what is outrageous money today is pocket change in 4 years. In four years Steve can help the team, help his teammates to be better, all of this while hitting his prime.

This is easy, keep the good players and have the mindset that you will add the next HOF player.

madness
12-25-2011, 01:52 AM
NFL*Leaders
Receiving:***
NFL

Pass Dropped
Rank Player Team Stats
1t Greg Little Cle 12
1t Roddy White Atl 12
3 Brandon Marshall Mia 11
4t Dwayne Bowe KC 10
4t Jermichael Finley GB 10
6t Nate Burleson Det 9
6t DeSean Jackson Phi 9
8 Dallas Clark Ind 8
9t Anquan Boldin Bal 7
9t Victor Cruz NYG 7
9t Ray Rice Bal 7
9t Jerome Simpson Cin 7
9t Steve Smith Car 7
9t Benjamin Watson Cle 7
15t Arrelious Benn TB 6
15t Davone Bess Mia 6
15t Antonio Brown Pit 6
15t Michael Crabtree SF 6
15t Early Doucet Ari 6
15t Brandon Gibson StL 6
15t Frank Gore SF 6
15t Montario Hardesty Cle 6
15t Jason Hill Jac 6
15t Julio Jones Atl 6
15t Brandon Pettigrew Det 6
15t Dane Sanzenbacher Chi 6
15t Damian Williams Ten 6
15t Mike Williams TB 6

The Palm Beach Post reports 7 of Marshall's drops were in the end zone. I've also seen at least 5 of these guys drop TD catches this year. Not of all them can be game winners but it's hard to argue any team wouldn't want to get one back.