• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Gailey's Job Security

Let me say first that I like Gailey as a coach more than I dislike him. What he did in the first seven weeks was now obviously one of the best smoke and mirror tricks in Bills history. He got a decent amount out of marginal talent... at least on offense.

That said, he has not shored up the D at all in two years time (better talent but same results), and he seems to have lost his sway with some on the team during this miserable skid.

I know he's Nix' boy and all, and I wouldn't be pissed if he came back, but can OBD justify giving a coach a third year when he has had an 8 and 9 game losing streak in consecutive seasons? Don't results speak for themselves at that point? Would Ralph step in and spend more of his money to try and upgrade the HC position?

I have to think he won't and that Gailey will be right back at the helm to start the 2012 season. But you know the writers and fans are going to start clamoring for his dismissal loud and clear come 1.2.12 if we finish 5-11. And it would be pretty hard to blame them.
  • HAMMER
    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
    • Jul 2003

Re: Gailey's Job Security

It wasn't smoke and mirrors, it was a massive positive turnover ratio and having healthy players. Simple as that.

Comment

• Cleve
      • Oct 2004

It was just law of averages stuff. We just happened to bunch our 5 wins together at one time - but this is still just a bottom-shelf 6-10 or 5-11 team. Gailey and Nix have done nothing to improve it overall - sure there have been some positive personnel additions, but we haven't gained any real ground in two full years of their reign.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
      per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
        • Jan 2010

nix and gailey are 100% safe

This season will be blamed internally and justified in the Bills organization on lots of injuries to key play

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

And now we're right back in the old catch-22 that we seem to find ourselves in every 2-3 years.

Firing Nix and Gailey means starting over with the rebuilding process. It means at least another 2 years without winning.

On the other hand, I'm quickly losing confidence that these ass clowns can get the job done. What's the point of keeping them around if it's just going to be more losing?

But, I think there is another, larger issue. Since the Bills last made the playoffs in the 1999 season, there have been 4 GM's (Tom Donahoe, Marv Levy, Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix) and 4 Head Coaches (Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey- 5 if you count Perry Fewell as interim in 2009). The results have all been the same. The way this team does business off the field has been largely the same.

The only common factor is Ralph. Either he's absolutely terrible at finding the right personnel, or he interferes with their decisions to the point where even the quality coaches and GM's are rendered impotent. Or both.

This team will never win as long as Ralph is the owner.
          Last edited by OpIv37; 12-20-2011, 12:12 PM.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

**** it. What's another year at this point?

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              Legendary Zoner
              • May 2009

Fire them all. San Fran turned it around in one year. Get the right coaches and this team would at least be .500 next year without any added players.
              Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
                Fire them all. San Fran turned it around in one year. Get the right coaches and this team would at least be .500 next year without any added players.
                SF already had the talent...

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by madness
                  SF already had the talent...
                  which is exactly why i said they would be at .500 and not 10-6 or 11-3 and so on.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

My lord JP Losman said it best the bills need to have some consistency, always changing coaches and GMs is not going to work because we are always going to be turning over our roster to fit new ideals.

I hate losing and do not want to accept it, but we need to let them try and build this team and see what happens.

Also Doug Whaley was on LaConfora list of rising GM candidates and I imagine he will be our GM in 2014 or 2015 with Nix moving to a consultant role or president, but with Whaley having full say on personal decisions.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Dec 2005

Whaley is a great long-term hope. I hope that Ralph does what is necessary to keep him around.

On the immediate though, the big question has to be can Chan win in year 3. You have to think Nix feels he can. Knowing that Ralph stuck with Jauron for as long as he did, he'll most likely get the chance to prove himself. But can he win? If we have a typical light FA period and then even a great draft, will it be enough? I don't know... you have to figure the defense will be better... but will Fitz? He was the reason we were successful early on (sure the TOs helped, but it doesn't hurt to score 30+ every week). He was also the reason we tanked the last 7.

So can Gailey get creative enough with Fitz's limited package to get good results again? I don't know... the guy knows offense, but you can only do so much with a QB who is obviously mediocre at best. We will see.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

It was the fact that teams didn't have time to work together and gel as an unit.

It leveled off the playing field to the point where basically every team was even.

Not that the good teams have gotten work together, we see exactly how far behind them we really are.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Gailey isn't going anywhere, especially if he makes some necessary moves with the staff.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

Gailey sucks.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                              • Aug 2004

Having an unsustainable positive turnover ratio, a record breaking type of Red Zone efficiency and some good breaks lead us to a good start the first few weeks and not because we have a good team. Once the games were played at a normal level we started to fall back and then starting with the Jets game it totally collapsed altogether.

Anyone who thinks we are a good team because of the good start is just being homeristic. The good teams stay in the hunt throughout the season and the average/bad teams have their streak at some point.

We are no different then the Dolphins except their 1st seven games and 2nd seven games just went in reverse of ours. The lost their first 7 and won 5 out of their next 7. Same as us but in reverse. I don't hear anybody here saying that they are close to being a playoff team. If anything we're worse since they smoked us twice this year.
                              Last edited by BillsFever21; 12-20-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X