X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Gailey not touching the "George Edwards issue"

This guy's as good as gone already. I expect it to happen pretty quickly after the season ends:

With the Bills defense slumping to 26th in the NFL in yards allowed, Buffalo coach Chan Gailey was asked today if he was satisfied with the performance of defensive coordinator George Edwards.

Said Gailey: "This not the time to discuss all of that. We’re all doing the very best that we can, trying to put guys in position to be successful, everybody, in all three phases. That’s all we’re trying to do is be the best we can and try to win this game and the next one. That’s the goal, that’s the only thought right now."

Asked about the fact Edwards gets a lot of criticism, Gailey said: "Hey, everybody’s getting criticism. You lose this many games in a row, we all get criticism. There’s nobody that escapes criticism when you’re doing what we’re doing right now."

---Mark Gaughan
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Re: Gailey not touching the "George Edwards issue"

I agree and everybody who knows anything about Gailey knows he's well aware it makes zero sense to make a change at this point in the season.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Sal can you move back to FL? It seems your move sent the tema into a spiral.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Coach Sal
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by King Bedard
        Sal can you move back to FL? It seems your move sent the tema into a spiral.
        Uhhh.....I moved before week one. They were 5-2 while I was here.

I was taking credit for that (good luck). Now that they are losing, I of course had nothing to with it. :)
        Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
        And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

This is nothing but media saavy by an experienced HC. Gailey has his flaws but he's not dumb.

If he sticks up for Edwards, then he just pissed off the fan base. If he criticizes Edwards, then he just neutered his DC publicly with 2 games left to play. Regardless of what goes on behind the scenes, this is really the only way he can play it publicly.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jeff1220
            H to the 12:20
            • Jul 2002

Of course, Edwards will be replaced with Wanny who will start switching the team back to a 4-3, then after Gailey gets the ax at the end of 2012, Wanny will become the next Bills' HC.

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

My guess is, that's why there was confusion as to who called the plays last week.

A lot of places said Wannstadt was calling the plays, which Gailey denied. Of course, given the result, they'd be better off denying it and throwing Edwards under the bus. Because, if it was clear that Wannstedt was calling the plays, that wouldn't exactly be a ringing endosement for a promotion to DC...

-Bill

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by BLeonard
                My guess is, that's why there was confusion as to who called the plays last week.

A lot of places said Wannstadt was calling the plays, which Gailey denied. Of course, given the result, they'd be better off denying it and throwing Edwards under the bus. Because, if it was clear that Wannstedt was calling the plays, that wouldn't exactly be a ringing endosement for a promotion to DC...

-Bill
                D. Florance also confirmed it was Edwards.

Comment

• The King
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                  Uhhh.....I moved before week one. They were 5-2 while I was here.

I was taking credit for that (good luck). Now that they are losing, I of course had nothing to with it. :)
                  Oh crap. I need some one to blame
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• The King
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    This is nothing but media saavy by an experienced HC. Gailey has his flaws but he's not dumb.

If he sticks up for Edwards, then he just pissed off the fan base. If he criticizes Edwards, then he just neutered his DC publicly with 2 games left to play. Regardless of what goes on behind the scenes, this is really the only way he can play it publicly.
                    He could can him and show that he wont tollerate insolence.

Too late for that now.
                    It was all

Comment

• Luisito23
                      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                      • Apr 2003

Gailey should fire Edwards, and turn around and fire himself as well.
                      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Edwards should have been demoted during the bye week. If he's not gone next year, I'm off the Chan bandwagon.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I don't want Edwards or Wannstadt anywhere near this defense next season. ****-can both of them and get somebody in here who has a few notches on his belt at this level.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by YardRat
                            I don't want Edwards or Wannstadt anywhere near this defense next season. ****-can both of them and get somebody in here who has a few notches on his belt at this level.
                            Wannstedt was a SB-winning DC and his Bears and Dols defense were also really good. But he's a 4-3 coach. And frankly, the Bills should go back to that.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal
                              Wannstedt was a SB-winning DC and his Bears and Dols defense were also really good.
                              IIRC, that's not really the case.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X