PDA

View Full Version : Gailey not touching the "George Edwards issue"

Coach Sal
12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
This guy's as good as gone already. I expect it to happen pretty quickly after the season ends:

With the Bills defense slumping to 26th in the NFL in yards allowed, Buffalo coach Chan Gailey was asked today if he was satisfied with the performance of defensive coordinator George Edwards.

Said Gailey: "This not the time to discuss all of that. We’re all doing the very best that we can, trying to put guys in position to be successful, everybody, in all three phases. That’s all we’re trying to do is be the best we can and try to win this game and the next one. That’s the goal, that’s the only thought right now."

Asked about the fact Edwards gets a lot of criticism, Gailey said: "Hey, everybody’s getting criticism. You lose this many games in a row, we all get criticism. There’s nobody that escapes criticism when you’re doing what we’re doing right now."

---Mark Gaughan

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/12/gailey-not-touching-edwards-issue.html

madness
12-20-2011, 12:44 PM
I agree and everybody who knows anything about Gailey knows he's well aware it makes zero sense to make a change at this point in the season.

The King
12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Sal can you move back to FL? It seems your move sent the tema into a spiral.

Coach Sal
12-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Sal can you move back to FL? It seems your move sent the tema into a spiral.

Uhhh.....I moved before week one. They were 5-2 while I was here.

I was taking credit for that (good luck). Now that they are losing, I of course had nothing to with it. :)

OpIv37
12-20-2011, 12:49 PM
This is nothing but media saavy by an experienced HC. Gailey has his flaws but he's not dumb.

If he sticks up for Edwards, then he just pissed off the fan base. If he criticizes Edwards, then he just neutered his DC publicly with 2 games left to play. Regardless of what goes on behind the scenes, this is really the only way he can play it publicly.

Jeff1220
12-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Of course, Edwards will be replaced with Wanny who will start switching the team back to a 4-3, then after Gailey gets the ax at the end of 2012, Wanny will become the next Bills' HC. :ill:

BLeonard
12-20-2011, 01:06 PM
My guess is, that's why there was confusion as to who called the plays last week.

A lot of places said Wannstadt was calling the plays, which Gailey denied. Of course, given the result, they'd be better off denying it and throwing Edwards under the bus. Because, if it was clear that Wannstedt was calling the plays, that wouldn't exactly be a ringing endosement for a promotion to DC...

-Bill

madness
12-20-2011, 01:11 PM
My guess is, that's why there was confusion as to who called the plays last week.

A lot of places said Wannstadt was calling the plays, which Gailey denied. Of course, given the result, they'd be better off denying it and throwing Edwards under the bus. Because, if it was clear that Wannstedt was calling the plays, that wouldn't exactly be a ringing endosement for a promotion to DC...

-Bill

D. Florance also confirmed it was Edwards.

The King
12-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Uhhh.....I moved before week one. They were 5-2 while I was here.

I was taking credit for that (good luck). Now that they are losing, I of course had nothing to with it. :)

Oh crap. I need some one to blame

The King
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM
This is nothing but media saavy by an experienced HC. Gailey has his flaws but he's not dumb.

If he sticks up for Edwards, then he just pissed off the fan base. If he criticizes Edwards, then he just neutered his DC publicly with 2 games left to play. Regardless of what goes on behind the scenes, this is really the only way he can play it publicly.

He could can him and show that he wont tollerate insolence.

Too late for that now.

Luisito23
12-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Gailey should fire Edwards, and turn around and fire himself as well.

Goobylal
12-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Edwards should have been demoted during the bye week. If he's not gone next year, I'm off the Chan bandwagon.

YardRat
12-20-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't want Edwards or Wannstadt anywhere near this defense next season. ****-can both of them and get somebody in here who has a few notches on his belt at this level.

Goobylal
12-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't want Edwards or Wannstadt anywhere near this defense next season. ****-can both of them and get somebody in here who has a few notches on his belt at this level.
Wannstedt was a SB-winning DC and his Bears and Dols defense were also really good. But he's a 4-3 coach. And frankly, the Bills should go back to that.

YardRat
12-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Wannstedt was a SB-winning DC and his Bears and Dols defense were also really good.

IIRC, that's not really the case.

better days
12-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Wannstedt was a SB-winning DC and his Bears and Dols defense were also really good. But he's a 4-3 coach. And frankly, the Bills should go back to that.
Wannstedt had success in the PAST. He did nothing this year to help Edwards or the Bills. I say he can go with Edwards.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Wannstedt had success in the PAST. He did nothing this year to help Edwards or the Bills. I say he can go with Edwards.

Ron Rivera held the same title with San Deigo, Asst. Head Coach and Linebackers when Ted Cotrell was running the defense. Ted's defense stunk, they promoted Rivera and became a top 5 defense. By you logic, Rivera should of stunk as well.

better days
12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Ron Rivera held the same title with San Deigo, Asst. Head Coach and Linebackers when Ted Cotrell was running the defense. Ted's defense stunk, they promoted Rivera and became a top 5 defense. By you logic, Rivera should of stunk as well.

A BIG part of how a team plays, is the PLAYERS. The Bills will have better players on the field next year, so no matter who is coaching, Edwards, Wanny or ANYONE else, I will bet the Bills will be better on defense next year.

The point is a GOOD Coach can get more out of his players than a mediocre coach can. I think the Bills could easily get a better DC than BOTH Edwards & Wanny.

Yasgur's Farm
12-21-2011, 11:16 AM
D. Florance also confirmed it was Edwards.I can confirm that as well... It was live on 550 Monday AM.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-21-2011, 11:21 AM
A BIG part of how a team plays, is the PLAYERS. The Bills will have better players on the field next year, so no matter who is coaching, Edwards, Wanny or ANYONE else, I will bet the Bills will be better on defense next year.

The point is a GOOD Coach can get more out of his players than a mediocre coach can. I think the Bills could easily get a better DC than BOTH Edwards & Wanny.

They could but they wont cause they have Wannstedt here already but in terms of who I think is better I'd take Wannstedt over George everytime. Wannstedt has been there before coaching a good defense, Edwards hasn't. he took over a solid defense in Washington for Marvin Lewis and they stunk, he got fired the next year and Gregg Williams replaced him and they were back in the top 10.

better days
12-21-2011, 11:37 AM
They could but they wont cause they have Wannstedt here already but in terms of who I think is better I'd take Wannstedt over George everytime. Wannstedt has been there before coaching a good defense, Edwards hasn't. he took over a solid defense in Washington for Marvin Lewis and they stunk, he got fired the next year and Gregg Williams replaced him and they were back in the top 10.

Agreed, if the choice is only between Wanny & Edwards, I take Wanny hands down.

Extremebillsfan247
12-21-2011, 02:23 PM
The only way Gailey will fire Edwards is if he is forced to by Buddy Nix, or Ralph Wilson. Otherwise, it's not happening. JMO

Oaf
12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Have no prob with what he said.

bigbub2352
12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
after u fire him...spend some ****ing money and get a pass rush

Das_Bills
12-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I see Edwards getting fired and Wanny taking over and converting back to a 4-3 and draft for that.

ThunderGun
12-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Of course, Edwards will be replaced with Wanny who will start switching the team back to a 4-3, then after Gailey gets the ax at the end of 2012, Wanny will become the next Bills' HC. :ill:

I hope we do switch back to a 4-3. The only reason 3-4 made sense was because we were all hoping Maybin would be able to do something as a 3-4 OLB. Aside from him, our personnel is more suited for a 4-3. Kyle and Kelsay are 4-3 guys. Dareus can play either, but I think he's a better 4-3 DT than 3-4 DE. Out CB's seemed to play better when we ran a 4-3 scheme. Aside from Barnett, our LB's all blow anyway, so it shouldn't matter to them.