PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Stevie Johnson Contract

Pinkerton Security
12-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Forked from: Stevie Johnson Contract (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3576828)

A lot of fans are unwilling to give Stevie a #1 contract and that is a true dilemma. However, I see little choice in the matter since the Bills have little else to offer on the receiver front. And please don't insult me with the likes of Parrish and Easley. I do have a twist on this.

Recently, it was reported that the NFL's TV contract had increased 60% for the following 10 years beginning in 2014, if I am correct. That, of couuse, means the salary cap will increase in a like manner. I am proposing the Bills give Stevie a 5 year $50 miilion contract backloaded with reachable incentives beginning in the 2014 year. That way they can control the cap hit for 2012 and 2013 and push more $ forward.

I don't think it would take a genius to structure this contract and, besides, the contracts are going to substantially escalate in the future.
Lets have a poll

OpIv37
12-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Clearly, we're not better off by just ditching Stevie Johnson.

He needs to be replaced with someone better. Unfortunately, these are the options that the FO is currently faced with, largely because of their own poor decision-making:

1. Re-sign Stevie to a multi-year contract worth approximately $9 million a year, and be stuck with a guy who is immature and isn't clutch as our #1 WR
2. Franchise Stevie and trade him, which means we will hopefully get something of value in return but will still be without a #1 WR
3. Franchise Stevie and keep him, which means paying him $10+ million for a year then likely letting him walk for nothing.
4. Let him walk for nothing now and replace him.

2 and 4 both involve replacing him, which come at the opportunity cost of not addressing another position.

At the end of the day, all of these options suck.

Pinkerton Security
12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
I just wanted to make sure no one actually thought we were better without him...we dont need to pay him 15 mill a year, but IMO we need him on our team next year.

trapezeus
12-20-2011, 03:55 PM
fans don't want to keep rebuilding, but they keep wanting to can players who grade out to a B to A-. they want all superstars.

Regardless of stevie's drops, he is a gamer. He plays hurt, he produces most of the time. He's young. He works hard and frankly he's the only guy who has beaten revis like a mule. So you tell me, do you want to start over knowing you can get a guy much worse, or do you want to keep our own youth and make it work.

With the bills cap space, it is completely unacceptable for them not to come to terms with Stevie. If he wants a top 10 contract, you give it to him. end of discussion. anything less proves why we can't ever turn the corner.

ThunderGun
12-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Clearly, we're not better off by just ditching Stevie Johnson.

He needs to be replaced with someone better. Unfortunately, these are the options that the FO is currently faced with, largely because of their own poor decision-making:

1. Re-sign Stevie to a multi-year contract worth approximately $9 million a year, and be stuck with a guy who is immature and isn't clutch as our #1 WR
2. Franchise Stevie and trade him, which means we will hopefully get something of value in return but will still be without a #1 WR
3. Franchise Stevie and keep him, which means paying him $10+ million for a year then likely letting him walk for nothing.
4. Let him walk for nothing now and replace him.

2 and 4 both involve replacing him, which come at the opportunity cost of not addressing another position.

At the end of the day, all of these options suck.

I think $9 million a year is going rate for a WR of Stevie's talents, regardless if he is a #1 or #2.

The Cowgirls just gave Miles Austin more than $8 million/year to be a #2. I'd be happy giving Stevie that much, but still drafting a stud WR to be our #1, if we have the chance.