PDA

View Full Version : BILLS can Void Fitz's Contract

kishoph
12-20-2011, 02:34 PM
The Buffalo BILLS have an option to void Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract and make hima Free Agent in 2012. Get out the Void stamp ASAP. :stick:

http://thepenaltyflagblog.com/thoughts-bills-walk-fitzpatrick-contract

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/21/bills-could-avoid-most-of-fitzpatricks-new-deal/

SABURZFAN
12-20-2011, 02:38 PM
the Beard Lickers are not going to like this.

kishoph
12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I had no idea they could do this, but I think it would be the right move, especially if his crappy plays continues the last 2 weeks.

BertSquirtgum
12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
God damn ball washers

Luisito23
12-20-2011, 02:48 PM
especially if his crappy plays continues the last 2 weeks.

Why should the last 2 meaningless weeks matter?

It it gonna overshadow his play for last few months, and end of last season?

kishoph
12-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Why should the last 2 meaningless weeks matter?

It it gonna overshadow his play for last few months, and end of last season?

You're right.

Demon
12-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Cut him right after the Broncos game, just in case the release papers don't get lost or something.

trapezeus
12-20-2011, 03:48 PM
something will have to be done. i think if you handle it correctly, he is willing to get cut and sign a different contract to stay. I didn't read the links by the original poster, but i think it matters when the void can happen. if it can happen after the draft, that allows buffalo to play their cards closer.

if they have to void before draft, then they are going to can a QB who wasn't really that bad before they know if they have a replacement. and knowing how the bills operate, if no QB's are in the draft, they'll go into 2012 with Thigpen as the starter. and i'm pretty sure we'll end up hating 2012 a whole lot more than 2011.

Skooby
12-20-2011, 03:55 PM
something will have to be done. i think if you handle it correctly, he is willing to get cut and sign a different contract to stay. I didn't read the links by the original poster, but i think it matters when the void can happen. if it can happen after the draft, that allows buffalo to play their cards closer.

if they have to void before draft, then they are going to can a QB who wasn't really that bad before they know if they have a replacement. and knowing how the bills operate, if no QB's are in the draft, they'll go into 2012 with Thigpen as the starter. and i'm pretty sure we'll end up hating 2012 a whole lot more than 2011.

They do this & we'll never see a good FA show up there for many years, it's a perilous fight.

mysticsoto
12-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd like to know what the hell happened to him? Does he have a Jekyll & Hyde personality or something??? When do they have to void his contract by?

I'd say there's no choice but to do it. Let's hope we get low enough and that a decent top3 QB falls to us in the draft. We do need to go strong in FA then and get the OLB we need there (and maybe another in the 2nd rd)!!!

trapezeus
12-20-2011, 04:02 PM
i'm not sure. you discuss this with him in advance. "you didn't really live up to the expectations of someone paid like that. And it wasn't close, i don't think you'd argue that."

then you give him the "but we want you on this team. A guy who can win 5 games against good teams and be in games in cincy and NY. that's a great back up. and you have a knowledge base that is enviable. We want to try this offense with someone with more athletic skill. You are a key component to coaching a player up like that. You do a good job with him here, it's an amazing transition to coaching and the like. Shall we renegotiate or do you want to be cut and try elsewhere to be a starter. Keep in mind your starter numbers aren't going to do anything but put you on another bad team in a dog fight. up to you."

i still think you need fitz. losman didn't have a fitz. Edwards didn't have a fitz. I think a young guy needs someone who gets it and can pass that on. Edwards doesn't have accuracy or arm strength. even in this losing streak, the play calling was there and he's off.

better days
12-20-2011, 04:22 PM
It would cost the $10 Mill Bonus if they cut him & nothing more. They can keep him for next year for an additional $7.8 Mill & can pay him a $5 Mill option bonus if they want to, but they don't have to. Per Profootballtalk.com

kishoph
12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Peter King talked about it today, the links I put up were from November, but today WGR made it sound like they can release him almost outright in March, I've been looking for the Peter King article or interview.

Ed
12-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't think there's anyway they release him in March. Even if they want to draft a qb in the first round, they're not going to release him before the draft. They would still keep him as the starter for one more season, or at least the start of next season and go from there.

I don't think we draft a qb early though. Gailey is not going to want to head into his third year basically starting over with a rookie qb. I think they'll make a strong push in free agency to add some key vets and depth, and try to use their first few picks on some impact players. Nix and Gailey need this team to improve next year and make a playoff run to keep their jobs. I just think it's too critical of a year for them to spend a top pick on a qb that may not be able to help them for a couple seasons.

I think they have made their bed with Fitzpatrick at least for one more season and will try to build around him. If they can make the playoffs, it buys them more time to justify keeping their jobs, and if Fitz does not seem like the answer, they can then look at drafting a young qb.

So whether we want or need a new qb may not matter to Nix and Gailey. Plus, I don't think we're going to end up picking high enough to have a shot at RGIII or Barkley. So they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they released Fitz and couldn't draft one of the top prospects.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-20-2011, 06:13 PM
fitz is not going anywhere. its too logical and obvious that we need a reall qb.. so obvious that the bills front office will no do it

YardRat
12-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Fitz isn't getting cut, regardless of what anybody thinks whether it's the right move or not.

BertSquirtgum
12-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Fitz isn't getting cut, regardless of what anybody thinks whether it's the right move or not.

Why not? Is it because OBD is too stubborn to admit their mistake? Carolina and Cleveland weren't afraid to do it. Why would the Bills?

more cowbell
12-21-2011, 12:06 AM
This would be a PR nightmare for the all-mighty Russ...he would never allow this to happen...admitting a mistake? nope...he'll just get Chris Brown to lick his grundle and craft several off-season articles showcasing positive attributes of Fitzpatrick.

ServoBillieves
12-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Week 1: "Wow, Fitzy looked pretty good"

Week 6: "PAY THE MAN, wow we really need to keep Fitzy, he's the future!"

Week 10: "Well he did good earlier, he'll pick it back up"

Week 15: "CUT FITZPATRICK! HE'S A WORTHLESS PIECE OF ****!"

I love Buffalo fans.

Night Train
12-21-2011, 05:08 AM
They'll stack excuses sky high for Fitz and every other shortcoming, knowing ticket sales are on the line.

They could do a lot of things but as I stated in another thread, they're too old in their thinking. Stubborn to a fault and that doesn't work with a fan base with a very short attention span ( what have you done for me lately ? ).

12 years of no post-season shouldn't mean " staying the course " . It should mean a major change but this franchise is too entrenched with comfortable yes men who treat winning as secondary.

jamze132
12-21-2011, 07:20 AM
I'd like to know what the hell happened to him? Does he have a Jekyll & Hyde personality or something??? When do they have to void his contract by?

I'd say there's no choice but to do it. Let's hope we get low enough and that a decent top3 QB falls to us in the draft. We do need to go strong in FA then and get the OLB we need there (and maybe another in the 2nd rd)!!!
The only time Fitz is any good is when people around him are good. He isn't good enough to carry a team on his shoulders and will never be that good. That's Super Bowl good.

mysticsoto
12-21-2011, 07:51 AM
The only time Fitz is any good is when people around him are good. He isn't good enough to carry a team on his shoulders and will never be that good. That's Super Bowl good.

How does becoming an interception machine become the fault of those around him? Yes, the Oline has been decimated by injuries, but almost everyone is back now except Wood. One has to blame either him or the receivers, and though they have much more dropped passes than I would like, the cause of many of the interceptions appears to be on him!

mybills
12-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Yes and no.

The only time any QB is good is when they have good players around them. And COACHES around them. That's what makes them "SB good". As much as people suck on Tom Brady's ___s, he was not the one that won those SBs. Granted, he helped, he was one reason, but if it weren't for their clutch kicker all 3 times..and the other talent, like Troy Brown, well you get the point.

My feeling is this..Fitz is not the only problem with this team. He is one of the problems, just like Brady was one of the reasons. This coaching has always been missing something that other teams have found in their coaches.

Perserverance? Tough love? Water off a duck's back? I personally think they're too soft.