PDA

View Full Version : courtney upshaw bandwagon

djjimkelly
12-23-2011, 12:46 PM
now that i know we arent getting barkley

i am officially starting this bandwagon

i could give a rats ass if we pick from 7 to 15 this is the guy our team requires

pass rushing OLB is our number 1 need this guy is a ****ing beast

WE NEED HIM

no more chris kelsey OLB or spencer johnson OLB we need someone who was made to play this!!!!!!!

cookie G
12-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Some guys can get sacks but then let a RB get to the outside on the next 3 plays;

Some guys can get in the backfield and then allow a reverse or a cutback run around him.

He's not like that. Smart, disciplined football player from a top notch defensive program. He's been taught right.

From what I've seen of him, he's a good, not great pass rusher. But he always seems to provide pressure. Part of that might be lack of elite quickness, part of that might be the way Alabama plays...they're more disciplined than most.

He wouldn't end of the pass rush woes, but few would. He's just a damn fine LB who would improve the D. I'd have no problem taking him.

Don't Panic
12-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Fully agreed. If Griffin is off the board I am all for Upshaw. He fills a MAJOR need and would pair well with our ILBs and Williams/Dareus to make the front seven a strength again.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
i agree, take upshaw

Ickybaluky
12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Terrific player, but strikes me as a tweener in the NFL. Isn't real tall or big, so I don't think he projects to DE as well, although he does play pretty tough against the run at Alabama. As an OLB he is no sure bet, because he will be required to play in a space a lot more. He is a good athlete and closes well, but there is a big difference between playing OLB in the NFL and what he does at Alabama.

Just seems to be a risky pick that high, since he is a bit of a projection. Love him as a player. I've read that some scouts project him to ILB in the NFL as well. Just not sure where he is a position-fit.

Mahdi
12-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Terrific player, but strikes me as a tweener in the NFL. Isn't real tall or big, so I don't think he projects to DE as well, although he does play pretty tough against the run at Alabama. As an OLB he is no sure bet, because he will be required to play in a space a lot more. He is a good athlete and closes well, but there is a big difference between playing OLB in the NFL and what he does at Alabama.

Just seems to be a risky pick that high, since he is a bit of a projection. Love him as a player. I've read that some scouts project him to ILB in the NFL as well. Just not sure where he is a position-fit.
He's 263 pounds at 6'2. That's pretty stout.

kingJofNYC
12-23-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't think he's a risky pick at all, he's a safe bet. If anything he's too safe. When you're drafting that high you want impact and I don't think Upshaw is an impact pass rusher. At best he's Lamarr Woodley, poor mans Woodley most likely. At worst he's a better Anthony Spencer.

He doesn't have much sudeness, locks on and drives through a tackle, good bull rush/power but you don't see that quick change of direction that would take his game to the next level. Not much speed or explosiveness.

Guy who intrigues me is Bruce Irvin, that 335 stack D hasn't helped his cause. Gets crazy bend around the corner, dips his hips well, great change of direction, and top notch explosivess/speed. But he's a situational pass rusher right now, liability in the run game and probably can't cover though he was a huge safety prospect coming out of HS.

better days
12-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I can't think of a player I would rather have the Bills draft than Upshaw if RGIII is gone which he will be when the Bills draft.

kingJofNYC
12-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd love Upshaw, in the second round.

Or trade down into the late teens or early 20s, he's not a top 10 talent.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-23-2011, 02:17 PM
His overal game is impressive. He hasnt racked up a ton of sacks, but has a ton of tackles for loss the last two years. I believe 30.5, not only does he help with the pass rush, he helps the run game.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-23-2011, 02:27 PM
if the bills draft him he will suck so bad he will never see the field
if someone else drafts him he will be an all pro in 2 years

hows that for being a negative nancy LOL :)

better days
12-23-2011, 02:34 PM

I will bet you that Upshaw will be drafted in the FIRST Rnd. If a player is there that you WANT you have to take him with your pick, by trading down you risk losing that player.

There is no better OLB in this draft that I am aware of than Upshaw. Add in the fact OLB is the Bills biggest NEED & I say take him & don't look back.

gonzo1105
12-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I actually think the best pure rushing 3-4 olb in this draft will be Brandon Jenkins of Florida State. He has the explosiveness off the line and is athletic enough to cover out of the backfield. He's 6'3 265 pounds will run a 4.5 and has 21.5 sacks as a two year starter. He will rise up boards as the draft gets closer because of his athleticism. He's only a junior and has yet to declare but don't be surprised if buffalo takes him if he's available

stuckincincy
12-23-2011, 03:24 PM
I will bet you that Upshaw will be drafted in the FIRST Rnd. If a player is there that you WANT you have to take him with your pick, by trading down you risk losing that player.

There is no better OLB in this draft that I am aware of than Upshaw. Add in the fact OLB is the Bills biggest NEED & I say take him & don't look back.

Do you like the current OL staff? When the injured come back -and if, are they capable of carrying the Bills all the way to the big prize?

:nervous:

YardRat
12-23-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm OK with Upshaw or Kirkpatrick, but the way we're going to end the season and where we're going to end up the best OT may be available.

tampabay25690
12-23-2011, 06:35 PM
I think last week I posted that the best fit for the Bills is Upshaw.
WIN WIN if we can land him and he would instantly be put in day 1 just like Dareus.
Would be very happy with the pick....

Dareus might have some insight to the coaches about him too....

You know Buddy and Chan like the guys down South so Im sure he will be on there radar and a OBVIOUS need for the Bills.....

tampabay25690
12-23-2011, 06:36 PM

You are crazy please watch some College ball then...He is a top talent and will probably rise more then fall....

TigerJ
12-23-2011, 08:41 PM
I think Upshaw will help the Bills.. It is curious that as the Bills have risen in the draft, mockers who have had him going to Buffalo in the late teens or early twenties now have him going to Buffalo at #10 overall. Has the perception of his value changed, or are these mockers locked in to sending him to Buffalo wherever the Bills pick. I think he'll be a good all around outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense, and he could probably play some defensive end in a 4-3. As has been said, he's not going to have great sack totals. If Buffalo drafts him, they still need to be looking for a situational pass rusher at some point. We can't count on Shawne Merriman coming back and notching 15 sacks next season.

gonzo1105
12-23-2011, 08:50 PM
I think Upshaw will help the Bills.. It is curious that as the Bills have risen in the draft, mockers who have had him going to Buffalo in the late teens or early twenties now have him going to Buffalo at #10 overall. Has the perception of his value changed, or are these mockers locked in to sending him to Buffalo wherever the Bills pick. I think he'll be a good all around outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense, and he could probably play some defensive end in a 4-3. As has been said, he's not going to have great sack totals. If Buffalo drafts him, they still need to be looking for a situational pass rusher at some point. We can't count on Shawne Merriman coming back and notching 15 sacks next season.

I actually believe that Upshaw is more of a trade down option as well as Brandon Jenkins. The Bills,pending they don't beat the broncos, will likely pick 7th or 8th in the draft and that is simply too high for both olb's. I feel that if Quinton Coples DE from UNC is there they would take him as their pass rusher and then try to grab a olb later in the draft.

kingJofNYC
12-23-2011, 09:50 PM
You are crazy please watch some College ball then...He is a top talent and will probably rise more then fall....
I do watch. Point still stands, he is not a top 10 or even top 15 talent. You can read my thoughts on him, but I'm sticking to what I said. I'd love him in the 2nd, great value there, would only take him in the first if we trade down to the late teens or twenties.

Eagerly await his pedstrian combine numbers. Dude played on one of the best defenses in the country, one of the best in the last couple of decades, but never hit double digit sacks, nuff said.

DraftBoy
12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Only one issue...I'm not actually sure he's a 34 OLB.

He's listed at 6'2 but I think he's shorter, to me he's a 34 ILB or 43 DE.

Crisis
12-23-2011, 10:55 PM

So he'll be playing out of his ideal position? He's as good as ours.

gonzo1105
12-23-2011, 11:09 PM

That's why i've been saying Brandon Jenkins of FSU, he will be the first olb off the board. He's been productive in college,he has a quick first step,and he is gonna blow up the combine. People need to watch his tape and see how great a difference there is in quickness between the two(upshaw and jenkins). Its not even comparable. Both are two year starters and Upshaw has 15.5 sacks while Jenkins has 21. Jenkins has 32.5 TFL while Upshaw has 31.5. Upshaw is better against the run but Jenkins has improved and looks like he can add more muscle to his 265 pound frame.If im taking someone at OLB in the high first round give me Jenkins.

Lone Stranger
12-24-2011, 06:33 AM
You all are way off target; it will either be a CB or RB, the only players the Bills seem to target at #1.

YardRat
12-24-2011, 08:15 AM

People can watch college football and still have a different opinion than yours, you know.

YardRat
12-24-2011, 08:17 AM
That's why i've been saying Brandon Jenkins of FSU, he will be the first olb off the board. He's been productive in college,he has a quick first step,and he is gonna blow up the combine. People need to watch his tape and see how great a difference there is in quickness between the two(upshaw and jenkins). Its not even comparable. Both are two year starters and Upshaw has 15.5 sacks while Jenkins has 21. Jenkins has 32.5 TFL while Upshaw has 31.5. Upshaw is better against the run but Jenkins has improved and looks like he can add more muscle to his 265 pound frame.If im taking someone at OLB in the high first round give me Jenkins.

'Blowing up the combine' shouldn't even be a factor. I'm not disagreeing with your perception of Jenkins in any manner, but they really should just dismantle that glorified track and field meet. Anybody that makes a personnel decision based on combine results is a dumbass.

better days
12-24-2011, 08:38 AM
People can watch college football and still have a different opinion than yours, you know.

That is true & unless a person pays for the ESPN College package they will only see what is shown in the area they live.

That said, Both Tampa & I live in Fla & see a lot of SEC games. It is the best Conference in College without debate. I agree with Tampa myself, Upshaw will go high in the draft.

tampabay25690
12-24-2011, 09:07 AM
I do watch. Point still stands, he is not a top 10 or even top 15 talent. You can read my thoughts on him, but I'm sticking to what I said. I'd love him in the 2nd, great value there, would only take him in the first if we trade down to the late teens or twenties.

Eagerly await his pedstrian combine numbers. Dude played on one of the best defenses in the country, one of the best in the last couple of decades, but never hit double digit sacks, nuff said.

If you think Upshaw is a 2nd round talent you really need to do research....
SO you need double digit sacks to be a a GREAT DE/OLB????
Come on

tampabay25690
12-24-2011, 09:12 AM
That is true & unless a person pays for the ESPN College package they will only see what is shown in the area they live.

That said, Both Tampa & I live in Fla & see a lot of SEC games. It is the best Conference in College without debate. I agree with Tampa myself, Upshaw will go high in the draft.

Wait for ESPN to start to hype him up then all of a sudden the board will want to draft him.

Last year Dareus was a mid round 1st rounder then the combine came and ESPN started doing Mocks....He went to us at #3....
Remember 1 thing he will play in the biggest college game in a few weeks and everyone can watch him vs the best team in the country.

Actually everyone needs to watch the amount of NFL prospects that are in that game....It's Sick.....

Upshaw plays vs the best all year just like Dareus did last year at Bama.....

Bama prepares there guys for the NFL where other schools just prepare them to be good players.........

Upshaw will be ready for the NFL and a top 10 talent..

DraftBoy
12-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Wait for ESPN to start to hype him up then all of a sudden the board will want to draft him.

Last year Dareus was a mid round 1st rounder then the combine came and ESPN started doing Mocks....He went to us at #3....
Remember 1 thing he will play in the biggest college game in a few weeks and everyone can watch him vs the best team in the country.

Actually everyone needs to watch the amount of NFL prospects that are in that game....It's Sick.....

Upshaw plays vs the best all year just like Dareus did last year at Bama.....

Bama prepares there guys for the NFL where other schools just prepare them to be good players.........

Upshaw will be ready for the NFL and a top 10 talent..

I have to disagree with most of what you said here.

The SEC is the best conference but Dareus was not considered a mid 1st at this point last year and I dont think Upshaw is a top 10 guy or even an OLB.

better days
12-24-2011, 10:01 AM

The SEC is the best conference but Dareus was not considered a mid 1st at this point last year and I dont think Upshaw is a top 10 guy or even an OLB.

I seem to remember Dareus going from 10-20 EARLY in the Mocks last year. Where do you think Upshaw goes in this draft?

I also remember you saying Tebow would never be drafted in the 1st rnd & should not be drafted before the 6th a couple years ago.

mjt328
12-24-2011, 10:05 AM
I've only watched some gamefilm on Courtney Upshaw, but he did not make a good impression.

He makes absolutely NO EFFORT to chase down plays when the runner isn't in his gap. I call that lazy.

His pass rushing is inconsistent, because he doesn't have many pass rush moves. He's not incredibly fast. He's not incredibly strong.

better days
12-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I've only watched some gamefilm on Courtney Upshaw, but he did not make a good impression.

He makes absolutely NO EFFORT to chase down plays when the runner isn't in his gap. I call that lazy.

His pass rushing is inconsistent, because he doesn't have many pass rush moves. He's not incredibly fast. He's not incredibly strong.

Well, you will get a chance to watch Upshaw soon. Against very good competition. I think you will change your mind after seeing him play.

tampabay25690
12-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Thats cool.
OLB I think he will end up in a 3-4.
Sorry was Dareus later????

Maybe a month before the draft the hype started about him being a top player taken.
When all said in done especially since Barkley stays in school, RG3, and Landry Jones possibly staying put. Upshaw will be a top 10 guy.....
I can see maybe top 15 if you want to stretch it.
But for anyone to say he is a 2nd rounder, well I need to research my players better then....

mjt328
12-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Well, you will get a chance to watch Upshaw soon. Against very good competition. I think you will change your mind after seeing him play.

I've watched film from four full games of his this year (Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee). It was just one time through, so it was more to get a first impression than to do a thorough breakdown.

I just don't think he's going to be that great.

tampabay25690
12-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I seem to remember Dareus going from 10-20 EARLY in the Mocks last year. Where do you think Upshaw goes in this draft?

I also remember you saying Tebow would never be drafted in the 1st rnd & should not be drafted before the 6th a couple years ago.

You never know what teams are thinking.
Anyone of us may think a guy is worth a certain grade but if 1 GM falls in luv with a guy (PONDER) then he gets drafted way earlier then expected.....

mjt328
12-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Dareus was generally considered a #10-15 pick around this time last year.
I usually saw him as the fourth lineman taken, after Nick Fairly, DaQuan Bowers and Robert Quinn.

He shot up the draft boards after the combine and when teams started realizing he had the versatility to play DE or DT and in a 4-3 or 3-4.

tampabay25690
12-24-2011, 11:09 AM
I usually saw him as the fourth lineman taken, after Nick Fairly, DaQuan Bowers and Robert Quinn.

He shot up the draft boards after the combine and when teams started realizing he had the versatility to play DE or DT and in a 4-3 or 3-4.

To be honest I couldnt remember.
I know his Bowl game vs Mich St helped a ton.
He was unblockable in that game in Orlando....

DraftBoy
12-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Don't know what Mocks you saw then. He was a consensus top 10 pick the whole way.

Upshaw is a 1st Rounder probably in the 10-20 range, a lot will depend on if Jenkins and other juniors come out or not.

I stand by that statement 100%.

DraftBoy
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM

You can argue all you like but nobody ever had Fairley ahead of Dareus.

DraftBoy
12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Thats cool.
OLB I think he will end up in a 3-4.
Sorry was Dareus later????

Maybe a month before the draft the hype started about him being a top player taken.
When all said in done especially since Barkley stays in school, RG3, and Landry Jones possibly staying put. Upshaw will be a top 10 guy.....
I can see maybe top 15 if you want to stretch it.
But for anyone to say he is a 2nd rounder, well I need to research my players better then....

Dareus was a consensus top 10 pick as long as he declared, there was never a doubt about that.

Don't see it, QB's won't be the one that hurts Upshaw. I think he's a first rounder but I think he's 10-20 right now. I don't think he's going to test great either. He's going to measure shorter than 6'2 and run in the mid 4.6 to low 4.7 range. Like I said 34 ILB not OLB. More Lawrence Timmons than anything else.