• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djjimkelly
    • Apr 2003

courtney upshaw bandwagon

now that i know we arent getting barkley

i am officially starting this bandwagon

i could give a rats ass if we pick from 7 to 15 this is the guy our team requires

pass rushing OLB is our number 1 need this guy is a ****ing beast

WE NEED HIM

no more chris kelsey OLB or spencer johnson OLB we need someone who was made to play this!!!!!!!
  • cookie G
    • Mar 2003

Re: courtney upshaw bandwagon

Some guys can get sacks but then let a RB get to the outside on the next 3 plays;

Some guys can get in the backfield and then allow a reverse or a cutback run around him.

He's not like that. Smart, disciplined football player from a top notch defensive program. He's been taught right.

From what I've seen of him, he's a good, not great pass rusher. But he always seems to provide pressure. Part of that might be lack of elite quickness, part of that might be the way Alabama plays...they're more disciplined than most.

He wouldn't end of the pass rush woes, but few would. He's just a damn fine LB who would improve the D. I'd have no problem taking him.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Fully agreed. If Griffin is off the board I am all for Upshaw. He fills a MAJOR need and would pair well with our ILBs and Williams/Dareus to make the front seven a strength again.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
        • Jan 2010

i agree, take upshaw

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

Terrific player, but strikes me as a tweener in the NFL. Isn't real tall or big, so I don't think he projects to DE as well, although he does play pretty tough against the run at Alabama. As an OLB he is no sure bet, because he will be required to play in a space a lot more. He is a good athlete and closes well, but there is a big difference between playing OLB in the NFL and what he does at Alabama.

Just seems to be a risky pick that high, since he is a bit of a projection. Love him as a player. I've read that some scouts project him to ILB in the NFL as well. Just not sure where he is a position-fit.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
            Terrific player, but strikes me as a tweener in the NFL. Isn't real tall or big, so I don't think he projects to DE as well, although he does play pretty tough against the run at Alabama. As an OLB he is no sure bet, because he will be required to play in a space a lot more. He is a good athlete and closes well, but there is a big difference between playing OLB in the NFL and what he does at Alabama.

Just seems to be a risky pick that high, since he is a bit of a projection. Love him as a player. I've read that some scouts project him to ILB in the NFL as well. Just not sure where he is a position-fit.
            He's 263 pounds at 6'2. That's pretty stout.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

I don't think he's a risky pick at all, he's a safe bet. If anything he's too safe. When you're drafting that high you want impact and I don't think Upshaw is an impact pass rusher. At best he's Lamarr Woodley, poor mans Woodley most likely. At worst he's a better Anthony Spencer.

He doesn't have much sudeness, locks on and drives through a tackle, good bull rush/power but you don't see that quick change of direction that would take his game to the next level. Not much speed or explosiveness.

Guy who intrigues me is Bruce Irvin, that 335 stack D hasn't helped his cause. Gets crazy bend around the corner, dips his hips well, great change of direction, and top notch explosivess/speed. But he's a situational pass rusher right now, liability in the run game and probably can't cover though he was a huge safety prospect coming out of HS.
              Last edited by kingJofNYC; 12-23-2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

I can't think of a player I would rather have the Bills draft than Upshaw if RGIII is gone which he will be when the Bills draft.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                  • Sep 2009

I'd love Upshaw, in the second round.

Or trade down into the late teens or early 20s, he's not a top 10 talent.
                  Last edited by kingJofNYC; 12-23-2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                    • Feb 2009

His overal game is impressive. He hasnt racked up a ton of sacks, but has a ton of tackles for loss the last two years. I believe 30.5, not only does he help with the pass rush, he helps the run game.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                      The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                      • Feb 2005

if the bills draft him he will suck so bad he will never see the field
                      if someone else drafts him he will be an all pro in 2 years

hows that for being a negative nancy LOL :)
                      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kingJofNYC
                        I'd love Upshaw, in the second round.

Or trade down into the late teens or early 20s, he's not a top 10 talent.
                        I will bet you that Upshaw will be drafted in the FIRST Rnd. If a player is there that you WANT you have to take him with your pick, by trading down you risk losing that player.

There is no better OLB in this draft that I am aware of than Upshaw. Add in the fact OLB is the Bills biggest NEED & I say take him & don't look back.

Comment

• gonzo1105
                          • Jul 2002

I actually think the best pure rushing 3-4 olb in this draft will be Brandon Jenkins of Florida State. He has the explosiveness off the line and is athletic enough to cover out of the backfield. He's 6'3 265 pounds will run a 4.5 and has 21.5 sacks as a two year starter. He will rise up boards as the draft gets closer because of his athleticism. He's only a junior and has yet to declare but don't be surprised if buffalo takes him if he's available

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by better days
                            I will bet you that Upshaw will be drafted in the FIRST Rnd. If a player is there that you WANT you have to take him with your pick, by trading down you risk losing that player.

There is no better OLB in this draft that I am aware of than Upshaw. Add in the fact OLB is the Bills biggest NEED & I say take him & don't look back.
                            Do you like the current OL staff? When the injured come back -and if, are they capable of carrying the Bills all the way to the big prize?

Last edited by stuckincincy; 12-23-2011, 03:25 PM.
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

I'm OK with Upshaw or Kirkpatrick, but the way we're going to end the season and where we're going to end up the best OT may be available.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X