PDA

View Full Version : CJ Spiller may have a breakout year next season

Skooby
12-24-2011, 04:02 PM
If Chan decides to play him on most downs. The guy improves nearly every week & Denver has a good defense as well, CJ just outran them all.

Go Bills!!

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2011, 04:10 PM
he should be the starter next year. jmo.

Mahdi
12-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Nope sorry, too many guys on here already labeled him a bust... not gon happen.

SJ is also not a #1.

YardRat
12-24-2011, 04:20 PM
This is the first game in his pro career, ever, that he's resembled an actual NFL running back. He hit the holes he was supposed to, and showed off his burst when he got to the second level. Looked OK in pass protection also.

I still don't think he'll ever be a complete feature back, but if he can keep improving he could make a more than adequate replacement for Freddie when he hits the wall.

Nice problem to have.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
hes the next marshall faulk...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2011, 04:29 PM
if we can get a healthy merriman back next year and draft courtney upshaw, our pass rush should improve dramatically. hoping for 9 wins next year and a wild card.

Novacane
12-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Merriman will never contribute to this team.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-24-2011, 04:34 PM
This is the first game in his pro career, ever, that he's resembled an actual NFL running back. He hit the holes he was supposed to, and showed off his burst when he got to the second level. Looked OK in pass protection also.

I still don't think he'll ever be a complete feature back, but if he can keep improving he could make a more than adequate replacement for Freddie when he hits the wall.

Nice problem to have.

i disagree. i think the last three games he's looked very good. not just today.

ZAZusmc03
12-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Its amazing the way he has improved week after week. Funny how the reps and experience have had such an impact. Who would have thought....

Mahdi
12-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Nice problem to have.
Really, guess you weren't watching the last 4 weeks...He has produced on the ground and as a receiver so not sure what you mean there.

Thurmal
12-24-2011, 04:54 PM
i disagree. i think the last three games he's looked very good. not just today.
Exactly right; he's looked good for weeks...great avatar too. "Greed iiiissss Goooooddd!"

HAMMER
12-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Nice problem to have.

Holy hater, you must have missed the last few games. This post is Miyagiesque in it's ignorance.

trapezeus
12-24-2011, 05:28 PM
the bills next step to improve is to run spiller some more and then instead of going to tashard choice after his big run, go to freddie.

a freddie/spiller 1-2 punch could make the whole, "we are sticking with fitz" thing much more bareable.

but we all know we aren't keeping fred jackson. the bills refuse to pay for depth despite continuously having depth issues.

YardRat
12-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Some of you guys are laughable.

Spiller has shown flashes the last few weeks, but nothing as consistent as today.

He has had great plays...today he had a great game.

Mahdi
12-24-2011, 06:39 PM

Spiller has shown flashes the last few weeks, but nothing as consistent as today.

Yeah I guess 91 yards rushing and 9 rec for 76 yards and 2 TDs last week was a flash.

Maybe you're talking about his speed...?

Dr. Pepper
12-24-2011, 06:49 PM
CJ Spiller finally breaking out means......

the Bills will draft Trent Richardson!!!

Night Train
12-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Spiller isn't a star by any stretch but he's not a bust. Never should have been selected but whether he's a rb or slot wr,he should be on the field most every offensive play because he's thr fastest guy in the stadium every week and scares the *****t out of opposing D's.

Mr. Pink
12-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Too bad Fred Jackson is better and next year, barring trade or injury, Spiller will be back to riding the pines.

TigerJ
12-24-2011, 09:13 PM
I expect Fred Jackson to come back strong next year. I think the coaching staff is going to plan on using both in balanced fashion now that they know CJ Spiller can play. It may be tough for both to get a thousand yards, but overall, the rushing game should be better for it.

sqad5
12-24-2011, 11:21 PM

How the **** can spiller be consistent,if our ******ed coach gives him 2 carries in the second half and completely takes spiller out of the game,just like today spiller should of got almost all the touches and choice should of got like 3 or 4...gailey is a stubborn fool

YardRat
12-25-2011, 08:16 AM
How the **** can spiller be consistent,if our ******ed coach gives him 2 carries in the second half and completely takes spiller out of the game,just like today spiller should of got almost all the touches and choice should of got like 3 or 4...gailey is a stubborn fool

I was anticipating the 'he doesn't get the ball enough' argument...it was obviously inevitable.

He doesn't get the ball because he's not an every-down back and he never will be.

THATHURMANATOR
12-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Wait remember Fred Jackson was one of best RBs in the game before injury. This is shaping up to be a dynamic duo.

Mahdi
12-25-2011, 09:51 PM
I was anticipating the 'he doesn't get the ball enough' argument...it was obviously inevitable.

He doesn't get the ball because he's not an every-down back and he never will be.
WTH are you talking about him not being an every down back? Where is your evidence of that? I only see evidence that completely refutes that claim. Namely, the over 5 ypc he is getting, he is getting his yards running inside and outside, AND he is contributing as a receiver on EVERY down including 3rd down.

So exactly what down is it he is not contributing on or in what way that excludes him as an every down back?

Skooby
12-25-2011, 10:04 PM
WTH are you talking about him not being an every down back? Where is your evidence of that? I only see evidence that completely refutes that claim. Namely, the over 5 ypc he is getting, he is getting his yards running inside and outside, AND he is contributing as a receiver on EVERY down including 3rd down.

So exactly what down is it he is not contributing on or in what way that excludes him as an every down back?

I think he can just as easily play WR or RB, just get him the ball and turn on the jets.

BertSquirtgum
12-25-2011, 10:21 PM
There is no reason for him to be lining up as a receiver. If they want him to run a route he should still line up in the backfield.

YardRat
12-26-2011, 06:08 AM
WTH are you talking about him not being an every down back? Where is your evidence of that?

If you can point to any game he's played at the NFL level (including the last few) where he's been an every down back, feel free to point it out. Facts are 'evidence', 'potential' is conjecture.

Yes he can run, yes he can catch...that doesn't make him an every down back. It isn't skill set that determines that, it's performance and endurance.

Mahdi
12-26-2011, 08:04 AM
If you can point to any game he's played at the NFL level (including the last few) where he's been an every down back, feel free to point it out. Facts are 'evidence', 'potential' is conjecture.

Yes he can run, yes he can catch...that doesn't make him an every down back. It isn't skill set that determines that, it's performance and endurance.
Great, so where has he failed to perform or endure???

The problem with your argument is that you have your terms confused. An every down back is a RB that can be used on every down. As in, if you want to run inside you can use him, if you want to run outside you can use him and if you want to use him on 3rd down you can use him.

What you are talking about is a work horse RB or a 30 carry per game RB and he may or may not be that as Gailey hasn't given him the chance.

However, its all irrelevant because there are very few 30 carry RBs now because coaches prefer to use 2 and sometimes 3 RBs in their game plans.

And also, the RBs in the NFL who do get 30 carries usually don't get used in the passing game and on 3rd down, except for maybe Arian Foster and Tomlinson back in the day and Fred Jackson. And, even they don't get 30 carries.

So to sum up, Spiller IS an every down back, he is yet to show or be given the opportunity to be a work horse RB, big difference.

YardRat
12-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Great, so where has he failed to perform or endure???

The problem with your argument is that you have your terms confused. An every down back is a RB that can be used on every down. As in, if you want to run inside you can use him, if you want to run outside you can use him and if you want to use him on 3rd down you can use him.

What you are talking about is a work horse RB or a 30 carry per game RB and he may or may not be that as Gailey hasn't given him the chance.

However, its all irrelevant because there are very few 30 carry RBs now because coaches prefer to use 2 and sometimes 3 RBs in their game plans.

And also, the RBs in the NFL who do get 30 carries usually don't get used in the passing game and on 3rd down, except for maybe Arian Foster and Tomlinson back in the day and Fred Jackson. And, even they don't get 30 carries.

So to sum up, Spiller IS an every down back, he is yet to show or be given the opportunity to be a work horse RB, big difference.

Good point, I was actually thinking the same thing after my last post...He can be used on most downs, but he'll never be a feature or workhorse back, or a guy that you can count on in short yardage situations or a time-consuming run-oriented drive, and that's where a back like Freddie gets the nod.

Both can run (Spiller does seem to be getting better at decision-making, hitting holes and between the tackles), both can catch, both can block (again, because Spiller appears to be getting better at blitz recognition and pick ups), but the bottom line is when you need that tough one or two yards to keep a drive alive, or need to put the team on somebody's back for a series or an entire game Spiller is not the guy that will be able to do that...Freddie is though.

Spiller is an every-down back (almost). Freddie definitely is an every-down back and a feature back, or workhorse, whatever you want to call it.

Mahdi
12-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Good point, I was actually thinking the same thing after my last post...He can be used on most downs, but he'll never be a feature or workhorse back, or a guy that you can count on in short yardage situations or a time-consuming run-oriented drive, and that's where a back like Freddie gets the nod.

Both can run (Spiller does seem to be getting better at decision-making, hitting holes and between the tackles), both can catch, both can block (again, because Spiller appears to be getting better at blitz recognition and pick ups), but the bottom line is when you need that tough one or two yards to keep a drive alive, or need to put the team on somebody's back for a series or an entire game Spiller is not the guy that will be able to do that...Freddie is though.

Spiller is an every-down back (almost). Freddie definitely is an every-down back and a feature back, or workhorse, whatever you want to call it.
Well I disagree with one point and agree with one.

I disagree that he is not a feature back. Any back that can do what Spiller does is a feature RB. He'll get you 100 yards on the ground, catch and score from anywhere on the field. That is definitely a feature back.

However, he is not a short yardage RB, which is fine though, some of the best RBs in the history of football weren't short yardage RBs. When you need that one yard many coaches have a guy on the roster for that purpose. Keeps your feature back from taking a beating too.

YardRat
12-26-2011, 10:59 AM
He's had exactly one 100-yard game, and he's scored a whopping 6 TD's in 29 games. He surpassed 35+yards rushing one time before Freddie's injury. His longest run this season is 38 yards, his longest reception is 19 yards.

He has yet to show the big play ability at the NFL level that he did in college, and the perception that he can score any time he touches the ball, from anywhere on the field, is obviously incorrect, because he hasn't done it...Ever.

better days
12-26-2011, 11:19 AM

You were expecting the "he doesn't get the ball enough" argument, because you know that it is a FACT. He has had few carries since he was drafted.

He may not be an every down back, but these last two games he sure looks like he could be.

The Jokeman
12-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Merriman will never contribute to this team.
Not on the field but in the locker room etc. I think Merriman did add some things we lacked. As I can't help notice that things started to fall apart when he left. I also think he did well in recruiting guys like Barnett to come here etc. With the Bills so far from the cap I say keep him around for another season. As who knows maybe he can help us land someone else. Yet I'm all for drafting his replacement in the 1st Round/2nd Round and/or bringing in a veteran pass rusher to replace him on the field (John Abraham).

In terms of Spiller, he's doing just what I thought he'd do. Show enough to make us think we have a replacement for Fred Jackson. The issue whether or not Freddie could stomach being benched if CJ outplays him next preseason if hold an open competition. I'm leaning toward no based on some things from this preseason but I don't care as I say keep them both just "in case" and might even consider keeping Tashard around and moving Johnny White to the practice squad next year.

YardRat
12-26-2011, 11:42 AM
You were expecting the "he doesn't get the ball enough" argument, because you know that it is a FACT. He has had few carries since he was drafted.

He may not be an every down back, but these last two games he sure looks like he could be.

He didn't do dick with the carries he did get prior to FJ's injury. Let's not forget, in the Gailey era, Spiller got the shots before Freddie and didn't produce.

better days
12-26-2011, 11:48 AM
He didn't do dick with the carries he did get prior to FJ's injury. Let's not forget, in the Gailey era, Spiller got the shots before Freddie and didn't produce.

I am pretty sure Spiller has averaged over 4 yds/ carry for his career so far. I think that is producing.

methos4ever
12-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Wait remember Fred Jackson was one of best RBs in the game before injury. This is shaping up to be a dynamic duo.
I'm actually looking forward to next year with CJ running a 40+ yard run and pulling him for Fred at Goal-line, instead of Choice. And vice versa with Fred pounding guys and CJ scooting for a quick strike score...

YardRat
12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
I am pretty sure Spiller has averaged over 4 yds/ carry for his career so far. I think that is producing.

True...4.7 according to NFL.com.

He's had 12 games where he averaged over 4 ypc...11 where he averaged 3 or under. Freddie was 8 for 10 this season with one more @ 3.9 - last season he had 8 for a total of 16, only 5 at 3 or under.

Cleve
12-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Funny how the reps and experience have had such an impact. Who would have thought....

Clearly NOT the head coach... a person we fans would logically think might REALIZE such elementary things. Both fans and sports writers have puzzled for weeks over Gailey's inexplicable, inexcusable failure to use Spiller more frequently - maybe even GAILEY finally realized that Gailey is incompetent and decided to use him more? Or maybe Wilson called Gailey on the sidelines and chided him "I'm paying good money for Spiller - I want to see him used more!!!" And then of course "Yes-Man" Gailey jumped to it.

Gailey clearly needs to spend more time looking at his 'films' or whatever archaic outdated expression he uses.