PDA

View Full Version : buffalo bills scouting

jimbohastle51
12-24-2011, 10:16 PM
have to say over the past couple weeks even though we have been beaten pretty bad until today our young guys have been fairing well. Aaron Williams and Justin Rodgers are getting better and better and today were down right impressive. Shep has been getting better in the middle thanks to having a all pro next to him and dareus has played like a pro bowler from day one. Searcy has been very serviceable when called upon and batten has been a solid special teamer and answered the bell when ask to fill on on defense. Spiller is coming around with the much added playing time and David Nelson is emerging more with every week. have to give the scouting department some credit. another year or 2 of solid drafting and we can put ourselves in a very comfortable place.

madness
12-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Uh oh, I think you may have just crossed the Moats.

Demon
12-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Man, our exceptions have gone to hell with this team losing so much. We just settle for the slightest positives. No wonder this team sucks for so long and people keep on going.

Rogers and Williams looked good and have looked "better"? No kidding, their football players. It's what they do. Play football. Some times they look better then other times. Sometimes they are just horrible. It's what professional football players do.

Batton and Searcy have looked good? In what? Garbage time and special teams? Who cares if their making tackles on special teams? I mean, sure, we need someone to do it, but to applaud them for it? C'mon.

Besides Dareus, who at pick 3, was almost impossible to screw it up since other options at this pick are also studs, i like Shep most. But, he's far from a game changer yet, but it could change. So, out of 2 drafts, we may have 2 big time game changers? YES! GO US!

Where is Trout? What is Carrington doing? How about Ed Wang? Artur Moats? Besides the Jeremy White stupid saying, he's been a compete ghost on defense. I would bring up Batton again, but i don't want to upset people with our preseason MVP and our special team stud. Yikes.

This team had a great game, on TIM TEBOW, the guy who wins with 10 passes a game. Today, he had to air it out. In a bad stadium for QBs as is. And we took advantage of it. Last week, Reggie Bush rushed 200 yards on us.

In the 4th round, we selected Chris Hairston, yes, our master drafter really showed he knew Marshawn Lynch's value with that one. Fair tradeoff.

David Nelson is a nice story. Not a star, probably not even a starting WR on any team in the NFL, but a nice #3 option to have. But, if the Bills knew how good he would be (well, THIS good, let's not make him be better then he is), they would not have let him hit the post-draft market.

We don't need average players. We've had average players from top to bottom for the past 11 years. Players like these is why we're in the situation that we are! We need game changers. We need stars. We need leaders.

Out of the 18 draft picks Buddy Nix has had, only 2 look very promising. This is a way to turnaround the franchise?

With this theory, we should call Marv Levy back, see if he can take over GM duties, and see if Dick Jauron will return too. After all, they landed Kyle Williams, Marshawn Lynch, Demitriues Bell, Fred Jackson and Stevie Johnson.....

AIM higher people. We can do better. These guys need to be responsible for not doing better!

Merry Christmas all.

kingJofNYC
12-25-2011, 03:14 AM
Only two look promising, lololololololol.

Hopefully Santa brings you a brain because you're ****ing clueless.

Love how you crown Dareus king when the run D is still **** and he gets mauled in the run game. He's been wildly inconsistent and yet you give him a pass while trashing Searcy who has looked very good in his limited snaps at safety, and you just write off Williams. Not to mention Rogers who looks like a great return man who can cover a bit, all for the low price of a 7th round pick.

You can't have superstars at every position. Need a full compliment of players, let's see what they do next year.

If Searcy had more speed the guy would be a really good prospect, I've been really impressed with his tackling and run/pass instincts. Good in the box safety. My favorite pick of the regime so far. Seems like a good kid too.

better days
12-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Besides Dareus, who at pick 3, was almost impossible to screw it up since other options at this pick are also studs, i like Shep most. But, he's far from a game changer yet, but it could change. So, out of 2 drafts, we may have 2 big time game changers? YES! GO US!

Merry Christmas all.

You are SO WRONG about the 3rd pick in the draft being almost impossible to screw up. The Bills have screwed up high round picks MANY MANY times in the past from Mike Williams the #4 pick a few years ago, Tony Hunter the #4 pick in 1983 to Tom Cousineau FIRST pick in the draft in 1979 to Walt Patulski the FIRST pick of the draft in 1972.

Who would have thought Donte Whittner would have been an option when he was picked or Aaron Maybin? Did you or ANYONE see Maybin as an option when he was picked? I DIDN'T.

gonzo1105
12-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm actually going to defend him. I think that Nix has done a great job. Some of you fans are dilusional. It took Eric Moulds 3 years to be the WR he was. He stunk his first two years and I bet you same fans were the ones who wanted to get rid of him. Dareus in his first year leads the team in sacks(5.5), he has greatly helped the run defense. Aaron Williams and Justin Rogers have brought good life into the secondary. Every week when I watch games, I see Leodis McKelvin and Drayton Florence or our safeties being targeted not Williams and Rogers. Sheppard has been up and down but he is in the top 5 rookie tacklers and he has only started half a season. Searcy has looked ok for a 4th round rookie Safety when he has played. Hairston has showed glimpses of being a pretty good offensive tackle AS A ROOKIE.

Some of your guys expectations of players are way too much . Danny Batten was a 6th round pick. On most teams he would be a special teams contributor and a backup who plays on defense very sparingly but he is pushed into action because frankly we stink. Arthur Moats was a 5th round pick he should be doing the same as Batten. Anyone who thinks that 4-7 rounders should come in and light the world on fire need a a reality check.

When we drafted Angelo Crowell from Virginia in the 3rd round way back he was a backup for 3 years before he became a starter. Moulds was a bustfor 2 years before breaking out. Kyle Williams wasn't a stud in his rookie year. This is the 1st year Eric Wood and Andy Levitre have played up to their lofty expecations and its their 3rd year in the NFL.

THIS ROSTER WAS TERRIBLE WHEN NIX TOOK OVER. Hes not a miracle worker. Im as pessimistic as anyone and i'm sure most will fire back with Terrell Troup, Ed Wang(5th rounder) and Alex Carrington and the luxury pick of C.J. Spiller.

Spiller looks like a great pick. Hes in his 2nd year and he is breaking out. Dont give me the luxury pick stuff because this thread is about his Scouting and how good its been. Well its starting to look like Spiller is the real deal.

Dareus leads the team in sacks, is up there for rookie D-line in tackles, and has helped the run game

Williams has one INT but has had his hands on many other balls that could have been picked. He stripped Reggie Bush leading to our first TD against Miami. Has he been beaten a couple times YES but all defensive backs get beaten.

Rogers(7th round pick) has been dynamic in Kick Returns. A solid special teams player and has been damn good in coverage for a guy who shouldn't be on the field covering team's 2nd and 3rd WR's.

Hairston and Searcy(4th round picks) have been really serviceable and if either become full time starters in the NFL that is a win for Buddy Nix. Hairston already looks like he can be a full time starting RT in this league. Give him another year or two ROOKIES take time to develop. Searcy has been alright when asked to play but you can't expect a rookie Safety to come in and start picking balls left and right.

The troup pick was terrible no doubt about it but I wan't anyone to come and show me where a GM hasn't made a back pick in 1st 2 rounds. Carrington is in his 2nd year, the coaching staff has played him out of position, and could still turn into something. I'll lean more to career backup though.

That means out of the 4 picks in his two drafts. The ones where differences makers are found he is looking like he is going to hit on 3 of 4 with Troup being bust. To expect 4-7 rounders in their 1st or 2nd year to become studs is just ridiculous and the expectations of Danny Batten and Arthur Moats to become even 8 sack a season guys is ludicrous. They are what the are special teamers who will make good backups

Thief
12-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Troup and Carrington could still pan out. That would be nice.

Demon
12-25-2011, 12:50 PM
You are SO WRONG about the 3rd pick in the draft being almost impossible to screw up. The Bills have screwed up high round picks MANY MANY times in the past from Mike Williams the #4 pick a few years ago, Tony Hunter the #4 pick in 1983 to Tom Cousineau FIRST pick in the draft in 1979 to Walt Patulski the FIRST pick of the draft in 1972.

Who would have thought Donte Whittner would have been an option when he was picked or Aaron Maybin? Did you or ANYONE see Maybin as an option when he was picked? I DIDN'T.

True, but if Dareus had gone earlier, i think Von Miller would of been our pick. Or Cam Newton. Or Patrick Patterson. I get your point. Still, credit where it's due, they picked a stud with the 3rd overall pick.

OpIv37
12-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Troup and Carrington could still pan out. That would be nice.

Carrington has shown flashes. I don't think he'll ever be dominant but he'll be serviceable.

I have my doubts about Troup. The back injury could be chronic, and let's face it- he hasn't exactly looked all that great when he was healthy.

Demon
12-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Only two look promising, lololololololol.

Hopefully Santa brings you a brain because you're ****ing clueless.

Love how you crown Dareus king when the run D is still **** and he gets mauled in the run game. He's been wildly inconsistent and yet you give him a pass while trashing Searcy who has looked very good in his limited snaps at safety, and you just write off Williams. Not to mention Rogers who looks like a great return man who can cover a bit, all for the low price of a 7th round pick.

You can't have superstars at every position. Need a full compliment of players, let's see what they do next year.

If Searcy had more speed the guy would be a really good prospect, I've been really impressed with his tackling and run/pass instincts. Good in the box safety. My favorite pick of the regime so far. Seems like a good kid too.

LOL ok, believe that. IF? Who cares IF? The game isn't played on IF's. Either he is or he isn't.

By promising, i meant players that other teams wish they could have had. Steals. Nobody going to lose sleep that we selected Rogers in the 7th round for his special team coverage. Maybe i'm wrong, but i doubt it. White? Moats? Wang? Carrington? Yeah, major steals. Who cares if they all suck, as long as we have special team stud steals late round in Batton and Rogers!

Same old song as always with loser mentality fans. They see something good and are ready to crown those guys as something special. I remember coming here and people saying Ko Simpson and Donte Whitner was the best Safety due in the NFL for the next 10 years.... after like 6 games of their rookie seasons. Some of you are so prone to losing, that even the slightest positive makes you jump in joy.

Like i said, aim higher. We can do better. And it's GOING TO TAKE much more to make the playoffs.

OpIv37
12-25-2011, 12:57 PM
You can't have superstars at every position.

can we please stop using this horse **** defense of the FO? Yes, no one has superstars at every position, but right now we have superstars at RB and.... RB.

You can't have superstars at every position, but you also can't win with a bunch of late-round draft picks and UDFA's who play like mid-round draft picks with no real superstars to assist them.

jimbohastle51
12-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Man, our exceptions have gone to hell with this team losing so much. We just settle for the slightest positives. No wonder this team sucks for so long and people keep on going.

Rogers and Williams looked good and have looked "better"? No kidding, their football players. It's what they do. Play football. Some times they look better then other times. Sometimes they are just horrible. It's what professional football players do.

Batton and Searcy have looked good? In what? Garbage time and special teams? Who cares if their making tackles on special teams? I mean, sure, we need someone to do it, but to applaud them for it? C'mon.

Where is Trout? What is Carrington doing? How about Ed Wang? Artur Moats? Besides the Jeremy White stupid saying, he's been a compete ghost on defense. I would bring up Batton again, but i don't want to upset people with our preseason MVP and our special team stud. Yikes.

This team had a great game, on TIM TEBOW, the guy who wins with 10 passes a game. Today, he had to air it out. In a bad stadium for QBs as is. And we took advantage of it. Last week, Reggie Bush rushed 200 yards on us.

In the 4th round, we selected Chris Hairston, yes, our master drafter really showed he knew Marshawn Lynch's value with that one. Fair tradeoff.

David Nelson is a nice story. Not a star, probably not even a starting WR on any team in the NFL, but a nice #3 option to have. But, if the Bills knew how good he would be (well, THIS good, let's not make him be better then he is), they would not have let him hit the post-draft market.

We don't need average players. We've had average players from top to bottom for the past 11 years. Players like these is why we're in the situation that we are! We need game changers. We need stars. We need leaders.

Out of the 18 draft picks Buddy Nix has had, only 2 look very promising. This is a way to turnaround the franchise?

With this theory, we should call Marv Levy back, see if he can take over GM duties, and see if Dick Jauron will return too. After all, they landed Kyle Williams, Marshawn Lynch, Demitriues Bell, Fred Jackson and Stevie Johnson.....

AIM higher people. We can do better. These guys need to be responsible for not doing better!

Merry Christmas all.

1) Rodgers and Williams have gotten ALOT better each week. the "their football players thats what they do" comment is not true. plenty of players come in this league and get no better or worse.

2)Batten is all hustle all the time and 2 or 3 players make the team each year strictly on special teams duties so yes i do believe he has played well and has shown improvement when asked to play at the Jack LB position. Searcy has started 3 games this season man and he filled in for a guy who will be playing in the pro bowl this year in george wilson and he filled in very good for a rookie.

3)2 big time game changes? Nelson has won a game for us this season already and has been pretty clutch for an undrafted free agent and Hairston has looked extremely good at LT, ect.. there are more than 2 game changers my friend.

4)Moats has played well but is not a starter so far but far from a bust. troupe is just not durable enough for a NT and he was a wild card when drafted with his previous injury cant argue he has shown nothing to this point. Carington has improved each year and as a DE in a 3-4 he isnt going to have 15 sacks a year man, but is going to take on a guard and tackle, stop the run as a sure tackler, and allow outside backers to run free... if you watch tape he does this well.

I never said we have the Pittsburgh Steelers scouting department, but we have the best we have had in over a decade right now. if the bills would have made the wild card they would have overachieved, this team is still 2 drafts and off seasons away but they have a bright future ahead from the looks of it.

jimbohastle51
12-25-2011, 02:36 PM
True, but if Dareus had gone earlier, i think Von Miller would of been our pick. Or Cam Newton. Or Patrick Patterson. I get your point. Still, credit where it's due, they picked a stud with the 3rd overall pick.

you are right. Miller was who the team thought was going to be on the board. dareus fell in the teams lap. the Bills got lucky there.

dannyek71
12-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Look at this team's record and how we have done in the playoffs.

Enough said.

kingJofNYC
12-25-2011, 03:53 PM
LOL ok, believe that. IF? Who cares IF? The game isn't played on IF's. Either he is or he isn't.

By promising, i meant players that other teams wish they could have had. Steals. Nobody going to lose sleep that we selected Rogers in the 7th round for his special team coverage. Maybe i'm wrong, but i doubt it. White? Moats? Wang? Carrington? Yeah, major steals. Who cares if they all suck, as long as we have special team stud steals late round in Batton and Rogers!

Same old song as always with loser mentality fans. They see something good and are ready to crown those guys as something special. I remember coming here and people saying Ko Simpson and Donte Whitner was the best Safety due in the NFL for the next 10 years.... after like 6 games of their rookie seasons. Some of you are so prone to losing, that even the slightest positive makes you jump in joy.

Like i said, aim higher. We can do better. And it's GOING TO TAKE much more tomake the playoffs.

Lolololololololololololololololol

Who ****ing cares about Wang, he sucked they missed. What about Chad Rinehart who ****ing mauled Bunkley yesterday, yeah that was the FO. What about Urbik who's been a solid G/C, does he count? The guy can start on many teams and the Steelers are kicking themselves for releasing him, especially with their OL troubles.

Batten is a 6th rounder, you don't always hit on late rounders. Fans bring up Rogers, who's done a good job on returns and covering WRs and you just shrug it off. Whats the point of even discussing any of this when your mind is already made up.

They need to hit on their early round picks, that's been the trouble. You build depth in the late round and UDFA, they're on the right track, but according to some of you they're a failure because the team isn't superbowl bound in year 2.

It's funny how you crowned Dareus yet he looks like the weakest of the top 10 picks not named Gabbert. Are 49er fans crying about not having Dareus, are Bengal or Bronco fans? No, not in the least. So by you narrow definition he's not worthy of discussion because other teams may not want him. You think the Texans would trade Watt for Dareus, no. Guess he's a bust.

Dareus is still coming into his own, I'm giving him a couple of years before passing final judgement, and I'm doing the same with some of the other young guys on the roster.

better days
12-25-2011, 04:47 PM

I am very happy with Dareus. I don't think any other player would have fit the Bills as well except Newton. That said, Miller would also have been a great pick.

Yeah the point is in the past & as recent as the Jauron years, the 3rd pick was not or could not be considered a gimme. The Bills in the past would have found a way to screw it up.

Demon
12-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Lolololololololololololololololol

Who ****ing cares about Wang, he sucked they missed. What about Chad Rinehart who ****ing mauled Bunkley yesterday, yeah that was the FO. What about Urbik who's been a solid G/C, does he count? The guy can start on many teams and the Steelers are kicking themselves for releasing him, especially with their OL troubles.

Batten is a 6th rounder, you don't always hit on late rounders. Fans bring up Rogers, who's done a good job on returns and covering WRs and you just shrug it off. Whats the point of even discussing any of this when your mind is already made up.

They need to hit on their early round picks, that's been the trouble. You build depth in the late round and UDFA, they're on the right track, but according to some of you they're a failure because the team isn't superbowl bound in year 2.

It's funny how you crowned Dareus yet he looks like the weakest of the top 10 picks not named Gabbert. Are 49er fans crying about not having Dareus, are Bengal or Bronco fans? No, not in the least. So by you narrow definition he's not worthy of discussion because other teams may not want him. You think the Texans would trade Watt for Dareus, no. Guess he's a bust.

Dareus is still coming into his own, I'm giving him a couple of years before passing final judgement, and I'm doing the same with some of the other young guys on the roster.

Dareus has been without Kyle Williams, and has played very well at times, so, he def gets a pass. But fine, kill me for him struggling most, but that really hurts the argument you guys are making in this thread.

None of our other picks are good. How about Spiller? Oh wait, he just had a decent game, you're all praising him, just 3 weeks ago he was our next Maybin. Carrington. Trout. Williams hasn't looked special but he can get a pass also because he has been hurt.

None of these guys are very good. They are serviceable players. Some will have very good days, and other games they will look like toast. That's just what average NFL players are. We need impact players. We need star players. Not every pick can be a star but for gods sake, can we get any?

Nelson is NOT a star. If you think Nelson is a star, and i am sorry for your low standards in Buffalo Bills football players. The league is littered with players like these. They come and go. We've had these kind of players for the past 11 years and made NOT a single playoff game.

If we wanna make a thread praising Buddy Nix and the scouting, let them draft real studs first.

This is so pathetic. Let's all jump and high five each other, Buddy Nix and the drafting department picked up a few football players! yay!

Get real people.

kingJofNYC
12-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Spiller has had more than one good game, he was excellent the week before, and had a great game against the Titans before his coach sidelined him. Spiller's worst enemy is his own head coach.

Guy has 7 runs over 20 yards wiith only 94 carries.

No one said Nelson was a superstar, but he's a decent to good slot receiver with very good hands, not bad for UDFA.

Whatever, you want everyone fired, that's cool. You expected them to turn this **** heap around in 2 years.

When Jauron took over the team, he took over a roster that was riddled with injuries but was one game away from making the playoffs the year before. He then ran said roster into the ground, and let vets like Spikes, Clements, Fletcher, Greer just walk away. Add in some awful drafting and here we are.

You're the one who needs to get real, especially if you thought this turn around was coming in less than two years. It's virtually impossible to add that much talent in that time frame given the dearth of talent, especially with ownership unwilling to spend.

mrbojanglezs
12-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Right after he fired modrak it's night and day.... Hoping for another solid draft this year

mikemac2001
12-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Look at this team's record and how we have done in the playoffs.

Enough said.

ya they must have meant a 2 yr plan not a 3yr plan

atleast give the picks a shot to develop

Demon
12-25-2011, 07:43 PM
atleast give the picks a shot to develop

True, and i agree. They ALL need time to develop. But, let's not jump up and down in joy, fist pump, and start threads, because some dude made a tackle.

TigerJ
12-25-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't think Nix did an especially good job with the 2010 draft, though Spiller's coming of age is making it start to look quite a bit better. Part of the reason it wasn't a great draft are some unforeseen circumstances. We couldn't really predict, and Nix didn't either, that Kyle Williams was going to play the nose tackle position at a near pro-bowl level such that Troup never really had a shot to develop last season, or that he would have back issues this season. Nor could anyone have predicted that Marcus Easley would follow up his injury plagued start in the NFL with a "heart ailment" to wipe out year two. I don't necessarily think they are bad players, but if your second and third round choices can't get on the field, whatever the reason, it doesn't make for a very good draft. Carrington has done some good things, but hasn't really taken the step foreward this year that we were hoping to see. Batten and Moats are what you might expect from players drafted where they were - role players.

I think Nix did a much better job with the 2011 draft. Dareus has not been perfect. He has made mistakes, but he's made a positive difference on the field, at left end when he started, and then giving Buffalo a viable nose tackle when Williams had to be IRed and Troup couldn't get on the field. Aaron Williams played like a rookie sometimes, but he's also made a lot of positive plays. Justin Rogers took a while, but he has made a positive contribution lately both in his pass coverage and in the return game. I think he will continue to develop into a very competent CB for covering the slot receiver. Sheppard may never be a pro-bowler, but I think he's going to be a pretty solid linebacker. I'm not sure how Hairston is going to turn out. He was not the best conditioned athlete coming in, but may benefit greatly from a full offseason in the Bills' conditioning program. Bell is better technique wise at the left tackle spot, but if Hairston works at it his feet may improve. I suspect he's going to have a decent NFL career, but I don't know if it will be at left or right tackle.

I think that compared with his predecessor, Nix does a pretty good job conducting the draft. What we really need is a year with only an average number of season ending injuries to show what kind of job he's dong. It's tough to look good when players are dropping like flies.

jimbohastle51
12-26-2011, 02:39 AM
i know people want to think this is the second year and we should be a playoff team and i know even more people are thinking next year is year 3 and we have so many holes ect... the truth is that this team lacked high end talent at almost every position when Nix came in. you dont build through hitting on every pick and signing a bunch of proven free agents. you build by letting young players develope which creates depth and some of the young guys stand out even further and become your stars or the core of your team.
fact are you are going to have busts. the best best GM's get it wrong.. the important thing is you limit the mistakes. Nix is a very solid talent evaluator i think we are going to be really good over the next few seasons.