PDA

View Full Version : I want a QB

better days
12-26-2011, 09:49 AM
I want a QB & I have one in mind, Jason Campbell. He was playing very well for Oakland before getting injured & will be a FA.

I would not mind both Fitz & Campbell on the team, but if they have to, I would dump Fitz for Campbell. I think Chan could really utilize his abilities.

better days
12-26-2011, 09:51 AM
If the Bills don't sign him, I would not be surprised if the Fins or Jets did.

Extremebillsfan247
12-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Campbell would be a decent candidate if Fitzpatrick were not already on this team. But Fitz is the teams starter whether we like him or not. That is the unfortunate reality of it. I'm going to agree with Ralph Wilson's opinion that this team needs better receivers. Give us a Victor Cruz to pair with Stevie Johnson and the offense will just come to life. We already have a good running game with Jackson and Spiller. Chandler isn't half bad as a TE. Receiver, and Oline depth is the way to go in my opinion.

TacklingDummy
12-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I want Matt Barkley in 2013!!!
Based on what we have seen the last few years on the field, the Bills might be in position to draft him.

YardRat
12-26-2011, 10:43 AM
I want a #1 WR, a legit LT, a pass-rushing OLB and a shut-down corner.

Sucks to want, doesn't it?

PromoTheRobot
12-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Based on what we have seen the last few years on the field, the Bills might be in position to draft him.

USC QB's suck. Matt Leinert, Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassell, etc. Carson Palmer is okay.

PTR

BertSquirtgum
12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I think Campbell could push Fitz into not playing like Fitzputrid all the time. Then, if he does, put Campbell in.

Figster
12-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Campbell would be a decent candidate if Fitzpatrick were not already on this team. But Fitz is the teams starter whether we like him or not. That is the unfortunate reality of it. I'm going to agree with Ralph Wilson's opinion that this team needs better receivers. Give us a Victor Cruz to pair with Stevie Johnson and the offense will just come to life. We already have a good running game with Jackson and Spiller. Chandler isn't half bad as a TE. Receiver, and Oline depth is the way to go in my opinion.

On a team with many holes

I think the Bills have every intention of finding a promising young QB prospect, but only If Buffalo deems them possible franchise material and they become available without Buffalo sacraficing to much to get him.

It makes perfect sense to keep improving the team as we search so when and If we do find him, we can allow the prospect every opportunity to succeed via coaching/ supporting cast.

better days
12-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Barkley will most likely be the 1st QB taken next year, maybe even #1 in the draft. There is no way the Bills will be in position to draft him even with Fitz at QB.

Night Train
12-26-2011, 11:02 AM
We won't draft a QB, if Ralph's recent blurb to the AP means anything. He blames overall injuries and shortages at WR.

Ralph may order a WR for Fitz over a pass rusher but let's see how FA plays out first. Depends if Steve Johnsons agent is pricing him out of Buffalo.

better days
12-26-2011, 11:07 AM
On a team with many holes

I think the Bills have every intention of finding a promising young QB prospect, but only If Buffalo deems them possible franchise material and they become available without Buffalo sacraficing to much to get him.

It makes perfect sense to keep improving the team as we search so when and If we do find him, we can allow the prospect every opportunity to succeed via coaching/ supporting cast.

This is exactly why I want the Bills to sign Campbell. He is a FA so he will cost nothing but his salary. He is 30 years old, but should have 6-7 years left in him & he is ready to play NOW.

Unless Fitz has an injury that is being kept under wraps, I have lost all faith in him. IMO Fitz played a very small part in the win over the Broncos.

Figster
12-26-2011, 11:18 AM
This is exactly why I want the Bills to sign Campbell. He is a FA so he will cost nothing but his salary. He is 30 years old, but should have 6-7 years left in him & he is ready to play NOW.

Unless Fitz has an injury that is being kept under wraps, I have lost all faith in him. IMO Fitz played a very small part in the win over the Broncos.

Myself personally, I like the idea of bringing Jason Cambell in, I really do, but I don't think its going to happen because of how strongly Gailey feels about Fitz.

Figster
12-26-2011, 11:22 AM
We won't draft a QB, if Ralph's recent blurb to the AP means anything. He blames overall injuries and shortages at WR.

Ralph may order a WR for Fitz over a pass rusher but let's see how FA plays out first. Depends if Steve Johnsons agent is pricing him out of Buffalo.

RW knows enough to stand behind his new contract with Fitzpatrick because If he doesn't the whole organization looks foolish.

Novacane
12-26-2011, 11:30 AM
The question is does the Bills brass think they even need a QB?

Novacane
12-26-2011, 11:32 AM
RW knows enough to stand behind his new contract with Fitzpatrick because If he doesn't the whole organization looks foolish.

We're way past that point.

Figster
12-26-2011, 11:36 AM
We're way past that point.

hehe, you got me there

The Jokeman
12-26-2011, 11:46 AM

I think a pass rusher (or two) would make some of the needs less glaring. In terms a #1 WR we could take the chance and draft one early but with most WRs showing they take three years to develop we'd have to explore UFA for one and looking at the impending list I don't see many improvements over Stevie, so I say keep Stevie and find an upgrade at #2 WR. One name that am sure Draft Boy would support is Jerome Simpson.

tampabay25690
12-26-2011, 12:29 PM

I think 3 out of the 4 we really need.
I dont see the LT as bad as the others....
But wouldnt mind getting a LT in the fold as well....

YardRat
12-26-2011, 02:21 PM
I think 3 out of the 4 we really need.
I dont see the LT as bad as the others....
But wouldnt mind getting a LT in the fold as well....

I just think we could do so much more vertically with the passing game if we had a legit LT and Gailey wasn't afraid of the o-line getting Fitz killed on deep drops. The chuck-and-duck is largely a result of the deficiencies of the offensive line, moreso than any short-comings at QB or WR.

TigerJ
12-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I think Jason Campbell is a serviceable starting NFL QB. Besides, if he were a Buffalo Bill, I could contact him and ask him if he were willling to do a special appearance in Campbell. Maybe he'd be intrigued enough to accept. I would be surprised if that is the direction the Bills go, however.

jamze132
12-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Not that Jason Campbell is a pro bowler but he was and is better than Fitz. I wanted us to go after Campbell when he was released from Washington. 3000+ and 20+ TDs.

His numbers may be similar to Fitz, but Campbell runs better and is able to convert more 3rd downs when the play goes to ****. Fitz just throws the ball into quadruple coverage or 2 yds short of the 1st down marker.

Bill Cody
12-27-2011, 09:59 AM
It's hard, really really hard, to win big in the NFL today with a "servicaeable" QB. IMO Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are elite players. Not coincidentally all 3 of their teams are strong SB contenders. The Colts go from going to the playoffs every year to 2 wins without Manning. I hate to say it, but if you have Ryan Fitzpatrick as your QB it's hopeless. Jason Campbell? It's like wallpapering over a skunk farm. You cannot win a SB with Jason Campbell. Not now. Not ever.

And that's what I want. Not more 6-10, 8-8 just good enough to give us a bit of hope, just bad enough never to do anything. No. I want to draft a QB. If it means mortgaging the future the move up? Do it. Is there any guarantee that will work? No, not at all. But signing another journeyman isn't the answer.

better days
12-27-2011, 10:03 AM
It's hard, really really hard, to win big in the NFL today with a "servicaeable" QB. IMO Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are elite players. Not coincidentally all 3 of their teams are strong SB contenders. The Colts go from going to the playoffs every year to 2 wins without Manning. I hate to say it, but if you have Ryan Fitzpatrick as your QB it's hopeless. Jason Campbell? It's like wallpapering over a skunk farm. You cannot win a SB with Jason Campbell. Not now. Not ever.

And that's what I want. Not more 6-10, 8-8 just good enough to give us a bit of hope, just bad enough never to do anything. No. I want to draft a QB. If it means mortgaging the future the move up? Do it. Is there any guarantee that will work? No, not at all. But signing another journeyman isn't the answer.

I think on a GOOD team, Campbell could win a Super Bowl. What looked like a good draft for QB's is turning out to be not all that after all, with a few of the best prospects deciding to stay in school.

Novacane
12-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Campbell = Fitz imo.

Bill Cody
12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I think on a GOOD team, Campbell could win a Super Bowl. What looked like a good draft for QB's is turning out to be not all that after all, with a few of the best prospects deciding to stay in school.

Put him on the the 78 Steelers, the 85 Bears or the 90 49ers....and he's still not good enough. Is he better than Jim Kelly? Kelly was good enough....to lose 4 SB's. And that was back then when the QB wasn't as huge a factor as today. No. I'd rather live through yet another root canal season if need be than jump on the "let's sign up for another ride on the mediocre train" with Jason Campbell. I am sick to death of band aids.

better days
12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Put him on the the 78 Steelers, the 85 Bears or the 90 49ers....and he's still not good enough. Is he better than Jim Kelly? Kelly was good enough....to lose 4 SB's. And that was back then when the QB wasn't as huge a factor as today. No. I'd rather live through yet another root canal season if need be than jump on the "let's sign up for another ride on the mediocre train" with Jason Campbell. I am sick to death of band aids.

Well, we can just disagree on that. I really don't think McMahon was any better than Campbell. I get what you are saying about band aids, but I doubt the Bills can get a franchise type QB in this draft & have lost all faith in Fitz.....unless he has an injury they are hiding.

Cleve
12-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Are we ever gonna reach a point in Buffalo where the team is selecting long-term players and not 'fill in the gap' hires? How do other, far more successful teams, do it?

ServoBillieves
12-27-2011, 10:50 AM
And I want a toilet made out of solid gold...

We need a quarterback (Fitzy was looking like the 2nd coming til injures)
We need a pass rusher (Merriman, injured, Kelsay hurt, Moats at ILB, Bad DC)
We need a good corner (McGee hurt, Florence hurt, rookies playing well)
We need a good left tackle (Bell out almost all season, Hairston looked good but injured, entire line shuffled like a deck of bad cards)
We need a legit #1/2 receiver (We won't pay Stevie, also Jones/Parrish/Easley injured, so I agree with this one for once)

We need... what else do we need? A new defensive coordinator, a strength and conditioning coach, and depth. THERE we go...

better days
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Are we ever gonna reach a point in Buffalo where the team is selecting long-term players and not 'fill in the gap' hires? How do other, far more successful teams, do it?

Most of them were LUCKY enough to be in position to acquire a FRANCHISE QB.

The Pats* TOTALLY lucked out with Brady while they still had Bledsoe

The Colts drafted #1 in the year Peyton Manning came out, now they could be drafting #1 again the year Luck comes out & Manning looks finished.

The Packers were SMART to take a chance on Rodgers when Favre was still playing well.

The Saints were LUCKY the Fins passed on Brees because of his injury.

The Steelers were LUCKY to draft just ahead of Buffalo when Roethlisburger was drafted.

PTI
12-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Most of them were LUCKY enough to be in position to acquire a FRANCHISE QB.

The Pats* TOTALLY lucked out with Brady while they still had Bledsoe

The Colts drafted #1 in the year Peyton Manning came out, now they could be drafting #1 again the year Luck comes out & Manning looks finished.

The Packers were SMART to take a chance on Rodgers when Favre was still playing well.

The Saints were LUCKY the Fins passed on Brees because of his injury.

The Steelers were LUCKY to draft just ahead of Buffalo when Roethlisburger was drafted.

Steelers, Packers, Colts, and Patriots all have had multiple era runs towards playing in Super Bowls (I am not counting the Bills here, they had one era of NFL Super Bowl runs). So has the Cowboys, Redskins, 49ers, Dolphins, Bears, Giants, and Raiders, some organizations are just run better, even through ownership change in some cases. Luck is a part, Bills are just run crappy. Saints are in the middle of their nice run still.

better days
12-27-2011, 12:05 PM
And I want a toilet made out of solid gold...

We need a quarterback (Fitzy was looking like the 2nd coming til injures)
We need a pass rusher (Merriman, injured, Kelsay hurt, Moats at ILB, Bad DC)
We need a good corner (McGee hurt, Florence hurt, rookies playing well)
We need a good left tackle (Bell out almost all season, Hairston looked good but injured, entire line shuffled like a deck of bad cards)
We need a legit #1/2 receiver (We won't pay Stevie, also Jones/Parrish/Easley injured, so I agree with this one for once)

We need... what else do we need? A new defensive coordinator, a strength and conditioning coach, and depth. THERE we go...

Well, with everyone bagging on Tebow, NOBODY mentions he has NOTHING at WR. If Stevie were a Bronco, I would bet Tebows numbers would be MUCH better.

Fitz has 22TD's & 19 INTS with a rating of 80.7% his career rating is 75.4%
Tebow has 12 TD's & 6 INTs with a rating of 75.9% his career rating is 77.4%

If you look at the numbers Tebow looks to be at least as good as Fitz & Tebow will only get better. I doubt Fitz does.

The Bills defense made Tebow look bad the last game, but they also made Tom Brady look bad when they played before, I just hope they can make Brady look bad again next Sunday. A WIN against the Pats* would be a great way to start the New Year.

Cleve
12-27-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm actually happy to see New Orleans have a nice run with Drew Brees. The city went thru so much in Katrina, and had a horrible 3-13 year (2005) the year of Katrina. The rebuilding of the Saints resembles very much the rebuilding of the city itself

The NEXT year - 2006 - Sean Payton and Drew Brees come on board, and they go 10-6. What a turn around!

And so much for those who think it takes years and years to turn things around. The Saints were 17-15 their first two seasons under Sean Payton. In his 4th season as head coach, they won a Super Bowl, and all the disrespect of the "Aints" era vanished. They've had one poor season (7-9) since Payton took over.

Contrast that with Gailey - 4-12 last year, and very likely 6-10 this year for a cumulative 10-22. Yeah, Gailey and Fitzpatrick just need MORE time. Uh-huh.