So, about this 'franchise QB' thingie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

So, about this 'franchise QB' thingie...

Last off-season there were a few names tossed around, some with more support to being labeled a 'franchise' QB than others. If you thought any of these guys were 'franchise' last year, do you still think so after another full season?

Mark Sanchez.
    Jason Campbell.
    Philip Rivers.
    Josh Freeman.
    Kevin Kolb.
    Sam Bradford.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • PromoTheRobot
    • Sep 2003

Re: So, about this 'franchise QB' thingie...

Hype dies hard...but more is just around the corner.

PTR
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• PTI
      Banned
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by YardRat
      Last off-season there were a few names tossed around, some with more support to being labeled a 'franchise' QB than others. If you thought any of these guys were 'franchise' last year, do you still think so after another full season?

Mark Sanchez.
      Jason Campbell.
      Philip Rivers.
      Josh Freeman.
      Kevin Kolb.
      Sam Bradford.
      All but Campbell are still franchise label eligible to me. Campbell got a raw deal from the Redskins to me, it looked like he was getting better every year even with a different QB coach every year, dud had a different QB coach every year in college at Auburn, and all 4 years in Washington too I believe as well, and then we was moved to the Raiders. He is without a doubt an upgrade over Fitz, there is nothing to support that Fitz is better, was better, or can be better, and Campbell can still get better, Fitz never will.

Sanchez hasn't played enough, but has still played in 2 AFC Championship games in his first 3 years. He is better than Fitz, and he can get better.

Freeman has regressed, time will tell

Rivers is without a doubt a top 10 QB in the NFL, he is top 7. Why is he lumped with those guys?

Kolb, he is unknown still, he is still the franchise QB for the Cards and will be handed the starting spot next year.

Bradford has been hurt, and is to me without a doubt still a franchise QB. Nice rookie year, and remember, look at Matt Stafford, he exploded in year 3 after being the number 1 overall pick, I think Stafford is better but Bradford would be worth trading for to replace Fitz if the Rams somehow get Andrew Luck.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

I'm pretty sure Phillip Rivers is a franchise QB.

Comment

• djjimkelly
          • Apr 2003

rivers is a machine who plays on a flawed roster

Comment

• tampabay25690
            • Feb 2004

Mark Sanchez.
            Jason Campbell.
            Philip Rivers.
            Josh Freeman.
            Kevin Kolb.
            Sam Bradford.
            Phillip Rivers YES
            Josh Freeman YES
            Kevin Kolb don't know yet
            Sam Bradford injury prone just like College

Rivers had a tuff year no doubt but he has proved worthy a top 10 QB in this league.

Freeman well had a very bad year no doubt but has a ll the tools to be a very Good QB, I would invest my $$$ in him as a Franchise guy.....This offseason and a FULL training camp will help him...
            GO Gators!!!!!!
            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Only Rivers

Freeman, Kolb, and Bradford still have time to prove it.

Campbell got jerked around worse than most QB's do and Sanchez is good but not a franchise QB.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Mark Sanchez.
                Jason Campbell.
                Philip Rivers.
                Josh Freeman.
                Kevin Kolb.
                Sam Bradford.
                I'd take Rivers. The rest blew and still blow.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

When I use the term, (and this is just me) I take into account the player's age, as well as potential.

Kolb and campbell are the only ones I do not regard as 'franchise'.

Of course, I thought Heath Schuler was a franchise QB so what the hell do I know?

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                    • Sep 2003

There are only 5 "franchise" QBs in the entire NFL. Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees, Aaron Rogers and Rothlisberger. You're corrupting the whole notion of what franchise means by discussing names like Rivers and Sanchez and Kolb.

PTR
                    Last edited by PromoTheRobot; 12-27-2011, 07:39 AM.
                    10 Commandments of the D
                    1. Never stop Rocking.
                    2. Legalize all drugs.
                    3. Quit your day job.
                    4. All Religion should be taxed.
                    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                    6. F**k her gently.
                    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• mjt328
                      • May 2011

"Franchise Quarterback" is just the term that people use to describe whether a quarterback is truly good enough at the NFL level. Everybody has a slightly different definition of what that means.

To me, the way to determine if a guy is a "franchise quarterback" is to ask one simple question:
                      Does the team need an UPGRADE at quarterback (whether in free agency or the draft)? Or is the team set at that position for the next several years, and those resources should be dedicated towards acquiring talent AROUND the quarterback.

So, to answer your question, I would say that Philip Rivers is the only absolutely certain person on that list. It is highly doubtful that San Diego would be able to find an upgrade at quarterback - either in the draft or free agency. Would you trade Philip Rivers for Andrew Luck? I wouldn't.

Sam Bradford is only in his second year and has lots of promise. I would also classify him as a franchise quarterback, because at this point, it would be stupid for the Rams to try and replace him. They should build the talent around him (offensive line and wide receiver), and see if he can continue to develop.

Mark Sanchez is on the edge. Being in his third season, some may feel he can develop into that guy. Others may feel that he's holding back an otherwise very good team - and should be upgraded. Josh Freeman may be in the same boat.

I was never sold on Kevin Kolb (like Matt Cassel) as anything other than a backup, and I thought it was foolish for Arizona to waste high draft picks on him. In another year or two, they will be just like Kansas City, looking for an upgrade.

The boat sailed on Jason Campbell about 2-3 years ago. I would put him in the same category as Ryan Fitzpatrick.
                      2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                      Posted During the 2013 Draft
                      1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                      2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                      2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                      3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                      4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                      5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                      6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                      7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                      1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                      2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                      2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                      3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                      4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                      5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                      6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                      7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by PTI
                        All but Campbell are still franchise label eligible to me. Campbell got a raw deal from the Redskins to me, it looked like he was getting better every year even with a different QB coach every year, dud had a different QB coach every year in college at Auburn, and all 4 years in Washington too I believe as well, and then we was moved to the Raiders. He is without a doubt an upgrade over Fitz, there is nothing to support that Fitz is better, was better, or can be better, and Campbell can still get better, Fitz never will.

Sanchez hasn't played enough, but has still played in 2 AFC Championship games in his first 3 years. He is better than Fitz, and he can get better.

Freeman has regressed, time will tell

Rivers is without a doubt a top 10 QB in the NFL, he is top 7. Why is he lumped with those guys?

Kolb, he is unknown still, he is still the franchise QB for the Cards and will be handed the starting spot next year.

Bradford has been hurt, and is to me without a doubt still a franchise QB. Nice rookie year, and remember, look at Matt Stafford, he exploded in year 3 after being the number 1 overall pick, I think Stafford is better but Bradford would be worth trading for to replace Fitz if the Rams somehow get Andrew Luck.
                        I agree on Rivers
                        Sanchez stinks
                        Freeman I agree needs more time
                        Kolb is a bust for sure
                        Bradford really has me wondering after his performance this year but I do think he has solid potential.
                        Campbell nothing special

To summarize Rivers, Freeman, and Bradford are more desirable QBs IMO over Fitz.

I would take Fitz over Sanchez, Kolb or Campbell but that really isn't saying much.

Comment

• Cleve
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by PTI

I don't know. Drew Brees was the Charger QB before Rivers, and San Diego cut Brees loose only because Drew wanted top 5 QB money! Well, duh - he may be one of the top 5 QBs of ALL TIME let alone a single season. Nice work, San Diego!

Because Rivers isn't winning championships in SD doesn't mean he might not be able to do so elsewhere. The difference between a quality QB like Rivers and a career journeyman back-up like Fitzpatrick was elegantly showcased in the Bills/San Diego rout.

BTW, Buddy Nix was part of the Chargers front office when Drew Brees was let go. That might make Buffalo Bills fans a bit less optimistic about Nix's personnel selections here.
                          Last edited by Cleve; 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                          per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• cgbm
                            • Jan 2011

id say

RIVERS - DEFF
                            Freeman - YES
                            Bradford - YES, if the team can get some guys around him
                            a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

Comment

• The King
                              Without me it's just Awe so
                              • Jun 2004

Rivers is a cancer.
                              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                              It was all
                              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
                              X