PDA

View Full Version : So, about this 'franchise QB' thingie...

YardRat
12-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Last off-season there were a few names tossed around, some with more support to being labeled a 'franchise' QB than others. If you thought any of these guys were 'franchise' last year, do you still think so after another full season?

Mark Sanchez.
Jason Campbell.
Philip Rivers.
Josh Freeman.
Kevin Kolb.
Sam Bradford.

PromoTheRobot
12-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Hype dies hard...but more is just around the corner.

PTR

PTI
12-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Last off-season there were a few names tossed around, some with more support to being labeled a 'franchise' QB than others. If you thought any of these guys were 'franchise' last year, do you still think so after another full season?

Mark Sanchez.
Jason Campbell.
Philip Rivers.
Josh Freeman.
Kevin Kolb.
Sam Bradford.

All but Campbell are still franchise label eligible to me. Campbell got a raw deal from the Redskins to me, it looked like he was getting better every year even with a different QB coach every year, dud had a different QB coach every year in college at Auburn, and all 4 years in Washington too I believe as well, and then we was moved to the Raiders. He is without a doubt an upgrade over Fitz, there is nothing to support that Fitz is better, was better, or can be better, and Campbell can still get better, Fitz never will.

Sanchez hasn't played enough, but has still played in 2 AFC Championship games in his first 3 years. He is better than Fitz, and he can get better.

Freeman has regressed, time will tell

Rivers is without a doubt a top 10 QB in the NFL, he is top 7. Why is he lumped with those guys?

Kolb, he is unknown still, he is still the franchise QB for the Cards and will be handed the starting spot next year.

Bradford has been hurt, and is to me without a doubt still a franchise QB. Nice rookie year, and remember, look at Matt Stafford, he exploded in year 3 after being the number 1 overall pick, I think Stafford is better but Bradford would be worth trading for to replace Fitz if the Rams somehow get Andrew Luck.

jamze132
12-27-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm pretty sure Phillip Rivers is a franchise QB.

djjimkelly
12-27-2011, 07:12 AM
rivers is a machine who plays on a flawed roster

tampabay25690
12-27-2011, 07:15 AM

Mark Sanchez.
Jason Campbell.
Philip Rivers.
Josh Freeman.
Kevin Kolb.
Sam Bradford.

Phillip Rivers YES
Josh Freeman YES
Kevin Kolb don't know yet
Sam Bradford injury prone just like College

Rivers had a tuff year no doubt but he has proved worthy a top 10 QB in this league.

Freeman well had a very bad year no doubt but has a ll the tools to be a very Good QB, I would invest my $$$ in him as a Franchise guy.....This offseason and a FULL training camp will help him...

DraftBoy
12-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Only Rivers

Freeman, Kolb, and Bradford still have time to prove it.

Campbell got jerked around worse than most QB's do and Sanchez is good but not a franchise QB.

TacklingDummy
12-27-2011, 07:29 AM

Mark Sanchez.
Jason Campbell.
Philip Rivers.
Josh Freeman.
Kevin Kolb.
Sam Bradford.

I'd take Rivers. The rest blew and still blow.

Historian
12-27-2011, 07:30 AM
When I use the term, (and this is just me) I take into account the player's age, as well as potential.

Kolb and campbell are the only ones I do not regard as 'franchise'.

Of course, I thought Heath Schuler was a franchise QB so what the hell do I know?

PromoTheRobot
12-27-2011, 07:37 AM
There are only 5 "franchise" QBs in the entire NFL. Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees, Aaron Rogers and Rothlisberger. You're corrupting the whole notion of what franchise means by discussing names like Rivers and Sanchez and Kolb.

PTR

mjt328
12-27-2011, 07:41 AM
"Franchise Quarterback" is just the term that people use to describe whether a quarterback is truly good enough at the NFL level. Everybody has a slightly different definition of what that means.

To me, the way to determine if a guy is a "franchise quarterback" is to ask one simple question:
Does the team need an UPGRADE at quarterback (whether in free agency or the draft)? Or is the team set at that position for the next several years, and those resources should be dedicated towards acquiring talent AROUND the quarterback.

So, to answer your question, I would say that Philip Rivers is the only absolutely certain person on that list. It is highly doubtful that San Diego would be able to find an upgrade at quarterback - either in the draft or free agency. Would you trade Philip Rivers for Andrew Luck? I wouldn't.

Sam Bradford is only in his second year and has lots of promise. I would also classify him as a franchise quarterback, because at this point, it would be stupid for the Rams to try and replace him. They should build the talent around him (offensive line and wide receiver), and see if he can continue to develop.

Mark Sanchez is on the edge. Being in his third season, some may feel he can develop into that guy. Others may feel that he's holding back an otherwise very good team - and should be upgraded. Josh Freeman may be in the same boat.

I was never sold on Kevin Kolb (like Matt Cassel) as anything other than a backup, and I thought it was foolish for Arizona to waste high draft picks on him. In another year or two, they will be just like Kansas City, looking for an upgrade.

The boat sailed on Jason Campbell about 2-3 years ago. I would put him in the same category as Ryan Fitzpatrick.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2011, 08:24 AM
All but Campbell are still franchise label eligible to me. Campbell got a raw deal from the Redskins to me, it looked like he was getting better every year even with a different QB coach every year, dud had a different QB coach every year in college at Auburn, and all 4 years in Washington too I believe as well, and then we was moved to the Raiders. He is without a doubt an upgrade over Fitz, there is nothing to support that Fitz is better, was better, or can be better, and Campbell can still get better, Fitz never will.

Sanchez hasn't played enough, but has still played in 2 AFC Championship games in his first 3 years. He is better than Fitz, and he can get better.

Freeman has regressed, time will tell

Rivers is without a doubt a top 10 QB in the NFL, he is top 7. Why is he lumped with those guys?

Kolb, he is unknown still, he is still the franchise QB for the Cards and will be handed the starting spot next year.

Bradford has been hurt, and is to me without a doubt still a franchise QB. Nice rookie year, and remember, look at Matt Stafford, he exploded in year 3 after being the number 1 overall pick, I think Stafford is better but Bradford would be worth trading for to replace Fitz if the Rams somehow get Andrew Luck.
I agree on Rivers
Sanchez stinks
Freeman I agree needs more time
Kolb is a bust for sure
Bradford really has me wondering after his performance this year but I do think he has solid potential.
Campbell nothing special

To summarize Rivers, Freeman, and Bradford are more desirable QBs IMO over Fitz.

I would take Fitz over Sanchez, Kolb or Campbell but that really isn't saying much.

Cleve
12-27-2011, 08:45 AM

I don't know. Drew Brees was the Charger QB before Rivers, and San Diego cut Brees loose only because Drew wanted top 5 QB money! Well, duh - he may be one of the top 5 QBs of ALL TIME let alone a single season. Nice work, San Diego!

Because Rivers isn't winning championships in SD doesn't mean he might not be able to do so elsewhere. The difference between a quality QB like Rivers and a career journeyman back-up like Fitzpatrick was elegantly showcased in the Bills/San Diego rout.

BTW, Buddy Nix was part of the Chargers front office when Drew Brees was let go. That might make Buffalo Bills fans a bit less optimistic about Nix's personnel selections here.

cgbm
12-27-2011, 09:23 AM
id say

RIVERS - DEFF
Freeman - YES
Bradford - YES, if the team can get some guys around him

The King
12-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Rivers is a cancer.

Cleve
12-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Rivers is a cancer.

Did you say that about Drew Brees before him? LOL

The last buffalo fan
12-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Rivers is a cancer.

Actually he is a :

S • A • G • I • T • T • A • R • I • U • S. The Sexy one

Spontaneous. Horny. Freak in Bed. Great when found. Loves being in long relationships. The one. So much love to give. Not one to mess with. Very pretty. Very romantic. Nice to everyone They meet. Their Love is one of a kind. Silly, fun and sweet. Most caring person you will ever meet! Not the kind of person you wanna mess with you might end up crying.

4 years of bad luck if you do not repost.

Philip Rivers #17 QB
San Diego Chargers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/profile?team=SD) | Official Team Site (http://www.chargers.com/)
Height: 6-5 Weight: 228 Age: 30
Born: 12/8/1981 Decatur , AL
College: North Carolina State
Experience: 8th season
High School: Athens HS AL

Extremebillsfan247
12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Answer this question for a moment. What's the difference between an elite QB, and a Franchise QB? are they 1 in the same? or 2 different labels in which to categorize a QB in the NFL? In my opinion they do not carry the same meaning.

My point here is that not everyone is going to view the franchise QB label in the same scope. Some may put a higher emphasis on what it takes to qualify than others based on whether they consider a franchise QB an elite, or whether its just a QB who happens to be a teams starting QB at the time etc..

Cleve
12-27-2011, 10:19 AM
hahaha, the bar for "Franchise QB" in Buffalo is pretty damn low! :lol:

Pretty much the primary qualification is; Get hired as a backup and be warming the bench when the coach is looking for a quarterback to start.

YardRat
12-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't know. Drew Brees was the Charger QB before Rivers, and San Diego cut Brees loose only because Drew wanted top 5 QB money! Well, duh - he may be one of the top 5 QBs of ALL TIME let alone a single season. Nice work, San Diego!

Because Rivers isn't winning championships in SD doesn't mean he might not be able to do so elsewhere. The difference between a quality QB like Rivers and a career journeyman back-up like Fitzpatrick was elegantly showcased in the Bills/San Diego rout.

BTW, Buddy Nix was part of the Chargers front office when Drew Brees was let go. That might make Buffalo Bills fans a bit less optimistic about Nix's personnel selections here.

No way Brees is Top 5 of all time yet...not even close.

EricStratton
12-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Has there been any worse big time QB in crunch time then Philip Rivers?

YardRat
12-27-2011, 05:23 PM

Peyton Manning's pretty close, IMO.

better days
12-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Yes, Tony Romo

Night Train
12-27-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Phillip Rivers is a franchise QB.
I'd take Brees over him 10 out of 10 times.

Rivers can look downright terrible in many games and blames others. Reportedly an *******. Would never want him.

better days
12-27-2011, 05:49 PM

Rivers can look downright terrible in many games and blames others. Reportedly an *******. Would never want him.

Imagine how different the NFL would be today if the Chargers kept Brees & traded Rivers. Imagine what they could have got for him, aside from what they got from the Giants.

I think it was a HUGE mistake by the Chargers to let Brees go.

Cleve
12-27-2011, 06:02 PM
I think it was a HUGE mistake by the Chargers to let Brees go.

What an understatement - LOL

Every headline touting the success of Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints must feel like a knife to the heart of anyone that worked in Chargers talent department involved with recruiting Drew Brees.

"you kept Rivers and let Brees go....." I would mutter that again and again again in meetings at their office were I one of those guys.

Philagape
12-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Rivers just made the Pro Bowl :rofl:

The Jokeman
12-27-2011, 10:16 PM
What an understatement - LOL

Every headline touting the success of Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints must feel like a knife to the heart of anyone that worked in Chargers talent department involved with recruiting Drew Brees.

"you kept Rivers and let Brees go....." I would mutter that again and again again in meetings at their office were I one of those guys.
Let's also not forget that they have Rivers because Eli Manning wouldn't play for the Chargers. Say what you want but it looks like Eli knew what he was doing by forcing himself to be traded.

better days
12-27-2011, 10:30 PM

BIG DEAL. Who would you rather have Rivers or Brees?

better days
12-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Let's also not forget that they have Rivers because Eli Manning wouldn't play for the Chargers. Say what you want but it looks like Eli knew what he was doing by forcing himself to be traded.

Eli did not want to play for the Chargers. The Chargers could have traded their pick for Eli to the Giants which they did, Traded the Pick for Rivers & kept Brees. That would have been the SMART thing to do.

The Jokeman
12-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Eli did not want to play for the Chargers. The Chargers could have traded their pick for Eli to the Giants which they did, Traded the Pick for Rivers & kept Brees. That would have been the SMART thing to do.
True. I can't say that AJ Smith's been the best GM in San Diego as to me he's better at talent evaluation than making personnel decisions.

jamze132
12-28-2011, 02:26 AM

Who wouldn't take Brees over 30 other QBs?

better days
12-28-2011, 07:53 AM
True. I can't say that AJ Smith's been the best GM in San Diego as to me he's better at talent evaluation than making personnel decisions.

Agreed, he has been terrible at personnel decisions. Aside from letting Brees walk for nothing, he got rid of Michael Turner & totally screwed up the Vincent Jackson situation.

Since Nix left the Chargers, their draft has suffered as well so I'm not sure about his talent evaluation either.

I think it is a given Norve is fired after the season ends & would not be surprised to see Smith fired along with him. The Chargers have gotten worse since they fired Marty & Hired Norve, I think you can blame that on Smith.

PTI
12-28-2011, 08:11 AM

Who else could they take? Schaub is hurt. Matt Moore is slightly rated higher (Brady, Schaub, Ben, Moore, then Rivers 5th), Rivers is 2nd in yards and TD passes, how in the world is he not the choice if they pick 3?

TacklingDummy
12-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Jim Kelly.

JoeMama
12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Philip Rivers had an off year but he's definitely a franchise QB.

I think he had issues with his sternum, which is why he struggled with the deep ball this season. He'll bounce back.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

The Jokeman
12-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Jim Kelly.
Sad but tue but than again Kelly was "good enough" to get us through the first few rounds of the playoffs.

TigerJ
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Philip Rivers has enough of a legacy to retain the franchise label, despite a sub par season this year. I don't think anyone else on the list really has enough of a positive history to warrant that label, though some could ascend to that reputation in the future.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2011, 08:18 PM

Mark Sanchez.
Jason Campbell.
Philip Rivers.
Josh Freeman.
Kevin Kolb.
Sam Bradford.

Rivers still is. Even in a down year for him, it's a huge year for other guys. 4k + yards, 24 TDs, 86.6 rating. His INTs being up is a concern though.

Bradford might be, he's having a HUGE sophomore slump though. Next year at this time we'll see if he was the QB he was last year or if he's this version.

The other guys? Never thought they were...the only intriguing guy on the list is Kolb IF he could ever stay healthy.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Peyton Manning's pretty close, IMO.

This is why I think Brady is the best QB in the NFL...Brees is a close second.

Manning tends to wither in the big game situation.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2011, 08:21 PM
BIG DEAL. Who would you rather have Rivers or Brees?

Anyone who would say Rivers over Brees at this point would be either an idiot, a Charger fan or someone who doesn't really watch NFL games.

PTI
12-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I actually wish the Bills made a run at Carson Palmer, but he would have vetoed the trade. He is way better than Fitzpatrick still.

better days
12-29-2011, 11:49 AM
I actually wish the Bills made a run at Carson Palmer, but he would have vetoed the trade. He is way better than Fitzpatrick still.

No argument that Palmer is better than Fitz, but the Raiders gave up an awful lot to get him.

PTI
12-29-2011, 11:53 AM
No argument that Palmer is better than Fitz, but the Raiders gave up an awful lot to get him.

Yeah, they really did, for that asking price it was a lot.