1) Courtney Upshaw- OLB- Alabama
2) Donta' Hightower- ILB- Alabama
3) Brandon Boykin- CB- Georgia
4a) Andrew Datko- OT- Florida St
4b) Brandon Weeden- QB- Okl St
5) Marvin McNutt- WR- Iowa
6) Nate Potter- OT/OG- Boise St
7) Jordan White- WR- Western Michigan

Back to back Bama players? I think LB continues to be a big need and both could help us. Upshaw is ideal and Hightower could be a force in the middle. Both look like decent value where we pick.

Weeden? Comes from a spread but has a good head on his shoulders and is a winner. Considering we run a spread like set, I like it. McShay projects him in the 2nd or 3rd but I think his footwork and coming from a spread hurts his stock and drops him to the 4th.

Datko? He reminds me of a poor mans Costanzo. He needs to add strength but has good quickness.

methos4ever
12-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Two things X,
1 - Boykins is 5'9? 5'10? If Buddy keeps up with his habits from SD and the last two drafts, he won't draft anyone under 6' at corner.

2 - Weeden, while a good candidate for all the reasons you stated is 28 and wouldn't fit their description of the "10 year guy" to replace Fitz as QB.

I like the back to back picks of the 'Bama boys, especially since both can play inside and out, allowing others to specialize on just being outside (moats) or just inside.

Oh, and don't forget the conditional for Marshawn, believe it's a six that can be a five?

DraftBoy
12-28-2011, 07:08 AM

Back to back Bama players? I think LB continues to be a big need and both could help us. Upshaw is ideal and Hightower could be a force in the middle. Both look like decent value where we pick.

Weeden? Comes from a spread but has a good head on his shoulders and is a winner. Considering we run a spread like set, I like it. McShay projects him in the 2nd or 3rd but I think his footwork and coming from a spread hurts his stock and drops him to the 4th.

Datko? He reminds me of a poor mans Costanzo. He needs to add strength but has good quickness.

Two issues;

1. Datko is returning to school on a waiver from his injury
2. I can't see Weeden falling that far as of now even with the age thing. I think he's a 2nd-3rd Rounder to a team that may feel like its only a QB away or a team with a coach who wants to win quickly (Miami is an ideal landing spot)

The rest isn't bad, I still see Upshaw as an ILB so I don't like taking two of those but that will develop in time.

DraftBoy
12-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Two things X,
1 - Boykins is 5'9? 5'10? If Buddy keeps up with his habits from SD and the last two drafts, he won't draft anyone under 6' at corner.

2 - Weeden, while a good candidate for all the reasons you stated is 28 and wouldn't fit their description of the "10 year guy" to replace Fitz as QB.

I like the back to back picks of the 'Bama boys, especially since both can play inside and out, allowing others to specialize on just being outside (moats) or just inside.

Oh, and don't forget the conditional for Marshawn, believe it's a six that can be a five?

I don't believe Marshawn hit the escalator.

X-Era
12-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Two things X,

Oh, and don't forget the conditional for Marshawn, believe it's a six that can be a five?Rogers is under 6' as is Searcy.

On Weeden, I'm really not worried about his age. Even if you get 8 years instead of 10, so what. And I don't think there is a set age where QB's need to retire.

X-Era
12-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Two issues;

1. Datko is returning to school on a waiver from his injury
2. I can't see Weeden falling that far as of now even with the age thing. I think he's a 2nd-3rd Rounder to a team that may feel like its only a QB away or a team with a coach who wants to win quickly (Miami is an ideal landing spot)

The rest isn't bad, I still see Upshaw as an ILB so I don't like taking two of those but that will develop in time.Thanks for the update on Datko... Lot's going on and I haven't been up to speed.

methos4ever
12-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Rogers is under 6' as is Searcy.

On Weeden, I'm really not worried about his age. Even if you get 8 years instead of 10, so what. And I don't think there is a set age where QB's need to retire.
I'm just going by what they've said in particular with QB numerous times.

On Rogers, I was referring to corners and not safeties as it's awful hard to find that many safeties over 6'. Rogers you have me on, but every outside corner he's had a hand in getting (from Jammer til now) has been a 6', claimed or true.

methos4ever
12-28-2011, 07:31 AM
What was the escalator? I cannot for the life of me find it. Either way, there's another pick to be had for next year in the 6th!

SabreEleven
12-28-2011, 07:44 AM
McNutt would be a nice addition just like Leivtre and Wood.

better days
12-28-2011, 08:58 AM

If he didn't hit it it must have been STEEP. Lynch has played well since he got to Seattle, scoring the only rushing TD against the 49ers this season.

He will be a FA after this season & I know Seattle wants him back in a big way.

I just read on Profootballtalk.com that Lynch is a Pro Bowl alternate.

The Jokeman
12-28-2011, 09:09 AM

You do realize that Weeden is overaged and due to be 30 in 2013? So he doesn't have much time to develop being 1 year younger than Fitz. Just say no to Chris Weinke Part 2.

Jan Reimers
12-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I still think we need a big time WR, who would be our #1 to Stevie's #2. We need a faster guy with more consistent hands.

I don't think we can count on Easley, and Parrish, Jones, Nelson, et. al. are good 3-5 guys.

We still need that big #1 guy to stretch the field.

PTI
12-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Weeden can only go to a team like Green Bay, who might just trade Matt Flynn (or if he a FA, let him go), and let him be the #2. He is not even a stop gap starter, and would not projected to be. Other teams are Pittsburgh, San Diego, and the Giants.

If teams like the Bills, Jets, or Ravens take him, he immediately could play, but I do believe any of those teams believe he is long term, they are just not very happy with their QB and want someone else in there until they find someone else. Now, this isn't stop gap starter like Fitz, this is more of we dislike who we have.

Ed
12-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I still think we need a big time WR, who would be our #1 to Stevie's #2. We need a faster guy with more consistent hands.

I don't think we can count on Easley, and Parrish, Jones, Nelson, et. al. are good 3-5 guys.

Based on Ralph's recent comments, I'm thinking that WR is going to be a big free agent priority. There are a lot of good free agent WR's hitting the market this year, and I expect the Bills to be aggressive pursuing at least one of them that they really like. If they're serious about Fitz needing more weapons at WR then they need to add a significant free agent because you can't really depend on rookie WR's to step in immediately and make an impact. Guys like AJ Green are pretty rare.

Don't Panic
12-28-2011, 10:19 AM

We could use a size guy as a #2 or #3, but the style of offense Chan runs lends to the corp of WRs we have. I would love to see that group healthy... those 5. Throw in a halfway decent TE and I think we'd be fine. The key is getting the ball to them.

Lone Stranger
12-28-2011, 10:31 AM
I believe you have the right mix of players. The kid from Western Michigan could be a late bloomer ala Stevie Johnson.

dannyek71
12-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Trade up for the Baylor QB and just draft OL the rest of the way.

kingJofNYC
12-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Potter may go way before the 5th, would be alright with landing Upshaw and Hightower. Neither is exceptional but they're solid players.

Jan Reimers
12-28-2011, 12:24 PM
We could use a size guy as a #2 or #3, but the style of offense Chan runs lends to the corp of WRs we have. I would love to see that group healthy... those 5. Throw in a halfway decent TE and I think we'd be fine. The key is getting the ball to them.
I see your point, and I like our receiving corps. It does fit Chan's spread offense with its more horizontal attack.

I still think, however, that Stevie's hands (or focus or concentration) are too inconsistent for a #1. A guy with better hands and speed would give us the vertical dimension that we are lacking, which would really open up the field.

If we get our #1 guy in FA, fine. Otherwise, I really think we should draft a top WR. A true #1, plus Johnson, Nelson, Parrish, Jones and perhaps Easley would give us a top notch group.

better days
12-28-2011, 12:24 PM

I agree, but think the Bills need a couple OLBs much more than a WR. If Easly can come back & stay healthy, he could be that WR the Bills need.

Jan Reimers
12-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I agree, but think the Bills need a couple OLBs much more than a WR. If Easly can come back & stay healthy, he could be that WR the Bills need.
I agree that we need a couple of pass rushers - either 2 OLBs or an OLB and a DE - as by far our top defensive priorities.

WR, I think, ranks just below the pass rush need. I would love Easley to develop into that guy, but I don't think we can plan on it.

I would be all for getting 2 pass rushers and a premier wide receiver in FA and the first 2 rounds of the draft.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Trade up for the Baylor QB and just draft OL the rest of the way.
LOL
that's not happenin'
that would generate WAY too much excitement for ol' Ralphie

Don't Panic
12-28-2011, 03:58 PM
I see your point, and I like our receiving corps. It does fit Chan's spread offense with its more horizontal attack.

I still think, however, that Stevie's hands (or focus or concentration) are too inconsistent for a #1. A guy with better hands and speed would give us the vertical dimension that we are lacking, which would really open up the field.

If we get our #1 guy in FA, fine. Otherwise, I really think we should draft a top WR. A true #1, plus Johnson, Nelson, Parrish, Jones and perhaps Easley would give us a top notch group.
I'd like to see four of those guys be "#2s". In other words, get somewhere in the vicinity of 50-70 catches for 700-900 yards a piece. Kind of a poor man's 1990 Houston Oilers. Defenses wouldn't know where to look, especially if we had a healthy Fred and CJ to compliment it. The OLine is solid for this system... all we need is good health and an accurate Fitz and I think we may be there (although that may be asking too much).

Point being, attention needs to be paid to the D, especially the Front 7 IMO. One pass rusher (and health to the others) and we all of a sudden have above average DBs and hold opposing offenses to under 20 more times than not.

Jan Reimers
12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I'd like to see four of those guys be "#2s". In other words, get somewhere in the vicinity of 50-70 catches for 700-900 yards a piece. Kind of a poor man's 1990 Houston Oilers. Defenses wouldn't know where to look, especially if we had a healthy Fred and CJ to compliment it. The OLine is solid for this system... all we need is good health and an accurate Fitz and I think we may be there (although that may be asking too much).

Point being, attention needs to be paid to the D, especially the Front 7 IMO. One pass rusher (and health to the others) and we all of a sudden have above average DBs and hold opposing offenses to under 20 more times than not.
Totally agree, as long as one of the #2s is a speed guy. Our inability to stretch the field - along with our putrid pass rush - cost us several wins last year.

If we fix these two glaring weaknesses, we will be in much better shape going into next year.

Night Train
12-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I would be surprised to see Jordan White last until Round 7.

Hands of glue,great patterns. Around 240 catches the last 2 years. 6 foot 215 lbs. 1st team All-American. Clutch WR.

I do like that draft.

methos4ever
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Would love to see a guy with speed out of this draft, even if it's a tight end to double up with Chandler ala Pats and Niners...

dannyek71
12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
An easy way to predict the Bills draft. Decide on the most illogical path, and go with that.

tampabay25690
12-29-2011, 05:21 AM
Nice draft.
Don't think Weeden lasts till the 4th now, especially pending on what RG3 and Landry Jones do.
Jordan White after that Bowl game probably moves up IMO, reminds me of a poor man Hines Ward. Great hands and impressed me a ton in that game...
Luv the back to back Bama players because you know for sure they are ready for the next level...
I for 1 think Upshaw stays on the outside.

X-Era
12-29-2011, 07:01 AM
On Floyd, I like him but he just seems stiff to me. If you watch his tape, he just doesn't seem fluid or loose. He plays very stiff. But he's a brawler, he has decent hands, and would be a solid possession type WR.