PDA

View Full Version : Bills' O-line holds down sack total

superbills
12-29-2011, 09:21 AM
"Everybody's on the same page," said tackle Erik Pears. "It's a collective effort, not just the linemen, but the quarterback, receivers and running backs. Whether it's backs picking up their guys or chipping guys on the edge, or the quarterback getting the ball out quick, receivers being on time, then it helps us five up front being on the same page, making the right calls and sticking to our technique."

The Bills' total of 21 sacks allowed is tied with Tennessee for the fewest in the league. In terms of sacks allowed per pass attempted, the Bills stand third, behind Tennessee and New Orleans, which has yielded 26 sacks but attempted the most passes in the league behind record-setting quarterback Drew Brees.

So if the line isn't the problem, is this a clear indictment on Fitz, the receivers, or the coaches. Or a combo of those?

Read the rest:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article688857.ece

mysticsoto
12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
"Everybody's on the same page," said tackle Erik Pears. "It's a collective effort, not just the linemen, but the quarterback, receivers and running backs. Whether it's backs picking up their guys or chipping guys on the edge, or the quarterback getting the ball out quick, receivers being on time, then it helps us five up front being on the same page, making the right calls and sticking to our technique."

The Bills' total of 21 sacks allowed is tied with Tennessee for the fewest in the league. In terms of sacks allowed per pass attempted, the Bills stand third, behind Tennessee and New Orleans, which has yielded 26 sacks but attempted the most passes in the league behind record-setting quarterback Drew Brees.

So if the line isn't the problem, is this a clear indictment on Fitz, the receivers, or the coaches. Or a combo of those?

Read the rest:

Fitz gets rid of the ball fast, which is why the line hasn't had alot of sacks against it. But look at the interceptions he's done. Some of them are on him - sure, he's had some bad throws in the 2nd half of the season. But I'd be interested in seeing stats/percentages on how many of those were rushed throws that caused ints also...

Also, in the beginning of the season, most of FJ's runs were b'cse of him - not b'cse of the line opening huge holes for him. I still think we need more run maulers in there. At the very least, we need MUCH better depth.

djjimkelly
12-29-2011, 09:30 AM
CREDIT gaileys system

im excited to see what our team becomes when we get another 2 wrs

Forward_Lateral
12-29-2011, 09:32 AM
The O-line is a bunch of talentless bums, remember? They all suck and need to be replaced, because the roster has zero talent.

/sarcasm

Forward_Lateral
12-29-2011, 09:33 AM
You credit FJ more than the O-line for his runs. That's fine. What about Spiller? Is it because he's that talented that he's running well since Freddy went down?

Jan Reimers
12-29-2011, 09:41 AM
The O-line has done a nice job, despite a rash of injuries. Levitre has really played well at LG, and has filled in decently at OT and C. Wood was playing at an All-Pro level before his injury, and Pears and Urbik have been pleasant surprises.

If Wood and Urbik can come back from their injuries, and Hairston can get the job done at LT, I don't see the need for using an early draft pick on the O-line.

Hairston, Levitre, Wood, Pears and Urbik could give us a very good line, with Bell and Rinehart as primary backups.

I think our major weakness on offense, besides the injury to Freddie and the reluctance to use CJ enough, is lack of a speed receiver who can stretch the field - not the O-line.

djjimkelly
12-29-2011, 09:44 AM
I think our major weakness on offense, besides the injury to Freddie and the reluctance to use CJ enough, is lack of a speed receiver who can stretch the field - not the O-line.

what ive been saying for weeks get 2 wrs for this offense and watch out

and honestly freddie or CJ it doesnt ,matter but ill take CJ his speed is a true difference maker not thaqt freddie isnt elusive and such CJ has double the talent and alot younger

mysticsoto
12-29-2011, 09:47 AM
You credit FJ more than the O-line for his runs. That's fine. What about Spiller? Is it because he's that talented that he's running well since Freddy went down?

Yes and no. CJ has improved, I'll give him fair credit. But the run blocking also improved - surprisingly...despite the multiple injuries they've had. I'll give them credit there also.

My objection is more that I think we should be a run first team and we are not. I don't want to have to rely on Fitz arm or the Oline blocking long enough for him NOT to throw an int. I want to rely on FJ and CJ more. I don't think the Oline is geared for that right now.

Mind you, I don't think they are a bad batch - just not geared for what I want the team to do.

zone
12-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Pretty amazing for an O-line that has had as much injuries and as much shuffling as they have had.

Forward_Lateral
12-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Yes and no. CJ has improved, I'll give him fair credit. But the run blocking also improved - surprisingly...despite the multiple injuries they've had. I'll give them credit there also.

My objection is more that I think we should be a run first team and we are not. I don't want to have to rely on Fitz arm or the Oline blocking long enough for him NOT to throw an int. I want to rely on FJ and CJ more. I don't think the Oline is geared for that right now.

Mind you, I don't think they are a bad batch - just not geared for what I want the team to do.

The fact that they are the 11th in the NFL in rushing with over 1800 yards, despite being behind in a lot of games should tell you that the O-line is more than capable of being a run-first Offensive unit. The fact that they aren't a run first team has zero to do with the O-line and everything to do with the Offensive scheme and play calling.

mysticsoto
12-29-2011, 11:15 AM
The fact that they are the 11th in the NFL in rushing with over 1800 yards, despite being behind in a lot of games should tell you that the O-line is more than capable of being a run-first Offensive unit. The fact that they aren't a run first team has zero to do with the O-line and everything to do with the Offensive scheme and play calling.

I don't agree. Chan has set up a scheme and calls plays according to what this unit is capable of. He's been very creative and 11th is decent (slightly above average) but not great. Top 5 means you're great. Top 10 good. 10-20 is average, 20-25 below avg, under 25 u suck big time.

FJ was having a probowl level year before he went down. That accts for the high yardage we have. But in my opinion, he did alot of it on his own - not b'cse of the front line. They did improve as the year went on, which accts for Spiller doing reasonably well when he was thrown in. But to me, a great run 1st team is one where you know the run is coming, and you still can't stop it. I don't think we have that.

YardRat
12-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Our o-line may not outright suck but they leave a lot to be desired and could certainly use at least a couple of upgrades.

Woods is OK. That's not good enough.
Levitre is becoming a stud. Congratulations.
Urbick--see Wood.
Bell and Pears suck, Hairston is a rookie who hasn't developed enough yet. Whether he does, and where (LT or RT) remains to be seen.

Mystic has it nailed...the low sack total is due more to the system and Fitz, and even though Spiller is performing better than he has in the past he still is nowhere near Freddie, who got most of his yards on his own or despite the ineptness of the offensive line.

BillsFever21
12-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Our sack total is skewed because of our short passing game. When all you try is quick slants, screens, etc and two or three second routes you're not going to give up many sacks. That's just obvious without having to evaluate the line.

Lets actually try more intermediate and deep passes and see what our sack total would be. It would definitely be much higher and at best around league average with other teams that played that way.

mjt328
12-29-2011, 08:28 PM
As others have posted, the biggest help to the o-line has been the short passing game and Fitz's ability to get rid of the ball quickly.

But that isn't to say that the offensive line hasn't played well.
Don't forget that they also led the way for the NFL's top rushing attack, prior to Fred Jackson going down with an injury.

Overall, the group has come together nicely. We just need a better starter at left tackle. I don't think Bell or Hairston are good enough to consistently take on the league's top pass rushers.

We also need more depth on the team - especially at center. The snapper handles the ball on every single offensive play. There is no excuse for going into the season without a backup plan if he gets hurt.

Philagape
12-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Jackson is and always has been good at getting through tight spaces and breaking tackles. That gets him 6-8 yards that a lesser back might not get.
But this year, Fred broke several long ones that he wasn't known for previously, and that's because the line gave him huge holes, most often between Wood and Levitre. Both of them took the next step into the elite this year.

Forward_Lateral
12-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Jackson is and always has been good at getting through tight spaces and breaking tackles. That gets him 6-8 yards that a lesser back might not get.
But this year, Fred broke several long ones that he wasn't known for previously, and that's because the line gave him huge holes, most often between Wood and Levitre. Both of them took the next step into the elite this year.

Thank you. Post of the year.

casdhf
12-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Also, CJ has filled in nicely.

better days
12-30-2011, 07:17 AM

Well, because of the current rules in the NFL, this has become a pass FIRST league.

I am MUCH more concerned about the passing attack/lack of a FAST WR to stretch the field than I am about the running game.

YardRat
12-31-2011, 10:59 AM

Levitre maybe...Wood, not so much, even before he was injured.

Look back at some of the highlites of Freddie's runs...they usually aren't the result of gaping holes, especially the one against Oakland where Bell got blown up so badly the DE basically played himself out of position.

cookie G
12-31-2011, 12:04 PM

Read the rest:

Rex Ryan summed it up best a few weeks ago:

"Kid gets rid of the ball in under two seconds, like 1.3 seconds, and that's a good thing or a bad thing," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "So we know we're not going to sack him, they're first in the NFL in sacks allowed, and we never had a sack against him the last time we played, and that's okay with us."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article647383.ece

I guess you can say is that they usually don't let someone in cleanly, they can get in someone's way for a second.

But this isn't a line that will consistently provide even 3 seconds of protection.

Syderick
12-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Short passing, with Fitz's mobility and getting the ball out quickly helps alot. But Bills still need to get some Depth.