PDA

View Full Version : Extension deadline for 2011 cap space...

clumping platelets
12-30-2011, 02:09 AM
expires at 4pm Saturday.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Closing-the-books-on-2011.html

So if the Bills (or any team) want to extend any other players and use 2011 cap space, they must do so by 4pm 12/31

better days
12-30-2011, 07:41 AM
I doubt the Bills want to do that. They will want every dollar counted towards next year.

BillsFever21
12-30-2011, 04:38 PM
It would sure be nice. We are so far under the cap this year that we could extend players like Johnson and others that we want to keep around and add most of the money to this years cap and be in great cap shape for next year and beyond. As the poster above said they wouldn't do that though. They have to make it look like they are spending money next year.

Night Train
12-31-2011, 08:32 AM
expires at 4pm Saturday.

So if the Bills (or any team) want to extend any other players and use 2011 cap space, they must do so by 4pm 12/31

Hurry and extend Kelsay. It's been at least a month since his 11th extension.

What are they waiting for ? :trance:

clumping platelets
12-31-2011, 09:19 AM
:gag:

YardRat
12-31-2011, 09:56 AM
It would sure be nice. We are so far under the cap this year that we could extend players like Johnson and others that we want to keep around and add most of the money to this years cap and be in great cap shape for next year and beyond. As the poster above said they wouldn't do that though. They have to make it look like they are spending money next year.

So just how far under the cap are we at the moment?

clumping platelets
12-31-2011, 09:58 AM
About $15 million

YardRat
12-31-2011, 10:11 AM
About $15 million

Nice guess...I don't think anybody really knows, or has legitimate supporting documentation to reveal how much cap space the team has left right now.

clumping platelets
12-31-2011, 10:55 AM
I used to :sadwalk:

BillsFever21
01-02-2012, 12:59 AM
So just how far under the cap are we at the moment?

If they didn't use the cash to crap theory we would have a ton of cap space. Even with that slight of hand financing and if we did have about 15 million in cap space that could've went a long ways towards re-signing a player or two. That's just money that's gonna go to waste. You can't roll them over into the next season.

BLeonard
01-02-2012, 01:06 AM
If they didn't use the cash to crap theory we would have a ton of cap space. Even with that slight of hand financing and if we did have about 15 million in cap space that could've went a long ways towards re-signing a player or two. That's just money that's gonna go to waste. You can't roll them over into the next season.

Actually, for 2012 only, teams CAN rollover unused 2011 cap room.

The new CBA has, for the first time, provided teams a valuable benefit: the ability to carry over remaining Cap room into the following year.

In the past, teams would have to go through the charade of “dummy incentives” in order to bring forward Cap room into the next year. I would usually negotiate with our third-string quarterback in the final week of the season with a bonus of “$10 million for 7 touchdown passes.”

The $10 million would then count on the existing Cap and, when unearned, be credited to the next year’s Cap (although there was a scary moment one year where the player with the bonus, Craig Nall, ended up playing most of the final game due to having clinched our playoff spot!).

Teams no longer need to go through that charade. Thus, teams will have adjusted Caps of much more than the projected 2012 Cap number of around $125 million. A team like the Buccaneers, for example, with $25 million remaining in Cap room, may have an adjusted 2012 Cap of close to $150 million.

The question for the NFLPA is: will teams actually spend all of this Cap room? Keep in mind, there are no team spending minimums until 2013, and teams can “free ride” this year and next.

I don't expect the Bills to actually take advantage of this, but it can, in fact, be done for the 2012 season.

-Bill

BillsFever21
01-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Actually, for 2012 only, teams CAN rollover unused 2011 cap room.

I don't expect the Bills to actually take advantage of this, but it can, in fact, be done for the 2012 season.

-Bill

Well that's good they can finally rollover some of it with the new CBA. Like you said though, they won't take advantage of it. I doubt you can just keep rolling it over year after year though or teams like the Bills would end up close to 100 million under the cap over the next 5 years.

clumping platelets
01-03-2012, 06:24 PM
I posted that in the cap forum