PDA

View Full Version : Melvin Ingram vs. Courtney Upshaw vs. Quinton Coples

Don't Panic
12-31-2011, 01:50 PM
I know we are far from consensus, but it seems as though many around here share my view that we need to fortify the pass rush this offseason. Seems as though the three best candidates through the draft are Ingram, Upshaw and Coples. I'd be interested to hear what our in house gurus think about the three and how they'd fit into our front seven with a healthy Williams and a wiser Dareus as the anchors for next year.

How are these guys as pass rushers? Do they have the necessary coverage skills to play OLB, even if only part time? Just curious to hear thoughts on the three.

Ed
12-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Brandon Jenkins of FSU is another guy that's getting attention as a pass rusher.

It sounds to me like Coples is more of a 4-3 DE.

kingJofNYC
12-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Have no idea why Coples has a first round, heck a top ten, grade by the draft talking heads.

7.5 sacks, 4 came against Duke and James Madison. Dude won't get taken in the first, grade A slacker, no motor, I've seen nothing that would warrant a first round pick.

TigerJ
12-31-2011, 03:12 PM
I read that Ingram has been playing DT for South Carolina. If so, that is a huge position switch to make going into the pros. It's not that he can't, but the top third of the first round is pretty early to take someone when you have any question about the ability to make such an significant position switch.

Coples presents a different dilemma. He's been a classic underachiever. He makes plays, but observers often say he looks disinterested. It's said he should dominate a lot more than he has. That could change in the pros, and there is something of a precedent for players of Coples particular dimensions catching fire in the pros. Mario Williams was said to be poorly motivated in college. There is also some uncertainty about where Coples would fit best. I've seen mocks that project him to rush linebacker in a 3-4, mocks that say he's strictly a 4-3 defensive end, mocks that say he's best as a 3-4 defensive end and mocks that say he's scheme and position versatile. Obviously somebody doesn't know what he's talking about, probably more than one somebody.

I think out of that group, Upshaw is probably the safest pick. Take him and you've got an experienced, well coached technically sound player who will be an all around good rush linebacker in the NFL. The problem is, he's not been an elite sackmaster from the rush linebacker spot. Brandon Jenkins has a little more length than Upshaw and has produced more sacks though he may not have been coached as soundly as Upshaw. There are some other guys to consider too. Vinny Curry has been a consistent pass rusher in his college career. Whitney Mercilus had a great season this past year, though I've heard some question whether he has elite athleticism. Zack Brown is undersized, but he can probably carry at least as much mass as Von Miller, and there's no doubt he'd have had sacks in a Bills uniform had the Bills had the opportunity and chose to draft him. I realize not all of these guys represent value in the top ten-twelve picks of the draft, but there are ways to get them later.

Don't Panic
12-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Have no idea why Coples has a first round, heck a top ten, grade by the draft talking heads.

7.5 sacks, 4 came against Duke and James Madison. Dude won't get taken in the first, grade A slacker, no motor, I've seen nothing that would warrant a first round pick.

From what I've read its top 10 talent. Seems like the first of the three that Nix would cross off his list. Still, had to include him in the mix since he probably has the highest ceiling of the bunch.

I have liked Upshaw since I started looking a few weeks ago, but Ingram is a name I'm seeing more and more. I really think one of those two will be in the mix when April comes around.

Happy New Year's everyone. Stay safe.

methos4ever
12-31-2011, 06:38 PM
I read that Ingram has been playing DT for South Carolina. If so, that is a huge position switch to make going into the pros. It's not that he can't, but the top third of the first round is pretty early to take someone when you have any question about the ability to make such an significant position switch.

No worries on Ingram IE the DT thing. He also plays ILB, OLB and DE for them in the scheme. He basically gets to play off the weakest link on the opponent's line and on passing downs team up with future beast DE Clowney and gets after it. I wouldn't mind him at all in the first round, as he's a great rusher and hustles, unlike say Coples. I'm also a fan of Upshaw, but I'm also of the opinion he can play OLB and DE...

Mindbender
12-31-2011, 08:41 PM
What abut Zach Brown? (North Carolina I think)

tampabay25690
12-31-2011, 10:25 PM

Wow finally someone that sees the same thing I do....great post

tampabay25690
12-31-2011, 10:25 PM
What abut Zach Brown? (North Carolina I think)
Nice looking OLB

X-Era
01-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Coples is this years version of a finesse rusher who takes some plays off. Every year there are guys like this. He's this years Michael Johnson, Calais Campbell. He could become a good pro but Im not a fan of his questionable motor.

Ingram isn't great as a rusher at this point and may not have ideal range to cover in a 3-4 OLD dot I think he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Upshaw is the best for the Bills out of this group. Love his play.

tampabay25690
01-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Coples is this years version of a finesse rusher who takes some plays off. Every year there are guys like this. He's this years Michael Johnson, Calais Campbell. He could become a good pro but Im not a fan of his questionable motor.

Ingram isn't great as a rusher at this point and may not have ideal range to cover in a 3-4 OLD dot I think he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Upshaw is the best for the Bills out of this group. Love his play.

Luv Upshaw as well.
I know DB thinks he will be a ILB but I still think he plays OLB in the NFL..

Raptor
01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I like Nick Perry out of USC

tampabay25690
01-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I like Nick Perry out of USC

gOOD PLAYER 2ND ROUNDER